Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cock and Balzac posted:

Could I get some Texhnolyze opinions?

Probably a decade ago I bounced off of the first episode. I seem to remember it being slow, light on dialogue, and generally not super clear about what was going on. Does it pick up much from there?

I'm intrigued by it, but also a little wary. The comparison I've heard most often is to Serial Experiments Lain, another show I haven't had any success getting into.

I would say it eventually gets coherent, but yeah it's intentionally difficult to follow because everything is presented in media res, without any narrated recap to explain what's going on. But the setting is self-consistent and eventually you get enough details to make sense of things.

One thing that might help is to know that it's a very-low-fantasy setting, but especially the beginning where things get surreal you could be misled into thinking there's a bunch of magical bullshit going on but nope it's all mundane reality viewed through a weirdness filter that's symbolic of drama/emotions/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Can I get recommendations for good anime I wouldn't be embarrassed to watch with my wife? I used to watch a ton of anime so I'm familiar with the classics, but haven't watched much in the last 2 decades. She's liked most things I've shared with her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What have you shared with her? Does she have any genre preferences at all?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

LLSix posted:

Can I get recommendations for good anime I wouldn't be embarrassed to watch with my wife? I used to watch a ton of anime so I'm familiar with the classics, but haven't watched much in the last 2 decades. She's liked most things I've shared with her.

I mean, this kinda depends on what your wife finds embarrassing...

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I watched Texhnolyze earlier this year. It's kind of the anime equivalent to an unsugared espresso -- I can't say I enjoyed the flavor, but I'm deeply glad I consumed it to the end. The first six episodes are the slowest and it does pick up from there, albeit not as much as more modern anime episodes where each episode comes with a new revelation or twist. It shares a lot in common with other early 2000s anime in that sense, when somber, pensive, multi-cour stretches were more prevalent.

I wouldn't say it has that much in common with Lain, beyond the fact that both feature character designs by ABe and the direction isn't afraid to include humming stretches of dialogue-less, soundtrack-less eeriness. What sets Texhnolyze apart from most anime is its final four (five?) episodes. They are brutal, uncompromising, and final in a way few anime dare to be. It's worth watching Texh for that last stretch of eps alone.

Some vague spoilers ahead: The world most of the show takes place in is in a perpetual state of violent upheaval. Assassinations, crime, and gang wars are an everyday occurrence, to the point where the Underground resembles more of a war zone than a city. You can count the number of likeable characters on three fingers, if that. You're drip-fed info about what life outside the Underground is like, where the wealthy and privileged reside. Eventually, our cast reaches the outside and it's true: they've eliminated all conflict and poverty. But it's the kind of nightmarish serenity that makes the absolute hell-hole that is the Underground look attractive in comparison.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LLSix posted:

Mononoke

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

^that's a good pick

LLSix posted:

Ping pong the animation
Mushishi

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Eizouken

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Odd taxi

This is fun genreless not embarrassing anime

The Antarctica one.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

LLSix posted:

A more recent anime that I would love to share with just about anyone is Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, which is about a former Yakuza member becoming an apprentice Rakugo theater performer in the postwar era (although much of the first season is a flashback to the life of his mentor during the ~1920s). It's not action-packed, but it's also not cutesey or childish or full of fanservice, just a well-written human drama with some great voice acting performances. 25 episodes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What sorts of things would embarrass you when watching with your wife?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Bongo Bill posted:

What sorts of things would embarrass you when watching with your wife?

strike witches

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ninjewtsu posted:

Ping pong the animation
Mushishi

These are extremely good, I'd also add Kino's Journey and Kaiba if you like the whole "the characters exist in a world full of magical / supernatural / weird poo poo and you get to figure out what's happening with them" experience that you get from something like Mononoke or Mushishi.

For something which is more grounded, Monster is pretty good but beware as it's 70 something episodes. It's the only anime I've ever watched which feels vaguely like a Western TV drama series; the fact that it's based in Germany helps but the overall pacing, storylines and character designs / art style generally convey that feeling as well.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Hey, looking for a recommendation of either an anime or manga, though preferably anime.

The genres I like are: sports (realistic ones), slice of life where there is some sort of endeavour (e.g. Eizouken, Bakuman), or seinen.

Stuff that I love:
Ping Pong
Baby Steps
Haikyuu
Real (manga)
Silver Spoon
Barakamon
Vinland Saga
Planetes
Golden Kamuy

Stuff that I like:
Hajime no ippo
Ao ashi
Chihayafuru
Shirobako
Hikaru no go
Supinamarada
The Great Passage
Run with the wind

Other stuff that I've seen. Ranging from "it's okay" to "hated" :
Bakuman
Bocchi the Rock
Eizouken (didn't finish)
Hyouka (didn't finish)
March comes in like a lion (didn't finish)
Sing yesterday to me (didn't finish)
Eyeshield 21(didn't finish)

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 22, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Run with the wind is a great realistic competitive running anime. In terms of Seinen, Monster (warning: 70ish episodes, it doesnt drag but its Long). For 'slice of life with a goal,' A Place Further than the Universe is a great drama/slice of life, Girlish number is a pretty cynical look at the anime voice acting industry, and Sakura Quest shares staff and is by the same studio as Shirobako and is about trying to get tourism going in a small town, so it's a neat look at a real problem facing rural Japanese areas, and has a similar vibe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Potentially Nodame Cantabile if you like classical music.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Run with the Wind and Nodame Cantabile are solid recs also work for the previous “what to watch with my wife” request, those two, Planetes and SpyxFamily seem more generally likable for non anime people

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I've seen and liked Run with the wind. I don't particularly like classical music but I might try Sakura Quest or girlish number (you had me at "cynical") even though I'm not a fan of the "cute girls doing cute things" genre

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fortunately, that genre isnt real :twisted:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

kiminewt posted:

Hey, looking for a recommendation of either an anime or manga, though preferably anime.

The genres I like are: sports (realistic ones), slice of life where there is some sort of endeavour (e.g. Eizouken, Bakuman), or seinen.

Stuff that I love:
Ping Pong
Baby Steps
Haikyuu
Real (manga)
Silver Spoon
Barakamon
Vinland Saga
Planetes
Golden Kamuy

Stuff that I like:
Hajime no ippo
Ao ashi
Chihayafuru
Shirobako
Hikaru no go
Supinamarada
The Great Passage
Run with the wind

Bakuman
Bocchi the Rock
Eizouken (didn't finish)
Hyouka (didn't finish)

Girls und Panzer

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

kiminewt posted:

Stuff that I love:
Ping Pong
Baby Steps
Haikyuu
Real (manga)
Silver Spoon
Barakamon
Vinland Saga
Planetes
Golden Kamuy

Stuff that I like:
Hajime no ippo
Ao ashi
Chihayafuru
Shirobako
Hikaru no go
Supinamarada
The Great Passage
Run with the wind

Bakuman
Bocchi the Rock
Eizouken (didn't finish)
Hyouka (didn't finish)

what about the bike racing one, i can't remember the name. I dropped it personally but some people seem to love it

you may like shinsekai yori
maybe Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 22, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tabletops posted:

what about the bike racing one, i can't remember the name. I dropped it personally but some people seem to love it

Yowamushi Pedal

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

LLSix posted:

Give Shirobako a whirl, it's one of my favorites from the 2010s. Depending on when your anime watching fell off, you may have missed Moribito which came out in 2007 iirc. And in general, ADTRW's yearly AOTY threads are a pretty great resource for finding fun titles you may have missed (you'll need to shell out :10bux: for archives if you want to see 2013 or earlier though).

kiminewt posted:

You really liked Barakamon, so check out the Usagi Drop anime. Just... don't read the manga. Don't even look it up. You could also check out Sweetness and Lightning, which has a similar vibe.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

symbolic posted:

Yowamushi Pedal

thanks thats the one

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I'm sort of a manga newbie, I just pounded through Berserk and Vinland Saga. I like OPM and most of anything on Toonami was pretty good.

I'm not really sure which manga to read through next. Im under the impression that most manga has lots of fan service or based in a high school (though steins;gate was real good).

I mostly read when I go to bed and I'd love a long series. Completed or near the end. I like character development, action and dark themes. But I like cuteness, there are adorable moments in both berserk and Vinland that I totally loved.

Based on my own googling, I might read Vagabond. One Piece seems pretty cool. I have a hard time reading through internet recommendations cause manga is hella broad and pretty fuckin horny sometimes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eat The Rich posted:

Im under the impression that most manga has lots of fan service or based in a high school (though steins;gate was real good).
Really incorrect. There's a ton of manga for basically all tastes, including stuff aimed at adult women, adult men who aren't into that kind of thing, etc. Even the most popular stuff usually isn't dominated by that kind of thing. People mostly talk about shonen stuff which is made to appeal to teenage/preteen boys, so obviously it has a lot of stuff like that, but it's not at all the majority. Can understand how you'd get that impression second hand, though.

For recommendations, the author of Vinland Saga has a previous manga, Planetes, about people who clean up debris in space in a near-future, space traveling society. its anime adaptation is more well known but the original manga's good. 4 volumes, complete.

