Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I'm probably the only person left on the entire forums who likes Gal Gadot but keeping old DCEU actors around for your new DCEU is a crazy laughable mistake. Like. It probably won't end up happening, but also, considering DC, it's entirely possible it ends up happening.

I'm actually curious about what you felt worked for you with Gal Gadot Wonder Woman. I think she looks really similar to a version of Diana, and that's cool, but her acting always felt very wooden and low effort. I guess her action physicality is okay? Idk, she's no Charlize Theron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Recast Wonder Woman with Katy M. O'Brian IMO

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Half assing the reboot and just making everything more confusing is DC af

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hulk Smash! posted:

Works for me

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm actually curious about what you felt worked for you with Gal Gadot Wonder Woman. I think she looks really similar to a version of Diana, and that's cool, but her acting always felt very wooden and low effort. I guess her action physicality is okay? Idk, she's no Charlize Theron.
Imo what people generally see as her being wooden is almost entirely due to English being her, like, third or fourth language. She can't really carry a monologue, but almost every real interaction between her and another strong actor, like Chris Pine, ends up quite effective whether it's going for comedy or drama. The no man's land sequence, for instance, doesn't just work because it was shot well or something, Gadot really sold the frustration and desperation leading into determination. Other scenes come to mind as well, like her interactions with Steve's team, or even in WW1984 with Kristen Wiig.
v:buddy:v

(Again, not saying that I wouldn't be 100% okay with having a new Diana and wouldn't find it the absolute preferable idea right now)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 3, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

All I know is her character did something morally reprehensible in the second movie and I thus have no desire to see this version of the character ever again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Every single DC movie forever and probably Secret Wars will feature a Gal Gadot cameo blaring Ṯ̵̩̀͐͌h̴̹͎̝̾e̸͈̬͓͖̼͒̉̆̀͝ ̴̠͍̹́̇̔̎Ṫ̷͚̜̼͈̉̀̂͛h̷̼͒̋͋e̵̜͍͆͑͘m̴̛̰̱̟̳̖̊̎̔̄ẻ̸͇͉̥̒̑̊

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BrianWilly posted:

Every single DC movie forever and probably Secret Wars will feature a Gal Gadot cameo blaring Ṯ̵̩̀͐͌h̴̹͎̝̾e̸͈̬͓͖̼͒̉̆̀͝ ̴̠͍̹́̇̔̎Ṫ̷͚̜̼͈̉̀̂͛h̷̼͒̋͋e̵̜͍͆͑͘m̴̛̰̱̟̳̖̊̎̔̄ẻ̸͇͉̥̒̑̊

Just have to hope Spider-Man 2099 appears in the same scene to drown it out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That theme is such a millstone around the character's neck

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's so funny that her cameos in Shazam 2 and The Flash were functionally identical, with the same loving musical sting, because it means absolutely everyone through the webs of production -- directors, writers, producers, composers, editors, on and on -- thought this would be a good idea instead of being incredibly hackneyed, or else they weren't even paying enough attention to notice it, or else they did and just didn't care.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

It's so funny that her cameos in Shazam 2 and The Flash were functionally identical, with the same loving musical sting, because it means absolutely everyone through the webs of production -- directors, writers, producers, composers, editors, on and on -- thought this would be a good idea instead of being incredibly hackneyed, or else they weren't even paying enough attention to notice it, or else they did and just didn't care.

And the audiences generally loved it both times, so

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What audiences?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

That theme is such a millstone around the character's neck

My problem with it is that it kind of sucks as her character theme. It debuts during a sequence where Doomsday is smashing the poo poo out of stuff and the discordant theme really fits *that specific scene* and is arguably as much a Doomsday Fighting Theme as anything else. It didn't even occur to me when watching BvS that it was supposed to be her theme as opposed to "the badass theme that starts when Wonder Woman joins the fray."

It just doesn't really communicate anything about the character or feel like it really fits who she is outside of that one, specific, exact scene.

maybealabia posted:

I think you need to pull out something more than "but the audiences loved it" for two of the lowest performing superhero movies of all time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

My problem with it is that it kind of sucks as her character theme. It debuts during a sequence where Doomsday is smashing the poo poo out of stuff and the discordant theme really fits *that specific scene* and is arguably as much a Doomsday Fighting Theme as anything else. It didn't even occur to me when watching BvS that it was supposed to be her theme as opposed to "the badass theme that starts when Wonder Woman joins the fray."

It just doesn't really communicate anything about the character or feel like it really fits who she is outside of that one, specific, exact scene.

I think you need to pull out something more than "but the audiences loved it" for two of the lowest performing superhero movies of all time.

It's a good riff that sounds incredibly out-of-place in any other context, and they don't even try to make it evolve musically to fit the character's arc in the other movies. All they can ever do is just play that riff again, and it gets old real fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

It's a good riff that sounds incredibly out-of-place in any other context, and they don't even try to make it evolve musically to fit the character's arc in the other movies. All they can ever do is just play that riff again, and it gets old real fast.

I mean that kind of sums up DC movies in general to be fair. They have an idea and they have no idea how to evolve it so they just repeat it in less coherent ways. The Flash is just sort of the climax of that where they're just recycling the exact same poo poo not only from the current DC universe but older DC universes but in more random and boring ways.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

maybealabia posted:

Aphrodite posted:

What audiences?

