Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/RoboBlandy/status/1682402076112846850?t=1RciJDZvif6qa9qfM18x9A&s=19

Caught this last night, it's like a more adult Tokusatsu flick. While I'd say it lingers a little too long it's undeniably a pretty looking film and obviously being a Japanese director it understands stylistic action in a way that Western directed live action anime stuff falls flat on. There's some very cool visuals and action scenes.

Decent, not amazing but if you're looking at watching a Kamen Rider film you probably know what you're getting anyway.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I watched it Friday, it reminded me a lot of his Cutie Honey (2004) movie which is also worth watching if you like that genre.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Already sold by Shinya tsukamoto showing up

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

duz posted:

I watched it Friday, it reminded me a lot of his Cutie Honey (2004) movie which is also worth watching if you like that genre.

They were both done by the same director, Hideoki Anno

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The 2004 Cutie Honey has one really great action scene at the start before sadly running out of steam (and budget, probably). Shin Kamen Rider also has one really great action scene, but then it has a second great action scene, and after another half dozen of those the credits roll and two hours have passed.

Maybe too long in the tooth at points (I'd probably have cut the scorpion women) but it's very good at what it does.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anybody watch that new Jackie Chan/John Cena Netflix movie Hidden Strike? Well if you haven't yet don't bother because unfortunately it's garbage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've been marathoning martial arts movies the past month or so - first Bruce Lee, then Jackie Chan, and now I've found my way to finally exploring the Shaw Brothers catalog, which I previously had almost no exposure to.

so far I've seen:

Come Drink With Me
The One-Armed Swordsman
Five Fingers of Death
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Shaolin Mantis
My Young Auntie

what are some other can't-miss ones? i've got Eight Diagram Pole Fighter on my list.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Five Elements Ninjas

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've been marathoning martial arts movies the past month or so - first Bruce Lee, then Jackie Chan, and now I've found my way to finally exploring the Shaw Brothers catalog, which I previously had almost no exposure to.

so far I've seen:

Come Drink With Me
The One-Armed Swordsman
Five Fingers of Death
Shaolin Mantis
My Young Auntie

what are some other can't-miss ones? i've got Eight Diagram Pole Fighter on my list.

I don't see Flying Guillotine.

I saw Eight Diagrom Pole Fighter randomly on TV, it loving ruled.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm gonna second the prior recommendations, then add Crippled Avengers and Heroes of the East.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so far I've seen:

Come Drink With Me
The One-Armed Swordsman
Five Fingers of Death
Shaolin Mantis
My Young Auntie

Heroes of the East (My favorite Shaw Bros film)
The Black Tavern
Crippled Avengers
Five Elements Ninjas
The Killer Constable
NEW One Armed Swordsman (I remember liking this one more than the original)
Executioners of Shaolin
Clan of the White Lotus
Boxer from Shantung
5 Deadly Venoms
Flying Guillotine I + II
Battle Wizard
The Duel
Golden Swallow (Sequel to Come Drink With Me)

Not really martial arts but must watch:
Super Inframan
Boxer's Omen

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Five Elements Ninjas

This was my suggestion. It's the perfect, archetypal, platonic ideal of the completely bonkers kung fu film, the same way You Only Live Twice is for Bond films.

Masked Avengers is super weirdly paced (a lot of them are) but has an insanely impressive final fight. Crazily intricate choreography involving five antagonists on two sides. It's intricacy reminds you why so many movies just pair off one goody with one baddy.

One I rarely see mentioned but which I loved was Supreme Swordsman. Aside from simply being a very solid movie in its own right, well structured and plotted for the genre, it gets really creative in its fights. It has one of the coolest ideas I've seen just pop up for one minor character and simply vanish.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Holy Flame of the Martial World

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schwarzwald posted:

Holy Flame of the Martial World

, Batman!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thank you for all of these recommendations 🥋

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lobok posted:

, Batman!

The movie does feature a "bat man" in the character of Dracula, who is unable to communicate with any of the other characters because he doesn't speak Mandarin.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've seen that one and gave it a decent LB score but I don't remember it that well, other than there's a part where someone gets turned into a skeleton.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Anybody watch that new Jackie Chan/John Cena Netflix movie Hidden Strike? Well if you haven't yet don't bother because unfortunately it's garbage.

It was actually filmed in 2018 and wasn't released till now

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Don't sleep on the actual Flying Guillotine 2 from Shaw Bros., Palace Carnage. Fun stuff and I really like the big long fight at the end in the palace. Try to go in completely blind so you can be blown away by the new version of the flying guillotine lol

Holy Flame and Five Element(s) Ninja were the two I was going to say and I'm glad they were already mentioned. Basically flawless cinema.

One I don't see mentioned much is Duel to the Death (1983).

Beautifully shot flick about how the most prestigous Chinese and Japanese masters periodically send a champion swordman out to duel each other. But there's a lot of great treachery and hijinks before we get there including some absurd ninja action. Well worth a watch!

drhermes
Oct 2, 2021

by vyelkin
Diehard fan of Nora Miao and Angela Mao, so I'd suggest THE INVINCIBLE EIGHT and THE BLADE SPARES NONE.
Also, when you were watching Bruce Lee, did you catch A WARRIOR'S JOURNEY by John Little. It has all the known footage of Bruce's unfinished GAME OF DEATH. (Much more complete and not hacked up like that 1978 patch job of the same title.) I found it on the anniversary edition of ENTER THE DRAGON.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Schwarzwald posted:

The movie does feature a "bat man" in the character of Dracula, who is unable to communicate with any of the other characters because he doesn't speak Mandarin.

