Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The season that launches with TFS is going to be weird as gently caress. A whole season of “welp we won now what”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
4 meme seasons like Plunder

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The season that launches with TFS is going to be weird as gently caress. A whole season of “welp we won now what”

Season of Victory Lapping

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I guess the following seasons past FS will be introducing the next “Saga” of Destiny

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The current thought is that another expansion is coming very quickly after Final Shape.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

SgtSteel91 posted:

I guess the following seasons past FS will be introducing the next “Saga” of Destiny

An even bigger bag guy than... *Checks notes*... The concept of death.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Weekly quest: emote at the witness’s corpse for a powerful drop

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Even ignoring stuff like lol Gambit that was a whole fuckload of words that mostly just confirmed poo poo we already knew. This is not gonna go over well with the player base.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MJeff posted:

The current thought is that another expansion is coming very quickly after Final Shape.

Yeah the Final Shape: Season 1 is going to be awkward. Typically the annual campaign and the first season of the year are quite divergent, but that would be a dumb idea this time around

I suspect TFS is going to be a unique SKU that includes the campaign, the raid, and the equivalent of an underlying 'season'. I don't think there will be a $10 season pass for TFS: Season 1. I think it's just going to be a really juicy 3-6 month period of content.

A bigger-than-a-season, smaller-than-an-expac makes sense for ~6 months post TFS. Tales Of Destiny Presents: VexCursion(tm)

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
This entire SotG post reads as a coded message along the lines of "HELP I am trapped in a Live Service prison" for the entire d2 dev team.

Making armor sets is too hard. Making new maps is too hard. Moreover, the act of investing more in PvP or Gambit apparently has a direct and proportional impact on their PvE release cadence. What I read from that is that what development resources they have to put to work on this game are 100% used up simply generating exactly the same stuff we've been getting every season: 3-4 new maps for a seasonal activity. One dungeon or one raid. Seven weeks of voice acted story. 6-8 new guns and 6-8 old guns with new perks. Two exotic weapons, one from a quest.

They have absolutely no wiggle room anywhere, they are completely locked into this. Bungie clearly views the obvious solutions (release less pve stuff for more pvp stuff, or put more time between seasons to add more things total) as unviable for reasons which presumably make sense to them. You can make an argument that maybe they could just Develop Better (how hard can adding old maps be is the common complaint of d2 social media) but in this, if nothing else, I take Bungie's claims in good faith. I legitimately think they cannot release more content or faster content then what they currently are, be it a limitation of time, resources, dev practices, all of the above.

That's unfortunate because what they release is ultimately not enough, I think, to maintain constant engagement. I think they even realize this, because some of their changes to weapon economy and seasonal timing have given a bit more latitude to people who just want to see the story, hit 100 on the seasonal battle pass, finish the new content to their satisfaction, and dip. This is dramatically different from the D2 of the Forsaken or Shadowkeep eras that wanted to be the only game you ever play.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

You joke but it's probably going to be something like Season of Triumph or something.

Throughout all the fake leaks, I've noticed one thread in that the leakers always claim there's going to be a "back-to-basics" season, where instead of there being a big story, Bungie just focuses on making more content for the ritual playlists. More Strikes, more Crucible maps, more Gambit maps. While highly unlikely, I think I'd like that.

That Final Shape showcase is going to have to have some killer reveals in it.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 3, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Meiteron posted:

This entire SotG post reads as a coded message along the lines of "HELP I am trapped in a Live Service prison" for the entire d2 dev team.

Making armor sets is too hard. Making new maps is too hard. Moreover, the act of investing more in PvP or Gambit apparently has a direct and proportional impact on their PvE release cadence. What I read from that is that what development resources they have to put to work on this game are 100% used up simply generating exactly the same stuff we've been getting every season: 3-4 new maps for a seasonal activity. One dungeon or one raid. Seven weeks of voice acted story. 6-8 new guns and 6-8 old guns with new perks. Two exotic weapons, one from a quest.

They have absolutely no wiggle room anywhere, they are completely locked into this. Bungie clearly views the obvious solutions (release less pve stuff for more pvp stuff, or put more time between seasons to add more things total) as unviable for reasons which presumably make sense to them. You can make an argument that maybe they could just Develop Better (how hard can adding old maps be is the common complaint of d2 social media) but in this, if nothing else, I take Bungie's claims in good faith. I legitimately think they cannot release more content or faster content then what they currently are, be it a limitation of time, resources, dev practices, all of the above.

That's unfortunate because what they release is ultimately not enough, I think, to maintain constant engagement. I think they even realize this, because some of their changes to weapon economy and seasonal timing have given a bit more latitude to people who just want to see the story, hit 100 on the seasonal battle pass, finish the new content to their satisfaction, and dip. This is dramatically different from the D2 of the Forsaken or Shadowkeep eras that wanted to be the only game you ever play.

MJeff posted:

I think it's because they're working on two expansions at the same time.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
They can’t fix Gambit but I’m supposed to be interested in their PvPvE only game in a few years?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sunday at work posted:

They can’t fix Gambit but I’m supposed to be interested in their PvPvE only game in a few years?

All the people who would have fixed Gambit are now working on it, so, maybe?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Throughout all the fake leaks, I've noticed one thread in that the leakers always claim there's going to be a "back-to-basics" season, where instead of there being a big story, Bungie just focuses on making more content for the ritual playlists. More Strikes, more Crucible maps, more Gambit maps. While highly unlikely, I think I'd like that.

