Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is this guy on a bike himself chasing the skater? I have heard barentsen's name before but it just seems so smooth... and also incredibly dangerous even for him

hang on I read a few more posts: dang. Honestly being on high end blades is a sick way to get around NYC if you're in shape, it gives you way more control than a bike and the speed difference to me wouldn't be a huge impediment.

what would be an impediment is the condition of the pavement eating you alive, even more so than on a bike lol

lol i just 20 min ago bruised a rib biffing it to some rocks flying under me near some road construction, and the majority of my biffs are literal garbage in the road or mta pushing reds/bike lanes. i can usually handle going around a lovely car fine but a bus can go wide enough to take a whole road or drive me straight into another lane so ill eat gravel over bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking about going for a bike ride today...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's probably my conceptions being off but I just feel like being closer to the street and directly connected via your skates is way more controllable and minimizes reaction times etc.

I should have been a Blade Bro when I lived uptown. they even had those new bike lanes on second, I bet the delivery guys would let you skitch a few blocks

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

mystes posted:

Having people turn through the bike lane is also bad though

They need to protect the intersection and have separate signals for bikes like they do in the netherlands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlApbxLz6pA

Is this for stop signs only? How do they deal with people going right on red?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is this guy on a bike himself chasing the skater? I have heard barentsen's name before but it just seems so smooth... and also incredibly dangerous even for him

hang on I read a few more posts: dang. Honestly being on high end blades is a sick way to get around NYC if you're in shape, it gives you way more control than a bike and the speed difference to me wouldn't be a huge impediment.

what would be an impediment is the condition of the pavement eating you alive, even more so than on a bike lol

when he dodged between a couple of pedestrians I had a 20 year old memory pop up of going between two people and someone else hurrying around from behind one of them and having a gigantic collision

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Aug 3, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

trevorreznik posted:

you dont allow right on red

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the city has tossed up NO RIGHT ON RED signs at a ton of intersections within a half mile of the downtown core and its really pissing folks off who want to go right on red.

I'm just sitting there like "the sign says not to sorry".

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the city has tossed up NO RIGHT ON RED signs at a ton of intersections within a half mile of the downtown core and its really pissing folks off who want to go right on red.

I'm just sitting there like "the sign says not to sorry".

people just ignore that poo poo around here

more than once I've had people drive around me into opposing traffic to take the right on red here when I wouldn't

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
no right on red?
NO! turn right on red!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
there’s a few intersections on my commute that have a giant “No turn on red” sign that lights up when the bike lane has a green light. I still have to look over my left shoulder before going because of the number of people who don’t even stop before turning right while that sign is on. Right hand hooked and doored are my 2 biggest fears while biking, I will get behind cars instead of along side them at certain intersections just to avoid getting right hand hooked.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eXXon posted:

Anyway that stuttering skater guy claims to have picked up rollerblading 3 odd years ago (what happened then?) and is insanely slick
He obviously played hockey before that and is being misleading with with saying he only started rollerblading at the beginning of the pandemic. Here, I searched and found a source to confirm it but it's blindingly obvious.

trevorreznik posted:

They forbid right on red and have turn arrows everywhere so the can have specific right turn phases in the cycle rather than murdering cyclists/pedestrians to save a few bucks on their traffic signals (because their signals are smarter this doesn't even really slow down cars, it just requires having slightly better traffic signals)

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Aug 3, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
no right on red at weird as gently caress intersections (5-ways, strange angular crossings) makes sense and it's wild that people would make their own rules there.

no right on red at regular intersections is the smallest bone thrown to pedestrians who often have to stare down cars inching toward them as they try to get across (often in a wheel chair or with all of their belongings with them).

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

raggedphoto posted:

I will get behind cars instead of along side them at certain intersections just to avoid getting right hand hooked.

Everyone should do this. Most cyclists are killed in the US by motorists squishing them as they turn right without looking

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

no right on red at weird as gently caress intersections (5-ways, strange angular crossings) makes sense and it's wild that people would make their own rules there.

no right on red at regular intersections is the smallest bone thrown to pedestrians who often have to stare down cars inching toward them as they try to get across (often in a wheel chair or with all of their belongings with them).

People run the straight red light all the time by pulling up to the left light and turning right on red. It's the wild west out here

mystes
May 31, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

there’s a few intersections on my commute that have a giant “No turn on red” sign that lights up when the bike lane has a green light. I still have to look over my left shoulder before going because of the number of people who don’t even stop before turning right while that sign is on. Right hand hooked and doored are my 2 biggest fears while biking, I will get behind cars instead of along side them at certain intersections just to avoid getting right hand hooked.
yeah absolutely. being right hooked is one of the easiest way to get hit by a car while biking

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

there's a super unique 5-way intersection near me and last week I saw an old dude crossing at one of the corners.

as I got closer I noticed his bright blue shirt said:

ALWAYS
BE
CROSSING

and THEN I realized the graphic on his shirt was an overhead view of the intersection he was standing at with the pedestrian paths shown.

dude blew my drat mind.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
https://www.cp24.com/news/city-investigating-conduct-of-employee-who-pushed-protester-with-car-at-high-park-1.6505379

Counter-protester: cars in High Park are dangerous
Driver: no they aren't and I will drive my car into you to prove it

Bonus points for the driver being a city employee

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

there's a super unique 5-way intersection near me and last week I saw an old dude crossing at one of the corners.

as I got closer I noticed his bright blue shirt said:

ALWAYS
BE
CROSSING

and THEN I realized the graphic on his shirt was an overhead view of the intersection he was standing at with the pedestrian paths shown.

dude blew my drat mind.

