Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zoids also plays to its strengths by being in an easy to animate desert and keeping the CGI and 2D animation mostly separate so there aren't many super janky composite shots. The cel shading is also quite pretty.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I remember liking ReBoot but I don't know if was good or if it was just interesting because it was CGI and I refuse to look it up and find out its the latter.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Transformers Robots In Disguise, the anime one, is my first exposure to the franchise. And it's very much a goofy kids series but IMO pretty charming. And it has Sky-Byte, a beloved fan favourite. Also raising very weird questions when one of the Autobots keeps hitting on non sentient red sports cars, much to the confusion of the hapless young woman who is always driving them.

Also the coolest Megatron toy bar none.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YggiDee posted:

I remember liking ReBoot but I don't know if was good or if it was just interesting because it was CGI and I refuse to look it up and find out its the latter.

There's an episode with a talent show contest where they make fun of the robots from Dire Straits' Money For Nothing music video.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I feel bad for myself for getting into Reboot thanks to that awful Power Rangers wannabe sequel thingy, Guardian Code.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Come And See posted:

You're right, it's not good. It's great. :colbert:

Yeah, I like Star Wars too. :smugdog:

YggiDee posted:

I think Reboot gets to being good, even if it doesn't start out that way and the eternal battle they had with S&P might make for more interesting viewing than the show itself. Like I guess because it was in THE THIRD DIMENSION they suddenly got weird about a female character having boobs so Dot just has kind of a solid triangle on her chest.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Reboot has the advantage of a lot of simple, nonhumanoid characters to fill shots, and the show embracing a weird, surreal aesthetic that means that a lot of fuckups can still end up working in the show's favor (which is important, since correcting mistakes was very hard. Animators had to do a lot of work blind and then wait hours to see the render).

But also while I have revisited Reboot a few time and I think it holds up, I only really revisited the last season, which was made after they had finished most of Beast Wars, so I haven't really gone back to watch Reboot at its most raw and unskilled.

It was definitely one of those shows that was packed with all kinds of weird things that really feels like a whole world unto itself, and that alone is impressive. It was a really bizarre experience just picking up a random episode as a kid.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Reboot, is there anything even remotely worthwhile about Guardian Code?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YggiDee posted:

The third season is kind of interesting. There’s an episode that’s a recreation of The Prisoner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was definitely one of those shows that was packed with all kinds of weird things that really feels like a whole world unto itself, and that alone is impressive. It was a really bizarre experience just picking up a random episode as a kid.

And not unlike Beast Wars it powers through a lot carried by some really good voice acting, like the late, great Tony Jay as Megabyte for ReBoot and having professional vocal madman Scott McNeil in Beast Wars.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Reboot, is there anything even remotely worthwhile about Guardian Code?

From the scant clips I've seen of it, Megabyte and Hexadecimal are good in it, and the guy they got to replace Tony Jay knocks it out of the park playing Megabyte with the slop he's given to work with. But that's about it. There's an episode where they finally go to Mainframe near the end of the show where they meet Bob, Dot, and Enzo, but they all look horrifying in the modern show's art style and actually somehow look worse than they did in the late 90s/early 00s, and also the episode is one giant disdainful hot poo poo on you, the returning ReBoot viewer, for even bothering to watch it or still be invested in ReBoot in the 2020s.

So no, don't watch The Guardian Code.

My friends and I are doing a often-delayed ReBoot rewatch, and I often threaten to put on a Guardian Code episode as a punishment when they act up, it's that awfu.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remembered enjoying it context-free of it being a... reboot of Reboot (that's so confusing!) but my brain hadn't fully formed yet at that point so I thought anything was cool. Now? With more context (still haven't SEEN OG Reboot) and a more developed sense of good and bad? The four teen characters are SO. BORING. It's reheated Power Rangers stuff without any of the charm or even cheese that made it endearing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei posted:

I remembered enjoying it context-free of it being a... reboot of Reboot (that's so confusing!) but my brain hadn't fully formed yet at that point so I thought anything was cool. Now? With more context (still haven't SEEN OG Reboot) and a more developed sense of good and bad? The four teen characters are SO. BORING. It's reheated Power Rangers stuff without any of the charm or even cheese that made it endearing.

