Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think because there’s bipartisan criticism. The right is criticizing because they want to make the left look bad, but the left is also criticizing because we could have someone with a future in that seat instead of a fossil. If this were a potentially contested seat I think you’d see the left be a bit more tight lipped, but that seat is going blue no matter what. It’s a seat where we out to have someone relatively young and energetic because we can take a little bit more of a risk there than other places.

I mean, Politico intentionally put an inflammatory article out there capitalizing on the general public's misunderstanding of "Power of Atty." vs "conservatorship". I haven't seen, though that may just be due to media bubbles, very much about, say, Mitch McConnell displaying bizarre stroke like symptoms before the assembled Capitol press corps last week.

FizFashizzle posted:

Most wealthy people with good healthcare go on donepezil once they hit their mid to late sixties. It’s an easy drug to dose and manage with very few side effects (sometimes gi stuff, sometimes make you trip balls while sleeping) so PCP will prescribe it if asked, even if there is no indication. Especially these concierge primaries who just give their patients whatever they want so they can focus on their golf game.

Donepezil is only indicated for Alzheimer’s dementia, has a very modest benefit (like a 7% improvement in screening), only slows down progression and only in early stages. It’s not regenerative. (That’ll be shrooms but we def don’t want Feinstein on those at this point.) it also has no benefit after like 3-5 years and it’s the first thing I take LTC patients off of.

I cannot tell you how many patients I’ve had who are completely with it and have been on donepezil for 10+ years.

“The right” should probably shut their mouths with Mitch McConnell heading for an on camera M1

That article cites a paywalled article, but I don't think they would say what kinds of drugs were being dispensed ever. You'd know more than me of course, but wouldn't a pharmacist know that about that particular drug, and surely that's not the only drug prescribed for Alzheimers?

This is just a question arisng from my own curiosity and not challenging you or anything but I thought they couldn't identify the specific cause of dementia until a post-mortem, or is all dementia assumed to be Alzheimer's unless proven otherwise?

Main Paineframe posted:

Not really, because political campaign expenditures are highly regulated. It's actually very difficult for a candidate to divert campaign donations to their own pockets without bringing the FEC down on them. There are far easier ways to enrich yourself than running a no-hope campaign.

There's definitely another solution: voters could have ousted her in 2018, and will have another chance to oust her in 2024 if they think she's too old. It's not like this is an RBG situation where someone's clinging to a lifetime appointment till the day they die. She goes up for reelection every six years, and if her constituents think she's too old for the job, they can oust her regardless of what she wants.

In 2018, California voters chose an 85-year-old woman for another six-year term as senator, and it wasn't even all that close.. There was another Democrat running who was much younger (and, in fact, there wasn't even a Republican in the general election at all), but she handily defeated a Dem challenger more than thirty years her junior. Her age didn't seem to be on voters' minds back then.

She's already ruled out '24 and absent a time-machine and a very good Democratic primary campaign staff, there is no solution.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

FizFashizzle posted:

“The right” should probably shut their mouths with Mitch McConnell heading for an on camera M1

Since when was hypocrisy not to be expected from them?

Edit: I do agree there’s no real solution though. Except as a case study on why to think twice about nominating people clearly already in a decline to a 6 year term.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Typically if you wanted to make a quick buck running for president, you'd run a bare bones campaign but still big enough that you can have events in the big states, run in a primary rather than a third party to be a viable horse in the horse race the media actually pays attention to (a longshot campaign in the primary will get way more attention than running for the Communist Party of America (Anti-Revisionist Hoxhaist)), and spend the whole time promoting your new book about what's wrong with America or making friends with people who can get you into a profitable public speaking gig after the primary.

So, more Marianne Williamson than what West is doing, but also gently caress if I know how this poo poo actually works, I never ran for president.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

burnishedfume posted:

I never ran for president.

Be the change you want to see in the world, friend :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ex post facho posted:

How can you take the democrats supposed commitment to abortion rights seriously when they're still endorsing this piece of poo poo?

