Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've not had any apps give me issues.

FCKGW posted:

MacRumors forums has a list of broken or buggy apps.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-17-apps-not-working.2391636/
Neat, nothing I use seems to be broken. Guess I'll try it out.

Wonder if they fixed the Grindr reliability from dev beta 2 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Are there any important apps that aren't working in the iOS 17 betas? If apps are more or less working as intended, I'm probably going to install PB2 (I didn't try out PB1).

Sonos has given be a bit of grief, but after force killing and rebooting it’ll work at some point. All my banking apps seem to work fine, surprisingly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Clark Nova posted:

the post specifies wd40 contact cleaner, as wd40 now makes products specifically for all of the poo poo people misuse their degreaser for, like that and bike lube

I've never used any of their products for anything 🤷‍♂️

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

Can't Apple still remote lock the phone tho?

Yes, unless the technologically-savvy thief holds the gun to your head and gets you to sign out of Find My iPhone and/or reset the phone entirely.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apple can blacklist the phone via its IMEI number or whatever so that it can never be activated again on a carrier. The hypothetical thief pointing their gun at you wouldn’t know this happened but the scrub who bought the used phone would find it to be nothing more than a paperweight the moment they stuck their SIM card in it.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apple can blacklist the phone via its IMEI number or whatever so that it can never be activated again on a carrier. The hypothetical thief pointing their gun at you wouldn’t know this happened but the scrub who bought the used phone would find it to be nothing more than a paperweight the moment they stuck their SIM card in it.

Apple doesn't handle that, typically. It’s done at the carrier level and managed by a regulator; which often means it’s only effective in that nation. Your stolen iPhone’s blocked IMEI code will work just fine in the southern hemisphere.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Neurophonic posted:

Apple doesn't handle that, typically. It’s done at the carrier level and managed by a regulator; which often means it’s only effective in that nation. Your stolen iPhone’s blocked IMEI code will work just fine in the southern hemisphere.

Doesn’t every iPhone need to phone home to apple as part of the activation process?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

Doesn’t every iPhone need to phone home to apple as part of the activation process?

Yeah but I don’t think Apple blocks stolen phones across their ecosystem. If the IMEI is getting allowed and provisioned by whatever carrier, Apple will probably allow an activation?

I think if stolen phones actually became paper weights, we would see fewer people getting a gun in their face and asked for a passcode. Thieves are dumb but they’re not going to constantly steal what has no value, clearly these phones continue to have value.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Yeah but I don’t think Apple blocks stolen phones across their ecosystem. If the IMEI is getting allowed and provisioned by whatever carrier, Apple will probably allow an activation?

I think if stolen phones actually became paper weights, we would see fewer people getting a gun in their face and asked for a passcode. Thieves are dumb but they’re not going to constantly steal what has no value, clearly these phones continue to have value.

They generally don’t block them because they see the people who end up buying the stolen phones as victims as well.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Pretty much every iPhone sold in the UK is now factory unlocked to any network from day one. I’m 95% sure that it’s possible to activate the phone with just an iCloud account and WiFi.

Besides that, you’d need every country or region worldwide to agree on a communication platform, standard and verification process to manage their reporting of stolen, lost & found items. I can barely rely on my local police force to speak to their equivalent in the next county 15 miles away, let alone notify folks in faraway lands.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Neurophonic posted:

Besides that, you’d need every country or region worldwide to agree on a communication platform, standard and verification process to manage their reporting of stolen, lost & found items. I can barely rely on my local police force to speak to their equivalent in the next county 15 miles away, let alone notify folks in faraway lands.

If iphones are required to phone home to Apple then you don't need any 3rd party mechanism to manage that. Apple could remotely from its own servers brick the phone if they choose, or just display a message upon next iCloud sign in "hey this phone was reported stolen....(location, date, etc.)." I think if its just yanked then that's exactly what happens. You need to get the current owner to sign out of iCloud and also the passcode. Not every phone thief is going to (be able to) do that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are people actually getting their iPhones robbed at gunpoint or is this something old people say totally happens (like Halloween candy being laced with drugs).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are people actually getting their iPhones robbed at gunpoint or is this something old people say totally happens (like Halloween candy being laced with drugs).

It’s not common but yes it does happen.

They also get robbed and told to unlock their phone so the robber can log into their Venmo account and transfer money out.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Jokes on them I don’t have any money in my bank account either :smuggo:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can't wait until thieves start cutting off people's heads so they can always unlock stolen iPhones.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Corb3t posted:

Can't wait until thieves start cutting off people's heads so they can always unlock stolen iPhones.

Doesn't that not always work? Like if you pry open someones eyes while they are passed out it doesn't always work. But I guess if you do it in a nuanced way. To think some Apple team had to go through all these fraud Face ID scenarios.

#23: face skin has been removed and placed on another persons face
#24: head has been severed from the body

IR camera can tell if the person is dead? But what about Face ID in the cold??

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If there are decapitating phone pirates roaming the streets I’d probably stop carrying a phone altogether tbh

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably don't care if you have a phone at that point.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
This is mostly a US thing presumably. Countries that aren’t lawless dystopias don’t have roving bands of gun toting phone thieves.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

This is mostly a US thing presumably. Countries that aren’t lawless dystopias don’t have roving bands of gun toting phone thieves.

:jerkbag: it's true, no on ever gets phones stolen in other countries

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FCKGW posted:

:jerkbag: it's true, no on ever gets phones stolen in other countries

I’m sure people get phones stolen if they’re stupid enough to leave them unattended somewhere, or pickpocketed or some such; maybe someone even breaks into your home and grabs it if you’ve left it there; but having someone with a gun force you to unlock and hand over your phone is not something I’ve ever heard of happening here in Australia. Muggings in general are an incredibly unusual occurrence, almost non existent; especially involving a gun, because the sorts of criminals who could manage to get access to one definitely have more important things to do than mug a rando.

Thieves here in my experience generally do everything they can to avoid a physical alteration.

I’m sure there are very rare exceptions, but that’s why I qualified my initial statement with the word ‘mostly’

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

Lol wtf is this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol wtf is this.

Its delusion.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Does Apple block your IMEI if a dingo takes your phone?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is considered offensive now to use that kind of language to refer to a person of Australian descent.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do you guys have sources that say that this is an actual widespread problem because it sure does sound like old white people/boomer/racist fearmongering.

Do you guys put away your AirPods when you walk around “””bad””” parts of town?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 4, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you guys have sources that say that this is an actual widespread problem because it sure does sound like old white people/boomer/racist fearmongering.

No, because it’s not a widespread problem, but phones do get stolen, and certainly it’s a possibility. It’s nothing I think about day to day.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My brother is the only instance I've ever actually heard of someone having their phone stolen at gunpoint, and the phone was only taken so he couldn't call 911 right away because his phone absolutely wasn't worth stealing.

It's not a widespread issue, but media does like to fearmonger about the roving bands of phone thieves.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfUuIx6e1LM

Not gun to head but quite violent.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

poo poo happens. It's not a plague.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

This was yesterday in LA

https://www.latimes.com/california/west-hollywood-robbery-that-was-caught-on-tape-123

This was in an upscale part of LA as well.

People get robbed of their phones all the time and no it doesn’t make the news because its not a big deal.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I live in a sleepy town of 11 thousand people, in the middle of Europe. We have a city park, that's not well lit, and there's at least weekly complaints on various local Facebook groups of yet another person getting ganged up by mischiefs, to get their phone, shoes or scooter stolen (or whatever else applies), because they passed through said park at dusk or later.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s too hot here for people to be roaming around criming I think

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boris Galerkin posted:

You don’t need Apple to block an IMEI, even. Your phone operator can put it on their blacklist, call their support line and ask how.

Example FAQ from a NZ operator:

https://www.tcf.org.nz/consumers/mobile/lost-stolen-phones/frequently-asked-questions/#what-is-an-imei-block

In Sweden, where I’ve worked in the telecoms business, the operator will ask for a copy of a police report. When they’ve added it to their block list, that handset will never get signal in their network (apart from emergency calls, presumably). Periodically, like monthly or once a quarter, they share their blacklists with other operators nationally.

I don’t know if any blocklists are ever shared internationally. I wouldn’t count on it.

This works for all phones, but is all a lot less effective than a find-my-iPhone block, which bricks the phone. I think most people don’t ever get their stolen phone operator-blocked. Nonetheless, you should not ignore the possibility to make life a little worse for phone thieves because it reduces their incentives to steal more phones.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 4, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't want to jinx it or anything, but I've been on PB2 of 17 for 2 days now and so far the battery seems about on par with 16!

I haven't tried out Standby yet. I didn't have a MagSafe case or a MagSafe stand, so I ordered those so I could try Standby. That's the main feature I was looking forward to.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Why are you guys trying to design a system that already exists? Activation lock is global and already run by apple.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i remember like 10 years ago my roommates were literally robbed at gunpoint on the front porch for their wallets and iphones in the middle of the night while they were drinking and hanging out

the rub was was that because their iphones were taken they pointed the cops directly to where thieves were (i guess using find my iphone if that was a thing then) and the dudes were arrested like an hour later with the phones returned lol

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
But in 2023 if you do that the cops won’t do anything. Youll have to go it on your own.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I vaguely remember something when Apple Wallet was new where they hyped up the idea of your loyalty cards popping up on your lock screen when you enter a store. Did that just never materialise or did it require specific adoption by each store that they never got enough places to opt in to?

Flight passes will show up a few hours before the flight but that seems based on time rather than location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Question Mark Mound posted:

I vaguely remember something when Apple Wallet was new where they hyped up the idea of your loyalty cards popping up on your lock screen when you enter a store. Did that just never materialise or did it require specific adoption by each store that they never got enough places to opt in to?

Flight passes will show up a few hours before the flight but that seems based on time rather than location.

I remember the original api to add cards to wallet being a mess so very few shops tried it out, also there were a lot of apps like stocard that did the same job so people weren't that interested into another fidelity card repository app. Beyond credit cards, train tickets and covid passes i haven't found any other application that supported uploading data to wallet.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 5, 2023