Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

TACD posted:

It really is startling how many people will choose to die on the hill of “I’m not prejudiced against anybody but you have to admit Travellers are awful!”

i dont expect poshos who’s only experience of this thing is from second hand reports off tarquins m8s in the local gazette

but it’s super hard to brush a travelling crime wave off as ‘culture’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Crystal Thenis posted:

i dont expect poshos who’s only experience of this thing is from second hand reports off tarquins m8s in the local gazette

but it’s super hard to brush a travelling crime wave off as ‘culture’

I have personally had nothing but negative experiences in my own interactions with travellers in my local area but that doesn’t mean they’re all scumbags, at most it means that those specific people were dickheads.

Maybe reconsider the poo poo you’re saying when it starts to sound like a Daily Mail headline.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
no mention of violence, specifically saying we need to use state resources to generously settle people into communities, and you tar me with this horrid stuff about being a nazi etc.

it is so bad-faith it makes me sick.

if you literally cannot talk about this subject in the kindest hypothetical without being branded as a fascist murderer, of course you open the door to the worst people taking the hardest actions when there is no oxygen given to realistic debate.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

But why should they settle into fixed communities?

Should everyone have to learn English if they want to live here too?

When do we break out the Pantone colour swatches?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Thank goodness the racist party didn't win the last election

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

History Comes Inside! posted:

But why should they settle into fixed communities?

Should everyone have to learn English if they want to live here too?

When do we break out the Pantone colour swatches?

again, totally bad faith.

ive lived and grown up in one of the most diverse cities here in birmingham and fully believe in every community being given the same resources as I have.

and I appreciate that people might not be able to speak this language.

that doesn’t stop them paying taxes, opening new businesses and sending their children to schools and working within the structure of society to improve their lives.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I thought the specific problem was that councils often didn't provide actual services (e.g. waste collection) to Traveller communities because waste of money/wanting to be deliberately unwelcoming

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
it just seems deliberately murky from both extremes. like it is so wild that as a super liberal social democrat, you get called a nazi by people further on the left because you think kids should be going to school. it’s wild.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Turns out if you treat people like parasitic scum they don't really see the point in trying to contribute to the local community.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

On the school front, it's because schools explicitly deny traveller children from signing up and the few that don't often put them in a special class for flea-infested mutants. There was a country, I think Spain? that trialled a scheme where schools accepted traveller children into normal classes no questions asked without singling them out and it saw a massive increase in social cohesion and the traveller kids educational attainment skyrocketed.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Tesseraction posted:

On the school front, it's because schools explicitly deny traveller children from signing up and the few that don't often put them in a special class for flea-infested mutants. There was a country, I think Spain? that trialled a scheme where schools accepted traveller children into normal classes no questions asked without singling them out and it saw a massive increase in social cohesion and the traveller kids educational attainment skyrocketed.

from the reactions just here, I think you would insult our hypothetical government if they ever tried to do that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I always went to school with Traveller kids (except for a brief interlude when I went to a posho school on scholarship). They were mostly normal, some of them didn't finish school but then again that wasn't especially unusual in my year either

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

As always this applies

Fair enough, but Travellers aren't Romani?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Fair enough, but Travellers aren't Romani?

The meme is more about the GRT umbrella but picked just one for the brevity. Also because racists don't know the difference.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Tesseraction posted:

The meme is more about the GRT umbrella but picked just one for the brevity. Also because racists don't know the difference.

keep the umbrella deliberately messy and you can never be wrong, I get it

it’s like saying “yeah, corbyn loves everybody, especially the europeans!” and then totally omitting the fact his Brexit idealism led directly to this mess. ideas and reality are such different things.

Crystal Thenis fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 3, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Crystal Thenis posted:

it’s like saying “yeah, corbyn loves everybody, especially the europeans!” and then totally omitting the fact his Brexit idealism led directly to this mess. ideas and reality are such different things.

lmao keep doubling down dude

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Crystal Thenis posted:

I don't think those things are similar

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
Greenpeace are redecorating Sunak's mansion for him

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I got a push alert that climate activists had done something to his Yorkshire home and I won't lie I was disappointed they hadn't done something a little more drastic. Hell even painting it orange or dumping a glitter bomb down the chimney would have sufficed.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

14yr old me would be psyched if someone redecorated my house like that

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't think those things are similar

totally different subjects but the same clash with the same people.

you can’t talk about anything without being crucified, but then the lack of moderate debate will just leave those people in a much worse position. you are right in thinking the Tory folks would probably be happy to disappear these people, and if things don’t change, they will probably be a genuine target for the worst of our ruling class.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

They should burn the loving thing down.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lt. Danger posted:

I thought the specific problem was that councils often didn't provide actual services (e.g. waste collection) to Traveller communities because waste of money/wanting to be deliberately unwelcoming

It's probably that though I wonder if it's also that temporary waste collection somewhere doesn't neatly fit into the council's (outsourced) waste collection system and so it becomes a lot of effort, people can't be arsed and by the time everybody got the paperwork sorted they'll already have left anyway

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PriorMarcus posted:

They should burn the loving thing down.

