Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Maximum Pepsi posted:

fs don't dress it up like THIS or THAT. alot of grt are theving scum who will steal the lead of of your church roof.

Crime rates are also high among black people. And indeed many minority groups. Most of which do in fact have homes attached to the ground! Why do you think that might be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I got mugged by a pack of Muslim lads in Birmingham; if I started ranting about Muslims I think you could see why I would get pushback.

You would get pushback, but also a GBNews show

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What happens if people don't want to "assimilate?"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maximum Pepsi posted:

fs don't dress it up like THIS or THAT. alot of grt are theving scum who will steal the lead of of your church roof.

not all

but some

I've personally had a bad experience with (i guess) travellers in the past and that has maybe coloured my view of them.

I've had bad experiences with the English. If I was to demand the cultural destruction of what passes for English culture and the elimination of their strange cultural habits you'd rightly look at me with a side eye.

Calling for the forced assimilation of cultural and ethnic minorities is bad OP. Even if they are the English.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

You would get pushback, but also a GBNews show

Yeah, two negative outcomes.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

why should they not?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Because cultural assimilation is bad?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Resistance is futile. Your cultural and biological distinctiveness will not be added to our own.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Societies that promote cultural hegemony tend to be *checks notes* fascist.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Now now let's not be hasty, didn't Canada have schools to civilise the savages? I'm sure that turned out well but let me just take a big sip of coffee and check..

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Tesseraction posted:

Because cultural assimilation is bad?

Sending your kids to school and paying your taxes are pretty loving basic things that people living in a society should do

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's not cultural assimilation...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Crystal Thenis posted:

why should they not?

Answer the question

Or indeed answer any question anyone has put to you rather than just moaning about how everyone is being mean to you

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Tesseraction posted:

That's not cultural assimilation...

You're the one that added the word cultural.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Additionally, travellers do pay taxes because everything you buy is taxed. They don't pay income or council tax, sure, but they also don't get poo poo like unemployment benefit or child benefit or housing benefit (and their housing is not "free" especially if it needs repairing). Certainly you can argue that they probably have less of a tax burden than you, but then I'd argue they have less avenues to make money too.

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

Miftan posted:

Literally every ethnic group has assholes, you ding dong. "Ohhh some Jews just love money what I'm just saying facts!"

If you think those two examples are not the same, perhaps reflect on why!

oh gently caress.

now you are emaking me think

about things

(U did make me think dw)

at the same time gently caress these dicks who just show up and think they can treat council land like poo poo.

Absolutely gently caress 'em

I have seen (how the travellers I have met) have treated the land they stayed on. Absolutely gently caress these dicks.

Like I dont. sorry I got interrupted. I forgot my point. I know it is bad to judge a group by a few bad actors, but..... but I try, but I have seen how the traveller group treated the community, absolutely f them.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Crystal Thenis posted:

why should they not?

Listen mate, the United Kingdom is a Tory country, you should stop with all this 'social democracy' crap and assimilate into the racist, sexist, classist society in which you live.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Now now let's not be hasty, didn't Canada have schools to civilise the savages? I'm sure that turned out well but let me just take a big sip of coffee and check..

This is it in a nutshell. There's a long history of forcing minority groups to assimilate. History tends not to be kind to this poo poo.

But no, the guy suggesting everyone is posh for not agreeing with them is in the right and it's so unfair we're not seriously engaging with peak Pissflaps posting

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crystal Thenis posted:

why should they not?

Well, unaccountably, some people are quite attached to their way of life. Historically there are plenty of different peoples who have maintained a degree of difference from the hegemonic culture of an area, in part due to forced exclusion, yes, but also in part because that's... just what people do? Certainly there are lots of people in the world who, regardless of how they actually live, will not be considered part of the hegemonic culture by other people within that culture because the standard of otherization simply shifts.

The exclusion is created by the dominant group, not by the actions of the excluded group, whether an action is grounds for otherisation is not predicated on the action itself, but the ambient prejudices floating around in the dominant group.

Which is how you get weirdo english people going to wales and demanding people speak english. If they do speak english they just get sheep shagger jokes instead. There is no actual level of "assimilation" that is enough for the dominant group to accept an outgroup it does not want to accept, so it should not be surprising that people often prefer to maintain some of the practices that are entwined with their otherisation. Why abandon the things you like and form part of your community identity in a vain hope of being accepted by the hegemony?

It is simply ahistorical to think that everyone will want to become like you, and that your peers will accept them if they tried.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DreddyMatt posted:

You're the one that added the word cultural.

Because there's different levels here. No-one here argued against traveller kids being allowed in schools, but the problem is that schools only allow children with fixed home addresses, meaning that the kids will have to be abandoned and adopted by non-traveller parents, cutting them off from their community.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

schools only allow children with fixed home addresses, meaning that the kids will have to be abandoned and adopted by non-traveller parents, cutting them off from their community.