It's the corollary of rotating villain theory, the rotating manchin theory- you have to support the worst person who is still technically on your side, whoever that is at the time. When you're down by 3 in the house going into an election, you scrabble for the garbage incumbents because he might actually make the difference in house leadership which has enormous implications for the next two years

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

haveblue posted:

It's the corollary of rotating villain theory, the rotating manchin theory- you have to support the worst person who is still technically on your side, whoever that is at the time. When you're down by 3 in the house going into an election, you scrabble for the garbage incumbents because he might actually make the difference in house leadership which has enormous implications for the next two years

Except this is a safely blue district, isn’t it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rappaport posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world, friend :unsmith:

Unless C.U.M. unification happens, my campaign would be too short and instantly disqualified for me to get much data from :canada:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

That article cites a paywalled article, but I don't think they would say what kinds of drugs were being dispensed ever. You'd know more than me of course, but wouldn't a pharmacist know that about that particular drug, and surely that's not the only drug prescribed for Alzheimers?

The main class of medications for Alzheimer’s dementia are called cholinesterase inhibitors. Donepezil is the most effective one and pretty much any trial. There’s also another one called rustic mean which I never really use that much. Patient in tolerate it as well. There’s also different forms of these, the most well-known being called Exelon, which is a patch. If patients don’t tolerate taking the pill due to G.I. concerns or the sleep stuff is too bad, or they have trouble swallowing from something else, the patch is pretty good.

There’s another medication you see often called Namenda, which is an NMDA receptor antagonist. This only works when taken in conjunction with donepezil, and there is a combo form of the two pills. However, this is not a very effective medication and doesn’t work at all by itself.

Then, of course there’s that $45,000 a year infusion, which is less effective and than Donepezil and caused encephalitis in a third of the patients that received it in trials, and is based on atheory of Alzheimer’s that has never produced a med with single successful clinical trial. And the author of that theory is under fire for likely faking all her findings and there is a MASSIVE lawsuit percolating through the legal process.

After that, a lot of it is symptom management. Sometimes patients will have an improvement in their symptoms with something like atomoxetine, which is an SNRI, or other low doses of stimulating medications like methylphenidate. However, this is not actually improving their cognition so much as it’s treating apathy or depression, which are very common in Alzheimer’s dementia and can exacerbate symptoms.

quote:

This is just a question arisng from my own curiosity and not challenging you or anything but I thought they couldn't identify the specific cause of dementia until a post-mortem, or is all dementia assumed to be Alzheimer's unless proven otherwise?

Hippocampal asymmetry on MRI is a very sensitive radiographic finding for Alzheimer’s, but I told all my patients it didn’t change the diagnosis or treatment. LBD can sometimes be seen on MRI, and there are some muscle markers that can indicate a patient is in the “parkinsons +” group of disorders. Other types of dementia are diagnosed based on symptom presentation.

Alzheimer’s is a clinical diagnosis based on interviews with the family and patient.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 3, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Safely blue state, senators don't have districts.

Kevin De Leon might have run against her last time but once the jungle primary was over and he'd secured the 2nd place slot he barely campaigned at all. It clearly wasn't a serious challenge.

And in any case it turns out he's a racist dipshit, so maybe a bullet was dodged there?

edit: oh this was about the anti-abortion guy, I got two convos mixed up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

It's not a conspiracy it's politics.

Well, it's hard to say if the Texas border districts are safe or not these days. He's won handily in the last two generals at least.

TX-28 is tricky. It's been contested in the primary by a Justice Dem, Jessica Cisneros, in the last two cycles, and she's come within a couple hundred votes of upsetting him each time. But she's severely handicapped in that she cannot run on her economic agenda because that district includes most of the Eagleford Shale, and thousands and thousands of O&G jobs in that district, so the Green New Deal is a non starter. I remember reading a post-mortem in 2020 about how her team couldn't even mention it while canvassing because it was so radioactive to the voters. It's a conservative district that votes Dem, but would they vote for a progressive Dem over a 10-term blue dog Dem, and is that a risk you want to take with razor thin House margins? And that's not even getting into RGV and border political idiosyncrasies at all.

I found that article, it wasn't a post-mortem I think I just read it post-mortem but anyway you can see how the primary issue down there is the oil and gas industry which automatically handicaps any progressive candidate down there.

FizFashizzle posted:

Then, of course there’s at $45,000 a year infusion, which is less effective and never sell, and caused encephalitis in a third of patients that received it in the trials, and is based on the theory of Alzheimer’s that has never produced a med with single successful clinical trial. And the author of this theory is under fire for likely faking all her findings.

