Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

Yes and yes. Fuckin nightmare.

"What we got didn't live long. Fortunately."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tales from the Darkside was an anthology horror TV show that was a massive mixed bag of quality. Even as a kid, there were some episodes that were incredibly stupid, or had a really dumb twist, or just weren't scary. But some episodes absolutely terrified me, including:

An episode where a college student moves into a new room and there's a monster that lives in a little miniature room that she can't open. My grandmother had a tiny door like that in her attic and I became convinced a similar monster lived in there.

A kid invents a vacuum cleaner thing that can suck up noise, but then it goes haywire and starts suffocating people so they don't make noise any more. I'm sure this one is more stupid than anything else, but at 7 or 8 years old it felt like a terrifying way to die.

An old man dies but doesn't realize it and digs himself out of his own grave and comes home. Throughout the episode he starts slowly rotting away while the family pleads with him to go back into his grave, but he just keeps insisting he's still alive. At the end of the episode a kid sneaks pepper into his food, the old man sneezes, and his nose falls off so he finally admits he's dead. I was really scared of the concept of death as a kid and the idea that I could wander around as an undead, rotting thing just made that even more complicated and scary for me.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Was it tales from the Crypt or Darkside that had the mummy coming back to life and pulling the dudes brain out his nose?

That episode hosed me up good, I had nightmares related to it for years that were all about gaping skull wounds, brains leaking, and monsters that would hunt you indefinitely.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Slothful Bong posted:

Was it tales from the Crypt or Darkside that had the mummy coming back to life and pulling the dudes brain out his nose?

That episode hosed me up good, I had nightmares related to it for years that were all about gaping skull wounds, brains leaking, and monsters that would hunt you indefinitely.

That was the Tales from the Darkside movie, which is really good.

We didn't have cable growing up so I could only see Tales from the Crypt in the edited for Fox versions that aired. But that was still enough for me. I got freaked out during the opening credits (when the Cryptkeeper popped out and laughed). I only remember watching one full episode - a guy goes to a costume party, meets a woman, takes her home and falls in love. But the whole time she's wearing her mask from the party. The guy gets frustrated and ends up trying to rip it off and - shock of shocks - it's her real face. That was enough for me as a kid but then the real terror started - he tries to run away only to find a hidden room full of sliced off faces from guys who tried to take off her mask.

As an adult that's still a pretty solid episode but as a kid? Pure nightmare fuel between the guy trying to rip off her face and then all the skinned faces hanging up later.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I don't know what movie prompted it, but I remember being 6 or 7 and seeing something where a creature grabbed someones ankle from under the bed. I would get only as close to the bed as necessary and jump from a distance for a few years.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I watched way too much of that stuff on the scifi channel after we got cable. Even the intro to Tales from the Darkside put me on edge. Night Gallery is also spotty in a different way, but some of them hold up extremely well and are really creepy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Apprentice Dick posted:

I don't know what movie prompted it, but I remember being 6 or 7 and seeing something where a creature grabbed someones ankle from under the bed. I would get only as close to the bed as necessary and jump from a distance for a few years.

I don't know about a creature, but in Pet Cemetary the zombie kid slashes the old guys achilles from under the bed.

"Nah, Nah, you nevah bury a person in tha Pet Cemetary!"

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The bike kid scene from Toxic Avenger. They made action figures and a cartoon out of the movie, so it had to be child friendly, right? https://youtu.be/8_ezLVkoU2k

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

sticksy posted:

I have 9 year old twins and am now wrestling with what badass/scary movies from my childhood to let them watch and when. My parents growing up were pretty strict when it came to R rated and horror movies but I still managed to watch a decent amount in my later teens at my buddy’s house.

I feel like our kids wouldn’t be hit as hard by some of what we saw then as they’re old and the effects etc probably seem cheesier compared to what they’ve now used to, plus my son already knows all of the swear words from school.

Any suggestions of cool stuff they might like?
Common Sense Media is awesome. It's probably a little on the conservative side.
https://www.commonsensemedia.org/

I have the same age kid and have been trying to figure out when they can see stuff from my childhood, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, things like that. I feel like she needs another year or two. We started Raiders and the snakes stuff was too much.These landed well but they're all tame: Hocus Pocus, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Batteries Not Included, and even Ghostbusters. Surprisingly The Princess Bride didn't really click with her.

Not from my childhood but she loved the How to Train your Dragon movies. They are done super well and you can enjoy them too. There's a whole series with the same voice actors too which looks basically the same. It's a fine line with the scarier stuff cause they want the thrill but you don't want the stuff that'll give them nightmares and every kid is different.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I know I saw both of these commercials exactly once on adult swim. Didn't know what a bong was so I thought that kid was drinking like a tiki cocktail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VChpS5-GNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCYDrur_WI

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
There was a commercial in the early 80s that showed a ceramic doll head being smashed by a baseball bat, and it always freaked me out. I've never been able to find it again though.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I saw Time Bandits in the theaters when it first came out and I found it baffling and disturbing, because I was 10.

Man, same, there was something just unsettlingly weird about that movie. Watched it about the same age and have never returned to it since.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

White Light posted:

Hit more into my teen years, but like half the drat movie from the '04 The Grudge cause loving hell that bitch just won't quit :cry:

I miss that time int he 00s when Japanese horror got popular it affected American horror, so a bunch of horror films came out that ended up not even having any type of good ending, it's just a curse that gets the characters no matter what. The horror is just knowing that there's no escape and you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop and sorta hoping the characters do somehow make it through (they don't).

