Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It wasn't even a school day Mr Bridges what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

EDIT: Didn't see this had largely died off. IGNORE.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Maximum Pepsi posted:

I know how I learn, I guess I can only speak from my own experience. but someone yelling/scolding me makes me want to do the opposite of whatever.

No-one likes to be scolded but that is a very juvenile response, it's like a kid folding their arms and stamping their feet at being told to do something they don't want to do.

And yeah maybe, in the abstract, people yelling at you aren't explaining things in the most helpful way for you personally to learn, but we're not living in that abstract world. We're living in a world where the people on here you're demanding patience of to explain things better are the people whose lives are being put in danger by the authoritarian machinery right wing governments like ours are just itching for an excuse to build. Sure it sucks your take on GRT people or whatever gets a plate of cold sick response but for a minute think about how much that actually matters when you put it up against they've done to immigrants, travellers, LGBT folk.

You do you but if people seem angry at what you say and a "wait a minute, maybe I'm being a loving idiot here" response doesn't kick in somewhere then I don't know what to tell you

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
300+ new posts? What happened - did Chuck Sausage-Mitts die, Corbyn form a new party, Sunak call a snap general election?

Oh. Huh.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I prefer crisp chat to this.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I can't crisp chat, I'm on a diet and that would be too tempting

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tesseraction posted:

Every day my teachers used to burst through the door and kick the poo poo out of me until I could integrate by parts.

Private education, huh?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

I prefer crisp chat to this.

My controversial opinion is that all ice-cream cones should come with the fun little blob of chocolate you get at the bottom of a Cornetto.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

favourite liqourice allsort?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Maximum Pepsi posted:

I know how I learn, I guess I can only speak from my own experience. but someone yelling/scolding me makes me want to do the opposite of whatever.

can't work how to quote u seb sorry, but yeah I agree.

I honestly belive a labour govrnment will be slightly less poo poo that a tory one. but it is marginal. so.

like sorry going back to it but, the best teachers I had at school didn't (neccesarly) scold me. They showed me by example. That is how I learned.

Here's the thing, though. You mentioned that a post in this thread had helped you recognise your "prejudice for (maybe) the first time". I'd ask that you stop and think about what that means. It means that in this thread, the attitudes you were expressing were prejudiced. They had to be, right? For that post to respond to what you were saying and get you to realise that?

The key insight that should follow from that is this: Saying prejudiced things is offensive. It upsets them, it makes them angry, and they're not wrong to feel that way.

And we have a socially acceptable mechanism for dealing with that. When you're in a conversation with a group of people, and you say something that the group finds highly offensive, you're societally expected to apologise for the offensive thing you said, and most people would consider the polite thing to do to be to exit from the situation after the apology until things cool down a bit. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be welcome back in future--though on your return you might occasionally have to reiterate that you really are still sorry for the offensive attitude you expressed (and ideally, that you've re-examined your prejudice and hopefully shed it).

But what you probably shouldn't do, if you've expressed a view that you yourself have now realised is prejudiced and offended a large number of people in the process, is stick around, continue to argue with people who are offended, and make out that they're the problem for getting upset about the prejudiced views you expressed. That's not going to help you assimilate to the posting climate in here, if you catch my drift.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

grobbo posted:

My controversial opinion is that all ice-cream cones should come with the fun little blob of chocolate you get at the bottom of a Cornetto.

Only if it's nice chocolate, because the cornetto stuff is horrible.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

OwlFancier posted:

Now if you don't do that, you let people settle in one place, keep their existing relationships etc, what's the plan for stopping the surrounding people from treating them like dogshit? Because if you can't sort out prejudices keeping people from employment, having a good school life in the schools you want them to go to, general mistreatment from others, then you're going to create a ghetto, a place where "undesirable" people live and which is shunned by people with money and power, it's what happens very frequently with all kinds of minorities.

Yeah, that's a valid point, but integrating with the community and getting along is what society is about. People living and working together and seeing that we're all just people is how it has worked in this country whenever a minority community or immigrants have moved into an area.

poo poo as this place may be, we don't have regular race riots in communities with lots of immigrants. There are no no-go zones in London

OwlFancier posted:

And it happens because, as I keep saying, the problem is with the hegemonic society. You need to stop society from wronging people first because if you don't then anything else you try is going to be utterly destroyed by those same behaviours from society.

