Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God that reminds me of how in elementary school while one of my parents was in the hospital and the other was working overtime I had to go to a babysitter after school for a while, the type who would take care of like a dozen kids in her own house, but she'd timed poo poo so all the literal babies were napping right as all the elementary school children were arriving after school let out, so our routine was that we had to arrive and immediately sit silently while we were subjected to VHS schlock like Casper Meets Wendy

hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Killingyouguy! posted:

God that reminds me of how in elementary school while one of my parents was in the hospital and the other was working overtime I had to go to a babysitter after school for a while, the type who would take care of like a dozen kids in her own house, but she'd timed poo poo so all the literal babies were napping right as all the elementary school children were arriving after school let out, so our routine was that we had to arrive and immediately sit silently while we were subjected to VHS schlock like Casper Meets Wendy

hell

Yep, sounds exactly what my mom used to do. That was my home :shepface: it's, uh, probably why I'm not super in to the idea of having kids of my own

Ok Comboomer posted:

Little Bear was so vibes, holy poo poo

It really is! I got some of the books for my niece, along with Frog And Toad. She loves Frog and Toad :kimchi:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fuuuuuck the desire to get into a time machine and buy up all these

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ok Comboomer posted:

my sister is 3.5 yrs younger than me, so I watched a lot of Nick Jr and Playhouse Disney that I was technically too old for

Probably why I grew up liking + appreciating cartoons so much (going to a liberal arts college was my compromise with my parents on not going to capital-A Art school)

Little Bear was so vibes, holy poo poo

yeah little bear was chill as hell. easy to see the sendak influence looking back. we were talking about it somewhere else too I think, probably the gbs thread where some FUCKO was poo poo talking david the gnome

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yoau've got a time machine, you can just steal them

e: poo poo, double post

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Milo and POTUS posted:

yeah little bear was chill as hell. easy to see the sendak influence looking back. we were talking about it somewhere else too I think, probably the gbs thread where some FUCKO was poo poo talking david the gnome

I’m not sure what age I was when I saw the last episode of David the Gnome but I wasn’t old enough.

I’m still not.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’m not sure what age I was when I saw the last episode of David the Gnome but I wasn’t old enough.

I’m still not.

that was the real first prestige tv

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please tell me the motherfucker ate a perma for that poo poo.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Little Bear and Rupert were both my poo poo growing up but hoooolllyyyy poo poo looking back was Rupert ever that special brand of whimsical British racism

Don Karnage
Oct 9, 2016

Killingyouguy! posted:

Little Bear and Rupert were both my poo poo growing up but hoooolllyyyy poo poo looking back was Rupert ever that special brand of whimsical British racism

Yeah, the "magical racism" was definitely something I missed watching Rupert as a child. The show popped up on Kanopy recently and I did not remember that the Pekingese dog with the magic elevator to China was named "Pong Ping." Yikes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wish the Nintendo store wasn’t permanently out if the Switch 64 controller because honestly that’s the only way to play a 64 game. All the other controllers are dogshit or non-functional.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Don Karnage posted:

Yeah, the "magical racism" was definitely something I missed watching Rupert as a child. The show popped up on Kanopy recently and I did not remember that the Pekingese dog with the magic elevator to China was named "Pong Ping." Yikes.

There's an episode where Pong Ping hangs out with the emperor of China and they recite paragraph-long honorifics for each other
It's bad

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Summer 1998 was 25 years ago. The recent summer hullabaloo around Barbie and Opp is something I haven't really seen since I was a kid. Or at least it feels that way to me.

I remember summers in the 90's just having blockbuster after blockbuster lined up. Back then it felt as though I went to the movies 10 times to see pretty much everything.

Some of these have aged terribly but look how stacked poo poo was: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls020684817/

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Just got randomly reminded that this existed, it fits nicely in that late 80s/early 90s change in styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXl-PxM2cJA

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Beastie posted:

Summer 1998 was 25 years ago. The recent summer hullabaloo around Barbie and Opp is something I haven't really seen since I was a kid. Or at least it feels that way to me.

