Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He did 3 in Miami this year!

He actually is under contract for a certain number a year. Back when I listened he used to complain like crazy when there was a random holiday they were working so that they could get the entire next week off and still reach their quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

haljordan posted:

How many live shows does Howard do in a year? Is it a contractually mandated number?

Yes. 112 shows. Just like his birthday and his production company. :rolleyes:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Sand Monster posted:

Yes. 112 shows. Just like his birthday and his production company. :rolleyes:

2 a week and some change lol

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
When people would call and complain about them always being gone he would go on a rant about how he makes 450 hours of content a year which is far more than any other comedy show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Lifespan posted:

When people would call and complain about them always being gone he would go on a rant about how he makes 450 hours of content a year which is far more than any other comedy show.

"Comedy" doing a whole lot of heavy lifting at times.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Closer by NIN comes on the other day and all I can hear is Fred's "gently caress YOU!" drop from Ed Wood. I think they played it a few times back in the day and I can't hear the song the same way any more.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Closer by NIN comes on the other day and all I can hear is Fred's "gently caress YOU!" drop from Ed Wood. I think they played it a few times back in the day and I can't hear the song the same way any more.

Karloff? Sidekick?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Does anyone else just randomly hear the Aurora Snow drop in their head from time to time? No? Just me?

gently caress

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Szyznyk posted:

Karloff? Sidekick?

gently caress YOU!!!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Bonzo posted:

Does anyone else just randomly hear the Aurora Snow drop in their head from time to time? No? Just me?

gently caress

Is that the QUACK QUACK QUACK *GAAAAASP* blowjob drop? Sometimes when Fred would play it, Howard would let it play wayyyy too long and it would always crack me up real hard.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Wasn’t it a blind guy that found that sound drop and sent it to the show? I think they had Aurora on the show with him at some point.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Odddzy posted:

Where did you hear that story? He might've been bi for sure, he was married to a child therapist for a while during his SNL years. I've heard Adam Carolla say he had a story of norm butt-loving a friends wife while the guy was mowing the lawn on his show once but it sounds so strange.

It's been so long I don't really remember, but if I really had to guess I think it was Greg Fitzsimmons who told the story, so maybe it was on his podcast? From what I remember it was while Norm was a writer on Roseanne's show, and all the other writers got ticked off because Norm got all sorts of special treatment for being her boy toy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

Is that the QUACK QUACK QUACK *GAAAAASP* blowjob drop? Sometimes when Fred would play it, Howard would let it play wayyyy too long and it would always crack me up real hard.

lol yup

Two Kings posted:

Wasn’t it a blind guy that found that sound drop and sent it to the show? I think they had Aurora on the show with him at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFoi1KkS0LA

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Evil Agita posted:

It's been so long I don't really remember, but if I really had to guess I think it was Greg Fitzsimmons who told the story, so maybe it was on his podcast? From what I remember it was while Norm was a writer on Roseanne's show, and all the other writers got ticked off because Norm got all sorts of special treatment for being her boy toy.

It sounds believable, Norm loved Roseanne whom he's always said so much good of.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I'm genuinely curious. You think it takes talent to play Frankenstein?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

parthenocarpy posted:

I watched a recording of the Benedict Cumberbatch Frankenstein play and that line kept going through my head when Cumberbatch flops across the stage like a dying fish for the first 20 minutes of the play.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

parthenocarpy posted:

There's more to it than makeup and grunting, that's for sure.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw Jackie do comedy at a pizza place on Saturday. My observations

- The fucker looks old as poo poo. A lotta cold gold I guess.
- He's either got dentures or caps because his mouth is bright white and he clicked and clacked like a puppet when he talked.
- He killed. Absolutely killed. I mean, it was a bunch of drunk white people in Mass so it was a perfect audience, but I can't lie, I was laughing too. I feel like a lot of comedy these days is cerebral or surreal or this and that, and it was nice to hear some guy go up and tell a bunch of ancient dick jokes with no real pretense or set-up to anything.
- I knew probably 20% of the jokes in the set which means Jackie has probably told them 4,000 times and he still laughed like it was the first time, every time.
- He stopped mid-set to hold up his two books and say they would be for sale at the end of the show (with no shame).
- He was a "middle" to use Sal vernacular which was a little sad. I was hoping to see the whole Jackie caravan of t-shirts, CDs, etc but I guess those days are gone. No Stump the Jokeman too which was a bummer.
- At the end of the show he stood in a doorway holding a piece of luggage filled with his books. I asked if I could Venmo or Paypal him for a copy and he said cash only, but I did get him to say "Give Rodney a Chance" so my life is complete.