I'm all for improving society, but I don't see it happening any time soon, so what do we do in the interim?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DreddyMatt posted:

Yeah, that's a valid point, but integrating with the community and getting along is what society is about. People living and working together and seeing that we're all just people is how it has worked in this country whenever a minority community or immigrants have moved into an area.

poo poo as this place may be, we don't have regular race riots in communities with lots of immigrants. There are no no-go zones in London

There aren't "no-go zones" in 99% of the places that imagine they exist, the concept of "no-go zones" is yet another symptom of the dominant society projecting their own failings on the people they victimize. You don't gauge society by whether no-go zones exist, you gauge it by how many people imagine they exist.

What exactly do you think sending the cops in to gently caress up traveller camps is? You know, the policy that labour keeps campaigning on being a big fan of?

Why do you think that would become less popular if people were living in houses rather than caravans?

Maximum Pepsi
Jul 30, 2022

by vyelkin

Reveilled posted:

Here's the thing, though. You mentioned that a post in this thread had helped you recognise your "prejudice for (maybe) the first time". I'd ask that you stop and think about what that means. It means that in this thread, the attitudes you were expressing were prejudiced. They had to be, right? For that post to respond to what you were saying and get you to realise that?

The key insight that should follow from that is this: Saying prejudiced things is offensive. It upsets them, it makes them angry, and they're not wrong to feel that way.

And we have a socially acceptable mechanism for dealing with that. When you're in a conversation with a group of people, and you say something that the group finds highly offensive, you're societally expected to apologise for the offensive thing you said, and most people would consider the polite thing to do to be to exit from the situation after the apology until things cool down a bit. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be welcome back in future--though on your return you might occasionally have to reiterate that you really are still sorry for the offensive attitude you expressed (and ideally, that you've re-examined your prejudice and hopefully shed it).

But what you probably shouldn't do, if you've expressed a view that you yourself have now realised is prejudiced and offended a large number of people in the process, is stick around, continue to argue with people who are offended, and make out that they're the problem for getting upset about the prejudiced views you expressed. That's not going to help you assimilate to the posting climate in here, if you catch my drift.

Maybe there are GRT ppl qwho post on this dead-gay forum. If they do post here I am genuninnly sorry. Not just sorry for the offence caused, but sorry for offending them.

I'm sorry for being that oval office/prick.

But I mean who are you being offended on behalf of?

I try when I post y'know.

I mean gently caress it by blood im a 1/4 irish myself so maybe I should be offened.

I guess this is part of posting online. like maybe a grt person could have read my post and been offended. for that I am genuinly sorry. like I feel like I am apologising to you and idk why?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
was like a really good episode of Kilroy, that

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Racism, in my Britain!?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
on this forum? in this thread? at this time on a weekday?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maximum Pepsi posted:

Maybe there are GRT ppl qwho post on this dead-gay forum. If they do post here I am genuninnly sorry. Not just sorry for the offence caused, but sorry for offending them.

I mean gently caress it by blood im a 1/4 irish myself so maybe I should be offened.

I guess this is part of posting online. like maybe a grt person could have read my post and been offended. for that I am genuinly sorry. like I feel like I am apologising to you and idk why?

Again, the reason people are angry is because those are the kind of sentiments that have been expressed towards every minority in history that has been considered an acceptable punching bag. And there are plenty of people ITT who fall into those groups, and who will be giving you a very strong side eye if your position is "well it's bad when we do it to these people but these other people are fair game" because they fully recognize the similarity between their positions, and you're giving off the vibe that you're one bit of social acceptability from turning on them, as well.

It's still acceptable to talk poo poo like that about trans people, a decade ago it was acceptable to talk like that about gay people, a decade earlier, muslims, a decade earlier, irish, black, pakistani. Some people will still talk poo poo about all of those people.

It is not that far away. People who recognize the pattern aren't going to be impressed by "well I'm ok with the people who have a bit of institutional support for their rights but these others..." as a position. Because we don't think those situations are each separate things, they're all expressions of the same thing, the same broken thing in how people think about others.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 3, 2023

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
If those views are left unchallenged it means:

A. People won't learn that it's just a horrible thing to think in general, let alone discuss like it's normal. 'I know a lot of these people, and they do a lot of crime!' becomes 'Well statistically they are predisposed to crime' becomes 'We should do something about the crime people'

B. It will attract other people who think similar and believe it's an acceptable topic to talk about, making it harder to stamp out in future

And apart from it just being wrong, it shows that there's something very unpleasant lurking in the person who believes it. And if there is, why would people want to talk to you. It's not hard to understand why even if you're not affected you should care.

