Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bluemillion posted:

Oh it's this guy. Did his escape plan involve a santa suit and a sled pulled by a dog with a fake antler?

he tried to go through a hole covered by a poster of rita hayworth

probably should have used a hole covered by a poster of Kevin James

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Willo567 posted:

Have we actually seen any indications that Ukraine is preparing a mass scale attack on Moscow, or is it just speculative for now?

my uncle works at Ukrendo and they are giving them the superscope

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

my uncle works at Ukrendo and they are giving them the superscope

That's Russia's greatest fear; Dennis Hopper already used it on Putin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd-h8q-C58k&t=14s

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Toxic Mental posted:

Propagandhi basically made entire albums in the 2000s about how much The US MILCOM + Iraq War + GWB sucked, and yet they are still Ukraine supporters in 2023. Almost like there's more nuance to things than just "America BAD".

Yeah, it's a relief to know that most punks are still not fans of murder (unless they're Ben Weasel, but that's another story) or fascism, no matter the source.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Propagandhi basically made entire albums in the 2000s about how much The US MILCOM + Iraq War + GWB sucked,

i mean 90% of this thread can tell you that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/BadBalticTakes/status/1686835018310504449?t=XUUS6Tm0hLcg7Pq5SePdJg&s=19

Kinda insane that his nordstream story broke national news here and was prominently reported by most major media companies. The man's brain is just mush. There is nothing going on upstairs anymore

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Maybe they meant waifu.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Someone get her an account and point her in the right direction

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

on several of the Hersh articles, some of the source quotes have just sounded off in English. this is just the most clear cut and obvious one

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

on several of the Hersh articles, some of the source quotes have just sounded off in English. this is just the most clear cut and obvious one

I wonder if it's some prankster trolling Hersh by feeding him increasingly outrageous poo poo to see how long they can keep going, and not even the FSB

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah, I've read previous articles and it just didn't quite seem right. I thought I was just reading the articles from a biased point of view so ignored myself and didn't bother to joke about it when I posted a couple of times with links to the older articles.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/BadBalticTakes/status/1686835018310504449?t=XUUS6Tm0hLcg7Pq5SePdJg&s=19

Kinda insane that his nordstream story broke national news here and was prominently reported by most major media companies. The man's brain is just mush. There is nothing going on upstairs anymore

I've been trying to figure out an English expression that has an approximately similar evocative meaning as that for quite a few days now, as an exercise, but am coming up short.

"Poor little lamb" is close, but isn't derisive enough.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

Someone get her an account and point her in the right direction

TCC may do your bidding for a hit of krokodil but

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
In Dutch there is a phrase 'in je onderbroek gezet worden' which translates as ' to be put in your underwear', aka to be humiliated by something or someone. It's also a change from the more polite 'in je hemd gezet worden' which translates as 'to be put in your undershirt'. For a hot second I thought it might be poorly translated Dutch. However, the 'poor waif in his underwear' isn't used in the same way since it isn't an effect of an action but a qualification, so it probably isn't poorly translated Dutch. If I were a betting man the money would be on a russian idiom.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The Russian idiom means to maliciously play the victim, right? Would crocodile tears fit?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hersh's transcript "betweeen a security adviser and an active US American soldier on duty on a key operational base about the events in Khan Sheikhoun" was a classic in terms Hersh of obviously being duped:

quote:

American Soldier: We got a fuckin‘ problem

Security-Adviser: What happened? Is it the Trump ignoring the Intel and going to try to hit the Syrians? And that we’re pissing on the Russians?

AS: This is bad...Things are spooling up.

SA: You may not have seen trumps press conference yesterday. He's bought into the media story without asking to see the Intel. We are likely to get our asses kicked by the Russians. loving dangerous. Where are the godamn adults? The failure of the chain of command to tell the President the truth, whether he wants to hear it or not, will go down in history as one of our worst moments.

AS: I don't know. None of this makes any sense. We KNOW that there was no chemical attack. The Syrians struck a weapons cache (a legitimate military target) and there was collateral damage. That's it. They did not conduct any sort of a chemical attack.

AS: And now we’re shoving a poo poo load of TLAMs (tomahawks) up their rear end.

SA: There has been a hidden agenda all along. This is about trying to ultimately go after Iran. What the people around Trump do not understand is that the Russians are not a paper tiger and that they have more robust military capability than we do.

AS: I don't know what the Russians are going to do. They might hang back and let the Syrians defend their own borders, or they might provide some sort of tepid support, or they might blow us the gently caress out of the airspace and back into Iraq. I honestly don't know what to expect right now. I feel like anything is possible. The russian air defense system is capable of taking out our TLAMs. this is a big loving deal...we are still all systems go...

SA: You are so right. Russia is not going to take this lying down

SA: Who is pushing this? Is it coming from Votel (General Joseph L. Votel, Commander of United States Central Command, editor‘s note) ?

AS: I don't know. It's from someone big though. . . . This is a big loving deal.

AS: It has to be POTUS.

AS: They [the russians] are weighing their options. Indications are they are going to be passive supporters of syria and not engage their systems unless their own assets are threatened..in other words, the sky is loving blue.'

It continues here: https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article165905618/We-got-a-fuckin-problem.html

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Seymour Hersh has been left a poor waif in his underwear by his handlers

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have spoken to the most star general at the pentagon and he said we are running out of weapons to send and what we do have is "aging like old crone ballerina at the Bolshoi theater! Urethra dandruff!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

boofhead posted:

The Russian idiom means to maliciously play the victim, right? Would crocodile tears fit?

every Russian speaker: "Unfortunately Russian is far too complex and layered to be translated in such simplistic English terms"

*throws flaming boot at sochi dogs* "BITCH WHORE"

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

boofhead posted:

I'm not a native speaker, but the image it evokes is someone poor, innocent, victimized/taken advantage of and powerless to do anything about it.