Houseki no Kuni is a great series about a race of weird rock people and the mysterious surrounding their culture, what happened to humanity, what their future is, what their world is even like, etc. It's approaching the end, so depending on how fast you read it might be done by the time you catch up. Currently at 12 volumes.

Kingdom is long as gently caress and is a historical manga about the Warring States period of ancient china. It's not done yet but it's like 69 volumes so there's a lot to get through.

Golden Kamuy is a fun action thing with a good amount of goofy humor while still having stakes and heart, and pretty violent action scenes. It jumps around a lot of tones but balances it really well. Complete at 31 volumes.

Mob Psycho 100 is another manga by the same author as One Punch Man, and has a similar sense of humor but feels way more focused on character development and growth. It's complete at 17 volumes. Fair warning that it didn't get the Murata treatment One Punch Man did though, so the art's pretty rough. It's charming to me, but I could see it being a turnoff. If you're still interested but not into the manga's art, the anime is a good adaptation as well, and also adapts the whole story.

Dorohedoro is a dark action manga set in a semi-apocalyptic future, with a bunch of magic and demons, about a guy cursed with a lizard's head trying to figure out why he has a lizard's head. It's got a fun cast and some really gorgeous background art, and the protag bites guys heads off. Despite how grimy the setting and art are you get a real impression of how much characters care about each other, and there's some really funny bits. Complete at 23 volumes, one of my favorites.

Chainsaw Man's a really popular shonen manga going on rn, but it isn't set in high school or anything. The protag's horny, but mostly because he's trying to find something to fill the emptiness in him, you barely ever see anything and he mellows out as his character grows. Set in the modern day only demons go around killing basically everybody, the protagonist's just trying to keep a steady job as a demon hunter. Good cast and some really inventive art/sequences in places, and the author's a fan of american B movies so you get some neat shoutouts if you're into that kind of thing too. The 'first part' is complete and basically tells a complete story, (and ends at 11 volumes) but there's a second half ongoing.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Endorph posted:

Really incorrect. There's a ton of manga for basically all tastes, including stuff aimed at adult women, adult men who aren't into that kind of thing, etc. Even the most popular stuff usually isn't dominated by that kind of thing. People mostly talk about shonen stuff which is made to appeal to teenage/preteen boys, so obviously it has a lot of stuff like that, but it's not at all the majority. Can understand how you'd get that impression second hand, though.

I appreciate the insight. I really enjoy the manga I've read, moreso than than the many comics I've read. I'm glad to hear that I have the wrong opinion and I'll try to be less wary.

Thanks for the recs too. I've watched Planetes and it was great. I didn't realize it was the same guy as Vinland!!

I'll definitely look into the rest too!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eat The Rich posted:

I appreciate the insight. I really enjoy the manga I've read, moreso than than the many comics I've read. I'm glad to hear that I have the wrong opinion and I'll try to be less wary.

Thanks for the recs too. I've watched Planetes and it was great. I didn't realize it was the same guy as Vinland!!

I'll definitely look into the rest too!

20th Century Boys

Also rec the rest of that artists work.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

That Works posted:

20th Century Boys

Also rec the rest of that artists work.

Yeah Eat the Rich would probably like all of Naoki Urusawa's works, such as 20th Cebtury Boys, Monster, Pluto, and Billy Bat.

Will second Vagabond as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eat The Rich posted:

I'm sort of a manga newbie, I just pounded through Berserk and Vinland Saga. I like OPM and most of anything on Toonami was pretty good.

I'm not really sure which manga to read through next. Im under the impression that most manga has lots of fan service or based in a high school (though steins;gate was real good).

I mostly read when I go to bed and I'd love a long series. Completed or near the end. I like character development, action and dark themes. But I like cuteness, there are adorable moments in both berserk and Vinland that I totally loved.

Based on my own googling, I might read Vagabond. One Piece seems pretty cool. I have a hard time reading through internet recommendations cause manga is hella broad and pretty fuckin horny sometimes.
One Piece rules, yeah, and now's as good a time as any to read it all. if you're not completely opposed to "set in a school" series, there's still quite a lot of good ones in that realm. here's a big ol' list of stuff you can check out that might interest you:

completed:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Monster
I Am A Hero
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Yokohama Shopping Trip
Dorohedoro
Chainsaw Man(main series completed, a sequel series has started)
Pluto
Kumika's Sense of Taste
Parasyte
Attack on Titan
Battle Angel Alita(and all its sequels)
The Observation Record of my Fiancee, the Self-Proclaimed Villainess
Franken Fran
Beastars
Spirit Circle
Ressentiment
Boys on the Run
TEPPU
Hinamatsuri
Blank Canvas, My So-Called Artist's Journey
Akumetsu
Helck
Kids on the Slope
ERASED
A Silent Voice
Silver Spoon