I've said it all.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

kylej posted:

- The fucker looks old as poo poo. A lotta cold gold I guess.
- He's either got dentures or caps because his mouth is bright white and he clicked and clacked like a puppet when he talked.
- He killed. Absolutely killed. I mean, it was a bunch of drunk white people in Mass so it was a perfect audience, but I can't lie, I was laughing too. I feel like a lot of comedy these days is cerebral or surreal or this and that, and it was nice to hear some guy go up and tell a bunch of ancient dick jokes with no real pretense or set-up to anything.
- I knew probably 20% of the jokes in the set which means Jackie has probably told them 4,000 times and he still laughed like it was the first time, every time.
- He stopped mid-set to hold up his two books and say they would be for sale at the end of the show (with no shame).
- He was a "middle" to use Sal vernacular which was a little sad. I was hoping to see the whole Jackie caravan of t-shirts, CDs, etc but I guess those days are gone. No Stump the Jokeman too which was a bummer.
- At the end of the show he stood in a doorway holding a piece of luggage filled with his books. I asked if I could Venmo or Paypal him for a copy and he said cash only, but I did get him to say "Give Rodney a Chance" so my life is complete.

I've said it all.

Did he plug Nancy's band? I'm assuming he's still obligated to do so due to a clause in the divorce settlement. Also he didn't even headline, that's rough.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

kylej posted:

gently caress I love a prince pizza. never been to the club in there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve heard comics say that “people are there to laugh” give them jokes !!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Zsa zsa gabor has mammoth oval office lips

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Is this the first time a wackpacker has been federally indicted?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ether Frenzy posted:

Is this the first time a wackpacker has been federally indicted?

Always seemed like a race between Trump and Elliot Offen.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
well I miss Adrian Adonis...Lou Albano....Andre The Giant...Bob Backlin...I miss Berserker....Bam Bam Bigelow...Junkyard Dog....Conquistator....I miss Spike Dudley...I miss Dory Funk and Flash Funk and Hoss Funk and Terry Funk.....back in the 70s I gave Chief Jay Strongbow a handjob

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Zsa zsa gabor has mammoth oval office lips

I think Patreons are dumb... but man would pay to keep Richard Christie working full time remixing audiobooks now that Stern won't do it because the Dolly Parton stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lifespan posted:

I think Patreons are dumb... but man would pay to keep Richard Christie working full time remixing audiobooks now that Stern won't do it because the Dolly Parton stuff.

I'm not familiar with what you mean here, can you explain?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not familiar with what you mean here, can you explain?

I had to look it up too, but basically:

Dolly Parton is known for her good-natured wit and easygoing way with people, but shock jock Howard Stern managed to get her dander up with one of his many public displays of questionable taste.

The year was 2008, and Stern edited the audiobook version of Parton's memoir, My Life and Other Unfinished Business, to make it appear as if she was making racist comments and speaking poorly of other musicians, including her friend and collaborator Linda Ronstadt. The country icon responded with an uncharacteristically strongly worded public statement.

"I have never been so shocked, hurt and humiliated in all my life,” Parton said. “I cannot believe what Howard Stern has done to me. In a blue million years, I would never have such vulgar things come out of my mouth. They have done editing or some sort of trickery to make this horrible, horrible thing."

Read More: Remember When Dolly Parton Feuded With Howard Stern? | https://tasteofcountry.com/dolly-parton-howard-stern-feud/

I was listening back then, and remember a little stink about it I think?, but that was only from Howards side, and I'd take Dolly's position over Howards any day.

e. VVV This VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 3, 2023

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

I had to look it up too, but basically:

Dolly Parton is known for her good-natured wit and easygoing way with people, but shock jock Howard Stern managed to get her dander up with one of his many public displays of questionable taste.

The year was 2008, and Stern edited the audiobook version of Parton's memoir, My Life and Other Unfinished Business, to make it appear as if she was making racist comments and speaking poorly of other musicians, including her friend and collaborator Linda Ronstadt. The country icon responded with an uncharacteristically strongly worded public statement.

