Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Tiny Timbs posted:

2042 is the game where they were tasked to come up with a future version of c4 so they called it c5

Funny enough it probably WOULD be called C5 since C4 replaced C3, which replaced C2, which replaced plain-jane Composition C explosive.

Still funny as hell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be fair 2142 just called it RDX which is just a chemical part of modern C4 but it sure does sound fancier.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Assepoester posted:

Hell yeah, Battlefield Heroes/Army Men crossover.

Heroes was legit entertaining especially when you discovered the secret sauce that was the big heavy dude with the giant throwable powderkeg ability.
Hulk your way through enemy fire, throw barrel, shoot barrel. Rinse and repeat while emote taunting.

That or park a plane out of bounds, then sit on the wings and snipe :3

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Why is this so janky? I think I'm returning it.

What a waste. It's a nice, quality-feeling controller, has paddles, has a built in battery, but it's pointlessly crippled over Bluetooth (among the other stuff, the triggers become digital).

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I'm probably 50 pages late but goddamn is Remnant II a fantastic game. I bought it on a whim not knowing much about it other than that it's a third-person shooter with a dodge roll (and as we know third person + dodge = souls-like) with procedural generation, and have been having a blast playing co-op with a friend. It's slick, the environments and bosses are really cool, and apart from some of the unlocks being cryptic there's zero friction between you and whatever your next objective is.

Just keep in mind that weapon upgrades are similar to fromsoft games - they look like they give minor increases but there's a massive difference between a +1 and +8 weapon. It's easier to upgrade than in Dark Souls as well, since crafting materials are (mostly) drops from enemies and not world items.

If it at all interests you don't sleep on it, it's great.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Resdfru posted:

I just saw an article about this today and I think I wanna get it. How does it compare to roboquest if you've played that?

Definitely got a very similar vibe to Roboquest what with satisfyingly smooth and quick movement and shooting, though differing in certain ways, such as how where Roboquest has you switching and utilizing all sorts of guns during a run, Deadlink has you stick with your selected class guns (except heavy weapon which can be swapped to another classes) and instead focus on getting perks and modifiers during a run. In that regard, it's a lot more like Hades. I'd say it's also a bit more fast-paced manic combat with a focus on resource management (you do have infinite ammo for primary similar to Roboquest, but reloads are slower due to being able to get ammo straight into your gun from glory kills), linear/straightforward levels with no branching paths, and so on. I'm very much looking forward to Roboquest when it comes outta early access since I feel it will scratch the same itch this game does.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2450820/Radiant_Silvergun/
!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Serephina posted:

There is a recently introduced browser standard that can tell if a window is in focus or not. It is trivial to disable on all sites (on firefox at least) as the tech has no legitimate use other than to antagonize users. I first noticed it when youtube was refusing to play in the background; that poo poo lasted all of five minutes. Fuckers.

chrome actually specifically patched out the ability to disable the page-visibility detection. it used to be a flag just like in firefox and they removed it.
although to be fair it does have some theoretical usages. like web apps with messaging features can use it to only send popup notifications if the page isn't visible. or a browser game can stop sucking up your cpu with expensive graphical rendering stuff when it's minimized

e: I might be thinking of the "window occlusion tracking" feature instead, which specifically tracks whether a a window is covered up by other windows on your desktop (as opposed to being minimized or in a background tab)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 3, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can't seem to find that setting in Firefox either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

No native support for keyboard and mouse :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Assepoester posted:

That means you haven't played the fantastic World War One shooter that everyone's been raving about for decades. You know the one.

War.

War never changes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Gripper posted:

I'm probably 50 pages late but goddamn is Remnant II a fantastic game... there's zero friction between you and whatever your next objective is.

After a dozen hours I've really lost interest :(
The Cube Pistol feels unreplaceable and now I've been wandering around some foggy map after the Labrynth for what feels like an eternity. And I feel like I have no idea what direction I should be going, just keep getting distracted by what turn out to be side dungeons. The Trait system feels extremely hollow and I can only tell my dog companion to Howl so many times before it stops being interesting.

Oh well, I bought it to keep me occupied until BG3 and today is finally the day!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Serephina posted:

There is a recently introduced browser standard that can tell if a window is in focus or not. It is trivial to disable on all sites (on firefox at least) as the tech has no legitimate use other than to antagonize users. I first noticed it when youtube was refusing to play in the background; that poo poo lasted all of five minutes. Fuckers.

gently caress, is this why I’ve been running into pages that won’t load unless they’re in focus?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The Battlefield 'news' feels like a reaction to Battlebit, just like how Skate 4 news felt like a reaction to all the Skating games out there and they noticed they were missing out on $$$.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Croccers posted:

The Battlefield 'news' feels like a reaction to Battlebit, just like how Skate 4 news felt like a reaction to all the Skating games out there and they noticed they were missing out on $$$.

But filtered through the stupidest possible AAA lens.

What lesson shall we take from this indie project made by 3 people that hyper focuses on the relative simplicity of our games and what people want from them? Why, re-imagined connected ecosystems, of course!

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Bumhead posted:

But filtered through the stupidest possible AAA lens.

What lesson shall we take from this indie project made by 3 people that hyper focuses on the relative simplicity of our games and what people want from them? Why, re-imagined connected ecosystems, of course!

The gaming industry is supposed to be larger than the movie and music industries combined and the bigger players haven't had anything to do with art in a long time. So it's probably more constructive to think of them as oil executives than creative studios, and from that standpoint their decisions are not based on "how can we make a product we can be proud of that keeps us in business" but rather "how can we leverage our market position to meet shareholder profit expectations"

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

FutureCop posted:

Definitely got a very similar vibe to Roboquest what with satisfyingly smooth and quick movement and shooting, though differing in certain ways, such as how where Roboquest has you switching and utilizing all sorts of guns during a run, Deadlink has you stick with your selected class guns (except heavy weapon which can be swapped to another classes) and instead focus on getting perks and modifiers during a run. In that regard, it's a lot more like Hades. I'd say it's also a bit more fast-paced manic combat with a focus on resource management (you do have infinite ammo for primary similar to Roboquest, but reloads are slower due to being able to get ammo straight into your gun from glory kills), linear/straightforward levels with no branching paths, and so on. I'm very much looking forward to Roboquest when it comes outta early access since I feel it will scratch the same itch this game does.

Hm, I'll have to try it and see if I like it. I like the challenge of using different guns in Roboquest. It being fast paced and what not is a point in it's favor though. I started my roguelike fps journey with gunfire reborn and while fun it doesn't feel as fun to play as Roboquest.

I really need to buy Roboquest on steam too. I've been playing it on gamepass and the more I play there the more I'm gonna have to replay if the save file conversion doesn't work

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sab669 posted:

After a dozen hours I've really lost interest :(
The Cube Pistol feels unreplaceable and now I've been wandering around some foggy map after the Labrynth for what feels like an eternity. And I feel like I have no idea what direction I should be going, just keep getting distracted by what turn out to be side dungeons. The Trait system feels extremely hollow and I can only tell my dog companion to Howl so many times before it stops being interesting.

Oh well, I bought it to keep me occupied until BG3 and today is finally the day!

Do you have a second archetype yet? Being able to mix and match really gave me a second wind around that same point

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I only unlocked the Alchemist spec and I think I only have the first potion still.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am a bit late to this but here are some interesting looking games coming out this month. Is this one of the best months of the year in indie gaming? Maybe:

Word Factori (8/3): Make words Zachtronics-style. VIDEOVERSE (8/7): A narrative game based on a fictional console OS similar to Miiverse.

Wrestlequest (8/7): Indie turn-based RPG with licensed wrestling cameos. I Am Future (8/8) (Early Access): Cozy rooftop scavenge sim.

Stray Gods (8/10): A fantasy neo-noir VN musical with mellow music. Atlas Fallen (8/10): The Surge developers try their hand at Monster Hunter.

Overwatch 2 (8/10): Now it's over here instead of over there. Hammerwatch II (8/15): An actually iterative sequel that touches grass and has an open world.

Moving Out 2 (8/15): More co-op couch-carrying chaos. Wayfinder (8/15) (Early Access): Battle Chasers dev and Warframe dev collab together on a hack & slash GAAS.

BlazBlue Entropy Effect (8/15): Splashy action-roguelite spinoff. En Garde! (8/16): Zorro simulator, good and fun.

HoloCure (8/16): What if Vampire Survivors were free and extremely anime? The Cosmic Wheel of Sisterhood (8/16): New narrative experience from The Red Strings Club developer.

Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew (8/17): Yarrrr the Shadow Tactics team has a new piratey adventure for ye. XENOTILT (8/18): Really loving cool pinball.

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk (8/18): Jet Set Radio 3... yep, it's finally here. AMID EVIL: The Black Labyrinth (8/18): YEP, IT'S FINALLY HERE.

Six Ages 2 (8/21): One of these kinds of games... are the ducks safe? Jumplight Odyssey (8/21) (Early Access): Spaceship sim meets 70's anime.

Blasphemous 2 (8/24): Time to repent again. ARMORED CORE VI (8/24): Getting some real "Dark Souls" vibes from this.

Under the Waves (8/29): Quantic Dream wisely letting people other than David Cage make games. Hercule Poirot: The London Case (8/29) - Follow-up to The First Cases, most likely the same gameplay.

Goodbye Volcano High (8/29): *jurassic park voice* Dino VN(a)! Rhapsody II & Rhapsody III (8/29): PS1 musical JRPGs getting a first time English localization.

Sea of Stars (8/29): JRPG from The Messenger dev, hopefully zero Jordan Peterson. Daymare 1994 (8/29): Sequel to that other RE clone, looking just as cloney.

OU (8/30): Possibly meta puzzle game with storybook visuals. Trine 5 (8/31): The puzzle-platformer series that never ends.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

I only unlocked the Alchemist spec and I think I only have the first potion still.

Alchemist is the most "might be useful in a party but even then it's marginal" archetype in the game imo. From the start of the game you can buy an item from some of the vendors in town for 1500 scrap that unlock the starter classes for you to use. You unlock the ability to use a second once you have 10 talent points in one talent and it really opens things up. You can freely switch between archetypes whenever you want.

If you didn't start with the handler class with the dog you should absolutely go talk to Mudtooth in town and buy the whistle so you can switch to Handler. It makes it far easier to play solo and works great as a secondary archetype once you've found one you really like.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sab669 posted:

You can buy the various 1500 scrap quest items from NPCs in town in order to unlock the starter classes as secondaries. I started with Handler and took Hunter as secondary, works really well with the "bonus VS enemies not targeting you" effects as they both work from stealth and also when your dog has aggro.

Also just FYI you can go back to the Labyrinth and use the portal key on the portal you didn't open to head to the other choice of "main world", you're not stuck just progressing one anymore. I'm enjoying bouncing between both.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wait wtf Blasphemous 2 comes out this month?? I was excited for the announcement but assumed it would be like 2024. Jeeze this month is stacked.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
If you are interested in puzzle games, a new event just started up, lasting until Tuesday.

Cerebral Puzzle Showcase

The event is curated, so it's not just one of Valve's experimental search lab things.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Serephina posted:

What's the firefox setting to turn this off?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
People seem to really like Remnant 2 but it's a bit expensive in my region, would Remnant 1 give me a good idea whether 2 is for me or not? I own the first one on Epic apparently

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Azran posted:

People seem to really like Remnant 2 but it's a bit expensive in my region, would Remnant 1 give me a good idea whether 2 is for me or not? I own the first one on Epic apparently

Yeah Remnant 2 is kind of Rem 1 but more so. That said, the biggest difference is that R2 leans way into puzzles and secrets that the first one is largely missing. For example, most side dungeons in R1 just have you running through a hallway until you fight a miniboss, in R2 that side dungeon might have a multilayered mechanic that you have to do both to progress it and to find some hidden piece of gear. Mechanically though, definitely similar enough that you can compare the two.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Azran posted:

By all accounts Remnant 2 is much better but I really enjoyed Remnant 1 for the time I played it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azran posted:

Probably. the first game is lower budget on presentation, it doesn’t make the best first impression by starting with its least interesting environment, and it doesn’t give you many options to start out so it can seem sparse on content early on. But the moment to moment gameplay is almost identical, so if you like what it’s going for then you’ll like the sequel. I still think it’s quite good as a “AA” kind of game and it’s worth playing even while the sequel exists.

it’s much better if you can play it with a friend. solo is doable but it’s a different and much less forgiving experience because you can’t be revived on death and all of the AI will be focused on you, which is tough because most boss fights spawn adds.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jesus like half a million people are playing Baldur's Gate 3 right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

This is going to usher in the new era of animal loving advertisements. Like how Dark Souls made everyone use bonfires

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

In my playthrough of dark souls, I never hosed a bonfire

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kazil posted:

THEN WHAT'S THE POINT

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

This is going to usher in the new era of animal loving advertisements. Like how Dark Souls made everyone use bonfires

Like those twitter accounts that keep track of games that let you pet dogs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bonefires

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

drat that’s a hell of a list. I’ll never play most, trials and tribulations of a gamer parent. Armored core will be my game this year I suppose, like elden ring was last year. Huge BG2 fan but I feel less pressed to start 3 over AC

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mordja posted:

half a million AND ONE!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow BG3 is loving pretty, really colorful too. Early access looked pretty good but they really cleaned it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

kazil posted:

i dont believe you