That would not be good for the environment. In addition to all the carbon, it might release toxic Tory particles into the atmosphere.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jedit posted:

That would not be good for the environment. In addition to all the carbon, it might release toxic Tory particles into the atmosphere.

I saw a movie about zombies that ended like that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah pretty sure that's how you get something like the Return of the Living Dead but with Tories instead of zombies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Continuation of the Living Cunts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Last week we had a traveler funeral, they moved and lived in the town since the 90s.
She was someone the same age as me, but I never really got to talk or meet her, died of cancer at 42.
The traveler funeral is just as big as the wedding, the church was packed, the wreaths half the size of the grave, and piled meters around the grave.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crystal Thenis posted:

it just seems deliberately murky from both extremes. like it is so wild that as a super liberal social democrat, you get called a nazi by people further on the left because you think kids should be going to school. it’s wild.

If it's any consolation the left have treated social democrats with well deserved scorn since at least the SPD sent in proto-fascist death squads to murder Rosa Luxemburg & Karl Liebknecht. A party they were members of until they were kicked out for opposing the political Truce during WW1 because it was clearly a very bad war.

Honestly, it's not wild at all. Social Democrats are class traitors at best and at worst actively sabotage any attempts to change the deeply rotten economic system.

The truth is not in the middle, get off the fence and stop being a bigot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Last week we had a traveler funeral, they moved and lived in the town since the 90s.
She was someone the same age as me, but I never really got to talk or meet her, died of cancer at 42.
The traveler funeral is just as big as the wedding, the church was packed, the wreaths half the size of the grave, and piled meters around the grave.

Sounds like rootless lack of community to me.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
UKMT: how to make enemies and alienate every frigger lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Can’t even say we should force travellers to stop moving about and living in caravans and make them settle down like normal people and stop being thieving criminal scum anymore without the politically correct brigade jumping down your throat

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

In the town I grew up in, the local council used to keep a site nearby for GRT to use, they had worked out refuse collection and council tax (although I don't think there were any of the children at my school), and things seemed to be ok. In the early 2000s there was a local campaign to shut down the site, all of the apparatus was dismantled, the site was evacuated and turned back into a farm field, only for them to return a few years later and illegally occupy the site, causing a massive local uproar. The site was continually vandalised and there were a bunch of fights, rural crime incidents went up, there was always a bunch of uncollected refuse at the entrance. Every time I drive past nowadays it looks better, but that whole thing still stands out in my mind as a microcosm of the problem. If there hadn't been a (undoubtedly racially motivated) campaign to shut the site down things would probably be a lot better for everyone.

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin
fs don't dress it up like THIS or THAT. alot of grt are theving scum who will steal the lead of of your church roof.

not all

but some

I've personally had a bad experience with (i guess) travellers in the past and that has maybe coloured my view of them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If I was GRT and saw how most British people spoke and acted towards me and my people, you’re god drat right I’d go round nicking their stuff and generally causing those NIMBY fucks a hard time.

E: in conclusion, I hope someone empties a bunch of caravan septic tanks through crystal thensis’ bedroom window

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Crystal Thenis posted:

again, totally bad faith.

ive lived and grown up in one of the most diverse cities here in birmingham and fully believe in every community being given the same resources as I have.

and I appreciate that people might not be able to speak this language.

that doesn’t stop them paying taxes, opening new businesses and sending their children to schools and working within the structure of society to improve their lives.

I also live in Birmingham and I doubt it's the travellers that go around shoving plastic bottles into every hedge, salting the earth with garbage and driving around at all hours of the night in the loudest sports cars they can hire. But for some reason you're not itching to banish most of the population of the city to Lithuania for their anti social tendencies

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Maximum Pepsi posted:

fs don't dress it up like THIS or THAT. alot of grt are theving scum who will steal the lead of of your church roof.

not all

but some

I've personally had a bad experience with (i guess) travellers in the past and that has maybe coloured my view of them.

Literally every ethnic group has assholes, you ding dong. "Ohhh some Jews just love money what I'm just saying facts!"

If you think those two examples are not the same, perhaps reflect on why!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I got mugged by a pack of Muslim lads in Birmingham; if I started ranting about Muslims I think you could see why I would get pushback.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we look at every other instance in history of "these people are inherently antisocial and need to be civilized" it turns out after the fact that oh, no, actually that was super hosed up and led to god knows what atrocities and misery.

But surely, this time it's correct, this is the exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
impossible to have a sensible discussion when people can’t differentiate between romani and travellers, ignore your pleas for schooling schemes (by talking about schooling schemes?) and then are confused you don’t want to be m8s after calling them a nazi.

just watched this exact subject devolve into the exact rubbish and the whole thing ends up with nobody discussing the matters at hand. Labour are right to make the first step establishing legal camps, from there the focus should be 💯 on assimilation.