Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
We must secure backward compatibility of our Nintendo and a future for all gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Morpheus posted:

The only good loading screens are the ones from old RPGs that tell you to insert the next CD.

BUT DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE FIRST ONE OUT

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
old RPGs huh
https://thqnordic.com/article/gothic-classic-coming-nintendo-switch-september-2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

:O

Absolutely fell in love with that game, byzantine control scheme and hostile world and all. Exploring in Gothic was fun, the world wanted you to die but you might enter a dark cave, sneak past a nightmare creature that could tear you to shreds, and find an herb that would permanently increase your stats, but you had to earn it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hatty posted:

The big bottle neck for Switch loading times is the weak CPU I thought? The Steam Deck has SD card expansion and loading time are pretty zippy on there I hear

The extra loading from the SD card isn't even noticeable unless it's something specific and streaming in a ton of assets like that new Ratchet and Clank game, which just hangs if you have it installed on the microSD. For the most part it doesn't really matter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like loading screens that have cool concept art or little dongles you can play with, like how the Fire Emblems on the Switch have a little sprite that runs back and forth as you tilt the controller, and jumps if you press a button.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like loading screens that have cool concept art or little dongles you can play with, like how the Fire Emblems on the Switch have a little sprite that runs back and forth as you tilt the controller, and jumps if you press a button.

The best to ever do it. Although the guy who uploaded these doesn't do it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFX3HtInHqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-odllWYE97Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuwULrt8cXY

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
SSDs are cool but if that's the best that the current gen of consoles have to offer...meh.

It'd be cool if that extra power was used for more complex game mechanics and stuff since graphics are kinda hitting a plateau, but it seems all that kinda stuff is better explored in indies anyway.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just hope the screen is still 720p for the sake of BC and battery life

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm autistic and I don't understand why graphics can't get any better than they are right now

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m also autistic and don’t see why they need to. There are already too many graphics imo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They definitely can, but the time and effort required to create those assets is huge and none of it makes a game any better.

We still aren't at the level of big blockbuster CGI, but the horsepower to render that poo poo in real time doesn't exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I'm autistic and I don't understand why graphics can't get any better than they are right now

Graphics can always get better but we're at a point now where the changes are not going to be as huge and dramatic as they were with previous console shifts. You'll get more detail or better lighting or so-on but it isn't going to be like how you were from PS1 graphics to PS2 graphics or whatnot.

Even beyond that it just runs into the problem of cost. This poo poo is expensive to make and anything less than an absolutely assured no-risk hit can't really afford to go that hard. Even if the technology is there it doesn't mean the budget is there. "top of the line" graphics are basically reserved exclusively for a small number of studios these days because it's the only way to make it cost effective. And honestly the costs are probably below where they should be because lord knows video game voice actors/programmers/designers/etc all tend to get extremely hosed on pay.

(The industry as a whole also tends to respond extremely negatively towards budget-saving measures, like how TotK had people saying it was a lazy DLC because it used the same map or how people are upset that Spider-Man has animations in common with Spider-Man from the last game, and while it doesn't matter a ton it does mean companies also waste money reinventing the wheel to avoid the illusion of being 'lazy.')

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 3, 2023

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I don't think every game needs ray tracing :shrug:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

sigher posted:

They definitely can, but the time and effort required to create those assets is huge and none of it makes a game any better.

Yeah I'd rather they spend the resources making the game better rather than just having more dynamic horse balls and sweat or horse ball sweat or whatever's hot this year

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The other day I saw someone saying how cool it would be to have a Zelda with realistic graphics and I almost threw up

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The other day I saw someone saying how cool it would be to have a Zelda with realistic graphics and I almost threw up

The series would really be improved by detailed Mortal Kombat internal injury scenes and viscera spray every time you stab a bokoblin

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ftw!!!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

AW2 is a step up, but if that's where you're at, I recommend seeing it through. You've got like 5 maps left and two of those are some of my personal favorites.

Thanks for this. I decided to power through. Just got off my flight and I just got to the final mission as we touched down and will leave that for my next trip. The last couple missions were good and a nice step up from some of the earlier ones!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Any Tiny Thor opinions?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

SSDs are cool but if that's the best that the current gen of consoles have to offer...meh.

