Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just started watching Arrested Development for the first time. I can't believe I've waited so long. I end up watching every episode about four times to catch everything. And sometimes the dumbest little sight gag will destroy me, like someone trying to carry too many brownies in one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The original run of arrested developmentwas pretty incredible and does a great job of setting up gags for way later, including ones they never got around to (like Tobias being black) but man some of it has aged extremely poorly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, be prepared for some really unfortunate transphobic and ableist jokes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, some of the stuff isn't great, or downright horrible.

However, everything Bob Loblaw is gold.

The Bob Loblaw Law Blog. He lobbed a law bomb, a Bob Loblaw Law Bomb!

A low blow, Loblaw.

Apparently, Mitch Hurwitz directed Scott Baio not to act whatsoever, and to just say his lines, giving Bob Loblaw literally no personality. Like he never emotes. It's weird, but it works.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Aug 2, 2023

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Fall Dog posted:

You might also enjoy Loaded Weapon.
Is this the one where the protagonists bash their knees or trip on some subtitles on the screen? That was so stupid but also great and its what I remember from watching it as a kid.

edit: was it hotshots?? guess i gotta do some rewatches

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The "Insert Adjective Here Movie" movies ruined parodies forever, but the first three Scary Movie entries actually had effort put into them, unlike Epic/Disaster/Etc. Scary Movie 3 has one of my absolute favorite gags in filmdom (the shovel) as well as this meta moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc8yJjjHt6o

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Basically anything that Friedberg and Seltzer had their names on with the exception of the first Scary Movie. Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie, Vampires Suck, Starving Games, Superfast!, etc.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Scary Movie 3 also had David Zucker direct it, which is a big plus.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, it's the last good thing he did before American Carol.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6QXefPM-ig

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, some of the stuff isn't great, or downright horrible.

However, everything Bob Loblaw is gold.

The Bob Loblaw Law Blog. He lobbed a law bomb, a Bob Loblaw Law Bomb!

A low blow, Loblaw.

Apparently, Mitch Hurwitz directed Scott Baio not to act whatsoever, and to just say his lines, giving Bob Loblaw literally no personality. Like he never emotes. It's weird, but it works.

Just like a real lawyer!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

Just started watching Arrested Development for the first time. I can't believe I've waited so long. I end up watching every episode about four times to catch everything. And sometimes the dumbest little sight gag will destroy me, like someone trying to carry too many brownies in one hand.

I probably watch the show 10 times on DVD. When I finally watched it in hi-def I noticed another one of these. There's a scene in the bathroom and there's a blue ring around the tub.
:kiss:

But yeah, there's some stuff in the show that hasn't aged well. Transphobic and ableist things as mentioned above, and some of the jokes around Tobias being gay make me uncomfortable now.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

beats for junkies posted:

Is it the train station bit? That's a good one.

Everybody should watch Top Secret, either again or for the first time.

I'm watching it for the first time RIGHT NOW and it's amazing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

deoju posted:

I probably watch the show 10 times on DVD. When I finally watched it in hi-def I noticed another one of these. There's a scene in the bathroom and there's a blue ring around the tub.
:kiss:

But yeah, there's some stuff in the show that hasn't aged well. Transphobic and ableist things as mentioned above, and some of the jokes around Tobias being gay make me uncomfortable now.

lmao that's great

Yeah, I sorta accept that any comedy is going to have some bits like that. I do not find it particularly hilarious that George Michael is dating a girl who is a little heavyset and not all that pretty. But I *do* find it hilarious that Gob is obsessed with stealing Michael's food, so I can deal.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Cage posted:

Is this the one where the protagonists bash their knees or trip on some subtitles on the screen? That was so stupid but also great and its what I remember from watching it as a kid.

edit: was it hotshots?? guess i gotta do some rewatches

That might be Johnny Dangerously? I recall a car driving into the opening subtitles in that.