ImpAtom posted:

Look, the almost three people who saw Shazam 2 and The Flash were both hootin' and hollerin' when Wonder Woman showed up.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Hulk Smash! posted:

Queen Abs stole every scene in Quantumania, so I can only agree that this is an excellent idea. She's buff, she can act, she's buff, she's totally down to make Wonder Woman super gay, she's buff...

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'm not defending the cameo/sting

More saying the studio would learn exactly the wrong lesson from it getting a much bigger reaction than the actual hero of the movie

Luckily I don't think Gunn is that sort of idiot

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I'm not sure if this is true or not but I remember something about how Gafot couldn't change her accent for Wonder Woman so the cast around her instead decided to just adopt her Israeli accent instead. That's pretty funny if true.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Parkingtigers posted:

Queen Abs stole every scene in Quantumania, so I can only agree that this is an excellent idea. She's buff, she can act, she's buff, she's totally down to make Wonder Woman super gay, she's buff...

She's a bit shorter than our current WW, but movie magic can fix that. I'm on board.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Literally anyone would be an upgrade over Gal, who cares if she’s shorter

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hear Lizzo is available

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can just picture the thumbnails from all those guys on YouTube if they replaced Gadot with O'Brian. They'd be so mad, one of them would probably die.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Joe Fisto posted:

I can just picture the thumbnails from all those guys on YouTube if they replaced Gadot with O'Brian. They'd be so mad, one of them would probably die.

I thought those guys hated Gal Gadot

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Joe Fisto posted:

The same people who were saying Gina Carano should have been Captain Marvel or whatever would lose their minds, yeah

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

I thought those guys hated Gal Gadot

They are inconsistent in their beliefs.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Hulk Smash! posted:

gently caress. Yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She can also act circles around Gadot

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

She can also act circles around Gadot

Sure. But so can a wet paper bag.

Katy's great though, fully agree.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Let’s discuss something positive. How did everyone like Mutant Mayhem? Turtles is comic related and all.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Nodosaur posted:

Let’s discuss something positive. How did everyone like Mutant Mayhem? Turtles is comic related and all.

It was pretty good.

I feel like every part of it was verging on great but just pretty good. Still well worth seeing if you like them turtle boys!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nodosaur posted:

I saw it last night and I'll just repeat what I wrote in another thread: It's good! Has a great look. There's a lot of explicit pop culture references though, integrated heavily into the story and even kind of the character arcs (Mark Ruffalo apparently improvising his lines in the diner scene in Endgame is not just mentioned, but called back to as a character beat, and the big plan to stop the villain in the climax is inspired in-universe by a reference to Attack on Titan), so if you're bothered by characters talking about other media you might have a bad time. To me, though, it just seems true to being a teenager, that experience of interpreting the world through the media you consume. It felt very authentic in a lot of ways, but especially in that one.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Arist posted:

I saw it last night and I'll just repeat what I wrote in another thread: It's good! Has a great look. There's a lot of explicit pop culture references though, integrated heavily into the story and even kind of the character arcs (Mark Ruffalo apparently improvising his lines in the diner scene in Endgame is not just mentioned, but called back to as a character beat, and the big plan to stop the villain in the climax is inspired in-universe by a reference to Attack on Titan), so if you're bothered by characters talking about other media you might have a bad time. To me, though, it just seems true to being a teenager, that experience of interpreting the world through the media you consume. It felt very authentic in a lot of ways, but especially in that one.

Yeah and besides, the 80s Turtle movie is full of pop culture references too

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I feel like the turtles themselves had a good look, and April and probably Rudd but most of the look was trying just a little too hard to be weird and different.

Certainly better than safe, samey garbage, but just missing the mark a bit for me. Probably hurt by coming out after The Last Wish and Spiderverse which both did similar things better

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I actually liked this more than Spider-verse. I heard a lot of bad things about Lord and Miller’s management style that soured me on the movie, and nothing in Turtles pissed me off/fundamentally misunderstood a character like ATSV’s take on Ben Reilly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Personally, I loved the way the humans looked. Animated movies play their character designs so safe in general that it was nice to see weird, lumpy, misshapen faces everywhere instead of completely forgettable, generically attractive extras copypasted into the background.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arist posted:

The Turtles themselves are a reference coughrip-offcough when it comes to Daredevil so it's kinda baked in.

Nodosaur posted:

I actually liked this more than Spider-verse. I heard a lot of bad things about Lord and Miller’s management style that soured me on the movie, and nothing in Turtles pissed me off/fundamentally misunderstood a character like ATSV’s take on Ben Reilly.

I know a lot of people didn't like Ben in ATSV but I loved it. That wasn't his character per se but having him represent the excess and angst and style of the 90s was great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lobok posted:

The Turtles themselves are a reference coughrip-offcough when it comes to Daredevil so it's kinda baked in.

I know a lot of people didn't like Ben in ATSV but I loved it. That wasn't his character per se but having him represent the excess and angst and style of the 90s was great.

I hated it. The art book comments also showed it wasn’t done with any clear understanding of who the character was, also. It’s such a weird low point for this movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Earth-94 Ben, not 616.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That doesn’t make it easier to swallow

I dunno. I still like Spider-verse but I’ve definitely cooled on it a fair bit. It’s not just the Ben thing.