Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Kinda stunned at how much time they spent developing the season villain, making him sympathetic and interesting, giving him a likeable supporting cast... a huge change from The Huntress last season.

Huh I hadn't even considered Bel Riose as the season's "villain." Will have to see how loyal he stays to the real villain--Day--when poo poo gets real in the outer reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Snowmanatee posted:

Huh I hadn't even considered Bel Riose as the season's "villain." Will have to see how loyal he stays to the real villain--Day--when poo poo gets real in the outer reach.
They've established that the current Crisis is Empire, and he's the agent of Empire. He is the Crisis. If they get him to defect that would be an elegant solution to the crisis, but I imagine there will be a lot of drama first.

The contrast with the Huntress is amazing. The Huntress even had a potentially sympathetic back story, but they still completely failed to humanize her.

Speaking of being better than the first season, I liked that Hari said Salvor Hardin's accomplishments were no big deal because all the forces of history were on her side and if it wasn't her someone would fill that roll. This is a nice reference to the books where that's true. I guess the show is going to ignore how much explicit blind luck went into preventing explicit annihilation of the Foundation last season? I guess that's fine.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Snowmanatee posted:

Well this show is the Lee Pace fantasy saga, so that guy is definitely a season villain.

Also I find it so funny that gay Picard is in full on mad max/medieval crosssover costume but he still talks in the Shakesperean theater delivery cadence.

Is this actor in any important show?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 30, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I know him from The Exorcist tv series but I don't know that it's important

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
He was a rebel general in Rogue One

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Eiba posted:

I guess the show is going to ignore how much explicit blind luck went into preventing explicit annihilation of the Foundation last season?
Isn't Salvor's coin flip thing supposed to be the explicit blind luck she has? I don't think that's ignored at all, though maybe it's subtler than it should be?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Luck is a psi-power in the Known Space universe, but not in Foundation (the books). Someone correct me if I'm forgetting something :ohdear:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
All of you with inside knowledge having read the books are very cool but can I ask that we keep any speculation based on book knowledge in spoiler tags saying as much. And also book spoilers in general because some of us will switch to the books and having surprises will be cool.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Resdfru posted:

All of you with inside knowledge having read the books are very cool but can I ask that we keep any speculation based on book knowledge in spoiler tags saying as much. And also book spoilers in general because some of us will switch to the books and having surprises will be cool.

Lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Resdfru posted:

Dumbledore dies, bitch

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm very cool because I've read a book. Are you very impressed by me? Watch as I find different ways to mention the book in every single post I make so everyone is aware that yes, I did in fact read the book before it was made into a show and therefore I'm very special

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Resdfru posted:

You can't spoil this show/story. Foundation is about the journey from A to B, not what B is and the show plot is so different from the book that noone will be able to spoil that journey, it's that far removed.
The biggest possible spoiler would have been the existence of the Second Foundation and the Mule but the show already dropped them into the story (and unlike the books didn't use them as mystery or "twist").
If you want to read the books this show has already spoiled you a lot more than it will be able to spoil anything from here on out in regards to the show.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

LinkesAuge posted:

You can't spoil this show/story. Foundation is about the journey from A to B, not what B is and the show plot is so different from the book that noone will be able to spoil that journey, it's that far removed.
The biggest possible spoiler would have been the existence of the Second Foundation and the Mule but the show already dropped them into the story (and unlike the books didn't use them as mystery or "twist").
If you want to read the books this show has already spoiled you a lot more than it will be able to spoil anything from here on out in regards to the show.

Gotcha, thanks for explaining. Sorry for being rude

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

LinkesAuge posted:

I'm not sure I agree. For example, during last season it would have been fair for TV viewers to complain they were being spoiled if book readers went at length about how later in the book the Foundation sets itself up as a relgion with technicians posing as priests on backwater worlds that don't understand modern technologies. Or how the Foundation is going to have to confront a brilliant military commander sent by the declining empire." And I recall speculation on whether it was likely the series would do at least one of those plots.

