Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DreddyMatt posted:

Bro you'll have to tell me why places become ghettos, coz it's a sociological thing I've not studied.

I guess it's where you stick a group of minorities together in a small community and give them no access to services.

That's not really what I'm suggesting though. Creating a solely traveller housing estate wouldn't be good. Getting them in estates in towns and becoming part of the local community is gonna be a better outcome overall.

Ok, so, you realise that's going to involve splitting up the community, right? Taking the kids away from their friends, scattering them so they can't maintain a sense of cohesion? Breaking up extended families, all that poo poo.

That really sounds a lot like deliberate cultural erasure to me, that sounds pretty hosed up.

Now if you don't do that, you let people settle in one place, keep their existing relationships etc, what's the plan for stopping the surrounding people from treating them like dogshit? Because if you can't sort out prejudices keeping people from employment, having a good school life in the schools you want them to go to, general mistreatment from others, then you're going to create a ghetto, a place where "undesirable" people live and which is shunned by people with money and power, it's what happens very frequently with all kinds of minorities.

And it happens because, as I keep saying, the problem is with the hegemonic society. You need to stop society from wronging people first because if you don't then anything else you try is going to be utterly destroyed by those same behaviours from society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

forkboy84 posted:

It's true, Corbyn didn't lose because he essentially triangulated on the messaging to try & appease a PLP that was never going to be appeased by him & were intent from day 0 in wrecking his leadership, or a media that went in lock-step from day 1 to paint him as a bigot & a madman who hate Britain or any of the dozen other reasons I could come up with. He lost because of low effort sarcasm on an internet forum used by a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the electorate. Genius.

Your posts are 100% a sign you're not fit to post. Except maybe outside of Stormfront

sorry, I missede this, but people who vote read this forum

I know all this poo poo about corbyn was bs. u know it too. That does not matter.

I don't know how I will vote in the next general. I was happy to vote for labour with corbyn. with starmer idfk. maybe he is just 'clowning' it to get the loving sun vote. idk. maybe not. maybe he jenuinly is this much of a prick. I console mysrelf that I don't live in a marginal. This is prime kent/se votor territory. I would put money on helen grant being my next mp if I was a gambling man.

so yea, idk how i will vote, but atleast part of the reason that left-wing labour lost was because of smug loving pricks like him, looking down their nose at ppl.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
The machine has lots and lots of 'tory season! Labour season!' Flyers being ripped off of it until the last page comes off and it's just hitlers face

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Maximum Pepsi posted:

If i was the type of c8unt who was wavering between starmers labour, or the tories, your cuntish point scooring might have just tipped the balance (in the wrong way)

If you're wavering between those two parties it doesn't make a meaningful difference which way you fall hth

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Maximum Pepsi posted:

cunts like you dont help anything or fix anything.

rubbing my nose in the dirt when i'm down does not fix things. If i was the type of c8unt who was wavering between starmers labour, or the tories, your cuntish point scooring might have just tipped the balance (in the wrong way)

respectfully, what are we saying here? would it be better to be wrong but treated nicely, or correct and scolded?

the thing about "just explain nicely" is that human beings in general are not rational and don't logic their way into their beliefs - conclusions are formed based on emotions and reasons are backfilled in to support

which, uh, suggests the opposite of your point: you're better off yelling at people to make them feel bad/scared/whatever, because politely using facts and statistics just lets you get ignored (c.f. Clegg vs Farage Brexit debate)

I appreciate this sucks to experience but this is where it helps to remember we're all idiot monkeys and getting yelled at by internet strangers isn't the worst thing that can happen to you today

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder how traveller communities will handle the switch to electric vehicles when ice vehicles are no longer sold. At least they can use starlink roaming for fast, reliable internet whilst on the road.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Namtab posted:

I would never say g*y or h*m*sexual

Well dur of course not, how could you pronounce the asterisks?

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
social credit will be with us in the next 10 years or so

you can help settle people down now with schemes and money, or you can let them be alone and deal with the hell they’ll be in for when this rubbish gets implemented by the next Tory government. this is the choice. there is no nice end to this story.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maximum Pepsi posted:

sorry I don't want to be another oval office like 'flaps but

"quoteplease explain "quote

I learned a lesson today.

I got schooled ok

I recognised my own predudice ( for maybe) the 1st time.

rubbing my nose in the dirt when i'm down does not fix things. If i was the type of c8unt who was wavering between starmers labour, or the tories, your cuntish point scooring might have just tipped the balance (in the wrong way)

Literally just this

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder how traveller communities will handle the switch to electric vehicles when ice vehicles are no longer sold. At least they can use starlink roaming for fast, reliable internet whilst on the road.

:discourse:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Maximum Pepsi posted:

"quoteplease explain "quote

I learned a lesson today.

I got schooled ok

I recognised my own predudice ( for maybe) the 1st time.

if a post on a internet forum is enough to make you vote Tory then you're already a Tory

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was thinking about electric cars the other day, I don’t even know how my wife is gonna handle it and we own a house with a driveway and everything.

The driveway is away from the house and I’m not gonna be that oval office who just runs 40 feet of extension cord out a window and all over a public pathway just to plug the car in.

The solution is probably faster charging so the ‘drive to a charging station as though it was a petrol station’ model is still useful but when everyone’s limping around in 3-4 year old cars with clapped out batteries that ain’t gonna work for long.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Starlink, Starbright, let me download GIFs tonight

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why are there suddenly multiple people visiting the thread to fiercely argue that the travelling way of life should be suppressed and travellers forcibly integrated into mainstream society?

Like, it's an incredibly odd topic to just pop up out of nowhere.

Tesseraction posted:

Look, up there in the sky! It's the Fash Symbol!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So, anyway, what’s the threads thoughts on London?

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

Lt. Danger posted:

respectfully, what are we saying here? would it be better to be wrong but treated nicely, or correct and scolded?

the thing about "just explain nicely" is that human beings in general are not rational and don't logic their way into their beliefs - conclusions are formed based on emotions and reasons are backfilled in to support

which, uh, suggests the opposite of your point: you're better off yelling at people to make them feel bad/scared/whatever, because politely using facts and statistics just lets you get ignored (c.f. Clegg vs Farage Brexit debate)

I appreciate this sucks to experience but this is where it helps to remember we're all idiot monkeys and getting yelled at by internet strangers isn't the worst thing that can happen to you today

I know how I learn, I guess I can only speak from my own experience. but someone yelling/scolding me makes me want to do the opposite of whatever.

can't work how to quote u seb sorry, but yeah I agree.

I honestly belive a labour govrnment will be slightly less poo poo that a tory one. but it is marginal. so.

like sorry going back to it but, the best teachers I had at school didn't (neccesarly) scold me. They showed me by example. That is how I learned.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

I was thinking about electric cars the other day, I don’t even know how my wife is gonna handle it and we own a house with a driveway and everything.

The driveway is away from the house and I’m not gonna be that oval office who just runs 40 feet of extension cord out a window and all over a public pathway just to plug the car in.

Can you cut a trench and run a conduit?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm gonna come poo poo up the thread and call people cunts and if you call me out on my prejudice then it's your fault that I'm voting for Tories next election

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Crystal Thenis posted:

social credit will be with us in the next 10 years or so

you can help settle people down now with schemes and money, or you can let them be alone and deal with the hell they’ll be in for when this rubbish gets implemented by the next Tory government. this is the choice. there is no nice end to this story.

It’s fine agenda 2030 will be with us first, the WEF won’t let social credit happen

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Re: electric cars, surely the solution for on the go charging would be a standard size, shape, and connectors for batteries, and when you go to a station you swap out your batteries.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maximum Pepsi posted:

like sorry going back to it but, the best teachers I had at school didn't (neccesarly) scold me. They showed me by example. That is how I learned.

Your teachers should be tried in The Hague

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

smellmycheese posted:

very positive, glowing reviews, many satisfied people

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Or apropos your username - what kind of cheese is the best? Can't beat a really mature cheddar with some pickled onions in my opinion (nice and crumbly none of that yank muck) but once in a while I have to treat myself to some Roquefort with Branstons.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Re: electric cars, surely the solution for on the go charging would be a standard size, shape, and connectors for batteries, and when you go to a station you swap out your batteries.

Brexit Means Brexit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

More seriously there are electric semi-trucks that do this as I recall. The YOSPOS thread was laughing at Musk's pathetic semi and its failure to perform. Also his electronic haulage vehicle's design.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can you cut a trench and run a conduit?

Physically probably yeah but I have no idea how that would work out legally if I wanted to go ahead and do it since I would need to go literally via the pavement to get to where the driveway is, because it’s not just ‘away from the house’ it’s ‘away from the house and round the corner and in the middle of a row of driveways that all belong to the terrace that my house is in’.

Angrymog posted:

You may be underestimating how big and heavy the battery setup for an electric car is, plus this would also lead to some people getting a poo poo battery for their swap unless there was also some formalised program of replacing the crap ones that get turned in at the station.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maximum Pepsi posted:

I know how I learn, I guess I can only speak from my own experience. but someone yelling/scolding me makes me want to do the opposite of whatever.

I honestly belive a labour govrnment will be slightly less poo poo that a tory one. but it is marginal. so.

Children need to be taught like that, because they're children. Adults certainly benefit from being taught like that, but I would suggest that if people should have one skill that marks the transition from childhood to adulthood, it should be the understanding that not everybody is going to be willing to hold your hand through everything, and that it is incumbent upon the learner to approach situations with a desire to understand, to meet people half way.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

DreddyMatt posted:

That's quite a stretch.

Putting your desire to live on the road above your child's needs to education and healthcare is 100% a sign you're not fit to patent.

um

pretty sure the NHS don't refuse travellers treatment

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I'm gonna come poo poo up the thread and call people cunts and if you call me out on my prejudice then it's your fault that I'm voting for Tories next election

For some reason I feel like empty-quoting this. If you vote for the loving tories u deserve what u get tho.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maximum Pepsi posted:

For some reason I feel like empty-quoting this. If you vote for the loving tories u deserve what u get tho.

It’s not an empyquote if you write a reply

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I'm surprised that the what are your blokes thoughts guy hasn't popped in as well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deketh posted:

I'm surprised that the what are your blokes thoughts guy hasn't popped in as well

He's threadbanned, mercifully.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i long for the return of the stig guy. he was fun

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Looks like Wilko's might collapse! Where will I get my cheap DIY stuff from in future??

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

He's threadbanned, mercifully.

Hmmm. I think I've found a solution to our traveller posters problem.

So much for the toblerone left.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Maximum Pepsi posted:

poo poo like this is (partly) why corbyn lost

can you not see that?
:hmmyes:

Corbyn lost because he did the bad kind of racism (antisemitism) instead of good kind of racism (anti-ziganism).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Looks like Wilko's might collapse! Where will I get my cheap DIY stuff from in future??

A thousand bingo halls cry out as the only source of those weird little pens they use vanishes forever

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maximum Pepsi posted:

Your teachers were paid to educate you, I'm not. :shrug:

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

OwlFancier posted:

and that it is incumbent upon the learner to approach situations with a desire to understand, to meet people half way.

yeah sorry i already posted so im posting again but.... i guess, maybe, people hold onto the way they learned the first time. The way they were taught. It is not incumbent on a GRT person to teach me to to be predudice (tho that might help) It is on me to learn my own predudices and how I will 'deal' with em in future.

But I apprecciated you breaking things down for me. I learned something today. I learned that even though I thought I had no predudice/racial bias, I do. and I know it is on me to deal with that.

The actual important thing is that I learned. pointless pointscoring might win some arguments/upvote, but it does not win people over to your pov.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every day my teachers used to burst through the door and kick the poo poo out of me until I could integrate by parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
cum