It'd be cool if that extra power was used for more complex game mechanics and stuff since graphics are kinda hitting a plateau, but it seems all that kinda stuff is better explored in indies anyway.
I mean, faster loading does allow for certain things to work better, and can enable mechanics/design that might have been harder before due to loading in assets too slowly.

Meowywitch posted:

i mean, they can, but its expensive and time consuming to making things increasingly "better"

also "better" usually just means higher-fidelity, like, more realistic looking or higher in detail.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone have an animal crossing island my kids can visit? How does that even work?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Anyone have an animal crossing island my kids can visit? How does that even work?

Ask a mod for help with this one

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Ask a mod for help with this one

:drat:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DA-1679-0105-9323

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

American McGay posted:

Lol just lol if you own a PS5 though.

Fainaru Fantaji 16 is good tho

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Fainaru Fantaji 16 is good tho
You sure about that?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its pretty good a solid 8.8 imo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ridge Racer had the best loading screen

https://youtu.be/PGCmzBhNJv0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

American McGay posted:

You sure about that?

Yeah

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The remaining friendly island residents in the megathread will help you out, yes yes

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913280

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I have all the different types of fruit on my island. I haven't been to my island in 2 weeks and I'm sure the weeds have overgrown but it's also free-digging for fossils since my museum has all of them and I can dump duplicates on the lawn to pick up.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

If you want a "real" visit where you can buy and take home items, it'll be hard to find that because the hosts have to be online and their Switch needs to be running AC and actively hosting it, and few people are doing it now. But if they just want to SEE pretty towns, without being able to take home anything other than custom patterns, there's a separate mechanic for that, Dream Codes or something like that. I don't know if anyone's made a centralized index of dream codes, but if you search Youtube for something like "prettiest Animal Crossing towns", you'll get Youtubers taking tours of several towns and possibly giving out the dream codes of each.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bit of an update on the Aspyr/ KOTOR 2 on Switch saga, they were giving out codes to anyone who bought it for a free game since they hosed up the DLC/bug fixes. i got in touch and asked for a code for Star Wars Force Unleashed on Switch cos I have a lot of their other games already.
they sent me a code for the game and i activated it but it turns out they sent me a switch for all of their games:

not bad

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

flavor.flv posted:

Ridge Racer had the best loading screen

https://youtu.be/PGCmzBhNJv0

And then Sony or Namco patented loading screen games, so no one else can do it. Same with WB and the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. Such wasted potential.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

American McGay posted:

You sure about that?

Yeah, it rules. Regular fights are easy but flashy, big enemies are tough but fun. Story is great, voice acting is great, graphics are also pretty great. Not sure if it’s worth getting a PS5 for but the other games I’ve played for PS5 have also been good (Horizon Forbidden West + DLC, Stranger if Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, Miles Morales)

I play my Switch way more but still

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I generally play my PS5 more but I'm playing my Switch at work rn so

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

sigher posted:

We still aren't at the level of big blockbuster CGI, but the horsepower to render that poo poo in real time doesn't exist.

Blockbuster CGI will often take hours or days to render a single frame in a sequence.

The exception to this is unreal engine which is seeing a lot more use in film these days but that is a recent phenomenon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mega64 posted:

I mean SSDs are a pretty huge advancement in terms of allowing for more complex game mechanics. just look at the gameplay of Spiderman 2 and how much faster the web swinging is than it was in the PS4 Spider-Man.
Nintendo is always thinking about new tech in terms of how it could affect gameplay so they'd probably do some sick stuff with an SSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Augus posted:

I mean SSDs are a pretty huge advancement in terms of allowing for more complex game mechanics. just look at the gameplay of Spiderman 2 and how much faster the web swinging is than it was in the PS4 Spider-Man.
Nintendo is always thinking about new tech in terms of how it could affect gameplay so they'd probably do some sick stuff with an SSD
Doesnt switch already use SSD? No spinning plates in my handheld. Idk if any nintendo system has had a spinny hard drive.

EDIT: oh SD vs SSD? I'll read up on it I think.