The TV show revealing things at a different pace from the books doesn't mean that the books "can't be spoiled," even if it's obviously complicated how big of a deal to make of it in a forum thread an adaptation of a decades old book that's been read by most of the people who would want to read it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Spoilers make sense for shows based on modern books, like the Silo series. Here we’re talking about 50 year old books. Wheel of Time is a bit if an edge case - it’s not that old but most everyone has read it. It does stray from the source material, though, though not as mich as Foundation.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Killer robot posted:

even if it's obviously complicated how big of a deal to make of it in a forum thread an adaptation of a decades old book that's been read by most of the people who would want to read it.

Fair enough. Obviously I think (potentially) spoiling the show because lol it's dumb anyways is lame but if I'm in the minority then so be it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Resdfru posted:

Fair enough. Obviously I think (potentially) spoiling the show because lol it's dumb anyways is lame but if I'm in the minority then so be it.

Nah, I generally agree with you. It's poor form for those of us who have read the books to discuss specific future plot events of the novel unspoiled if there are significant numbers of posters who haven't, vs like discussing differences in base themes and events we've seen already. I just can see why there aren't such strict rules about it as there are in the Wheel of Time TV IV thread for example.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I feel like the relationship to the books is like a Roger Corman adaptation. Like you know there’s going to be a pit and a pendulum, but beyond that and a few character names all bets are off.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh my God they were serious?

Okay, for real book spoiler: Cleon is going to be a farmer

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
For a show called the Foundation it spends remarkably little time in the Foundation.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

ikanreed posted:

Oh my God they were serious?

Okay, for real book spoiler: Cleon is going to be a farmer

What kind though

Edit and yea I was serious. I guess seeing it happen in every adaptation thread got to me and I posted about it in the worst thread to be mad about it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Owling Howl posted:

For a show called the Foundation it spends remarkably little time in the Foundation.

TBF they are laying the foundation for that.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I enjoy the minor adventure of Hispanic Han Solo and Rise Tico, I hope the show finally give a character or two I can root for.

In the imperial side, I like the royal intrigue...but I think that Cleopatra actress is playing her character wrong.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Dumbledore dies, bitch

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
no offense dawg but the book is like 70 years old

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I think the latest episode kinda proved we’re 100% out of even the possibility of book spoiler territory. Episode 4 courtesy spoiler, since it just aired today: How will the peace mission to Trantor turn out? Where is Hober Mallow going? What is Bel Riose going to do? What’s going to happen between Dominion and Empire on Trantor? gently caress if we know! It’s all different. Maybe safe to say poo poo is resolved and The Foundation thrives because there’s already another pending crisis with The Mule, but that’s the only insight we get from the books.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
And if this was a general thread about books I'd tell me to go gently caress myself but yea. Anyway, I accept that I'm the only one who thinks this so I apologize for stirring up the poo poo

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ep4 plot: So the queen girl ordered the assassination of Lee Pace even though she was not sure who killed her family? Okay you are a bad person anyway, why the hell do you care who killed your family. Whoever ordered to killed your family did you a favorite and made you the queen. Also why make a nobody to find it out for you. Just ask Day when you are loving him. That's your style. You did it once already.

Is this memory recording and wiping a brand new gimmick or it was mentioned before?

Also how did Jared Harris go from a real body in E3 to whatever he is here? A matrix construct?

Also the Show Picard arrived to a planet Star fleet style, and the motherfucking flew squirrel suit to the planet surface with his lover. And them war crimed a whole village like he was in a Michael Bay movie. Hilarious.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Dumbledore dies, bitch

Jared Harris is the son of actor Richard Harris, the original Dumbledore who did die... :smith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

Jared Harris is the son of actor Richard Harris, the original Dumbledore who did die... :smith:

Now you are just bringing me down man!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ep4 plot: So the queen girl ordered the assassination of Lee Pace even though she was not sure who killed her family? Okay you are a bad person anyway, why the hell do you care who killed your family. Whoever ordered to killed your family did you a favorite and made you the queen. Also why make a nobody to find it out for you. Just ask Day when you are loving him. That's your style. You did it once already.

Is this memory recording and wiping a brand new gimmick or it was mentioned before?

Also how did Jared Harris go from a real body in E3 to whatever he is here? A matrix construct?

Also the Show Picard arrived to a planet Star fleet style, and the motherfucking flew squirrel suit to the planet surface with his lover. And them war crimed a whole village like he was in a Michael Bay movie. Hilarious.

Memory wiping has been a thing since the defective Cleon was allowed to choose a concubine to plow and was told their memories would be wiped so they'd never remember it

There are now multiple Seldons. The one Gaal and Salvor have that went from being trapped in the radiant to becoming a real boy, and the one that has been inside the vault the entire time.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Memory wiping has been a thing since the defective Cleon was allowed to choose a concubine to plow and was told their memories would be wiped so they'd never remember it

There are now multiple Seldons. The one Gaal and Salvor have that went from being trapped in the radiant to becoming a real boy, and the one that has been inside the vault the entire time.

You know they are supposedly different Seldons but in this episode he said the two prime radiants were quantum entangled so I wonder if they are going to say that actually the two Seldons are the same or at least in communication?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well the two Seldons are quantum entangled so there are two of them exist at the same time.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Something I am unclear about is the level of technology Hari used to initially set up the whole plan.

The vault appears to use magic tech that is so advanced that the first settlers on Terminus suspected is could possibly be an alien artifact. The prime radiant continues to be revealed to be more and more complex and now it both holds Hari's consciousness and is in quantum superposition?

Was all of this technology common in the Empire at the time Hari set his plan in motion? Is it tech he developed in secret?

Penitent fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 4, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm glad this show continues to be fun. The deadpan delivery of three years and immediate contradiction were hilarious.

Penitent posted:

Was all of this technology common in the Empire at the time Hari set his plan in motion? Is it tech he developed in secret?
Nope! It's quite a mystery! Probably related to the mathematician who math'd Hari into a body last episode. Maybe ancient robots who aren't Demrezel?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 5, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Eiba posted:

I'm glad this show continues to be fun. The deadpan delivery of three years and immediate contraction were hilarious.

Nope! It's quite a mystery! Probably related to the mathematician who math'd Hari into a body last episode. Maybe ancient robots who aren't Demrezel?

This is my guess.

Could make her related to the pre Cleonic dynasty they've referenced once or twice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Book-readers, did the books do this whole "computers are haram"/"spacers" proto-Dune stuff?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Book-readers, did the books do this whole "computers are haram"/"spacers" proto-Dune stuff?

Sort of. The original stories were written in the 1940s so Hari Seldon demonstrating the math of psychohistory on a "pocket calculator" was plenty supertech for the time. As decades passed Asimov tied Foundation into the same timeline as his robot novels, necessitating that the technology of robots had gone away via human culture actively rejecting it as leading to stagnation. While the "positronic brain" technology robots are based around is distinct from electronic computers, with it came a general taboo on powerful computing so that the original portrayal of the late Empire would still make sense.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Data Graham posted:

This is more of an element of the later books that Asimov wrote to tie Foundation into his Robot books (which to be fair, those later books are also where Demerzel and Raych are from). It’s more that in the distant past, robots stalled the early Spacer society into stagnation, so the later Settlers stopped using robots and they were the ones who went on to settle the galaxy, and the basic idea of robots were just forgotten.

I know the authors who did Foundation books after Asimov died incorporated simple robots into Trantor society but I don’t really remember a lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Latest episode: "Don't walk that way, I took a dump over there," killed me. The nonplussed way that 4th dude enters the vault and is just like "I let someone else be in charge" with absolutely no "you've been in here for hours and I got worried about my daughter" and no "let's try to go back out, get a rope, make sure we have supplies, and make sure nobody is worried about how long it's taking us to be in here" is just.... hilarious. I love that the show isn't wasting time and getting on with it and instead of feeling like I have to ask "why aren't they taking precautions?" I feel way more like I'm watching Hitchhiker's Guide and just having fun. The dialog is brilliant throughout and for a wonderful episode that is missing the worst part of the show, Gaal and Salvor, I actually wondered out loud "...I wonder what Gaal and Salvor are up to." This show feels well and truly saved.

Constant being adorably horny was also some chef's kiss character development. Nothing about it felt forced. Really well done acting and writing. Just... fantastic.