I remember summers in the 90's just having blockbuster after blockbuster lined up. Back then it felt as though I went to the movies 10 times to see pretty much everything.

Some of these have aged terribly but look how stacked poo poo was: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls020684817/

That reminds me of, I think it was Todd in the Shadows, mentioning how there's no longer summer jams/songs. At least not the way they used to be. He pointed out that the big songs of the summer a few years in a row were sappy, break up songs and not fun party songs which is normally what a summer song is. You hear it everywhere because its upbeat and fun and people in the summer want to listen to that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What was the last big summer jam/song? Last one I can remember was...Get Lucky? Surely there was another after that?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Running Up That Hill got pretty big a couple years ago after the Stranger Things season.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Vandar posted:

What was the last big summer jam/song? Last one I can remember was...Get Lucky? Surely there was another after that?

P[uff(y)] D(a)iddy’s kid tried https://youtu.be/rgHuXABJ_Ac

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/0Hwci7KSnhA

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Vandar posted:

The two or three singles off of Calvin Harris' Funk Wave Bounces spring to mind. Slide, Feels, etc.
Maybe The Middle by Zed?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
kpop does summer jams still. maybe one of the reasons why it's so popular 🤔

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dialhforhero posted:

Running Up That Hill got pretty big a couple years ago after the Stranger Things season.

you just made me double check the calendar, thankfully it was just last summer

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Summer Jam has always been a contemporary song. The last I can remember were the already mentioned Get Lucky, perhaps some Carly Rae Jepsom song. And that was 10 years ago at least.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think there are still summer songs and we're all just old farts not plugged in enough with pop music to know it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

we're all just old farts not plugged in enough with pop music to know it.

No doubt. I've been telling friends that I must be getting old because I fully embrace the "elder" Millennial label and don't even give a poo poo.

Once you get to the point where you're out of touch with youth culture and no longer give a gently caress, you're old.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No doubt. I've been telling friends that I must be getting old because I fully embrace the "elder" Millennial label and don't even give a poo poo.

Once you get to the point where you're out of touch with youth culture and no longer give a gently caress, you're free.

It's shocking how liberating it is to stop giving a gently caress about all the stupid new bullshit and just focus on what's important: giving a gently caress about all the stupid old bullshit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Once you get to the point where you're out of touch with youth culture and no longer give a gently caress, you're old.

it's like walking on a cloud.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m just Ken is the bop of the summer

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is the last official summer jam.

https://youtu.be/Oai1V7kaFBk

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I can’t remember if I posted these already but:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:hmmyes: This is also how Mastodon works.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Lol the map software's creepy rear end line "Locate an old flame!"

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Dad I hit a home run tonight to win the game. Call me later.

gently caress they had a target demo for this poo poo.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
YOYO absolutely did not stand the test of time. I have never seen anyone use that acronym in all my time online, to my knowledge

I had Encarta for Windows 98. Dad got a computer for work so no games allowed (although he quickly broke that rule on his own) so I'd spend hours on Encarta just loving around

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Aug 3, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

YOYO absolutely did not stand the teet of time. I have never seen anyone use that acronym in all my time online, to my knowledge

agreed, but I also figured out what it meant pretty much immediately, which is a testament to how much internetspeak has rewired our brains and affected our relationship with language

Happy Landfill posted:

I had Encarta for Windows 98. Dad got a computer for work so no games allowed (although he quickly broke that rule on his own) so I'd spend hours on Encarta just loving around

dude loving MindMaze

that was the poo poo. I remember racing through computer literacy class (ie “information processing”) assignments in elementary/middle school to play mindmaze

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

agreed, but I also figured out what it meant pretty much immediately, which is a testament to how much internetspeak has rewired our brains and affected our relationship with language

I remember all these things coming fairly easily when hearing/seeing them in the 90s as well, brains are good at figuring out small puzzles regardless of conditioning i think here. Like cockney.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmMQfTJ3gYk

Who else had to learn how to dance to this song in elementary and/or middle school P.E?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Nope, just square dancing. Thanks, Henry Ford, for being terrified of that Jewish menace, jazz music. You jerk.