Maximum Pepsi posted:

You do?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Hey been taking a break from the thread because of work, what did I miss?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This thread is getting a bit much, can we all be outraged about this instead for a bit?

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1686760950039183362?s=20

A quarter of respondents don't think people on benefits should be able to afford gas, electricity, water, or a balanced diet.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Gotta love the home office:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/aug/02/africas-top-cyclist-biniam-girmay-denied-uk-visa-for-glasgow-worlds

The UK is hosting the cycling world championships, and is denying visas for top competitors for…reasons?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Maximum Pepsi posted:

Being Irish isn't the same thing as being Irish Traveller. If it's a requirement to salve your conscience, three of my four sets of great grandparents were Irish Traveller so I guess I'm 75% GRT.

But it's not about that--when someone expresses prejudiced views, people who reject those views aren't offended on behalf of someone else, they're offended because someone has expressed something offensive. Whether there's someone GRT here doesn't actually matter! Prejudiced views are offensive to people in this thread, regardless of their background.

Of course if you didn't actually care about being offensive, that'd be another matter altogether. But it wouldn't leave you much of a leg to stand on for complaining about people being mean to you.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Reveilled posted:

That's not going to help you assimilate to the posting climate in here, if you catch my drift.

I don't think that's going to be a problem actually.

Edit:

quote:

No-one likes to be scolded
*cough*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's a timely article:

quote:

Refused a drink, scapegoated by MPs: Gypsy, Roma and Traveller life in Britain is only getting harder

When I arrived at the north London pub 20 minutes late, my friend was midway through her latest romantic drama. She was having relationship troubles with her (live-in!) boyfriend of two weeks, and with every twist and turn in the story our noisy histrionics increased. Across from us, a group of about 30 people sat spread across several tables, quietly enjoying a twixtmas drink. After an abortive attempt to secure a drink through the app, I went to the bar.

As I arrived, two of the people from the tables across from us were also there, attempting to do the same. The staff behind the bar refused to serve them and when they argued back, the whole bar was shut. As I returned to the table, my friend was still in full flow. Over her shoulder, I saw the ominous hi-vis jackets of two Metropolitan police officers enter the pub and talk to the bar staff before approaching the group next to us. Before long another dozen or so arrived, demanding that they leave. Their crime? Being Travellers in a pub.

We protested over their eviction and ended up in a confrontation with the officers, before leaving with the group. Outside, shaken up and annoyed, we chatted to some of those who’d been ejected. “Don’t bother yourselves about it,” they told me. “It happens all the time.”

For people even tangentially connected or aware of the Gypsy, Roma and Traveller communities (GRT), this incident is not particularly surprising. Nor is this week’s news that the Welsh secretary and Monmouth MP, David TC Davies, had distributed a leaflet encouraging people to air their views on the “establishment of a number of Gypsy Traveller sites in the county”.

The leaflets have come under sharp criticism – some have said they “border on racism” (for what it’s worth, I’d say they’re overtly racist), while others have rightly argued they are emblematic of the continued creation of a hostile environment for GRT people. The reality is these leaflets once again expose a complex system of oppression and persecution that aims to eradicate GRT people and culture. This country has a long history of propagating this kind of racism, and it has only increased in the past few years.

A 2017 BBC investigation found that less than a third of pitches needed by these communities had been built, with many local authorities leaving unspent funds allocated for the creation of such resources. In its 2019 election manifesto, the Conservative party promised to “crack down on unauthorised encampments” and did so with the passing of the public order legislation that criminalised trespass.

It is said that anti-GRT sentiment is the last acceptable form of bigotry. I know that if you ask any of my black, Muslim, or transgender friends, for example, they would quite rightly push back on this, but it does speak to a bigger truth. Any time I mention my Romany heritage online, even in passing, my mentions immediately fill up with slurs. In the real world, I have lost count of the number of times people, even those who would consider themselves nominally “of the left” have slipped in a slur or a trope into casual conversation (before immediately rowing back when I pull them up on it).

Indeed, a report by the Traveller movement found that 91% of GRT people had experienced discrimination, with 77% having been victims of hate speech or hate crimes. The survey also found that 40% of British parents would be “unhappy” with a close family member forming a relationship with a Traveller. A 2018 report found that 44% of people feel comfortable expressing anti-Gypsy sentiment, the highest number of respondents, with the second (22%) being happy to be openly Islamophobic.

Let’s be very clear: this is not just an issue with the Conservative party. Anti-GRT sentiment exists across the political spectrum – in 2021, Labour MP Charlotte Nichols had to apologise for her own set of leaflets which promised to deal with “Gypsy incursions”. In 2016, the shadow minister for domestic violence and safeguarding, Jess Philips, tweeted: “To my constituents, we have informed the council and the police about the traveller camp arriving on the Poolway”, apparently forgetting that those in the camp were also her constituents.

The media are also not without blame. From incendiary columns to bungled “investigations” into “traveller crime”, the collective impact of the centuries-old onslaught on GRT people is to continue to posit them as subhuman. As not worthy of safety, security or happiness. GRT people have some of the worst health outcomes across any group. The average life expectancy for GRT men and women is 50. There is poverty, deprivation and vast mental health issues. The collective attack on communities does nothing to deal with these problems – through isolation and prejudice it exacerbates them, while criminalising groups of people based on their ethnicity.

This leaflet row has fallen in the same week as Roma and Sinti Genocide Remembrance Day. It should act as a reminder that we must learn from the past and replace the campaign of hatred and denigration with a recognition of GRT people as human beings deserving of investment, of opportunity and of hope.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

This thread is getting a bit much, can we all be outraged about this instead for a bit?

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1686760950039183362?s=20

A quarter of respondents don't think people on benefits should be able to afford gas, electricity, water, or a balanced diet.

Yeah a good portion of the UK are just evil.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
not suffering from malnutrition, a decent standard of hygiene, a smartphone and laptop etc. are all requirements to get paid work but we know this ofc

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Maximum Pepsi posted:

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

no_one you need to speak to somebody and get some help my dude.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
poor bastard

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I was thinking about electric cars the other day, I don’t even know how my wife is gonna handle it and we own a house with a driveway and everything.

I wanted an electric car and would have paid more for one but have the same issues- can't charge at home, local chargers are almost always out of service or occupied- they seem to get added to a car park, fail, then sit a few months before another is installed

smellmycheese posted:

So, anyway, what’s the threads thoughts on London?

I want to add something important and thought provoking to my previous london trip report

after I got home my bogeys were all clean and fresh, whereas as a kid I distinctly remember mining coal out of there each time I went

Pistol_Pete posted:

Looks like Wilko's might collapse! Where will I get my cheap DIY stuff from in future??

this would actually be a loving blow, only place I can get bird balls semi-cheaply anymore since b&m got pricey on em

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well clearly you bankrupted them with yer birdy balls!

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

DesperateDan posted:

I want to add something important and thought provoking to my previous london trip report

after I got home my bogeys were all clean and fresh, whereas as a kid I distinctly remember mining coal out of there each time I went

Woke Sadiq's ulez, denying you your heritage

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DesperateDan posted:

I wanted an electric car and would have paid more for one but have the same issues- can't charge at home, local chargers are almost always out of service or occupied- they seem to get added to a car park, fail, then sit a few months before another is installed

this would actually be a loving blow, only place I can get bird balls semi-cheaply anymore since b&m got pricey on em

Did you avoid the Underground? The air down there is truly filthy and absolutely does coat your nostrils with soot.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mods were nappin on this thread for last 24 hours.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Mods were nappin on this thread for last 24 hours.

I guess it's the unfortunate downside of having a pretty loosely moderated and chill thread where regulars can tell each other to gently caress off or derail about electricity substations for 3 pages. Occasionally you'll get some drive-by trolling/racists

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess it's the unfortunate downside of having a pretty loosely moderated and chill thread where regulars can tell each other to gently caress off or derail about electricity substations for 3 pages. Occasionally you'll get some drive-by trolling/racists

Yeah there was the suicide stuff last night too which was incredibly uncomfortable

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tesseraction posted:

Well clearly you bankrupted them with yer birdy balls!

they didn't used to be price champs for that, it just kinda happened that bird balls don't take kindly to inflation

Pistol_Pete posted:

Did you avoid the Underground? The air down there is truly filthy and absolutely does coat your nostrils with soot.

from the parts I can remember, at least one underground stretch but probably not many more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
can't even stuff asylum seekers into a garbage scow like sardines without woke firefighter snowflakes moaning about 'fire hazards' and 'people burning to death', these days
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1687053897402048512