Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Unwelcome is a good as hell folk horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What investigative horror should I watch next. I have 2 hours to kill this evening.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Hollismason posted:

What investigative horror should I watch next. I have 2 hours to kill this evening.

Thesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7vSstEF_Sw

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

you know for someone into investigative horror you seem to be relying on us to do all your investigating

anyway watch Lord of Illusions (director's cut)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

you know for someone into investigative horror you seem to be relying on us to do all your investigating

I watched it last night. I am now watching The Last Broadcast because I can't remember when I saw it last.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You should watch pee wees big adventure to investigate how much he owns

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Death Line (1972)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

CURE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwl9bfy4qKg

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hollismason posted:

See my earlier recommendation of Emesis Blue

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I haven't seen that movie since I saw it in the theater but I still say "are you ready for my wisdom" all the time. Movies and memory are weird

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually settled on The Boston Strangler movie since its horror adjacent.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Memories of a Murder and CURE would be a killer double feature

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Memories of a Murder and CURE would be a killer double feature

Yeah that would be a good one. Seeing how this The Boston Strangler turns out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think he strangled some people in Boston

Wicked pisser

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I haven't seen that movie since I saw it in the theater but I still say "are you ready for my wisdom" all the time. Movies and memory are weird

I heard an electronic song once that sampled "I was born... to murder the world", it was cool finding out where that came from

I don't say it all the time though

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Answering my job interview questions with quotes from the Puritan

"Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

"I was born to murder the world"

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Spermanent Record posted:

Have you got any horror short story recommendations for Grade 7, 12 years olds?

I'm thinking The Jaunt, to start them off with a bang (after editing out that line about dog semen wtf).

Something I don't have to check line by line for obscenity, but will still give them a good spook.

Arthur Conan Doyle's The Captain of the Pole Star

Thomas Ligotti's The Greater Festival of Masks

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 4, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The Signal-Man by Charles Dickens is also a fantastic short horror story

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

You should watch pee wees big adventure to investigate how much he owns

I mean, if you consider a Tim Burton movie with a haunted highway, dinosaurs and evil clowns horror.

Also, E. G. Daily must have been in a NOES movie, right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe one of M.R. James' more kid focused stories like Lost Hearts, The Wailing Well, and A School Story might work. Very creepy and the first two are surprisingly brutal for their time.

Somewhat antiquated language though seeing as James was a early 20th century antiquarian so I'm not sure how readable they are to modern kids even if some were intended to be told to 1920s Eton schoolboys.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
lol.....'Spiral: From the Book of Saw' was absolute dogshit. Was Chris Rock trolling with this? Horribly written.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Darthemed posted:

Bruce Coville’s Book of ____ (Monsters, Nightmares, Aliens, Ghosts, Magic, and Spine Tinglers) series are great for this. Each category has two books to it, and each book is a curated collection of short stories fitting the theme, with a nice variety of authors, though some of them do show up regularly. There’s contributions from Joe Lansdale, Jane Yolen, Terry Jones, Ray Bradbury, Michael Markiewicz, Neal Shusterman, and Al Sarrantonio (whose “Snow” still creeps me out), among others.

Always loved these. My son picked up this https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Curi...ps%2C95&sr=8-10 at the library the other day and while I’ve only read one story it was very cool and he seems to be extremely into it. He’s nine but a high level nine in terms of things he’s been exposed to, it seemed aimed a little older than him to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Got a holy grail 1/6th action figure

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

sorry but "the bastard son of a hundred maniacs" is one of the best descriptors in horror history

It is, but it wasn't meant to be taken literally any more than saying (for example) Prometheus is the lovechild of the Alien franchise and Chariots of the Gods. It takes a special kind of idiot to decide that this means Erich von Daniken impregnated Dan O'Bannon.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

lol.....'Spiral: From the Book of Saw' was absolute dogshit. Was Chris Rock trolling with this? Horribly written.

I felt the same way, and I truly cannot stand that Max Minghnahella dude. He's got all the personality of unflavored gelatin

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm thinking The Jaunt, to start them off with a bang (after editing out that line about dog semen wtf).

Something I don't have to check line by line for obscenity, but will still give them a good spook.

Should be noted the Book Barn horror thread is here too https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856663&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Meg 2 is exactly the movie you think it is. It feels like it time travelled here from 2003 in the best way.

Deepest, bluest, Jason Statham's bald head is like a shark's fin.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just realized we haven't heard a peep about Creepshow season 4 since it started filming like 2 years ago. I know AMC is a mess right now and if it's coming it'll be this fall, but I'm hoping it wasn't just memory-holed. It's an uneven show, but when it's great it's really great.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Just realized we haven't heard a peep about Creepshow season 4 since it started filming like 2 years ago. I know AMC is a mess right now and if it's coming it'll be this fall, but I'm hoping it wasn't just memory-holed. It's an uneven show, but when it's great it's really great.

It got renewed a year ago

quote:

On October 30, 2019, the series was renewed for a second season.[3] On October 30, 2020, an animated special titled A Creepshow Animated Special was released.[4] On November 10, 2020, it was announced that a holiday special titled A Creepshow Holiday Special would premiere on December 18, 2020.[5] On February 18, 2021, the series was renewed for a third season, and the second season premiered on April 1, 2021. The third season debuted on September 23, 2021.[6] On February 10, 2022, the series was renewed for a fourth season.

I wouldn't be worried unless we're still waiting on it a year from now. Season 2 and 3 both airing the same year is definitely an outlier for shows more than this kind of wait-time between season 3 and 4

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Medullah posted:

Does Jason go into a hockey game to kill people but gets sucked in to be the alternate goalie and discovers he actually loves hockey?

Edit - He gets into a fight and murders someone and gets a 5 minute stay in the penalty box

I like the idea but mine was going to be set after Jason goes to hell and opens with a scene of a now homeless vagrant Charlie Conway having gone mad after witnessing the deaths of his team mates and coach in a freak tourbus accident gets killed whilst rollerblading around the city blowing his duck whistle, he wakes up to the voice of coach Bombay and the other ducks to find that in the afterlife he and the ducks have to face off in a hockey tournament for the good of mankind, unfortunately it’s hell-rules Hockey and a certain machete wielding goalie is out for blood….

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/bdisgusting/status/1687452980746842113?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

On the topic of franchises.. focusing on the original movie from each franchise, which do you think are relatively weak or not all time classics?

Like most films that kick off franchises are all time classics, that is why the studios kept chasing that dragon making more films.

So Halloween, ANOES, The Exorcist, Hellraiser and Scream are examples of originals that are clear cut classicss IMO.

Even though I am fond of it, I think the original Friday the 13th is a tier or two down from these although it does have that scene with Kevin Bacon going for it.

(I saw Halloween, F13, and ANOES in the theaters as a teen during their original runs and had a great experience at all of them.)

There often seems to be little correlation between the quality of the original film and the franchise it spawned. Hellraiser is a great example with an original that is one of the greats IMO but clearly one of the worst franchises past the second film.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

On the topic of franchises.. focusing on the original movie from each franchise, which do you think are relatively weak or not all time classics?

Like most films that kick off franchises are all time classics, that is why the studios kept chasing that dragon making more films.

So Halloween, ANOES, The Exorcist, Hellraiser and Scream are examples of originals that are clear cut classicss IMO.

Even though I am fond of it, I think the original Friday the 13th is a tier or two down from these although it does have that scene with Kevin Bacon going for it.

(I saw Halloween, F13, and ANOES in the theaters as a teen during their original runs and had a great experience at all of them.)

There often seems to be little correlation between the quality of the original film and the franchise it spawned. Hellraiser is a great example with an original that is one of the greats IMO but clearly one of the worst franchises past the second film.

Child’s Play is great but it’s hardly my favorite Chucky at this point

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Leprechaun is fine but it isn't the reason the leprechaun franchise is so much fun

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Leprechaun rap is why the Leprechaun series is fun.

Also, Space!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
F13 is where my mind goes when I think of an original movie in a franchise that is disproportionately lovely compared to it's cultural awareness.

F13 is a pretty lame slasher.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really loved lep returns

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I felt the same way, and I truly cannot stand that Max Minghnahella dude. He's got all the personality of unflavored gelatin

That would explain why he was in this movie. Flavorless tripe.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay I'm investigative horror movie burned out. Someone mentioned Leprechaun and I can't honestly remember seeing it. I'm sure I have but maybe I'll watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

There are definitely franchises where I prefer later entries over the original—I’d watch Exorcist 3 over the Exorcist any day—but not many where I can say the original didn’t launch the franchise for good reason—the Exorcist is a stone cold classic