Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

My main gripe really is just the adults only area is not only an after thought, it's also just a pain in the rear end to get to. Every other ship, it's easy to just pop right into the quiet cove area with little effort, pop out and refill your mug somewhere, pop back in and get a drink, and there's ample seating and hot tubs. The Wish just sorta does away with all of that. Since we used to spend most of our time in the adult areas on our previous cruises, this obviously took some adjusting.

This is my main issue with the Wish too. The adults only area is sooo incredibly tiny and if you don’t grab one of the 10 chairs in the shade early you just don’t get one. It sucks because Quiet Cove is my favorite area.

I do think the Rainforest room on the Wish is pretty great. That deck where you can sit outside on the round hanging beds is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

couldcareless posted:

Potatoland is the still one of the funniest Disney things I've ever seen

Every Christmas, me and my wife make sure to watch Duck the Halls. Usually after an edible.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Other theme park news! Cedar Point announced what's going on with Top Thrill Dragster:

https://twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/1686301091648946176

They're adding a rollback spike and making it a triple launch coaster, with LIMs apparently replacing the hydraulics. RIP to the most gnarly acceleration I've ever personally experienced, but Kingda Ka and Maxx Force still exist.

Renders suggest the queue is staying in the center of the coaster, which is a little surprising (reminder - the thing initially closed because something broke off from a train and hit someone in the head). There wouldn't be a great place for the queue otherwise, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they just made it a terrible experience in exchange for avoiding the concern of a repeat incident. I'm glad, though; that line location is really fun.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

This had been a prominent rumor for some time, so I'm wondering if it leaked early. It'll be a good reimagining with hopefully less downtime due to rollbacks. I suppose now everyone will hope for a double rollback.

Top Thrill 2 is an uninspired name, though.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

This had been a prominent rumor for some time, so I'm wondering if it leaked early. It'll be a good reimagining with hopefully less downtime due to rollbacks. I suppose now everyone will hope for a double rollback.

Top Thrill 2 is an uninspired name, though.

Lance Hart (Screqmscape) was doing mspaints of this before the ride even closed, so yeah, it leaked a little early.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

This is my main issue with the Wish too. The adults only area is sooo incredibly tiny and if you don’t grab one of the 10 chairs in the shade early you just don’t get one. It sucks because Quiet Cove is my favorite area.

I do think the Rainforest room on the Wish is pretty great. That deck where you can sit outside on the round hanging beds is great.

Big agree here on the Rainforest room. Purely because of the outdoor area, I'd say that it's my favorite rainforest room of the fleet. The two gigantic hot tubs, plus those circle hanging bed/chair things. My wife passed out for the hardest nap she's had in years on there. The only thing I was pretty meh about was the

CapnAndy posted:

I've never been on any cruise, but snorkeling to find sunken parks props sounds like a fuckin' blast.

It's pretty awesome. Especially when a big rear end fish takes up residence in one of them. I forgot which cruise it was, but I swam up to Stemboat Willie's boat (I think that's what it's supposed to be) and a big gag grouper was just hanging out in there.

couldcareless posted:

Another vote for Wonder as favorite here.
We did Wish back in May for the first time. It does have some cool stuff, the dining rooms and bars are all incredibly well themed. I also hear they are finally fixing those loving elevator buttons that will basically all activate if you so much as breath in their direction, so that's a huge win.
The shows are also spectacular of course.

My main gripe really is just the adults only area is not only an after thought, it's also just a pain in the rear end to get to. Every other ship, it's easy to just pop right into the quiet cove area with little effort, pop out and refill your mug somewhere, pop back in and get a drink, and there's ample seating and hot tubs. The Wish just sorta does away with all of that. Since we used to spend most of our time in the adult areas on our previous cruises, this obviously took some adjusting.

:hfive: Wonder rules. And likewise on the Wish, that was my biggest gripe. Even though we only did a 3-nighter, it was the least time I ever spent on deck. 90% of our outside relaxation was done on our Castaway day. We used the time at port in the Bahamas to explore the ship while at least a handful of people went ashore.

Omne posted:

Worst part of the adults-only section on the Wish:

"Ayuck, ya made it! Please stand up, and exit to the right!"

Every. loving. 30. Seconds.

I almost forgot about that. If you're on the port side of the AO section, you listen to Goofy on repeat. If you're on the starboard trying (more like waiting) to enjoy the hot tub or use a chair over there, you have Mickey and Minnie at the end of the Aquamouse doing their spiel.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just got out of Rogers the musical and I have to say it is very impressive. We splurged on the premium viewing package and I don't really regret it. We ended up second row next to aisle. Performances are top notch and the songs are hilarious but also well done. It's easily one of the best stage shows I have seen in a park.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Nanigans posted:

So we can’t just buy park hopper from the get-go? Or am I misreading?

Correct.

(Unless they have changed the policy in the last several months. I had to buy separate tickets when I went in October 2022)

couldcareless posted:

Just got out of Rogers the musical and I have to say it is very impressive. We splurged on the premium viewing package and I don't really regret it. We ended up second row next to aisle. Performances are top notch and the songs are hilarious but also well done. It's easily one of the best stage shows I have seen in a park.

I found the pacing to be a little off, but overall quite liked it. I wish there had been more Bucky

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
For Disney Springs, specifically WB George and Morimoto - if I'm heading solo, would I still need a reservation? Or do those places have a bar area I'd be able to dine at?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

BlueBayou posted:

I found the pacing to be a little off, but overall quite liked it. I wish there had been more Bucky

If we don't give a poo poo about the MCU, is it worth watching the show? We'd love to check it out, but if it's all inside jokes I don't think my kids would like to sit through the whole thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It absolutely is that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Abugadu posted:

For Disney Springs, specifically WB George and Morimoto - if I'm heading solo, would I still need a reservation? Or do those places have a bar area I'd be able to dine at?

Both of those have walk-up windows with smaller menus, but if you want the full thing then you need a reservation even for 1.

I've never been to either but I see them pretty regularly with open timeslots whenever I've looked for places to eat there though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The lounge area at the front of Morimoto has the full menu.

Get the fried rice and the white lily and thank me later.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Morimoto has a bar area that serves the full menu. I’ve dined there solo multiple times. When I was in Orlando for IT conferences I always took a later Saturday flight so I could have lunch at Morimoto before flying home. If you’re lucky you might get a high top, but the bar usually has seating.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wine Bar George also has a downstairs bar with around 15 seats, and an upstairs bar with maybe 7 seats

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

VorpalBunny posted:

If we don't give a poo poo about the MCU, is it worth watching the show? We'd love to check it out, but if it's all inside jokes I don't think my kids would like to sit through the whole thing.

I'd argue if you're just a big Broadway musical fan but know nothing about mcu, you might find it entertaining.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

couldcareless posted:

I'd argue if you're just a big Broadway musical fan but know nothing about mcu, you might find it entertaining.

Was it hard to get into the show, I wasn’t clear if I could guarantee to get in. The family has never been to Land so this might be the time to make a run.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Boxman posted:

Other theme park news! Cedar Point announced what's going on with Top Thrill Dragster:

https://twitter.com/cedarpoint/status/1686301091648946176

They're adding a rollback spike and making it a triple launch coaster, with LIMs apparently replacing the hydraulics. RIP to the most gnarly acceleration I've ever personally experienced, but Kingda Ka and Maxx Force still exist.

Renders suggest the queue is staying in the center of the coaster, which is a little surprising (reminder - the thing initially closed because something broke off from a train and hit someone in the head). There wouldn't be a great place for the queue otherwise, but I wouldn't have been surprised if they just made it a terrible experience in exchange for avoiding the concern of a repeat incident. I'm glad, though; that line location is really fun.
It sucks to lose the launch but from what I've heard, every park that owns a hydraulically launched Intamin is looking for any opportunity to get rid of it or refit it so it's hardly unexpected.

There's also some new covers over the queue to prevent a repeat of the accident it seems.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

tomapot posted:

Was it hard to get into the show, I wasn’t clear if I could guarantee to get in. The family has never been to Land so this might be the time to make a run.

My wife and I paid for the premium viewing experience which includes popcorn bucket, drink, and early entry basically guaranteeing you front few rows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the show the same self aware bad as in Hawkeye?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Asehujiko posted:

It sucks to lose the launch but from what I've heard, every park that owns a hydraulically launched Intamin is looking for any opportunity to get rid of it or refit it so it's hardly unexpected.