One of my favourite little visual gags of Loaded Weapon is when Tim Curry said he's been waiting for this moment, and he's sat next to a little TV on a table with a bunch of takeout containers.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I do not find it particularly hilarious that George Michael is dating a girl who is a little heavyset and not all that pretty.
The deal with Ann Veal isn't that she's heavyset or not very pretty. (I would argue that she is neither of these things. If she is either of these things, it is not relevant.) It's more that she kind of...isn't. She's so aggressively bland that she fades into the background. People's brains can't seem to hold on to the concept of her for very long.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fall Dog posted:

That might be Johnny Dangerously? I recall a car driving into the opening subtitles in that.

One of my favourite little visual gags of Loaded Weapon is when Tim Curry said he's been waiting for this moment, and he's sat next to a little TV on a table with a bunch of takeout containers.

“Suicide, huh? Musta caught herself by surprise.”

Kills me every time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah? Well these matches say you’re lying.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

HopperUK posted:

not all that pretty.

Her?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hirayuki posted:

The deal with Ann Veal isn't that she's heavyset or not very pretty. (I would argue that she is neither of these things. If she is either of these things, it is not relevant.) It's more that she kind of...isn't. She's so aggressively bland that she fades into the background. People's brains can't seem to hold on to the concept of her for very long.

I call her because she's shaped like...

She's the belle of the ball!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I don't think a tv show has ever made me laugh as hard or as much as Arrested Development did.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I call her because she's shaped like...

She's the belle of the ball!
When the show wants to present someone as ugly, that person is presented as UGLY. Like, you'll know it.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Aug 3, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Where are you guys watching Top Secret? Hopefully for free?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you've been on the internet since at least 2007, you'd think you'd know your options

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hirayuki posted:

When the show wants to present someone as ugly, that person is presented as UGLY. Like, you'll know it.

He also calls her Annhog and her last name is literally young cow.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

flatluigi posted:

you've been on the internet since at least 2007, you'd think you'd know your options

I checked the geocities archives but it's not there. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Yeah. Children's hospital was really great at using it's short run time as well. Just great pacing for that kind of comedy.

Netflix also made a follow up, Medical Police, which followed Owen (Rob Huebel) and Lola (Erinn Hayes) and eventually went back to Childrens Hospital.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

He also calls her Annhog and her last name is literally young cow.

Yeah this. Like I think she's perfectly fine-looking but 'she is so boring I forgot she existed' is only part of the joke.

Most comedies will have something in them I don't appreciate though. And I just saw the amazing moment where Tobias thinks 'you're the big marriage expert? Oh that's right, your wife is DEAD' is a good point to make.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I remember thinking Michael was normal the first time I watched it, and then on rewatch realising he was just as crazy as the rest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah michael is a huge piece of poo poo lol

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I remember thinking Michael was normal the first time I watched it, and then on rewatch realising he was just as crazy as the rest.

On his Inside The Actors Studio episode, Jason Bateman says he thinks Michael is the craziest of the lot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oh yeah he's terrible. He genuinely knows better and keeps diving headfirst back into that bullshit anyway.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Michael's weakness is that he does (kind of) care about the rest of his family. It took 3 seasons before he & George Michael finally broke away during their finale.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Android Apocalypse posted:

Michael's weakness is that he does (kind of) care about the rest of his family. It took 3 seasons before he & George Michael finally broke away during their finale.

Yeah I think it's part stockholm syndrome and part saviour complex.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know what you all were expecting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Schneider Inside Her posted:

His craziness does seem to sneaky up on you, but as soon as you notice you can't un-notice it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That dead dove reaction has catapulted up to one of my favourite comedy moments of all time. That's what Bateman is amazing at imo, the 'doesn't read like a joke on the page, and yet' stuff.

I'm also watching Ozark so that's a fun adjustment to keep making.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

HopperUK posted:

I'm also watching Ozark so that's a fun adjustment to keep making.

There's a whole bunch of stuff in Ozark that's only a Ron Howard narration away from being an unusually intense episode of Arrested Development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Rascar Capac posted:

There's a whole bunch of stuff in Ozark that's only a Ron Howard narration away from being an unusually intense episode of Arrested Development.

Real shoddy narrating, just pure crap.