Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also have some gently caress-cars joy from the skating thread

the weaving between cars in this makes me anxious lol I'd hit my handlebars on one side and get knocked off or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aside from not feeling safe filtering I don't even trust myself to cross the street without looking both ways like 10 times in case I just somehow didn't notice a car so I honestly can't fathom the level of self confidence that would be required to just weave through cars with a green light coming from a perpendicular street like all the people on terry b's channel do

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
san francisco's terrible new bike lane is open despite not being finished yet and missing a ton of bollards
https://missionlocal.org/2023/08/incomplete-controversial-valencia-bike-lane-opens/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

Aside from not feeling safe filtering I don't even trust myself to cross the street without looking both ways like 10 times in case I just somehow didn't notice a car so I honestly can't fathom the level of self confidence that would be required to just weave through cars with a green light coming from a perpendicular street like all the people on terry b's channel do

i did an idaho at a dead af intersection today and had a plainclothes unmarked flash at me, which is to say im too conspicuous and irritating to police in too many ways to get that feisty.

its been an eventful skate day

also went to the cannabis lounge where they had terry b on the big screen lol

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

the only kind of high viz that would possibly make a positive difference in this country is a rifle slung over your shoulder

I used to ride to the gun range with my AR slung on my back and it was absolutely transformative. Big rear end diesel trucks getting a whole lane over. Nobody trying to squeeze past. It made me drunk with power

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikecommuting/comments/15hahpm/the_new_bike_path_on_the_middle_of_the_highway_in/

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cool a new 2-way overtake lane

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I know the old bikers joke about that being the motorcycle lane, but this is ridiculous.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

fermun posted:

san francisco's terrible new bike lane is open despite not being finished yet and missing a ton of bollards
https://missionlocal.org/2023/08/incomplete-controversial-valencia-bike-lane-opens/

So, I will give them this, it's incredibly funny

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Samuel Glompers posted:

So, I will give them this, it's incredibly funny

this doesn't even get into drivers pulling u-turns mid-block over the bumpers and through the bike lane

it's perfectly designed to piss everybody off

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 09:52 on Aug 4, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/duckses/status/1687403715731566592

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Confirmation that I live in hell

https://www.axios.com/local/atlanta/2023/08/04/atlanta-travel-commute-mileage-walk-transit-bike-brookings

Atlantans drive thousands more miles per year than people in other U.S. cities

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Confirmation that I live in hell

https://www.axios.com/local/atlanta/2023/08/04/atlanta-travel-commute-mileage-walk-transit-bike-brookings

Atlantans drive thousands more miles per year than people in other U.S. cities

houston is about the same.

but i am very lucky because i work from home and now live in a walkable neighborhood so i end up driving like 20 miles a week lol.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
It's remarkable to think how much the world would be improved simply with the removal of free street parking.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

lobster shirt posted:

houston is about the same.

but i am very lucky because i work from home and now live in a walkable neighborhood so i end up driving like 20 miles a week lol.

Huh?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I use to work just enough outside downtown that parking was free and parking was near impossible come 9:30 am because of the number of people who would park there and walk/bike to their office. Not saying it was right or wrong for folks to do it but as soon as it became metered there was suddenly plenty of parking!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

whats the confusion

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

whats the confusion

20 miles a week is a lot for wfh and walkable neighborhood. I probably drive 3 a week max

mystes
May 31, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

20 miles a week is a lot for wfh and walkable neighborhood. I probably drive 3 a week max
then why do you even own a car? sounds like you're not really dedicated to the cause

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

my kids daycare is a 4 mile round trip and not safe to get to without a car sadly so i do that 5x a week.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

then why do you even own a car? sounds like you're not really dedicated to the cause

I go out of town sometimes and I sometimes have need to move lots of things

Sorry I’m not sufficiently committed to whatever the cause is :)

lobster shirt posted:

my kids daycare is a 4 mile round trip and not safe to get to without a car sadly so i do that 5x a week.

Yeah that makes sense. Kids mess up the no driving lifestyle pretty badly

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I go out of town sometimes and I sometimes have need to move lots of things

Sorry I’m not sufficiently committed to whatever the cause is :)

Yeah that makes sense. Kids mess up the no driving lifestyle pretty badly

we got a lil trailer for them though so on weekends we can hook them up to the bikes and take them to parks and stuff. tahts a lot of fun.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I like to get out of town on the weekends and go hiking/backpacking so I can rack miles even though I don't drive 5+ days out of the week. I am part of the problem I guess...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

raggedphoto posted:

I like to get out of town on the weekends and go hiking/backpacking so I can rack miles even though I don't drive 5+ days out of the week. I am part of the problem I guess...

I think of it like carbon credits, where I exchange a car trip like that for all of the in-town trips I didn't take by car.

mystes
May 31, 2006

the average american drives way more than 20 miles per week so 20 is pretty low by that standard even if it's high compared to not owning a car

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I've drove zero miles since June 2019, it owns

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I've drove zero miles since June 2019, it owns

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

the average american drives way more than 20 miles per week so 20 is pretty low by that standard even if it's high compared to not owning a car

The last I checked the average American drives around 40 miles a day

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If you do the math on that link I posted earlier about Atlanta driving, the average metro Atlanta household drives like 100 miles a day.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

acording to that article the average houstonian drives 35k miles per year so 20 miles a week is comes to about 1/35th that amount lol. its a pretty nice reduction!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i am meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow and i am going to ride my bike there

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you do the math on that link I posted earlier about Atlanta driving, the average metro Atlanta household drives like 100 miles a day.

I have family in Atlanta and from the times I’ve visited I’m just gonna say this feels like a lowball

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'd rather die, thanks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I have family in Atlanta and from the times I’ve visited I’m just gonna say this feels like a lowball

It's averaged with the people who live ITP and don't drive much. So the real metro people really are driving an incredible amount. I honestly don't know how people do it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

bring Sherman back

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It'd be bad enough just the drive itself but so much of it's stuck in gridlock too lmao.

Atlanta metro suuuuucks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol at having to drive out to experience nature

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lobster shirt posted:

love putting hte kids in a trailer and pulling them around, to parks and other fun venues. bike ftw.

that owns. There's no bike infra here so we can only bike them around the subdevelopment but at least we can go to the mini-park on the far side with them. Bike trailers rock, I love mine.

Now if we could stop having 95f weather coupled with 75% humidity for a couple days I could do that again. Even early morning is miserable, it was 95% humidity at 5:30am so the heat index was 100. at 5:30am!

Bushiz posted:

It's remarkable to think how much the world would be improved simply with the removal of free street parking.
As long as it's replaced with something that serves as a speed limiter, don't underestimate how much drivers are forced to slow down when cars are parked inches from the travel lane. You need trees planted where the spots used to be or else everything just becomes a drag strip. Carbrain interprets open space as "go fast".

Harik has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Aug 5, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

lol at having to drive out to experience nature

for the first few years of me not having a car that was the only downside, that I couldn’t just gently caress off to go hiking or skiing whenever I wanted

but since then my state (CO) has added multiple new bus routes that I can take to go hiking and skiing :woop: finally got a ski season pass this past season for the first time in 7+ years, being able to take lightrail and the Bustang up to Vail fuckin owns bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Maroon Hawk posted:

for the first few years of me not having a car that was the only downside, that I couldn’t just gently caress off to go hiking or skiing whenever I wanted

but since then my state (CO) has added multiple new bus routes that I can take to go hiking and skiing :woop: finally got a ski season pass this past season for the first time in 7+ years, being able to take lightrail and the Bustang up to Vail fuckin owns bones

they have something like that in Seattle fron king county. it was closed during the early years of the pandemic unfortunately.

quote:

Metro and King County Parks, with the support of the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) and Amazon, are working together to provide funding for the 2023 season.
thank you Amazon dot com