Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Dark Descent is an absolutely fantastic game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I got DBD a little over a week ago and have been putting a shitload of time (and money!) into it since. I haven’t been this into a video game in years. i thought my days of shirking responsibilities to game were behind me and this brought them back in a major way.

Michael Myers gets superpowers from creepily staring at people and breathing heavily, Pinhead drives people insane with chains and the Cube, poo poo like that. you can be Pyramid Head, cover the map in broken glass and force humans to walk through it to rescue their friends from the cage you put them in to think about their sins. you can be Freddy Krueger and show up in unexpected places, send humans to dreamland and chase them while their furniture grabs them and holds em in place. you can kill Nicolas Cage! And you will, a lot of times, if you’re lucky only once a game.

it unfortunately is one of those games where there are 0 places online to read or discuss it. every community discussion is complaining about the devs. you’d think they were ICE camp guards the way people talk about them everywhere. the community threads are useless and every guide is written by an AI so if you want to be decent be prepared to gently caress up your YouTube algorithm or hit up our thread. i hit the highest rank yesterday and got it a little more than a week ago, you can definitely get up to speed quick.

if I mostly gamed with friends I would probably not like it as much since you have to play as the Survivor, but they all play cod and Diablo 4 and Fortnite so I have been a solo gamer of late.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I got DBD a little over a week ago and have been putting a shitload of time (and money!) into it since. I haven’t been this into a video game in years. i thought my days of shirking responsibilities to game were behind me and this brought them back in a major way.

Michael Myers gets superpowers from creepily staring at people and breathing heavily, Pinhead drives people insane with chains and the Cube, poo poo like that. you can be Pyramid Head, cover the map in broken glass and force humans to walk through it to rescue their friends from the cage you put them in to think about their sins. you can be Freddy Krueger and show up in unexpected places, send humans to dreamland and chase them while their furniture grabs them and holds em in place. you can kill Nicolas Cage! And you will, a lot of times, if you’re lucky only once a game.

it unfortunately is one of those games where there are 0 places online to read or discuss it. every community discussion is complaining about the devs. you’d think they were ICE camp guards the way people talk about them everywhere. the community threads are useless and every guide is written by an AI so if you want to be decent be prepared to gently caress up your YouTube algorithm or hit up our thread. i hit the highest rank yesterday and got it a little more than a week ago, you can definitely get up to speed quick.

if I mostly gamed with friends I would probably not like it as much since you have to play as the Survivor, but they all play cod and Diablo 4 and Fortnite so I have been a solo gamer of late.

We have a thread for DBD and we'd be happy to give you tips and answer questions.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935519&pagenumber=457&perpage=40

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The core of DbD as well as what it's grown into is undoubtedly fun! There really isn't any other place so many major horror franchises can cross over and meet. In a perfect world, it's s just a fun game to play and chill in!

The main issue at this point is around the random rear end community rules, tribalism between killers and survivors that foster it, and just plain ol' burn out from folks that don't know how to put the game down for a while when they've played it too much.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
you can never truly kill nicholas cage

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DBD's biggest problem is the community, but Behavior keeps everyone hooked in so your soul rots away and they keep making money.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

you can never truly kill nicholas cage

Not even with bees?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_mW8mBzmHo
classic's of youtube

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it unfortunately is one of those games where there are 0 places online to read or discuss it. every community discussion is complaining about the devs. you’d think they were ICE camp guards the way people talk about them everywhere.

One thing the dbd thread is going to tell you is otzdarva.com otz is one of the most popular streamers and literally knows and understands the game better than the devs do (posting videos 8 hours after a patch correcting wrong dev info etc). His site has every resource you could want for looking up specific killers and builds, or broad mechanic overviews. If this game got its entity hooks into you, good luck, see ya in a few thousand hours and you too will learn to hate the devs. I'm at 2500 hrs and feel I'm nowhere near any skillcaps, game just has a million interactions to consider and use at any given point.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

this implies the possibility of stunning a xenomorph by smashing it with a rotten old palette of wood and I find that surprisingly humorous

Not that it wasn't already when people are doing it to, like, cenobites or eight-foot-tall muscle mutants

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Thought DBD has a really bad cheating problem?
Used to watch videos on it, usually ended with hackers just insta killing or sprinting away.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

One problem is that a lot of people only very subtly cheated, like a couple more % movespeed and poo poo, which BHVR liked to handwave as just vaguely deniable enough that some kind of interaction happened and that was IF someone jumped through the hoops to like serious report them in the first place.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Instant Grat posted:

Almost through RE Revelations, which is very, like.... fine. It passes the time and it's fun enough, I suppose. Think I'm gonna take a break from Biohazard before picking up again with RE6. Maybe I'll jump back to Fatal Frame and dust off that FF3 disc that's been sitting on my shelf for years, see what they got monks sacrificing young girls for this go around.