If you'll suffer one more question, I read about this and the impression I got from the article was that beta amyloid plaque has been falsely implicated - I think by this very study - and pretty much all Alzheimer's treatment is aimed at beta amyloids and therefore we actually haven't been doing any good research towards treatments. Was that article, or my impression at least, mistaken, because I found that pretty disheartening.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 3, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It's a safe blue district (56.7% - 43.3% in 2022) and Cueller won the 2022 primary by <300 votes

Literally no reason for the poo poo bags like Pelosi to have supported him in 2022 but he has no real challenger now

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/prageru/status/1686785748094345217?t=yvmz-rNcvx6SHnjEWO3klA&s=19

Man, I hope there's a big asterisk hidden somewhere at the end of that statement.

So I fund and produce an Oregon-Trail like game about Climate Change, get a complete climate reference eBook into the game, have no ads, give it away, and I can't get into classrooms?

And that lying POS Prager (and Mike Huckabee) get their climate denying poo poo into classrooms?

WOW.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VideoGameVet posted:

So I fund and produce an Oregon-Trail like game about Climate Change, get a complete climate reference eBook into the game, have no ads, give it away, and I can't get into classrooms?

And that lying POS Prager (and Mike Huckabee) get their climate denying poo poo into classrooms?

WOW.

Next time try making a game about the glories of the Confederacy maybe. They'll make it mandatory.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The article says that it's a purple district, and that nobody is challenging him in the 2024 primary.

It also says that their current approach is a 180 from when he actually did have a challenger, as the article says that the national party leadership basically "abandoned" and "exiled" him in 2022, leaving him to fend for himself against Cisneros and several scandals.

It's pretty obvious why they'd suddenly be much more supportive of him now that he's not facing a primary challenge. If the House margin ends up slim and he decides to hold a grudge over 2022, he could absolutely Manchin the hell out of things, or even switch parties and back the GOP. He can win even without the national party's help, but the national party might very well have trouble holding the House without his help.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

If you'll suffer one more question, I read about this and the impression I got from the article was that beta amyloid plaque has been falsely implicated - I think by this very study - and pretty much all Alzheimer's treatment is aimed at beta amyloids and therefore we actually haven't been doing any good research towards treatments. Was that article, or my impression at least, mistaken, because I found that pretty disheartening.

You're correct. Nearly 20 years and untold billions down the drain if accusations of fraud are correct. And based on the fact there hasn't been a single effective trial of a drug based on this hypothesis.....yeah

quote:

A 6-month investigation by Science provided strong support for Schrag’s suspicions and raised questions about Lesné’s research. A leading independent image analyst and several top Alzheimer’s researchers—including George Perry of the University of Texas, San Antonio, and John Forsayeth of the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)—reviewed most of Schrag’s findings at Science’s request. They concurred with his overall conclusions, which cast doubt on hundreds of images, including more than 70 in Lesné’s papers. Some look like “shockingly blatant” examples of image tampering, says Donna Wilcock, an Alzheimer’s expert at the University of Kentucky.

The authors “appeared to have composed figures by piecing together parts of photos from different experiments,” says Elisabeth Bik, a molecular biologist and well-known forensic image consultant. “The obtained experimental results might not have been the desired results, and that data might have been changed to … better fit a hypothesis.”

https://www.science.org/content/article/potential-fabrication-research-images-threatens-key-theory-alzheimers-disease

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

You're correct. Nearly 20 years and untold billions down the drain if accusations of fraud are correct. And based on the fact there hasn't been a single effective trial of a drug based on this hypothesis.....yeah

https://www.science.org/content/article/potential-fabrication-research-images-threatens-key-theory-alzheimers-disease

Yeah that was a real downer. I guess the silver lining is that since we were barking up the wrong tree, maybe there are effective treatments out there.

Honestly between that and the general replicability crisis in the social sciences makes me wonder what we even actually know. As someone who has put a lot of faith in scientific methods in forming a world view it's depressing.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 3, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

koolkal posted:

It's a safe blue district (56.7% - 43.3% in 2022) and Cueller won the 2022 primary by <300 votes
Maybe it’s safely blue because Cuellar runs there. Joe Manchin won 60%-36% in 2012 but that didn’t make WV a safe blue Senate seat.