See before this state of the game i'd believe that but now? HA! There will never be a season like that. They just reinforced "This is a PVE game now with some PVP" and "If we can't monetize it, we aint wasting time on it".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"Season of fixing up stuff" has been a perennial Reddit demand for as long as I can remember, it's leak fakers playing to their audience

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

MJeff posted:

Which is a fair point, and also a pretty good reason for why development resources are stretched so thin. But that doesn't move the needle on whether their current resources are delivering a good experience. Witch Queen was great, certainly. Was Lightfall good expansion-level content? Was Shadowkeep? Would these expansions have been better with another 6-12 months in the oven? How many expansions have we had which were either received negatively on release or accepted positively with caveats? It's probably shorter to list the ones that weren't. That they feel they have to release one of these every 12 months like clockwork is just another form of the live service trap they're in.

Given what we know about Bungie, the idea that they are working on two expansions simultaneously in the same 12 month span does not fill me with confidence, if I'm being honest. What's going to happen next spring, is the general player consensus going to be "well The Final Shape had problems but they had to split dev time between that and this next expansion Destiny 2 A Realm Reborn, that'll fix everything!"

It's a bit unrelated but it always struck me as a little bit strange that outside the campaign, initial glut of weaponry and new patrol space, a D2 Expansion is ultimately just a season that costs more money. Other then veil lore there's no reason to go back to Neomuna after the initial season, just as it was for the Throne World, Europa, the Moon...

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Too busy working on the Live Service to develop the game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bungie looking at the D4 campfire fiasco and going “we can do worse”

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Meiteron posted:

It's a bit unrelated but it always struck me as a little bit strange that outside the campaign, initial glut of weaponry and new patrol space, a D2 Expansion is ultimately just a season that costs more money. Other then veil lore there's no reason to go back to Neomuna after the initial season, just as it was for the Throne World, Europa, the Moon...

Arguably there are cool guns you could want to grind for in the Dreaming City, Europa, and the Moon. Not so for Throne World and Neomuna what with crafting.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

sunday at work posted:

Too busy working on the Live Service to develop the game.

If the current title wasn't so perfect this would be it.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

MJeff posted:

I don't think this is true anymore.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Assuming that graphic is legit, it was made probably in early-to-mid 2022. Lots of time for priorities to change

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope the final shape is an engram

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
And if you look at an engram straight on? It's the Titan symbol.

checkmate huntailures. Warlocks are OK.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

MJeff posted:

I would not take "we ran out of space on the right side of the screen, so just stuff the next expansion there whatever" as a timeline statement.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I was gonna say, I don't think that's necessarily To Scale haha

Also it says Worthy - Opulence - Hunt so I dunno what is even going on there

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?
"People want new maps for Gambit, and its user base is dwindling"

"So you're going to make new Gambit maps, right?"

"No"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"we made a bunch of changes to gambit and still no one likes or plays it"

"were any of those changes new maps?"

"...no"

Seriously, though, Gambit needs a much more fundamental overhaul and major changes to invasions before it's anything but a chore

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The main thing Gambit needs is a reason to play it. The loot has been the same since forever and none of it is noteworthy nowadays. The only reason people touch Gambit at all is to complete seasonal challenges.

They also need to tone down the power/importance of having a good invader, but that alone won't make a difference if there's no incentive to play it in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They also don't say if there's still going to be a two reset ornament for the ritual weapon, because if there is, lol

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Loaded up D2 last night, looked the space chores I had to do, quit out, and fired up Battlefield 4 instead.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'll still play the next garbage season idk

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bungie should have a separate walled-off sandbox planet that's "oops, all exotics" and let us equip as many exotic armor and weapons at once as we like. Just go loving nuts and break the game

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

"We pulled everyone that can work to marathon and matter and left a skeleton crew on d2. Wait, why is there no hype for yet another extraction game? WE'RE BUNGIE! gently caress it, full steam ahead on two failing fronts, soon to be 3!"

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

Meiteron posted:

I think they even realize this, because some of their changes to weapon economy and seasonal timing have given a bit more latitude to people who just want to see the story, hit 100 on the seasonal battle pass, finish the new content to their satisfaction, and dip. This is dramatically different from the D2 of the Forsaken or Shadowkeep eras that wanted to be the only game you ever play.

Whether intentional or not I think this strategy actually helps long-term engagement. People don’t burn out as much, and if you fall off the treadmill it’s easier to get back on if it’s set to “walk” speed rather than “sprint”. It’s been a big win for Bungie’s core audience of dad gamers.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Kennedy posted:

"People want new maps for Gambit, and its user base is dwindling"

"So you're going to make new Gambit maps, right?"

"No"

They keep getting into this scenario where they don't want to work on Gambit because nobody plays it, but nobody plays it because they don't work on it. Production priority is hard to get right but they might as well kill the gamemode off completely at this point.

I guess having the Dreaming City map back and some enemy changes is nice though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PathAsc posted:

"We pulled everyone that can work to marathon and matter and left a skeleton crew on d2. Wait, why is there no hype for yet another extraction game? WE'RE BUNGIE! gently caress it, full steam ahead on two failing fronts, soon to be 3!"

3 more and they'll have a pyrrhic success on their hands

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

RBA Starblade posted:

3 more and they'll have a pyrrhic success on their hands

4 and they can go to the lighthouse for two tokens and a blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

if I wasn't already checked out, I'd probably be pissed at one of the worst state of the games I've ever seen

I'll still play the final shape since I've been invested in this terrible game for a decade, but yeah, here to watch them flub the landing in pve and story side, that's about it

(the final shape is live service, and Bungie is trapped in it)