Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

NtotheTC posted:

for real though where is de_prodigy, that map deserved a csgo remake

This is the old map I think about constantly. Can't believe freakin cbble got remade but not prodigy. A wronging second only to the removal of func_vehicle.

It's not Counter-Strike if I can't trick people going into the Robocop room of blingedoutcars.bsp. smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bloodplay it again posted:

This is the old map I think about constantly. Can't believe freakin cbble got remade but not prodigy. A wronging second only to the removal of func_vehicle.

It's not Counter-Strike if I can't trick people going into the Robocop room of blingedoutcars.bsp. smoke weed every day

Everything about this post is perfect :patriot:

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

quote:

Release Notes for 8/2/2023
[ GAMEPLAY ]

Disabled Wingman

[ MAPS ]

Added Anubis to Deathmatch, Casual, and Competitive game modes
Added Ancient to Deathmatch and Casual game modes
Removed Overpass and Vertigo

[ MISC ]

Taught chickens how to swim
Weapons splash when dropped in water
Adjusted grenade/water interaction sounds

[ ANIMATION ]

Improved head animation when crouching while running
Improved foot animation when quickly alternating between standing still and moving
Big changes today.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Pumped for Disabled Wingman mode

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
Crazy how many things have been datamined in the latest update. Seems like the matchmaking overhaul as reported by Richard Lewis might be coming. People have found mentions of leaderboards, seasons, and an HLTV-esque "CS rating". Valve also just announced that they're going to be making a massive change to the way pro tournaments work. With only Inferno remaining as the last active duty map to be ported as well as the danger zone gamemode it feels like we're getting close to either open beta or full release.

Here's Valve's tournament announcement:

quote:

Counter-Strike is at its best when teams compete on a level playing field and when ability is the only limit to their success.

Over the past few years, we’ve seen professional Counter-Strike drift away from that ideal. The ecosystem has become gradually less open, with access to the highest levels of competition increasingly gated by business relationships.

We think that Counter-Strike should be an open sport. So we’re going to add new requirements to running large-scale competitive events. The finer details are still in progress, but here are the broad strokes:

Tournament organizers will no longer have unique business relationships or other conflicts of interest with teams that participate in their events.

Invitations to all tournaments will use our ranking system (detailed here), or otherwise be determined by open qualifiers.

Any compensation for participating teams—prize pool or otherwise—will be made public and will be driven by objective criteria that can be inspected by the community.

Since tournament organizers have existing long term commitments, these requirements will take effect as of 2025. There will be some rough edges to the transition, but we’re committed to the long-term health of Counter-Strike as a sport and are looking forward to its bright and open future.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

The tournament change is loving huge and welcome. The partner leagues were admittedly a necessity to preserve the scene as much as possible during covid but were quickly becoming an informal franchising agreement between the moneyed orgs and the TOs. A notable result lately is EG being a dogshit, terribly run org that flames out of literally every tournament possible in the earliest stages but getting invites to everything over more deserving orgs like ENCE and Mouz. Makes for a lovely experience for fans and orgs alike.

It’s also a perfect time to announce this as the anti-franchising sentiment in the Valorant community is reaching a peak. Easy W for Valve and CS.

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Pandaal posted:

The tournament change is loving huge and welcome. The partner leagues were admittedly a necessity to preserve the scene as much as possible during covid but were quickly becoming an informal franchising agreement between the moneyed orgs and the TOs. A notable result lately is EG being a dogshit, terribly run org that flames out of literally every tournament possible in the earliest stages but getting invites to everything over more deserving orgs like ENCE and Mouz. Makes for a lovely experience for fans and orgs alike.

It’s also a perfect time to announce this as the anti-franchising sentiment in the Valorant community is reaching a peak. Easy W for Valve and CS.

Agreed, I think the Paris major was a great example of when these smaller teams get the chance to play you can get some really competitive and exciting matches. People think there's a huge difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 teams but really it feels more like it's just sponsored vs non-sponsored teams. That's not to mention the teams that you mentioned like ENCE and Mouz that are just smaller Tier 1 teams that just couldn't pay to play like EG. This change along with CS2 feels like the CS scene is just going to keep getting better and growing

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Infernot posted:

Here's Valve's tournament announcement:

This announcement when you load up the game is pretty wild.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

There’s been some interesting stuff showing up in the datamining too. Looks like they’re redoing the ranks (not ELO unfortunately but a visible MMR nonetheless) and centering a lot of it around the Premier MM queue.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
where’s the source to the mm changes

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/aquaismissing/status/1686886189578461184?s=46&t=acepYlUc5mZ3hat7zK2dyw

It would probably be for the best to have premier be the way to play ranked active duty if they’re going to rework the ranks like this. Seems kind of ridiculous that we have Vertiglobals and Office globals

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

quote:

[ GAMEPLAY ]

Competitive and Private Matchmaking are currently disabled in the Limited Test

Minor adjustments to smoke cloud shape

[ MAPS ]

Added Italy to Deathmatch and Casual game modes

Removed Anubis and Ancient
loving lol

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The other big hubbub is changing to MR12 instead of MR15

Spooooooky!