You owe it to yourself to watch the original show. It's so good.

Also the showrunner's explanation for why it's a semi-live action show with real people going into the ReBoot realm instead of just a pure CG show continuation or reboot of the original show is amazingly boneheaded. He said that kids these days don't want to watch purely CG cartoon (WHAT?) and they don't have the connection or affinity to the original series characters and setting so doing a pure sequel or reboot was just a non-starter. Like holy poo poo, typical dumbshit focused group producerbrain or what?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There were a lot of really off management thing I heard of too, like the CEO? Producer? someone high up demanding they swap the type of animation software they used, and someone getting the main teen renamed after their son.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

koolkal posted:

They definitely get a lot of mileage out of their janky models combined with some amazing "camera work".

https://i.imgur.com/NJ4PUBJ.mp4

Getting tempted to re-watch it lol

Do it. I did a rewatch earlier this year with those 4k upscales on youtube. So awesome. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Clavicle

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Now you know what a sweet boy Jimmy is. :allears:
I really like this episode and the next one. They're so loving cute!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arc Hammer posted:

There's an episode with a talent show contest where they make fun of the robots from Dire Straits' Money For Nothing music video.

That music video was made by the same studio!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Turns out Jimmy knew Clark’s secret all along (which kind of makes sense), also Lois and Clark appear to have made up. Honestly I’m glad they decided to rip this particular bandaid off sooner rather than later. No Grodd this time but we did get Mallah & The Brain

Mxyzptlk debuts next week

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 4, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Larryb posted:

Though in the Teen Titans cartoon’s defense, Slade is a way better name than Deathstroke and is a rare example of censorship actually improving on the original source material (they gave Starfire a much better design/personality as well)

i sorta like that i had never heard of deathstroke before the show so i was always curious about the mysery of slade and poo poo. which in hindsight.

Assepoester posted:

Roughnecks is really helped by putting its characters in hardsuits for 99% of the series, which means that most of the jank of animating a human with late 90s CGI is gone (the scenes that have them out of their hardsuits and in regular jumpsuits look a lot worse), being able to reuse the great bug designs from the movie, and having Foundation Imaging at the top of their game after gaining all that experience handling Babylon 5 (the episodes NOT done by Foundation Imaging look noticeably worse).

Plus you can't discount the effect of having animators willing to go above and beyond because they are really passionate about the source material, call it the One Punch Man Season One effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJ7S4iwXSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2GIlHT3NkQ

god i loved that show as kid, now i really just want an Imperial guard show following a battalion or some poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Das Boo posted:

Now you know what a sweet boy Jimmy is. :allears:
I really like this episode and the next one. They're so loving cute!

Mallah and the Brain are so adorable :3: hope we see them again

popped really hard for the Laganns and just for glistening shirtless Clark, you guys are making the smartest show ever

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I finally got around to seeing Mutant Mayhem, it probably has my least favorite version of April but otherwise that was fairly decent overall.

Considering the ending I’m very curious to see how the upcoming series and sequel continue off of this (I assume they’ll probably bring in Casey and Shredder at some point as well)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Is it just me or did the Cadmus mutants look an awful lot like the Gunmen mechs from Gurren Lagann?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I Am Fowl posted:

Is it just me or did the Cadmus mutants look an awful lot like the Gunmen mechs from Gurren Lagann?