There's also some new covers over the queue to prevent a repeat of the accident it seems.

The Intamin hydraulic launches are notoriously dangerous, I’m amazed any park can get liability insurance on them

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Coasterphreak posted:

The Intamin hydraulic launches are notoriously dangerous, I’m amazed any park can get liability insurance on them

Why?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

Is the show the same self aware bad as in Hawkeye?

I just watched the whole thing off YouTube and Nick Fury is the comic relief. It's self-aware, but still genuine enough at times.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Well, Xcelerator’s cable has snapped twice, one time killing a person. Both TTD and Kingda Ka have had major launch failures. All of them have had major downtime due to catastrophic mechanical failure of the launch system, ranging from months to entire seasons.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gavok posted:

I just watched the whole thing off YouTube and Nick Fury is the comic relief. It's self-aware, but still genuine enough at times.
The one thing that bugged me about what we saw in Hawkeye was that two apparently random civilians open the song, monopolize the first half, and keep pulling focus even after Steve appears — he’s a supporting character in his own play. Do they have some central plot role or are they really just randos who show up to hijack the pre-intermission number?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's available on YouTube for those who can't make it to LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d3k_ulXcMY

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.wdwinfo.com/uncategorized/a-message-from-john-magi-president-and-co-owner-of-dreams-unlimited-travel-inc/ john magi still gives me the same vibe pete does so I guess corey will be inheriting it in the next few years

E:

Zero One posted:

drat this is really, really good.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 4, 2023

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Always liked listening to the DU but it always had a weird vibe. Been interesting watching the drama unfold.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

The one thing that bugged me about what we saw in Hawkeye was that two apparently random civilians open the song, monopolize the first half, and keep pulling focus even after Steve appears — he’s a supporting character in his own play. Do they have some central plot role or are they really just randos who show up to hijack the pre-intermission number?

The WWII stuff has the "Star-Spangled Man" dancing propaganda ladies doing singing narration. When Cap wakes up in the present, they're SHIELD agents. When it goes over his adventure as an Avenger, it's those random civilians taking over the role just for that song.

Then they extend the song for another half a minute just to gloss over Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, and Infinity War.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They also made the song shorter at the beginning. The random New Yorkers have a much smaller part.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
The new hatbox ghost tiki mug at Trader Sam’s looks awesome. Wish I could pick one up for myself.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Please release this in wdw but like don't make it pink or gross

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Zero One posted:

This is closing like two weeks before I get there and I'm very unhappy about it.

WDW question. When buying tickets, if you're going two days but only want one park Hopper day, guessing it's just cheaper (Epcot for non park Hopper, DAK for park Hopper) to just buy single admissions for both days and just tack park Hopper on the single day? Haven't looked at the exact prices but knowing what Park Hopper cost, I have to imagine it's cheaper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Park hopper is nearly a flat fee to add to your tickets regardless of the number of days you’re going.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks like you may have no other choice. It doesn’t look like there’s even a two-day pass option except for Florida residents.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks like you may have no other choice. It doesn’t look like there’s even a two-day pass option except for Florida residents.

Yeah that's what I figured. You can't mix and match so if you get 2 day tickets, they all have to be park hopper. I guess with the way the reservation system works, that kind of makes sense, even if it's irritating. Since Park hopper is like, 60 bucks a day per ticket, it definitely makes sense to just nab two singles. The per day discount between 1 and 2 days is basically the price of a cup of coffee.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Where are you looking? You can absolutely buy a 2 day pass.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I was looking at the WDW ticketing page. But it may be they use my ISP to peg me as being in Florida.

Only multi-day pass option I see for non-residents is a 4-day pass.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I was looking at the WDW ticketing page. But it may be they use my ISP to peg me as being in Florida.

on mine, it rolls down past that to "single park per day ticket" and then you can add park hopper at the end, but I'm in GA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you choose Standard Theme Park Ticket, you can choose a number of days.

Anyway park hopper is $75-85 to add on regardless of the length of your ticket. It's not a per day charge. A 1-day plus 1-day with park hopper costs the same as a 2 day with park hopper if they cover the same range of days. It's only if you have a longer ticket that can span multiple higher priced days (weekends, holidays I assume) that the hopper price shifts up a bit.