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested to see how Valve's MR12 format would feel to play. Short matches are an interesting experiment with the economy, maybe they could perfect it for MR12? Apparently, CPL used to do MR12 way back in the day, so it's not like MR15 has been the standard forever. I feel like managing the economy across each half is one of the coolest aspects about CS, though the save meta is kind of boring to watch

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I picked up and stopped playing CS back in like 2017 because I couldn't handle the MR15 for everything; each game took forever. The stakes were too high due to the time needed for a game. As a result, people were toxic as it felt like a gross misuse of time.

I just returned to CSGO and have had a better time with the Short Competitive game mode. First to 9 rules for a casual baby like myself.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I think MR12 can be good if they make the necessary adjustments to the economy. Make sure pistol rounds and conversions stay important but don't shrink it all too much to where every game becomes force-buy wars (which is what the MR8s always devolve to) and it can be a good way to recombine the playerbase into one MM queue. That + making premier the main competitive mode should mean bigger pools >>> better matchmaking >>> faster queues.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Slotducks posted:

I picked up and stopped playing CS back in like 2017 because I couldn't handle the MR15 for everything; each game took forever. The stakes were too high due to the time needed for a game. As a result, people were toxic as it felt like a gross misuse of time.

I just returned to CSGO and have had a better time with the Short Competitive game mode. First to 9 rules for a casual baby like myself.

Just play goonmans

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

quote:

Release Notes for 8/17/2023
[ MAPS ]

All maps previously shipped in the Limited Test are available in casual and deathmatch matchmaking
All maps and game modes previously shipped in the Limited Test are available for offline play
The past 2 days is probably more playtime Italy will ever get compared to from here to the end of time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Italy is one of the best maps.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Italy was the first Counterstrike map I ever played :fap:

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Friends come play on the goon community server, be a part of throwing nineteen games in search of a single highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbrCRHRSs58

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
My HyperX Cloud IIs just died and I'm looking for a wireless replacement or upgrade. Anyone got any CSGO specific recommendations (or sets to avoid)? I'm considering the HyperX Cloud Alphas at the moment but any help would be appreciated!

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Steelseries pro nova wireless is the best headset I’ve ever used, strongly recommend if you don’t mind paying

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

If you care at all about what your mic sounds like the Razer Blackshark V2 Pro is the standard bearer nowadays. If you just care about sound quality most recommend the Cloud2 Wireless or the Logi G-Pros

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee

hello internet posted:

Steelseries pro nova wireless is the best headset I’ve ever used, strongly recommend if you don’t mind paying

Yeah I have been considering these because there's a lot of glowing reviews and I have some steelseries gear I like already but they're definitely pushing my budget.

Pandaal posted:

If you care at all about what your mic sounds like the Razer Blackshark V2 Pro is the standard bearer nowadays. If you just care about sound quality most recommend the Cloud2 Wireless or the Logi G-Pros

In the longer term I'm planning to get a separate desktop mic so the mic isn't too important. I know the HyperX mics aren't the best.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Valve clears up certain things with competitive in CS2.

https://twitter.com/CounterStrike/status/1697388803399553241

New Inferno looks great.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
It's almost out

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

skill ranks per map :staredog:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Vertiglobals literally in ruins.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm excited to play again and still be so bad.
It's going to rule

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Vertiglobals literally in ruins.

I know a guy who is office global with 100K+ on his stattrack P90. Gonna be a lol.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcvey posted:

It's almost out

Did they give a release date or are we just counting on it being 3 weeks until the equinox and therefore summer is running out?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I meet all reqs but no beta key

GABEN RESOLVE THANK YOU.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
There's this weird bug where it says there's six players on a team (one is offline) and you start with a guaranteed timeout. Hope they fix soon.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Idk how I feel about the new glock sounds

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

New inferno is a beaut. Game overall feels a little off but that might just be a decade of csgo speaking

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I liked the new voting system for the maps so far. Might get annoyed later if I want to play a specific map. Thought the sound quality was really bad, and got quite confused on the bomb placement on nuke.

Oddly enough I enjoyed the cross hair moving with the bullets, but ultimately blamed that option when I started doing poorly and I turned it off.

Didn't realize there was overtime. Nice surprise.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

grill youre saelf posted:

I liked the new voting system for the maps so far. Might get annoyed later if I want to play a specific map. Thought the sound quality was really bad, and got quite confused on the bomb placement on nuke.

Oddly enough I enjoyed the cross hair moving with the bullets, but ultimately blamed that option when I started doing poorly and I turned it off.

Didn't realize there was overtime. Nice surprise.

You'll still be able to queue for specific maps eventually, but then you'll get a skill rating per map.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The awp and scout both feel so good this game. I don't usually use those but, man, I'm hitting shots left and right.

Which idiot of video games said "no 4 person queues"?

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Push El Burrito posted:

Which idiot of video games said "no 4 person queues"?

It’s the right call. If you’re the solo guy playing with a 4 stack it just always 100% sucks. Best case scenario you play with no comms while they all sit in a discord call and reserve their push-to-talk key solely to blame the odd man out for every lost round. Back when there were bots you’d just end up getting vote kicked so one of them could play the bot every round. 3-stack still allows a chance at another 2 guys playing together. Otherwise find a 5th buddy.