RE really doesn't give two shits for keeping the same voice actors for the same characters between games, do they

I lied, I went straight onto RE6.

It's actually really fun so far? Dumb as hell, obviously, but it's miles and miles above the peasoup-filter turd that was RE5. No more having to babysit the AI partner! Fun melee attacks in between your gun combos! You can shift healing items out of your main inventory so they don't take up space there! Dual-wielding pistols for very little practical benefit!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Instant Grat posted:

It's actually really fun so far? Dumb as hell, obviously, but it's miles and miles above the peasoup-filter turd that was RE5. No more having to babysit the AI partner! Fun melee attacks in between your gun combos! You can shift healing items out of your main inventory so they don't take up space there! Dual-wielding pistols for very little practical benefit!

Just make sure to look up some of the finer details of the combat system, since the game tells you pretty much nothing.

High score merc runs are a work of art.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I liked 5 :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

this implies the possibility of stunning a xenomorph by smashing it with a rotten old palette of wood and I find that surprisingly humorous

Not that it wasn't already when people are doing it to, like, cenobites or eight-foot-tall muscle mutants

Don't forget you'll be blinding it with a flashlight too. I always laugh when I get blinded as Pyramid Head, through his giant helmet with no eye holes

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

dogstile posted:

I liked 5 :(

I couldn't get over the desaturated green filter that's overlayed on top of the camera for the whole game. Or the whole "babysitting Sheva and dealing with the awful inventory" thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

5 requires a co-op partner to be vaguely playable

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm a solo man through and through, unless it's a Soulslike type situation

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sakurazuka posted:

5 requires a co-op partner to be vaguely playable

Luckily i had this. That didn't save 6 for me, i hated 6.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My roommate and I played RE5 from like 8 PM all the way through to the early morning in one sleep-deprived experience, it was great, absolutely would kill me if I tried it today, have never touched the game since.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

There's a mod/ trainer that makes RE5 ok solo by giving your partner infinite ammo/health, otherwise it's pretty bad without a friend. RE 6 does much better in making coop optional.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

I'm in the camp that enjoys 6 to some extent, it's definitely better than 5 and there's a lot of fun to be had in there, even if the whole thing is still kind of an uneven mess. The melee system is pretty great, although it's weird how little of it is actually communicated to you by the game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm the resident 6 defender, unironically enjoy that game so much.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Captain Hygiene posted:

The melee system is pretty great, although it's weird how little of it is actually communicated to you by the game.

I just naturally gravited towards it based on not wanting to waste ammo if I could avoid it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The combat and gameplay for 6 is pretty fine and even good in a lot of ways.

It unfortunately does not help the trash fire stories, terrible gimmick levels or horrible pacing. 6 is just bad overall.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'd like to try out dbd but like most multi-player games I am afraid of being viciously torn apart and spitroasted for being bad

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Meowywitch posted:

I'd like to try out dbd but like most multi-player games I am afraid of being viciously torn apart and spitroasted for being bad

Turn off chat and just have fun. You'll lose a lot when you first start out, but after a few hundred hours you'll....well, you'll still lose a lot but hey, you're playing against horror movie villains.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Meowywitch posted:

There's no voice chat and the only text chatting there is post game that you can just exit out of and never deal with. If you die early in the game to you can just leave and queue for another match. You'll never have to deal with the community if you don't want to.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Just wrapped up Leon's campaign in RE6.