What a loving legend!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

raggedphoto posted:

You have to stare at their front wheel and react instantly if it starts to move toward you. It sucks

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Ensign Expendable posted:

https://www.cp24.com/news/city-investigating-conduct-of-employee-who-pushed-protester-with-car-at-high-park-1.6505379

Death to all drivers.

We have a cool massive intersection downtown of two left turn lanes with a green left turn arrow that lights up at the same time the walk signal gives you the go ahead to take your life into your loving hands

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mauser posted:

Death to all drivers.

We have a cool massive intersection downtown of two left then lanes with a green left turn arrow that lights up at the same time the walk signal gives you the go ahead to take your life into your loving hands

i think it was in WI where i read an old law that any jaywalker would only have to give a car ‘a sporting chance’ of stopping to have right of way

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

one thing Seattle did in the last year is time the pedestrian crossing signal so that it activates two seconds before the car signal turns green.

this gives pedestrians a chance to get started crossing and keeps right turners at bay.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
That's something Montreal has been doing for a while now:
-No right turn on red in the city, no exceptions.
-90%+ of intersections have the pedestrian walk signal turn on by itself, no need to push a button
-Pedestrians are given a head start of 3 seconds before the light turns green to cars.

Sometimes there's even a white light that gives buses a headstart.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Don Pigeon posted:

-90%+ of intersections have the pedestrian walk signal turn on by itself, no need to push a button
-Pedestrians are given a head start of 3 seconds before the light turns green to cars.

lol Americans would start bombing poo poo if we implemented any of that here

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah like the fucker with US plates who almost creamed me turning on red (and then went my exact speed the whole way up the road because the lights are synchronized for cyclist speeds on some Montreal roads, so that I could yell at him for a solid 15min)

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

one thing Seattle did in the last year is time the pedestrian crossing signal so that it activates two seconds before the car signal turns green.

this gives pedestrians a chance to get started crossing and keeps right turners at bay.

i've started to see drivers catching on to this so they'll start inching into crosswalks when they see the crossing signal go active. same with the bike lights at certain intersections

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah and they also use the pedestrian countdown timer as a "speed up it's about to turn yellow!" indicator.

what can you do though

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Machine gun turrets at every intersection that swivel around to follow the red light signals

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Don Pigeon posted:

Denver has started doing some of this as well, the lightpoles in the downtown core don't even have buttons - the lights give Walk signals with every cycle. Fun fact, the Pedestrian Scramble originated in Denver!

We still have RTOR but our new mayor has expressed support for abolishing it, here's hoping!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'd never heard of this guy before and genuinely thought the video was taken by a drone until he mentioned a bike

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Mauser posted:

Machine gun turrets at every intersection that swivel around to follow the red light signals

I love this, but I've always loved the idea of auto-bollards that are synced with the lights.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

sim posted:

I love this, but I've always loved the idea of auto-bollards that are synced with the lights.

They took a two way street here and turned it into one way plus a bike lane protected by those deflector things and within a week some rear end in a top hat drove three blocks up the street in a truck knocking the deflectors over. I wonder what Americans would do if bollards were installed. probably terrorism.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This happened eight years ago and people are still incredibly pissed about it

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
carbrain triple post

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ensign Expendable posted:

I want to see this loving coward's name made public.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah and they also use the pedestrian countdown timer as a "speed up it's about to turn yellow!" indicator.

what can you do though

Retractable bollards obviously.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

carbrain triple post

hosed up that this is viewed as a problem instead of a solution

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Right turns on red have been illegal in New York City since forever.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Clark Nova posted:

hosed up that this is viewed as a problem instead of a solution

Sewage: the solution to cleaning up our streets.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

somehow I don't think anyone in his videos has actually ever hurt a pedestrian and so while in theory it's obviously not safe
I don't think I've seen serious injuries to peds but his alleycat vids regularly have riders either hit or only miss peds because they ducked outta the way.
Same for that other rear end in a top hat who keeps wooshing by peds and trying to startle them.

Peds are to you what you are to cars, act loving accordingly goddamn

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why does this look so uncanny?
He wears a gimbal on his helmet.

Grassy Knowles posted:

lol i just 20 min ago bruised a rib biffing it to some rocks flying under me near some road construction, and the majority of my biffs are literal garbage in the road

both of my injuries were to gravel left on the lane by constructions and hidden by something else (one time variable tree shade, the other wet ground).

crews are usually quite receptive to me telling them it's dangerous, it mostly just doesn't occur to them.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Aug 3, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

"how dare you almost get hit by me"

You made me use the stop sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

trevorreznik posted:

How do they deal with people going right on red?

lmfao