I originally thought it was related to a Russian propaganda thing from 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucified_boy, but I've seen it also translated as "Сиротушка в трусиках" in Twitter comments, so it could be an actual idiom.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Alan Smithee posted:

I have spoken to the most star general at the pentagon and he said we are running out of weapons to send and what we do have is "aging like old crone ballerina at the Bolshoi theater! Urethra dandruff!"

Hersh's source from the Pentagon constantly uses term khokhol, it's probably some secret jargon used among the most senior US officers :iiam:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1687097592638001153#m

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Content warning, be advised before clicking. HIMARS hit a large gathering of Russian soldiers on a beach in the occupied Kherson region. There’s a video that will play if you go to the article.

Here’s a description of the incident without the video:

Go home Russia…

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

weg edit - link removed

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 3, 2023

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

a podcast for cats posted:

I've been trying to figure out an English expression that has an approximately similar evocative meaning as that for quite a few days now, as an exercise, but am coming up short.

It would just be everything John Goodman says during the "Were you listening to the dude's story?" scene.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NatalkaKyiv/status/1686896629767454720
Russky Mir and the famous Puccian soul that nobody supposedly understands in action.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
Welp, looks like the brain drain has been very thorough.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zone posted:

Russky Mir and the famous Puccian soul that nobody supposedly understands in action.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Doesn't really matter who translates it, Russian translated to English ALWAYS sounds like space aliens trying to talk like humans.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

a podcast for cats posted:

“wolf in sheep’s clothing” sounds about right.

That HIMARS strike is going to be used as all kinds of justification for retaliation and saber rattling.

It sucks, they should have gotten the gently caress out of Ukraine.

Putin is a huge piece of poo poo, all of their deaths and the deaths of all other Russians and especially Ukrainians is blood on his hands and the hands of all the other war criminals who carry out his orders.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Prettz posted:

Doesn't really matter who translates it, Russian translated to English ALWAYS sounds like space aliens trying to talk like humans.

new report citing CIA sources state that "Shaka, When the Walls Fell" proving America blew up Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant in 2 weeks

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

zone posted:

Where the gently caress does this seemingly endemic racism/cruelty come from? This is equivalent to the vilest poo poo I hear about Mexicans/Black folks as a US citizen by the worst people imaginable. It isn't socially acceptable anywhere. Actually voicing it makes you instantly a pariah.
Is this a common Russian sentiment? How much Russian chauvanism is endemic?
How the gently caress do you fix this?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

OPAONI posted:

Where the gently caress does this seemingly endemic racism/cruelty come from? This is equivalent to the vilest poo poo I hear about Mexicans/Black folks as a US citizen by the worst people imaginable. It isn't socially acceptable anywhere. Actually voicing it makes you instantly a pariah.

What happened to Nazi Germany after World War II sounds like a good option, if it were even theoretically possible. So for all intents and purposes, I don't think it can be fixed except trying to help out the Russians that didn't end up like this by giving them the opportunity to form new lives elsewhere.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
That's pretty tame actually for how I've personally seen average Russians (in Petersburg even) talk about Georgia and the Caucasus/Central Asia republics. Only one death theat is mild annoyance on that scale

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1686789267027095557#m
He's probably done for. Can't say as i'm surprised this is how it might go down.

bye littlefinger. have fun in gulag and probably in a pit.

:nsfw: movie violence

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 3, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
My fundraising drive just concluded and we sent off a shipment of 500 tourniquets in this order! Our next drive will be focused on ballistic armor plates and carriers. Slava and have a tacticat!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

OPAONI posted:

It isn't socially acceptable anywhere. Actually voicing it makes you instantly a pariah.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Modern camouflage is strange. :catstare:

edit: Congrats on the medical supplies. :thumbsup:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

OPAONI posted:

lol they use the N word on state media soooo

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

Modern camouflage is strange. :catstare:

edit: Congrats on the medical supplies. :thumbsup:

Thanks! This is our 10th delivery in total. We try to do one about every 1.5-2 months or as funds come in. It's been getting harder lately because of Elon's twitter fuckery, but we are still doing what we can. To date we've sent a box of 1,000 sterile packed bandages, 500 tourniquets, 200 packs of quik-clot, 325 moleskine footwraps to help with blistering from breaking in new combat boots, 55 helmets (these things are hella expensive), and six metal detectors to check for mines. We aren't a big enough group to do any of the big crowdfunding for things like vehicles and specialized equipment (NVGs, etc) but even if we were that would just mean more medical supplies tbh. I don't talk about it much in here because it attracts psychos of the tankie persuasion but I've been doing this kind of volunteer work since the war started (last time I talked about it I got called a bloodlusting freak :lmao: )

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

HonorableTB posted:

Thanks! This is our 10th delivery in total. We try to do one about every 1.5-2 months or as funds come in. It's been getting harder lately because of Elon's twitter fuckery, but we are still doing what we can. To date we've sent a box of 1,000 sterile packed bandages, 500 tourniquets, 200 packs of quik-clot, 325 moleskine footwraps to help with blistering from breaking in new combat boots, 55 helmets (these things are hella expensive), and six metal detectors to check for mines. We aren't a big enough group to do any of the big crowdfunding for things like vehicles and specialized equipment (NVGs, etc) but even if we were that would just mean more medical supplies tbh. I don't talk about it much in here because it attracts psychos of the tankie persuasion but I've been doing this kind of volunteer work since the war started (last time I talked about it I got called a bloodlusting freak :lmao: )

can you pm a link to your fundraiser if you're not comfortable talking about it?