I THINK IT'S TIME WE DID SOMETHING ABOUT THE BLOOD SUCKING CLAN. (20 minutes of the raddest poo poo ever ensues)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Flying Guillotine 2 from Shaw Bros., Palace Carnage.

That's just an alternate name for the same movie as far as I can tell

e: Duel to the Death is great but it's not a Shaw Bros film. It's Golden Harvest!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If any of you are readers or like listening to audio books, I have to give a strong shout-out to The Last Action Heroes: The Triumphs, Flops, and Feuds of Hollywood's Kings of Carnage by Nick de Semlyen.

It follows the early lives and careers of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, JCVD, Dolph Lundgren, Seagal, and Bruce Willis. Thread regulars have probably seen all of the movies covered (there's a couple of Norris movies I haven't seen). The portrayals are human and doesn't shy away from their infedelities, failures, as well as the xenophobic, facist or other problematic ideas their films portray. But it also shares the cultural phenomenom these guys created with their personas, the joy of watching their films, and how most of them are charming guys despite everything.

The audiobook is read by Bronson Pinchot, and he does a great job.

I heard about it from The Action Boyz podcast, and it's been one of my favorite reads of the year. If it doesn't give you any new movies, it'll excite you to rewatch one of your favorites.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

If any of you are readers or like listening to audio books, I have to give a strong shout-out to The Last Action Heroes: The Triumphs, Flops, and Feuds of Hollywood's Kings of Carnage by Nick de Semlyen.

It follows the early lives and careers of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, JCVD, Dolph Lundgren, Seagal, and Bruce Willis. Thread regulars have probably seen all of the movies covered (there's a couple of Norris movies I haven't seen). The portrayals are human and doesn't shy away from their infedelities, failures, as well as the xenophobic, facist or other problematic ideas their films portray. But it also shares the cultural phenomenom these guys created with their personas, the joy of watching their films, and how most of them are charming guys despite everything.

I heard about it from The Action Boyz podcast, and it's been one of my favorite reads of the year. If it doesn't give you any new movies, it'll excite you to rewatch one of your favorites.

I have this out from the library right now, very stoked to read it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

What an utterly bizarre choice. Glad to hear he nails it though.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Snowman_McK posted:

What an utterly bizarre choice. Glad to hear he nails it though.

Oh Pinchot is a prolific audiobook narrator and he's loving GREAT at it. He's done like four hundred of them on Audible alone.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m 2 hours in the audiobook. I knew none of this info.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Basebf555 posted:

Just saw this. The plot makes zero sense but there's a funny fight scene where Jackie Chan fights a guy while covered in foam. Also John Cena really trying to speak Mandarin.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
There's kinda like a reason it was filmed in like 2019 and disapeared altogether until it magically showed up as netflix #1 movie!!

It's not even dumb fun. just a whole mess of stuff all jammed together. The OSHA fight scene was like the only thing worth remembering

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
is there even a good Netflix-only action movie? I haven't seen the big ones they've been pushing out of all the negative reviews like Red Notice. I liked Polar though, that was pretty neat, but I'd eat up anything Mads shows up in.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lily Catts posted:

is there even a good Netflix-only action movie? I haven't seen the big ones they've been pushing out of all the negative reviews like Red Notice. I liked Polar though, that was pretty neat, but I'd eat up anything Mads shows up in.

The two Extraction movies with Hemsworth are good. This thread was talking about the second one not too long ago, in fact.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

Army Of The Dead

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

well why not posted:

Army Of The Dead

Good not “good”.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Lost Bullet 1 and 2, Night In Paradise, Day Shift were also pretty good.

E I don't know if you'd count a submarine movie as action, but The Wolf's Call was good. Also I don't know if Athena counts as action, but it was pretty good.

E2 does RRR count as Netflix only? Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning? The Night Comes For Us? These are all killers.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 22, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Going off the Wikipedia list, there's fewer than I thought.

Night comes for us, Extraction, Kate, Carter, and Extraction 2 are all Ive seen that are decent when I sort by action.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_Netflix_original_films

I expected stuff like Kill Boksoon to be there but it's probably a different type of partnership? Now im really curious how NCFU got made so early in the Netflix original lineup when it stands out so much. It doesn't have a Netflix feel

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
The Old Guard is pretty good for a superhero movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Night Comes for Us is "technically" a Netflix action movie and blows the loving doors off everything else on there if you can handle the horror aspects.

edit: well I guess I missed the op above me saying the same thing, basically.

Army of the Dead isn't an action movie although it has a few action scenes that are well done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had no idea The Night Comes For Us was considered a "Netflix Movie". If that's really true then yea it's far and away the best of the bunch.

After that it's all varying levels of mediocrity with a few mixed in there that are legitimately terrible(Red Notice I'm looking at you). The Extraction movies and The Old Guard are certainly watchable, with the standards we're working with here that puts them close to the top.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I refuse to believe that any human has intentionally watched Red Notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Old Guard being close to the top of anything is pretty sad