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Apprentice Dick posted:

Scary Movie 2?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The clown in Poltergeist grabs the boy from under the bed iirc and it is absolutely scary as all get out. I wonder if that could be it? E: quick google- he grabs him from behind then drags him under the bed after the boy looks under the bed from the other side

Spielberg supposedly said ET was made from his dreams and Poltergeist his nightmares. If he did it definitely adds up to me. That is one scary rear end movie and I'm pretty sure I saw it as a young teen.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 3, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh poo poo yeah the tree in Poltergeist eating the kid stuck with me for a WHILE. It was gooooooey, ewwwwww. Which is actually like, a thing from old spiritualism of the late 1800s, that ghosts emit slime (it's ectoplasm).

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

The hobbling in Misery
Gardner's dead head in Jaws

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

redshirt posted:

I don't know about a creature, but in Pet Cemetary the zombie kid slashes the old guys achilles from under the bed.

"Nah, Nah, you nevah bury a person in tha Pet Cemetary!"

gently caress I just looked this up and it was this scene. I have a warped sense of not being scared from horror movies due to grandma letting me watch a ton with her, but somehow I just had a flashback to being a scared kid again.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The guy's ball getting blown off in The Big Red One.

Or it may have been the Guns of Navarone.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
people keep mentioning Poltergeist but what hosed me up was the guy ripping his own face off

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I guess this is the relive your childhood trauma thread. My mom was weirded out by some episode of an anthology show. It was about a woman that gets a phone call with a muffled voice that she doesn't understand. Twist: the call was from herself in the future. Does anyone remember what that was?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poltergeist was legit scary, and wasn't it rated PG?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yep PG.

It had a ton of depth too. Even though everyone knew there was too much movie left for the haunting to be done the rebirth scene of the mom and daughter was super well done. The acting was all top notch too. But the scary stuff was so good.

Montague Tigg posted:

people keep mentioning Poltergeist but what hosed me up was the guy ripping his own face off

Legit disturbing for anyone of any age, especially in 82

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Demolition Man really made me hate fountain pens

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The bedroom scene in Communion where the alien peeks around the dresser. Spooked me out for months and still gives me chills all these years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWrvhF1HvA

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

AvesPKS posted:

There was a commercial in the early 80s that showed a ceramic doll head being smashed by a baseball bat, and it always freaked me out. I've never been able to find it again though.

Deep Red, maybe? Check 40 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWILXLLUuGQ

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the bangalore scene from The Big Red One

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything from Cannibal Holocaust.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything from Cannibal Holocaust.

who is watching Cannibal Holocaust at 7 years old

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Windows 98 posted:

who is watching Cannibal Holocaust at 7 years old

We all remember when it was too rainy to play outside, the teacher would roll out that TV cart and pop in Faces of Death II

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The movie Toy Soldiers has nothing to do with Toy Story or Small Soldiers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sticksy posted:

I have 9 year old twins and am now wrestling with what badass/scary movies from my childhood to let them watch and when. My parents growing up were pretty strict when it came to R rated and horror movies but I still managed to watch a decent amount in my later teens at my buddy’s house.

I feel like our kids wouldn’t be hit as hard by some of what we saw then as they’re old and the effects etc probably seem cheesier compared to what they’ve now used to, plus my son already knows all of the swear words from school.

Any suggestions of cool stuff they might like?

Whatever you choose, watch through it first to be sure. You'll be surprised at how much you don't remember.
I thought "hey, let's show the kids the animated Peter Pan but just skip all the racist stereotype parts" and the movie ended up being like 35 minutes long.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
My brother showed me Alien and Aliens when I was like 7 or 8 years old. I had nightmares for days.

I tried playing Alien: Isolation recently and it all came flooding back lol

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Black Noise posted:

The movie Toy Soldiers has nothing to do with Toy Story or Small Soldiers.

Great movie though, it was on TV often here and I saw it young with no problems

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads_(1984_film)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nowher posted:

My brother showed me Alien and Aliens when I was like 7 or 8 years old. I had nightmares for days.

I tried playing Alien: Isolation recently and it all came flooding back lol

They mostly come at night....

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A Fancy Hat posted:

Tales from the Darkside

The theme alone made me feel creeped the hell out when it came on at 3am or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mioevxb2CfA

Yeesh even now it still gets me

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

filmcynic posted:

Deep Red, maybe? Check 40 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWILXLLUuGQ

That's closer than anything I've seen so far. But this was more like a baseball bat smashing the head in slow motion. It almost felt like an anti drug commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

The Good Son with Macaulay Culkin and Elijah Wood. Evil Macaulay throws a huge rock off an overpass and causes a massive pileup, and then he blames it all on Mr. Frodo. I was like eight and remember feeling the terror of suddenly being trapped in something so much bigger and more serious than anything a kid is capable of processing. Like, in one second your life is irreparably changed and you can never go back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE1a372OPck

The podcast We Hate Movies has a hilarious ep on that movie, they mentioned it seems the Blues Brothers were using that freeway that day