I am absolutely puzzled that this is supposed to be "the really bad one". This rules?? Also it seems to be beefy as all hell in terms of content and playtime - only done with 1 out of 4 campaigns, and I'm almost 10 hours in.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Leon's campaign was great. I only got halfway thru Chris and Peirs' but there's was def way more boring

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
RE6 was just not what anyone wanted out of a resident evil game, be it original or RE4 style - the hyper linear stage based structure especially feels really off, and the incredibly lame "do this really simple puzzle while infinitely respawning zombies attack" trick shows up constantly instead of any, like, actual design.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The whole game's length is a big thing, too, it wears you down. I've said before that there's more cumulative fun in there than some of the shorter, newer games, it's just spread throughout the whole 25 hours or whatever instead of being a tight 6 or 7 total.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Yardbomb posted:

One problem is that a lot of people only very subtly cheated, like a couple more % movespeed and poo poo, which BHVR liked to handwave as just vaguely deniable enough that some kind of interaction happened and that was IF someone jumped through the hoops to like serious report them in the first place.

Never played it, and haven't watched anyone stream it for a while, but yeah, this was a common complaint of streamers, at least. You have to have an incredible depth of knowledge to detect most of the outright cheating in the game; it's only very rarely stuff like invincible survivors. It at least seemed like the gameplay experience was fine most of the time, but every so often a killer player would run into someone who would just happen to miraculously rubberband away from every hit due to lag, or fire off their abilities just a little too often, or who could indefinitely outpace the killer's movement speed without it being one of the one or two slowpoke killers.

I stopped watching people play the game because, as with any competitive multiplayer online experience, taking it too seriously tends to lead to really unfun toxicity on the part of all involved. A little bit of hacking/occasional rudeness isn't a surprise, as with all online multiplayer you've just gotta be ready to let that wash off you every now and then. If one can accept that, it is a game that allows Nemesis to punch Nicolas Cage in the face or a kid from Stranger Things to flashbomb a plague mummy, so it'll always have that going for it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

RE6 was just not what anyone wanted out of a resident evil game, be it original or RE4 style - the hyper linear stage based structure especially feels really off, and the incredibly lame "do this really simple puzzle while infinitely respawning zombies attack" trick shows up constantly instead of any, like, actual design.

Yeah the thing about RE6 is that it's developed a bit of a cult following from people who can get into the spirit of the general badness of the story and its over the top presentation in a B-movie appreciation kind of way, and if that's what the game was going for it would have been a huge success, but that's not what the game was going for. They wanted it to be like, the Star Wars of video games; just a massive blockbuster success with huge mainstream appeal across all demographics. Which was a weird thing to want for a horror game even if it was more of a horror-themed action game than a true horror game. It's just not subject matter that's going to have broad appeal no matter how streamlined the gameplay gets.

Although that weird misguided thinking is probably also why it works so well as the video game version of a "so bad it's good" movie; a consistent theme with all the best ones of those is "they genuinely thought all of this was good when they were making it". The fact that the game plays all of its ridiculousness with zero irony does actually make it more fun than if it was self-aware.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 3, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

sigher posted:

There's no voice chat and the only text chatting there is post game that you can just exit out of and never deal with. If you die early in the game to you can just leave and queue for another match. You'll never have to deal with the community if you don't want to.

I disagree with the latter part of this because you have to play with the community to play the game, and there are absolutely some rear end in a top hat things people can do in game to ruin your fun. Probably won't recognize any but the worst when you're learning to play, and if you play killer there is a little less directly that survivors can pull off to ruin fun.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I used to really love playing DBD but I was never, ever any good at it. Now everyone I used to play with has either moved on or gotten way too good to put up with my dumb rear end.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I just want to play as all the cool murder ladies. :kiddo:

Also, I dunno where else to put this, so I'll drop this here; here's an empty store we passed by a few weekends ago in downtown San Jose.

:stare:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

I disagree with the latter part of this because you have to play with the community to play the game, and there are absolutely some rear end in a top hat things people can do in game to ruin your fun. Probably won't recognize any but the worst when you're learning to play, and if you play killer there is a little less directly that survivors can pull off to ruin fun.

And don't forget there absolutely is voice chat when it comes to survivors, they just get on discord, which fundamentally fucks with the game when it was built without any expectation of voice coordination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yardbomb posted:

And don't forget there absolutely is voice chat when it comes to survivors, they just get on discord, which fundamentally fucks with the game when it was built without any expectation of voice coordination.

I'm not going to begrudge people playing with friends and chatting with them, a lot of the time this will fall into the "won't notice the effects while you're learning anyway". And when you do start to notice it, there are ways to play around it. Also just because they can talk to each other doesn't mean they know how to communicate or execute.