not completed:
Otoyomegatari(Young Bride's Story)
Dungeon Meshi
ONE PUNCH MAN
Shiori Experience
Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Re: Zero
Yona of the Dawn
Land of the Lustrous
Yotsuba&!
The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic
March Comes In Like A Lion
Asuperu Kanojo(also known as "Asperger's Girl" or "Aspergirl")
Heterogeneous Linguistics
Kaiju Girl Caramelise
My Daughter is an S-Ranked Adventurer

some other series you might enjoy that fall outside your requested types:
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun!
Zatch Bell! (completed, has a sequel series that started up and is also great)
Oh, My Sweet Alien! (completed)
The Boy Who Cried Wolf Told Another Lie Today (completed)
Paradise Kiss (completed)
Ideal Sponger Life (not completed)

there's a lot of manga!!!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eat The Rich posted:

i will second that this description fits dorohedoro very well

in terms of "fan service" it does have quite a bit of nudity though. if it helps for whatever reason, the author/artist is a woman.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ninjewtsu posted:

i will second that this description fits dorohedoro very well

in terms of "fan service" it does have quite a bit of nudity though. if it helps for whatever reason, the author/artist is a woman.

The fanservice in Doroheoro is weird because although it's definitely true that it has a fair amount of nudity and it's mostly aimed at female characters, it's usually unsexualised - with other characters often not reacting to it at all, since they live in a world with superhuman powers where sometimes you just get your clothes exploded off or whatever and maybe one day someone just uses magic to turn you into a cake and seeing a boob isn't that big of a deal - and the characters are proportioned, if not realistically, then at least in a way which accentuates strength rather than sensuality.

It does do some more blatant stuff occasionally but most of the nudity-containing scenes gave the overall impression of "character is loving cool, and also naked" or "character is hosed up" rather than "character is being a vessel for fanservice"

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I finished Berserk so I don't necessarily mind nudity. A lot of it felt like it served a purpose (some was weird). I just don't really care for it when it's obviously fan service.

I'm not a prude, it's just cringey, ya know?

Edit: oh also I added a whole bunch of everyone's recs. I'm excited to check out dorohedoro after all the chat about it. I'll be revisiting the post as well as I get through stuff. Thanks everyone. Especially Captain Invictus with that chonker of a list

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 23, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Just to make sure you're aware: there is an excellent anime covering the first bit of dorohedoro (maybe like the first fourth of the manga? First sixth?)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, the dorohedoro anime is quite good, but it doesn't cover all too much, so you'll have to make the switch eventually. depends on whether you want to do that or just stick with the manga aesthetic the whole way through.

Eat The Rich posted:

Edit: oh also I added a whole bunch of everyone's recs. I'm excited to check out dorohedoro after all the chat about it. I'll be revisiting the post as well as I get through stuff. Thanks everyone. Especially Captain Invictus with that chonker of a list
if I had to narrow it down a little further to stuff I would say prioritize, I'd do this:

completed:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Monster
I Am A Hero
Dorohedoro
Chainsaw Man(main series completed, a sequel series has started)
Pluto
Battle Angel Alita(and all its sequels)
TEPPU
A Silent Voice

not completed:
Otoyomegatari(Young Bride's Story)
Dungeon Meshi
ONE PUNCH MAN
Shiori Experience
Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen
Yotsuba&!
March Comes In Like A Lion

and if I had to narrow it down EVEN FURTHER to my like, 5 picks I'd say read first, it'd be these in no particular order:

Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist
Dungeon Meshi
Dorohedoro

many series can be read on Mangadex. and if the series is licensed, which most of these are, they are generally linked to from their respective mangadex pages on where you can buy the official volumes.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 24, 2023

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, the dorohedoro anime is quite good, but it doesn't cover all too much, so you'll have to make the switch eventually. depends on whether you want to do that or just stick with the manga aesthetic the whole way through.

many series can be read on Mangadex. and if the series is licensed, which most of these are, they are generally linked to from their respective mangadex pages on where you can buy the official volumes.

I'm just looking for manga. If the anime is good, then I'll go watch it after. Vinland Saga anime is really good.

I'm using Tachiyomi to read everything. I like that it handles western comics too. There's never a shortage of something to read. Good for my wallet too.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are any of the Gantz spinoff manga worth reading?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finished rereading Land of the Lustrous; is there ANYTHING out there like it? Specifically: thoughtful sci-fi, philosophical works, gorgeous artwork.

I'm about to start reading BLAME, and might reread Dorohedoro - they're of similar outstanding quality, but man. There is a gem-shaped hole in my life now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Eden: It’s An Endless World, maybe? It’s a very different work, though