Is this true in the UK? Definitely not true in Ireland

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is this true in the UK? Definitely not true in Ireland

I'm not sure if it's by law, but many schools demand one.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
if you live your whole life in this country, only speak this language and continue to use council resources in this country, you should be paying tax.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as people not paying enough tax goes I think there is an entire ocean of owed money at the top to go after before you start shaking down ethnic groups you don't like.

I think that attitude is a lot like policing, in that the police simply don't go after the big crimes and content themselves almost entirely with people who aren't really threatening anyone or anything, and for that reason we think the police are bad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 3, 2023

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Because there's different levels here. No-one here argued against traveller kids being allowed in schools, but the problem is that schools only allow children with fixed home addresses, meaning that the kids will have to be abandoned and adopted by non-traveller parents, cutting them off from their community.

Yeah, so give them houses, and their children can go to school?

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

As far as people not paying enough tax goes I think there is an entire ocean of owed money at the top to go after before you start shaking down ethnic groups you don't like.

another subject entirely.

and genuinely disgusting to think the persecution of natives in canada by colonial powers is in the same bag as getting a group to settle into an area, pay taxes and send their kids to school.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Additionally, they pay VAT, the most regressive tax we have. Most of them earn below the income tax threshold anyway.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DreddyMatt posted:

I think you might be under some miscommunication as to the nature of travellers.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

another subject entirely.

and genuinely disgusting to think the persecution of natives in canada by colonial powers is in the same bag as getting a group to settle into an area, pay taxes and send their kids to school.

So what should happen to people who don’t want to ‘assimilate’? You’ve still not answered. Simple question really mate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DreddyMatt posted:

Everyone should be given a house, but if some people don't want them, what do you do then?

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

forkboy84 posted:

This is it in a nutshell. There's a long history of forcing minority groups to assimilate. History tends not to be kind to this poo poo.

But no, the guy suggesting everyone is posh for not agreeing with them is in the right and it's so unfair we're not seriously engaging with peak Pissflaps posting

no, see!? this is why ths thread loving fails. This is (not really)why I like posters like njan99. He tells you when you done hosed up. I don't really know that you have hosed up, but I think that you have misspoken.

It is like looking at the owlfancier post down here ^^^

If you call anyone who disagrees with you a tory, you will fail. over and over and over again.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Tesseraction posted:

Additionally, they pay VAT, the most regressive tax we have. Most of them earn below the income tax threshold anyway.

“most of them”
“many schools”
“some scheme in spain”

come on lad you don’t have a clue like everybody else doesn’t, because this is a subject nobody can apparently discuss without the world burning down.

you’ve lived your whole life here, so have they. if you didn’t pay taxes and didn’t send your kids to school you would be arrested, why are they different?

im saying forget the stick and throw every single carrot, and you feel morally superior enough to call me a nazi or a Tory lol.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Jakabite posted:

So what should happen to people who don’t want to ‘assimilate’? You’ve still not answered. Simple question really mate.

I think everybody in the same society should be held up to the same standards and given help by the state if they lack the social cohesion to do it on their own.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

“most of them”
“many schools”
“some scheme in spain”

come on lad you don’t have a clue like everybody else doesn’t, because this is a subject nobody can apparently discuss without the world burning down.

you’ve lived your whole life here, so have they. if you didn’t pay taxes and didn’t send your kids to school you would be arrested, why are they different?

im saying forget the stick and throw every single carrot, and you feel morally superior enough to call me a nazi or a Tory lol.

What should be done with the ones who don’t want to assimilate? Be specific and stop ignoring the question.

E: that doesn’t answer it. They don’t want the help, they want to keep living their lives as they have for many years. What should be done with them?

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Hey I've not read this thread in a while what's going o:yikes:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Crystal Thenis posted:

“most of them”
“many schools”
“some scheme in spain”

I mean I tried looking it up but Google just keeps giving me results about enrolling my children in schools if I am a traveller, so hey that's progress I guess.

Additionally, you're bitching about me being vague when so far your argument is "I had a negative experience" and "they're thieving scum" so glass houses eh?

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
What do you think the state does to parents that refuse to educate their children?

I can't believe I have to use the cliche, but we live in a society.

Part of that includes things like sending your kids to school. If you're putting your desires above the needs of your child then you're not fit to be a parent. It's pretty basic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're planning on giving out free houses I would think we could manage to give out some free caravans too if people want those instead, is there a reason why we shouldn't offer the latter?

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Jakabite posted:

What should be done with the ones who don’t want to assimilate? Be specific and stop ignoring the question.

E: that doesn’t answer it. They don’t want the help, they want to keep living their lives as they have for many years. What should be done with them?

no, what do you think should be done with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DiscoWitch posted:

Hey I've not read this thread in a while what's going o:yikes:

Welcome to the UKMT, where we get to watch the "I'm centre-left" to "bring back 'angin for em" pipeline in real time.