Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, Al - how is the title of this comic pronounced? Cause when I see it, I think 'Nör' but wouldn't that be 'Nřr' in Norwegian?

Also, that Nancy was quite droll, I thought.

I am also... Looking forward? To see how A+J is going to be handling 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

What the gently caress is that shirt logo.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Stuart's just mad that Marla thought of giving employees cash incentives before he did.

Stuart isn't the sort of character who would ever want to reward people for doing a good job.

I had some ~leadership training~ a few years ago at my job, and the person teaching the class tried to use some scholarly paper that said people stop being motivated by money once they've hit ~$75k per year to claim that financial incentives for extra work didn't make sense. I had to bite my tongue pretty hard to avoid asking them how much money they made and whether they'd accept a cap on their own salary based on that same logic.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 27, 1958)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hotti

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/3/03

The phrase "exit strategy" was frequently in the news in 2003 for reasons I'm sure most of us remember.

Brenda Starr 6/7-9/51

Smokey Stover 1/8/56

Everyday Movies 8/22/36

"Aw, the boat's too crowded. Let's take the subway to Coney Island."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/4-6/41

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hostile V posted:

It's supposed to be a mouse.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Medenmath posted:

I had some ~leadership training~ a few years ago at my job, and the person teaching the class tried to use some scholarly paper that said people stop being motivated by money once they've hit ~$75k per year

Sounds like a great starting point for UBI! You can get a lot of motivation out of 20-30k a year retail employees with that much extra cash!

What's that? The man in your story heard me and is already moving his goalposts back in time? Funny how that always happens.

I guess that paper was also funded by rich people who always seem to heroically maintain their motivation despite the odds.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hostile V posted:

Clearly a mangosteen.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i feel like reddick could be a halfway decent artist if he wasn't convinced that the form peaked with family guy and webcomics from 2002

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

The residue from your phone is kicking in

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

Stuart isn't the sort of character who would ever want to reward people for doing a good job.

I had some ~leadership training~ a few years ago at my job, and the person teaching the class tried to use some scholarly paper that said people stop being motivated by money once they've hit ~$75k per year to claim that financial incentives for extra work didn't make sense. I had to bite my tongue pretty hard to avoid asking them how much money they made and whether they'd accept a cap on their own salary based on that same logic.

I'm familiar with that study/argument and it's often misrepresented by idiot mba managers as an excuse not to pay people. It's not that people "stop being motivated by money" at that point, it's that once all of a person's basic financial needs are met, you no longer can use the "I'm desperate for cash" motivator. So once someone makes 75k, things like vacation days, good work conditions, job security etc become more important in a compensation package. Someone who makes 40k per year will out of necessity take more overtime, put up with a toxic environment, etc to make an extra few thousand dollars, but people become less likely to make that call the more secure they are, and instead to want time off and to like... enjoy their lives outside of work.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

The Curse of Sally Forth

Skippy (August 17, 1935)

Peanuts (August 5, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 7, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way, in which one of Goldie's friends invents skinny jeans. (June 18-20, 1942)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

So, Al - how is the title of this comic pronounced? Cause when I see it, I think 'Nör' but wouldn't that be 'Nřr' in Norwegian?

No, it's pronounced Noor.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Woman Cook. Nerd Fat.

God I hate this loving comic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Alhazred posted:

No, it's pronounced Noor.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

His Divine Shadow posted:

I want Stuart and everyone like him to die screaming

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Noops?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I guess Lemuria, or whatever mysterious continent that is, is canon in the FCU.

Slylock Fox

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's a long o-sound. If it were pronounced "Nřr" or "Nör" it would've been written that way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

manero posted:

Pluggers

I have a meetup next week with childhood friends I haven't seen in 25 years. Bracing myself.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "178 - Jucika Educates"

"179 - Jucika's Dance Ensemble"

"Színpadra = Stage"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Is there a different word for a montage when it takes place in a comic?

Because that is one hell of a montage.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Edit: in retrospect, Sachiko's last speech bubble being "You're not the boss of me!" would have been both funnier and slightly more accurate.

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 3, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Romeo and Juliet and Giant Robots but also the kids aren't stupid is a good story

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It Turns Out This Is Carl Who Later Marries Leona And Has That Horrible Baby But Like drat What A Character Model Shift. Also Rudy Finally Understands How To Get By In An Unfamiliar Environment: Lean On Conspiracies/Social Groups That Benefit You

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 17: Hell on Wheels Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Billie certainly has some fanciful notions, but she’s young and her horizons are broad.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

The Finnish social insurance institution (kansaneläkelaitos, KELA) is an institution responsible for handling various social welfare things such as unemployment benefit, child benefits, student allowance etc etc.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/4/51

Archie 10/27-29/47

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 17-20, 1962)

Big Nate

I guarantee you that a fancy donut place will have some monstrosity available with like six kinds of chocolate on it.

Also a lemon mango donut sounds incredible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 17-20, 1962)

Big Nate

I guarantee you that a fancy donut place will have some monstrosity available with like six kinds of chocolate on it.

I had a mango filled donut with glaze so it’s not a stretch

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

readingatwork posted:

I was gonna say the ricotta makes me a little wary, but a quick search immediately brings up lemon ricotta cakes and pancakes so Hell, maybe still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

I was gonna say the ricotta makes me a little wary, but a quick search immediately brings up lemon ricotta cakes and pancakes so Hell, maybe still.

*googles*

Welp. Guess I'm making lemon ricotta cake this weekend. :shrug: