Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Kellies nomination: most easily reinterpreted. I think this category's going to get a lot of work this year.

Seriously, if I didn't know who Payne was I'd think it was just straight A Good Cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Lol.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I want to tie Fishman to a chair and ask him to explain what exactly this metaphor means because every implication is abominable.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

And yet, Thag is remembered to this day due to the thagomizer being named after him, as unfortunate as the event leading to that was for him.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Vib Rib posted:

I want to tie Fishman to a chair and ask him to explain what exactly this metaphor means because every implication is abominable.

I ate a month-long ban on Facebook for saying white people love badminton. No metaphor required, this isn't far from just being true at face value.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Dali was a hardcore fascist and so would probably be a climate denier. An even better cartoon than what the artist likely intended.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Ben Garrison posted:

JOE BIDEN’S WEATHER FORECAST, “IT’S RAINING YEN”
Cartoon published 08/01/2023

Devon Archer, Hunter Biden’s former business partner, testified before the House Oversight Committee on Monday. He said Joe Biden was put on the speakerphone 20 times during Hunter’s business dinners and conferences with foreign nationals. Hunter’s clients were anxious to gain influence over his father. One of the calls occurred during a meeting with a Chinese private equity firm.

Let’s stay in touch! Sign Up for Our GrrrNewsletter today!

Dan Goldman, a New York representative and Democrat, had the audacity to say the calls were probably benign. He claimed Joe was no doubt discussing family matters or the weather. (During Hunter’s business meetings?) At worst, Goldman suggested Hunter was merely using his dad as a lure to create the illusion that his clients could have access to his dad—for a price.

Donate $10 and Keep Ben Drawing

Hunter was and is an incompetent drug fiend—and yet he was closing deals from which he made millions of dollars that were then laundered through a dozen or so shell companies owned by the Bidens. There’s no way an incompetent such as Hunter would have been appointed to the board of the Ukrainian energy company Burisma if he was not connected to a powerful brand name—his father.

Donate $25 Support Ben’s work

If Joe Biden had any ethics at all, he would have refused to engage with people during Hunter’s conference calls. Maybe he felt he was helping his beloved son, who he claims is the smartest man he knows. More likely Joe was fully engaged in the pay-for-play schemes and even arranged for his son to meet powerful entities in various countries. Money trails have already been confirmed and most in Joe’s family have benefitted. Joe also bragged about extorting Ukraine outright in order to get a prosecutor who was investigating Hunter and Burisma to back off. Joe threatened to withhold a billion dollars in US aid until the prosecutor was fired. Biden shamelessly and gleefully bragged that his extortion was a success.

The Biden family are lying grifters and corrupt to the core, but the Democrats still ignore or cover up their crimes. When the heat that was on Joe Biden became too intense they even trotted out testimony about UFOs and alien bodies. Look for such distractions to increase as the walls close in on the Bidens.

Signed Prints Available!

— Ben Garrison
Bolding is his. I don't usually bother preserving it but the part about UFOs being manufactured as a way to distract from the Biden Crime Family is a new one to me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall and Most Tone Deaf

And people wonder why I didn't like Teh Nib.

Seriously, a stale anti-Hillary supporter joke framed in the context of climate change in 2023? There's so much fractally wrong here I don't know where to begin.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 3, 2023

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
That's Feinstein, not Hillary. The comic is in reference to current events.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Telegnostic posted:

That's Feinstein, not Hillary. The comic is in reference to current events.

Yeah it's still a lame continuance of their stupid faux-Road Warrior bullshit so in spirit it's an anti-Hillary cartoon.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Seriously, a stale anti-Hillary supporter joke framed in the context of climate change in 2023? There's so much fractally wrong here I don't know where to begin.

Agree with the nomination but I don't see what the cartoon has to do with Hillary. It seems to me it's about mythical strawman Dems who don't think Feinstein should step down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Agree with the nomination but I don't see what the cartoon has to do with Hillary. It seems to me it's about mythical strawman Dems who don't think Feinstein should step down.

Feinstein will never step down of her own accord even assuming she's still capable of doing anything of her own accord. Also if you don't remember 2016 (and if you've suppressed all memories of that year you have my true respect) there were lots of jokes about how any criticism of Hilldawg were just misogynists complaining about a powerful woman.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TremorX posted:

I ate a month-long ban on Facebook for saying white people love badminton. No metaphor required, this isn't far from just being true at face value.
Okay, and how you think Fishman meant it?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My guess is he's whining about fact checking?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Feinstein will never step down of her own accord even assuming she's still capable of doing anything of her own accord. Also if you don't remember 2016 (and if you've suppressed all memories of that year you have my true respect) there were lots of jokes about how any criticism of Hilldawg were just misogynists complaining about a powerful woman.

Man, Nancy loving Pelosi tried to portray the people calling for Feinstein to resign as misogynists.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...-in-the-senate/

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Democratic fanboy reads criticism of the Dems defending a corpse-Senator because she's a female invalid.

His beady little eyes narrow.

"This is because they hate Hillary"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
AI comics 100th anniversary edition

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tree Reformat posted:

Seriously, if I didn't know who Payne was I'd think it was just straight A Good Cartoon.

Yeah, I can't decide how intentional it was on Payne's part. Was it by accident or is he hoping that he'll get people sharing it that normally would hate his garbage takes?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I can't decide how intentional it was on Payne's part. Was it by accident or is he hoping that he'll get people sharing it that normally would hate his garbage takes?

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to look at that cartoon and immediately realize how foolish it is for this combination of movies to attempt to do any of those things (and that those things themselves are stupid things to want to nuke), especially considering that the scene it's referencing is supposed to be stupid and ridiculous. (Our sympathies are not supposed to be with the person riding the bomb, although that is often forgotten when this image gets used.) It's like those old Asay cartoons with gay people, where any reasonable person would look at them and think "what a nice couple", but the bare fact of them being gay and having a child is supposed to make us angry with no additional context.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

This is why most cartoonists would put words in his mouth or change the quote to something exaggerated and stupid.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah it's still a lame continuance of their stupid faux-Road Warrior bullshit so in spirit it's an anti-Hillary cartoon.

Lol, that's like saying that the Biden cartoons are actually still about Obama because he was his VP.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

It's not even really a correct opinion. Comparing Biden to Feinstein who at this point is just about Weekend at Bernie's in real life is the kind of propaganda meant to depress Democratic turnout. Maybe if this were by someone other than Varvel and if all three progress bars weren't stuck at the exact same point it'd be alright. And yeah I know I just defended Garrison for a similar cartoon but I wasn't really paying attention and admit my bad take.

You're right, I was being reductive. Just to be clear, I don't think Joe is senile, and I understand that he has a studder and is trying to overcome it and that's why he talks that way.

Also, not to "give it to ISIS", but McConnel's (probably) not senile either. He had a vertigo attack, and as someone who's had that in the past, it really is that incapacitating. Trying to remember which way down is while you're body's trying to send you into a spin is no fun.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

They aren't mythical.

"Why should Feinstein step down? Because she's a woman? If she were a man you wouldn't have a problem with her being senile!" is a real Democrat pro-Feinstein argument

https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/1646331069237698561

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Pelosi has absolutely defended her (shockingly, the old Democratic woman does not want an old Democratic woman to be pushed to leave for being old). However, note that even that quote is from an article about a Democrat calling for her to retire; it's been obvious for a while that she needs to and most Democrats would prefer that she did. It's kind of extraordinary that there's even this many people saying so in public; that is, in general, Not Done.

If the point of the cartoon is "Pelosi is a fool for defending her", that's a great point, but why not make her defender Mecha-Pelosi or something instead of using an everyman, thereby imputing on the party in general a feeling that does not seem to generally exist?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pelosi has absolutely defended her (shockingly, the old Democratic woman does not want an old Democratic woman to be pushed to leave for being old). However, note that even that quote is from an article about a Democrat calling for her to retire; it's been obvious for a while that she needs to and most Democrats would prefer that she did. It's kind of extraordinary that there's even this many people saying so in public; that is, in general, Not Done.
In a sane country it should actually be shocking that legislators are so committed to their own careerism over the interests of their country that they'll defend keeping actually senile legislators who don't even know what they're voting on in power yeah. Like that's just a smidge beyond the kinds of unethical lapses we should expect from ambitious people, it's just nuts.

idonotlikepeas posted:

If the point of the cartoon is "Pelosi is a fool for defending her", that's a great point, but why not make her defender Mecha-Pelosi or something instead of using an everyman, thereby imputing on the party in general a feeling that does not seem to generally exist?
She's not the only one doing that, the party has their PR flaks pushing that narrative, I just picked the example of Pelosi so no one could say it was just some low level flunkie's opinion and not the position of the leadership, so it's amusing to watch those goalposts move anyway.

If you're this mad about the cartoon be mad at your party leadership actually saying and doing the stupid poo poo, not at the cartoonist for simply pointing it out.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 3, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Andy Marlette

Umm, Andy, this is really weird.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Umm, Andy, this is really weird.

That American Dad episode awoke something in some people I guess.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

idonotlikepeas posted:

Because it is a cartoon about this happening in which an aide told her how to vote for the bill while she was trying to read out the text of what was just put in front of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRk1aV6cuh8

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Witch burners were def the good guys, right?

ABC

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I feel like part of the problem with the reaction to cartoons like that (and politics in general) is that people make the political party they support into a part of their identity so when someone criticizes something the party is doing, a lot of people take it personally and react like the critic is accusing them specifically of doing/saying a bad thing.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe actually part of the problem is people saying “the party is doing this” with the implication that you’re bad and stupid for supporting that party? Especially when it’s “a few people in the party are doing this but most are against it”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

logger posted:

Because it is a cartoon about this happening in which an aide told her how to vote for the bill while she was trying to read out the text of what was just put in front of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRk1aV6cuh8
It's not just about Democrats either, McConnell is in there, a reference to last week when he froze midsentence at a press conference and had to be lead away by handlers for juice and animal crackers before naptime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoTw84X5sMQ

skeleton warrior posted:

Maybe actually part of the problem is people saying “the party is doing this” with the implication that you’re bad and stupid for supporting that party? Especially when it’s “a few people in the party are doing this but most are against it”
I don't see where he implies that.

The cartoon literally has the normal people complaining about it and only some Capitol spokesperson defending it. He even labels the guy 'AIDE' so you know who it's supposed to be.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 3, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

...a good cartoon.

Kellies Nomination: Most Indistinguishable from a 4chan Wojack Meme

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Hm. Seems “Bidenomics” is a bad thing. Good point, Ramirez.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

skeleton warrior posted:

The thing with that though is that Who is saying it is more important than how many people feel a certain way about it.

What I mean is that Nancy Pelosi's opinion is going to carry more weight with the party than a hundred John Doe the unpaid interns or even most higher level staffers.
The party leadership isn't going to give a gently caress about an opinion they don't want to hear unless it's coming from a certain income bracket or level of influence, no matter how many people share that opinion.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You've got more determination for this gimmick than fishmech ever had.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

The thing with that though is that Who is saying it is more important than how many people feel a certain way about it.

What I mean is that Nancy Pelosi's opinion is going to carry more weight with the party than a hundred John Doe the unpaid interns or even most higher level staffers.
The party leadership isn't going to give a gently caress about an opinion they don't want to hear unless it's coming from a certain income bracket or level of influence, no matter how many people share that opinion.

It's also an (inadvertent?) admission of how undemocratic the "Democratic" party is. If it's off limits to criticize the party for keeping Feinstein in power, because MOST Democrats disagree with this and it's only a small handful (maybe just Pelosi?) doing it, yet Feinstein keeps getting returned to power anyway against the wishes of the vast majority of the party, is that democracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Dali was a hardcore fascist and so would probably be a climate denier. An even better cartoon than what the artist likely intended.

I didn’t know this :smith: