Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Housing as an investment has driven the entire landowner class completely, absolutely insane, and on the local level those people are God. Everyone from the mom and pop landlords to the real estate conglomerate CEOs has that same dead-eyed grin over the prospect of Number Go Up for all eternity, and are well past NIMBY into BANANA; Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone. The idea that houses exist for people to live in has been completely erased; they are only built in the western world as homes for money.

There's a lot that needs to be done and it'll need to be top-down, because literally everything about the system is designed to prevent affordable housing from being built. 'Neighbourhood character' and 'heritage' probably should be completely destroyed as concepts; all the actual historically significant buildings have already been demolished by companies 'by mistake', who receive no real consequences for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oracle posted:

Housing doesn't just mean freestanding single-family home, though. It also means townhomes, apartment buildings, duplexes, mother-in-law apartment in existing house etc.

NIMBYs are against all of them. They don't want 'those people' living nearby. Crime will go up. Traffic will get worse. Taxes will go up to cover more services and infrastructure use. Their kids might have to go to school with them and they'd be a 'bad influence.' It'll affect the 'character of the community.'

(Honestly if a lot of these areas would just put a ban on Air BnBs it'd help a LOT, but good luck).

I haven't seen a good number for how many dedicated AirBnBs there are. A lot of them are simply second homes/vacation homes that are listed for rental when the owners aren't using them. Realistically, you'd also need to find a solution to PE buying up entire neighborhoods all over the country, and spur a massive wave of new construction everywhere. New construction fell off a cliff for awhile after the 2008 mortgage crisis - but the population kept growing. Couple that with the fact that more people want to live in major cities due to job quality/availability, and it's a combination of many rural areas slowly dying (and leaving existing housing empty), cities not keeping up with needed new build housing (for the variety of reasons already discussed), and large numbers of homes simply being taken off the market.

There is no silver bullet for housing issues.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Oracle posted:

Its not just that; Wyoming is also a huge tax haven. See this article from 2021. (Trigger warning: you'll want to sharpen your guillotine)

I know, I'm from there :v:

It's why a bunch of celebrities have land out there, like Kanye.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghost Leviathan posted:

all the actual historically significant buildings have already been demolished by companies 'by mistake', who receive no real consequences for it.

i'll fight you on this one but i'm sure there are areas where it's a nimby thing not a historical thing

old buildings are rad, tall old buildings are even radder

half of buffalo's old industrial buildings are being redeveloped for whatever the hell, and while i'm aware there are major logistical challenges to turning them into housing specifically, i'd live in a condo in a creepy old factory or port warehouse or what have you in a second

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
in my current town we've got the old railway icehouse and at least one old grain silo being used for Good poo poo now or in the semi-near future

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Old industrial buildings have got to be probably the most brutally unsafe in every possible way

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

counterpoint: remediation work is solid, well-paying work for salt of the earth locals

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And it's insanely good for the environment, all that embodied carbon needs to be respected

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I lived in a converted warehouse condo for a few years in the Bay Area. Mostly because it’s all we could afford. I’m sure they are and can be converted well but ours wasn’t. The pipes were not set up for residential and that was occasionally bad. It was condemned maybe a month after we moved out when a homeless person set a door on fire and the authorities learned it was rented illegally, which they were sensitive about because the ghost ship fire tragedy was just a few weeks prior in the same neighborhood.

Anyways, that’s a lot to say I think warehouse converted housing is romanticized and sometimes it’s just better to tear it down and rebuild it as safe, up to code housing from the start.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/prageru/status/1686785748094345217?t=yvmz-rNcvx6SHnjEWO3klA&s=19

Man, I hope there's a big asterisk hidden somewhere at the end of that statement.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The cops aren't the only problem in Lousiville. I don't know how you reform this, it needs to be remade from the ground up like the justice system. Tossing folks to the curb like garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFJsFdgMkYE

Yes this is very illegal but it seems to be happening anyways.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The idea that houses exist for people to live in has been completely erased; they are only built in the western world as homes for money.
I was going to say, "not even the entire western world; not Germany" but it looks after the financial crisis they decided, "no, actually, we want to do this bullshit," and their market has been spiraling for ten years. (Prices over twice as high pre-pandemic as in 2013.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Limit the number of housing units a person or company can own to 3 and the problem is solved pretty much immediately.

I mean enacting that is politically impossible right now but there are solutions.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That would generate endless shell companies and straw holders being paid a pittance to sign their name to rights they have no control over.

I think things have just been too far gone for too long but I would go with massive massive wealth taxes

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

One solution might just be a company tax. If a company wants to buy a residential property they get a surcharge tax on the sale. Would level the playing field with actual individuals trying to buy a home. Not sure what that markup needs to be, 10% maybe? I’m sure we can figure something out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Ultimately, there's no quick-fix solution to the housing shortage. If anything, I think the most important change we need is cultural: the intense suspicion so many Americans seem to feel toward new housing, not just because of housing values but also because of extreme distrust of allowing new people into their communities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1687069531825426433

It's really funny how half the GOP candidate bench has been reduced to serial killers like this guy and Blake masters. Turns out that Americans inculcated since birth in the national civic religion do believe in the small-l lib brained things and recoil in horror at Nazi books bound in human skin.

It's also going to be really funny watch all these candidates literally fundraising off of how the guy who is crushing them in the primary and who is quite clearly guilty is actually very good and being treated very unfairly.

https://twitter.com/MrArenge/status/1686545949223489537

Main Paineframe posted:

because of extreme distrust of allowing new people into their communities.

Is there a single polity, civilization, or society in history or modernity in which this was not the case? I don't know if it's cultural so much as human nature.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i'll fight you on this one but i'm sure there are areas where it's a nimby thing not a historical thing

old buildings are rad, tall old buildings are even radder

half of buffalo's old industrial buildings are being redeveloped for whatever the hell, and while i'm aware there are major logistical challenges to turning them into housing specifically, i'd live in a condo in a creepy old factory or port warehouse or what have you in a second

I have good news.

https://www.buffalorising.com/2022/10/construction-watch-silo-city/

https://duendesilo.city/

They do a lot of art installations / performances there too.

https://www.justbuffalo.org/literary-events-in-buffalo/silo-city-reading-series/upcoming-silo-city-readings/

Here are some pictures I took at the Music is Art festival last year.

They aren't great pictures because it was very hot and I was very high on edibles

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 3, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Building new housing helps but allowing the same megacorps, overseas corporations, and already ultra wealthy to control them doesn’t. I live in CA and yes housing is finally being built but it’s all townhomes that they just rent out; almost nothing is built for private ownership. As long as that’s the case the problem isn’t going away, because those megacorps are going to act in their own self interest and support policies and politicians who will keep housing prices high. Homeowners will too to a degree but they actually do have some interests that extend past “more money more more more.” Sometimes anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's just going to take the China solution: "Silly rabbit, homes are for people to live in." Violently destroying the idea of housing as an investment, and those who complain being ignored or silenced as necessary.

If they can't do this, then we can't have a functioning society.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Violently destroying the idea of housing as an investment, and those who complain being ignored or silenced as necessary.

China almost and still might completely implode its economy over rampant real estate speculation?

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1687068112770985984

Honestly the best way to raise quick cash these days is running a presidential campaign as a grift.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s why everyone other than Trump and DeSantis are running in the GOP primary

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/tjortenzi/status/1687080872950816768?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

Not great! Not too long before we see perfectly healthy thirty year old senators in a conservatorship overseen by Jamie Dimon, I assume.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trump is running to both grift and self-pardon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IDK if Sinema has filed yet, but if she does it will also be for grifting purposes

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1687087620025651201

She doesn't seem terribly interested in being a senator in the first place so I wouldn't be surprised if she just decides she'd rather get a start on that gravy train she's been setting up the last six years rather than campaign and have to talk to people.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Well Plan A was to be a wildly popular maverick Senator from Arizona who can buck her own party. Then she'd run for President.

Plan B was to be enough of a spoiler that Dems wouldn't consider running against her for fear of losing her seat.

The issue is to make the mega millions as a lobbyist your colleagues need to like you and listen when you call them. She doesn't have that.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

selec posted:

https://twitter.com/tjortenzi/status/1687080872950816768?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

Not great! Not too long before we see perfectly healthy thirty year old senators in a conservatorship overseen by Jamie Dimon, I assume.

Maybe the average age of congress will drop eventually and there will be the will to pass some kind of age limits. It's like personal hubris is negatively affecting the transfer of power between generations and needs to be addressed. Just insane that sitting senator doesn't even have their own power of attorney. I can't imagine being 90 and still wanting to be alive, let alone work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know this comes up every time Feinstein does but I feel like many people haven't had to interact with a sundowning grandparent before. Right now she's making the votes needed and her staff is running the show (just like in pretty much every other office in congress) so really this is only a problem if you are personally concerned about Senator Feinstein's well being.

Liberals are going to wring their hands and fret no matter what but I don't really see anything that might indicate anything other than that the Grand Old Party is in dire loving straits

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1686763417271500800

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 3, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I came across this story saying that InBev seems to be riding out the Bud Light boycott better than expected. I thought you all might be interested.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/03/bud-light-owner-ab-inbev-beats-forecasts-despite-boycott.html

quote:

Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s biggest brewer, on Thursday smashed profit expectations during a quarter that saw a social media-driven boycott of its bestselling Bud Light beer in the U.S.

The Belgium-based Budweiser owner said its second-quarter revenue rose by 7.2% globally, as price hikes offset a 1.4% fall in volumes. The company said organic growth in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) was 5%, above a consensus forecast of 0.4%.

AB InBev also reiterated its full-year and medium-term profit outlook. Last month, the company announced hundreds of job cuts impacting various areas of the business.

AB InBev shares were 3.6% higher at 2:08 p.m. CEST (8:08 a.m. ET).

The Bud Light boycott was a response led by high-profile online personalities to the brand’s brief product placement with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney, who was sent a bottle of the beer to promote in a video at the start of April.

The partnership sparked one of the most talked-about marketing furors in recent years, with Bud Light in May losing its spot as the top-selling beer in the United States to Constellation Brands’ Modelo, as sales fell 25%. AB InBev’s U.S. revenues were down 10.5% in the second quarter, according to its results, as core profit fell 28.2%.

The company then faced criticism for failing to support Mulvaney in the wake of the controversy, which attracted political attention and led to the reported leave of absence of the marketing executive who oversaw the partnership.

Zak Stambor, senior analyst at Insider Intelligence, said AB InBev “managed to alienate both conservatives and progressives in one fell swoop” and noted the importance of marketing to a brand which is “not a markedly different product from other macrobrewed light lagers.”

In its earnings statement, AB InBev said research conducted on its behalf through a third-party firm showed 80% of 170,000 consumers surveyed were “favorable or neutral” toward the Bud Light brand.

The company did not specifically mention the Bud Light boycott.

The Thursday earnings highlight that the Bud Light declines meant AB InBev underperformed the industry in sales to retailers. In revenue terms, the drop was partially offset by the double-digit growth of its “mainstream portfolio” in South Africa and Colombia.

China was another area of strength, with regional volumes up by 11% in the second quarter.

Analysts at Royal Bank of Canada said they were “pleasantly surprised” by the results, but forecast an organic volume decline of 1.1% for the year, incorporating an assumption of no recovery in Bud Light.

I'm sure American corporations will continue to take the wrong lessons from this whole fiasco, but it'll interesting to see how long the blowback against InBev lasts.

nerox
May 20, 2001

gurragadon posted:

Maybe the average age of congress will drop eventually and there will be the will to pass some kind of age limits. It's like personal hubris is negatively affecting the transfer of power between generations and needs to be addressed. Just insane that sitting senator doesn't even have their own power of attorney. I can't imagine being 90 and still wanting to be alive, let alone work.

Feinstein needs to retire, however, that is a very click baity article.

A power of attorney is a voluntary document that is signed to allow another person to sign on your behalf for whatever the power of attorney is for. This does not take away any powers of the principal.

If you hear that someone has a Conservator, that is where they have been declared incompetent and someone else is put in charge of their affairs and the ward loses their ability to conduct business on their own behalf.

Elderly people should have a durable power of attorney, especially in the case of dementia, because that is way cheaper to set up then if you have to go through a conservatorship.

nerox fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 3, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

zoux posted:

I know this comes up every time Feinstein does but I feel like many people haven't had to interact with a sundowning grandparent before. Right now she's making the votes needed and her staff is running the show (just like in pretty much every other office in congress) so really this is only a problem if you are personally concerned about Senator Feinstein's well being.

I really disagree with that. Feinstein was elected by the people of California, not Feinstein's aids. She is simply incapable of doing the job, and the job is too important for one person to put themselves above it.

My grandmother is 102 years old and healthier than Feinstein; she can still walk around easily. But she has wanted to die for like 20 years because she recognizes her decline and she hates not being able to do what she used to do. She's not forcing herself onto everyone by doing her old job as a teacher like Feinstein is as a Senator. She recognizes that she is not the only one who can do the job, and that another person can do it better. I don't like Feinstein because she refuses to acknowledge her decline and is hurting the country by doing it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

zoux posted:

You're right about staffs running the show, but I think there's a big difference between an MC having meetings with their staffers, hashing things out, then voting of their own accord (that is to say, don't have to be handheld during the process) in committee, on the floor, etc., and having to be verbally instructed in committee, with God and everyone watching, how to vote because you don't have a clue what's going on around you. Especially at a time when trust in political institutions is so perilously low. Otherwise why even bother with the pretense of an elected legislature?

There is also the well-being dimension, too. It's a tricky situation to be sure, but I don't agree that she's operating like "pretty much every other office in Congress."

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

zoux posted:

Liberals are going to wring their hands and fret no matter what but I don't really see anything that might indicate anything other than that the Grand Old Party is in dire loving straits

So does 3 state GOPs not being in good financial health really mean the GOP overall is in "dire loving straits"? I mean if their main candidate for president (who literally has been indicted 3 times already for major crimes) wasn't currently polling neck to neck with the sitting president I might believe it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

So does 3 state GOPs not being in good financial health really mean the GOP overall is in "dire loving straits"? I mean if their main candidate for president (who literally has been indicted 3 times already for major crimes) wasn't currently polling neck to neck with the sitting president I might believe it.

Donald Trump is not neck and neck with Joe Biden.

gurragadon posted:

I really disagree with that. Feinstein was elected by the people of California, not Feinstein's aids. She is simply incapable of doing the job, and the job is too important for one person to put themselves above it.

She has decided she won't quit, there is no way to make her leave, unless you think there are sixty seven votes to remove Feinstein from office.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Sorta, the GOP is a bit more decentralized the the Democratic Party. GOP loves self funded millionaires and PACs (funded by billionaires) to push their candidates, they don't rely on party apparatus as much as the Democratic party.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Charliegrs posted:

The problem for the GOP is that Trump is a wrecking ball. He's perfectly happy to burn the party to the ground if its to his personal advantage, and in a lot of ways he kinda has.

Which is not to say the GOP can't recover. It can. It's just not in a good place right now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

nerox posted:

Feinstein needs to retire, however, that is a very click baity article.

A power of attorney is a voluntary document that is signed to allow another person to sign on your behalf for whatever the power of attorney is for. This does not take away any powers of the principal.

If you hear that someone has a Conservator, that is where they have been declared incompetent and someone else is put in charge of their affairs and the ward loses their ability to conduct business on their own behalf.

Elderly people should have a durable power of attorney, especially in the case of dementia, because that is way cheaper to set up then if you have to go through a conservatorship.

Yeah there's some misrepresentation there about power of attorney. I gave my mom PoA while I was in Afghanistan because I had other things to pay attention to than a cell phone payment being late or some poo poo. My wife and I have them for each other right now for health stuff so there's no problems if I get hit by a bus and become a vegetable.

Just make sure you really trust the person you're giving them to.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

zoux posted:

Actual ethics and humanity aside, since apparently that's the discussion, I shouldn't care that some unknown person is pulling the strings for one of my senators because at this moment they're voting the way I'd like?

That seems like asking for serious trouble.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Feinstein situation has been beyond parody for a long time now and any attempt to downplay it at this point is downright sad. You should be panicking.

zoux posted:

China almost and still might completely implode its economy over rampant real estate speculation?

Just like China's economy has been about to implode any day now for the last 20 years plus, according to American journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

zoux posted:

Donald Trump is not neck and neck with Joe Biden.

I mean you can argue methodology however you want and I probably wouldn't disagree, but every poll from July 24th to the 30th on 538's poll tracker says they are.

Biden + 3, Morning Consult https://pro.morningconsult.com/trackers/2024-gop-primary-election-tracker
Biden +1, Echelon Insights https://echelonin.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/July-2023-Omnibus-Topline-EXTERNAL.pdf
Even, NYT/Siena College https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/01/us/politics/biden-trump-poll.html
Even, Big Village https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.big-village.com/big-village/2023/07/Big-Village-Political-Poll-07.26.23.pdf
Trump +4, Premise https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/20230726_US_Premise.pdf
Biden +4 Yougov https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/pvpz4fi6ym/econTabReport.pdf
Even, Public Opinion Strategies https://citizenawarenessproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/232034-Arizona-Statewide-Interview-Schedule.pdf
Trump +4 HarrisX https://themessenger.com/politics/trump-edges-ahead-of-biden-in-new-poll-exclusive
Trump +2 McLaughlin & rear end. https://mclaughlinonline.com/pols/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/National-July-Presentation-RELEASE-07-24-23.pdf