Like, the whole reason we’re talking about it is because Cuellar isn’t a normal Democrat, so I don’t think we can assume a normal Democrat would perform the same way. Cisneros was equally popular among the primary electorate but that doesn’t mean she’d be equally popular in the district.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 3, 2023

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

random question. There's a post that went around on Facebook about abortion from a pasture explaining why it's bullshit about protecting a fetus versus actually helping real people, and how it's a fake Christian statement. Does anyone have a link to it? Trying to bring it up to a friend.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Methodist Pastor David Barnhart posted:

"The unborn” are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thank you!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1687198419910275072

Big Boy's been arraigned (again). We'll see if he violates the gag order before five pm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Literally anyone else in the world with this many pending indictments would be denied bond

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I think we're all kind of hoping he flees the country tho

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Think about how happy both Trump and Steven Seagal would be to hang out with each other playing Guaidó in Russia.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He's going to Truth about it and then all the lawyers spend months arguing about whether a public broadcast is directed towards any witnesses in the case

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Maybe it’s safely blue because Cuellar runs there. Joe Manchin won 60%-36% in 2012 but that didn’t make WV a safe blue Senate seat.

Like, the whole reason we’re talking about it is because Cuellar isn’t a normal Democrat, so I don’t think we can assume a normal Democrat would perform the same way. Cisneros was equally popular among the primary electorate but that doesn’t mean she’d be equally popular in the district.

The Cuellar family is also very prominent in Laredo. Henry has been in government almost nonstop since he was first elected to the state legislature in 1987. His brother is the Webb County sheriff. His sister was a municipal judge and tax collector in Laredo. One public elementary school in Laredo is literally named after him. People in the area drat well know his name.

He's not unstoppable (his district isn't just Laredo, and Cisneros performed best in the parts of it farthest from Laredo), but that does produce a solid base for him regardless of partisanship.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

shimmy shimmy posted:

Sounds like the people of California made a pretty bad mistake and should feel bad about their choices. They elected a senile Senator, they're getting a senile Senator. Otherwise, where's the sanctity of the ballot box?

I agree with you for the most part, that was a bad choice by Californian's. Democrats should remove Senator Feinstein of all her committees because when she is doing work in those, she is holding up work for the whole country, not just specific work for California. That won't happen because of seniority and deference towards Senator Feinstein from the Democrats in the Senate.

zoux posted:

There is no sufficient response to the problem.

This is not the first, second, third, or nth time a senile senator has carried on past their sell-by date

It might be an interesting question to ask is why this particular case is getting such scrutiny. Likely just because they are doing a very bad job hiding it and it is in certain groups' interest to continuously promote the story.

I don't know that any democratically elected body anywhere on earth has ever had an upper bound on age. This is how all elected posts have always worked, blame the voters who keep electing cryptkeepers.

It's just getting scrutinized because it's very visible and had real consequences with the judiciary committee earlier this year. Senator McConnel should retire because of his health as well and his health is very much up for discussion because its visible like Senator Feinstein's.

They are the two most visible examples of a huge problem in our government with people staying in power for too long.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Big Boy's been arraigned (again). We'll see if he violates the gag order before five pm.

This will be fantastic in the event that Trump and Pence end up in a primary debate.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

gurragadon posted:

I agree with you for the most part, that was a bad choice by Californian's. Democrats should remove Senator Feinstein of all her committees because when she is doing work in those, she is holding up work for the whole country, not just specific work for California. That won't happen because of seniority and deference towards Senator Feinstein from the Democrats in the Senate.

It also won't happen because removing Feinstein from the judiciary committee would hold up even more work, since Democrats would no longer have a majority and wouldn't be able to replace her without Republican support.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I keep seeing ads on Instagram lately for a presidential political candidate saying something like “donate $1 and get $20 back”. Is that like actually legal? Sure sounds like bribery to me but at the same time I haven’t clicked the link to find out more, eg whether or not you get $20 or if it’s like $20 worth of buttcoins or whatever. I don’t even know who the candidate is by I remember there’s a picture of Biden on the ad so it’s a 50/50 chance it’s some shithead right wing fascist I guess.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't know if it's legal but it's probably some no name Republican trying to get enough individual donors to qualify for the debates?

edit: Doug Burgum

NPR posted:

Burgum's offer raises questions about money's role in U.S. politics and the ethics and legality of sending money to potential voters.

"My immediate reaction to this scheme is a concern that it violates the federal prohibition on straw donors," Michael S. Kang, a professor at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, told NPR.

"It's illegal to reimburse another person for their campaign contribution. Giving a donor a $20 gift card for donating seems a bit like that."

Crouse says that in her view, the practice might not be illegal, "but from my perspective, it's a bit unethical." Burgum isn't technically "buying" votes, she noted: "He is simply buying the right to compete."

The threshold for competing on the debate stage on Aug. 23 is set by the Republican National Committee, which hopes to winnow a wide field of 2024 presidential hopefuls down to a manageable group.

"Burgum is competing within the Republican primary and is just trying to game the debate qualification rules," Kang said, adding, "The scheme does test the limits of current law."

When contacted by NPR, a Federal Election Commission representative declined to comment on the legality of Burgum's offer, saying the agency "is unable to comment on specific activities, nor may we speculate on matters that may have the potential to come before the agency."

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 3, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Seeing that this is Trump I wonder how many warning he will get for every time he violates the gag order.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the_steve posted:

https://twitter.com/prageru/status/1686785748094345217?t=yvmz-rNcvx6SHnjEWO3klA&s=19

Man, I hope there's a big asterisk hidden somewhere at the end of that statement.

Last time they claimed this I couldn't find a drat thing to corroborate it. Seems like a weird thing to lie about but Prager are a bunch of weird liars, so...?

Fake edit: oh looks like Florida got around to making them an approved vendor https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...72fH2VqKgzUAWuK

which means teachers can use Prager material in the classroom but don't appear required to. Still very bad.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Elected officials who can't be removed from office due to not being capable of performing their role is bad for democracy. I think it's as simple as that. There needs to be a way to remove people who literally can't perform the job and have become a proxy for others to act through. No one elected their handlers, they elected the politician.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Elected officials who can't be removed from office due to not being capable of performing their role is bad for democracy. I think it's as simple as that. There needs to be a way to remove people who literally can't perform the job and have become a proxy for others to act through. No one elected their handlers, they elected the politician.

Which liberal democracy, either current or historical, would you recommend we look to for best practices?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

VikingofRock posted:

My solution to corporate ownership of housing is to jack up property tax rates, but then make your primary residence tax-free (up to some high value tied to inflation). It would mean restructuring how some local things are paid for, but that is very doable.

Politically I think it would work because most homeowners would get a pretty big tax break. And I personally don't think the extra taxes would get passed onto renters, because if the landlords could charge more, god knows they already would.

This definitely wouldn’t work on a state or federal level due to the percentage of home ownership. If it was specific for a medium/large city, maaaaybe? But then I feel like you’d end up with the rental market diminished and have a hosed city budget.

There’s probably some sweet spot to adjust taxes, but I think it would be far from primary residences being exempt from property taxes, since that’s a huge source of town/city budgets

Kalit fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 3, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

zoux posted:

Which liberal democracy, either current or historical, would you recommend we look to for best practices?

Why not innovate, this is the American Experiment after all.

They should solve this with congressional car pools. Everybody has to drive, in a rotation. If nobody is willing to ride with you three times in a term, you are removed and a special election is held. We can get fun with it, the stakes are so low, obviously, that if we let a situation this bad persist so long the solutions might as well be whimsical.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean there is a process that can be used, the body of government is just so incredibly polarized and scheming that it won’t be. I don’t know what process you could put in place that would actually get used while not having horrific potential for abuse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

Why not innovate, this is the American Experiment after all.

They should solve this with congressional car pools. Everybody has to drive, in a rotation. If nobody is willing to ride with you three times in a term, you are removed and a special election is held. We can get fun with it, the stakes are so low, obviously, that if we let a situation this bad persist so long the solutions might as well be whimsical.

We have to be careful though, this raises the risk of unlikely but heartwarming friendships forming over the course of a few quirky adventures that will last a lifetime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

zoux posted:

Oh no clue, I'm no expert. Though term limits would go a long way in the long term for having a younger healthy political body which isn't terribly radical or anything. I don't think I need a solution to point to a problem and think that it's bad for the long term health of the country.