Oh good, I’m not the only one who thought that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to Mutant Mayhem, was Donny voiced by a 12 year old? He sounds way younger than the rest of the gang

April had a decent arc but I could have done without the extended scene of her puking (also she does not look remotely like a high schooler)

This is the second animated version of Splinter who was just a rat to start with (though Hamato Yoshi just doesn’t exist at all and he doesn’t have much interest in martial arts)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 4, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I am half expecting the sequel to take a hard turn into mythical stuff. Adapt the current comic's thing where Splinter and the turtles were a family in feudal Japan and reincarnated a few times. If only so Donnie can say you mean we were isekai'd?!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Larryb posted:

Back to Mutant Mayhem, was Donny voiced by a 12 year old? He sounds way younger than the rest of the gang

April had a decent arc but I could have done without the extended scene of her puking (also she does not look remotely like a high schooler)

This is the second version of Splinter who was just a rat to start with (though Hamato Yoshi just doesn’t exist at all and he doesn’t have much interest in martial arts)

Micah Abbey (Donnie's VA) was born November 8, 2007, which makes him as of today 15. For context, Nicolas Cantu (Leo) is 19, Brady Noon (Raph) is 17, and Shamon Brown Jr. (Mikey) is 18.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Micah Abbey (Donnie's VA) was born November 8, 2007, which makes him as of today 15. For context, Nicolas Cantu (Leo) is 19, Brady Noon (Raph) is 17, and Shamon Brown Jr. (Mikey) is 18.

That explains it, I do like that this is the first version of the Turtles to be voiced by actual teenagers though

I’ll be curious to see how the upcoming series is going to work considering the gang are now high schoolers with public identities and most of the other mutants are now good guys living with Splinter

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Seth Rogen really just gave us free canon found family and high school au content huh.

I would not be surprised if the series was actually mostly high school slice of life comedy and Shredder is saved for the proper movie sequel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The article I posted a few pages back actually has a small bit of info on the series:

quote:

According to the official description, the Turtles will be challenged like never before as Leo, Raph, Donnie and Mikey each go it alone for the first time. Faced with new threats and teaming up with old allies, the Turtles will discover who they really are when they don’t have their brothers at their sides.

It’ll be called Tales of the TMNT, will last for at least two seasons and will be available on Paramount+

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutant-mayhem-sequel-paramount-plus-streaming-series-coming-1235679837/

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

The article I posted a few pages back actually has a small bit of info on the series:

It’ll be called Tales of the TMNT, will last for at least two seasons and will be available on Paramount+

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutant-mayhem-sequel-paramount-plus-streaming-series-coming-1235679837/

So what you're saying is it'll get 10 episodes, then be erased by Paramount completely as they continue to implode.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, Mutant Mayhem's doing drat well so far on the money side, and it's reviewing EXTREMELY well.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Junpei posted:

I mean, Mutant Mayhem's doing drat well so far on the money side, and it's reviewing EXTREMELY well.

those don't have any relationship to the streaming platform, though.
They won't un-exist that movie, but if the subsequent series premieres on a failing platform and then gets blamed for not performing well on a failing platform, it is more likely to get strangled in the crib for tax credits.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Seth Rogen could pull the coming movie sequel as a defense-"We need to set up some stuff in Tales for Mutant Mayhem 2 to make sense, if you slash our episode count the movie will be worse".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei posted:

Seth Rogen could pull the coming movie sequel as a defense-"We need to set up some stuff in Tales for Mutant Mayhem 2 to make sense, if you slash our episode count the movie will be worse".

They're throwing loving Star Trek shows overboard, the franchise that the platform was literally built around. Seth Rogen's word don't mean jack poo poo to these folks. Don't believe anything Paramount and by that I mean any media conglomerate at all says anymore in the age of Zaslav.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, don't trust streaming shows. I still don't believe we will see those atla streaming shows, just one or two movies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Rise of the TMNT was killed halfway through season two so I'm wary of empty promises from uncaring companies

mystes
May 31, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, don't trust streaming shows. I still don't believe we will see those atla streaming shows, just one or two movies.
They recently put out some photos so unfortunately we probably will see one season of an atla streaming show before it gets cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I choose to believe that Tales will get to tell everything it wants