"I have never been so shocked, hurt and humiliated in all my life,” Parton said. “I cannot believe what Howard Stern has done to me. In a blue million years, I would never have such vulgar things come out of my mouth. They have done editing or some sort of trickery to make this horrible, horrible thing."

Read More: Remember When Dolly Parton Feuded With Howard Stern? | https://tasteofcountry.com/dolly-parton-howard-stern-feud/

I was listening back then, and remember a little stink about it I think?, but that was only from Howards side, and I'd take Dolly's position over Howards any day.

Yeah Dolly Parton is pretty much the nicest woman on the planet, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a single bad word about her.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
There were even lawsuits floated, but Stern apologized on the air and they never played it again. After that they only chopped up the audiobooks of staff and friends of the show.

I think the two specific ones that set them off were her saying "Kenny Rodgers' beard smells like boy cum" and of course "God drat I love ni**er cock!"

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The Jay Leno and Ed McMahon ones were my faaavorite

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I mean its clearly parody and no court in the country would have heard the case of Parton vs Stern

I think Evil Dave was much more liability then an audio book chopped up that you can clearly hear is a parody.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Oh yeah, it would be super hard to win that case, but it would have burned cash and definitely would not have looked good for Stern. I think that was the same year he gave the infamous speech where he asked the staff to start kissing up to A listers.

The funny thing about Evil Dave is if you listen to his first couple of years on the show, they actually called him David Letterman or Dave. After that they made sure he was called "Evil Dave" to the point that Howard would correct anyone that just said Dave. Clearly word got back that Letterman or his staff were pissed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how evil Dave wasn’t doing an impersonation

That’s just how he talked

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

How about when Evil Dave said he'd record a voicemail greeting for Artie and then right after he finished he turned to Artie and said "You know, I usually get $50 for this." Pretty sure Artie gave him the money too lol

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

haljordan posted:

How about when Evil Dave said he'd record a voicemail greeting for Artie and then right after he finished he turned to Artie and said "You know, I usually get $50 for this." Pretty sure Artie gave him the money too lol

I love this story.

Has anyone ever successfully sued the show? There have been a number of lawsuits but I’ve never heard of any of them coming to anything.

I remember the last time Cabbie appeared on the show he was hawking some shady weight loss drug. He was fat as hell and they goofed on him throughout the appearance. Then the next day the owner of the weight loss drug said they were suing the show for disparaging the product. Cabbie was banned from the show after that and nothing about it was ever mentioned again.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Two Kings posted:

I love this story.

Has anyone ever successfully sued the show? There have been a number of lawsuits but I’ve never heard of any of them coming to anything.

I remember the last time Cabbie appeared on the show he was hawking some shady weight loss drug. He was fat as hell and they goofed on him throughout the appearance. Then the next day the owner of the weight loss drug said they were suing the show for disparaging the product. Cabbie was banned from the show after that and nothing about it was ever mentioned again.

That was clearly such a worthless lawsuit strictly for publicity that I bet it took Howard's lawyers all of 20 minutes to deal with (if any paperwork was even actually filed with the court by the diet pill company). Didn't a bunch of interns sue the station over not getting paid? That's about all I can think of.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 3, 2023

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

haljordan posted:

May he RIP. I'm endlessly fascinated by that guy, from his complete inability to read to being blown away by potato chips and orange juice well into his 60's to having to sneak out of his house and use a flashlight to flag a ride to a local radio studio to record his bits. His mispronunciations are some of the hardest I've laughed at the show (ski-pipe for Skype is my favorite). One of a kind.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

euphronius posted:

I love how evil Dave wasn’t doing an impersonation

That’s just how he talked

Well, not quite; you can hear his regular voice when he's just a normal guest on the show, like for the Newlyweird game or whatever it's called, if you can stomach rewatching it ("You laugh or you get it, right Artie?"). I think even him eating (paint) chips showcases his regular voice.

Don't get me wrong, it's very close, but his normal voice always sounded calmer and quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
His natural voice was very close, but when he was Evil Dave he would mimic some of Dave's mannerisms and stuff. As dumb as he was and while he didn't need to change his voice, his Dave impression was uncanny.