Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RandomBlue posted:

half a million AND ONE!

I legit wonder how much of it is the legacy of the BG series, how much of it is people wanting any good D&D game, how much of it is Larian's own cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bear fuckers

it's nothing but bear fuckers

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Mordja posted:

I legit wonder how much of it is the legacy of the BG series, how much of it is people wanting any good D&D game, how much of it is Larian's own cred.

it reminds me a lot of when fallout 3 came out and I was so excited just to have more fallout that i didn't (or refused to) notice until years later that the game simply wasn't that good. and who knows, maybe bg3 is amazing, but it seems like a lot of people really want it to be amazing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

it reminds me a lot of when fallout 3 came out and I was so excited just to have more fallout that i didn't (or refused to) notice until years later that the game simply wasn't that good. and who knows, maybe bg3 is amazing, but it seems like a lot of people really want it to be amazing

I want all the games I play to be amazing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At least from what has been playable for the last few years, it really has very little to do with previous games. I’d bet good money that changes later on but it’s a Larian game with better writing than OS and a less messy but still fun combat system.

Unless they massively hosed up somewhere it’s probably a good game.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 4, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think people also just want a high budget (? Is BG3 AAA budget? AA budget at least) fantasy WRPG since Dragon Age is dead, Bethesda is just releasing ports of Skyrim, and Obsidian and CD Projekt Red are on a bad sci-fi kick.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

mycot posted:

I think people also just want a high budget (? Is BG3 AAA budget? AA budget at least) fantasy WRPG since Dragon Age is dead, Bethesda is just releasing ports of Skyrim, and Obsidian and CD Projekt Red are on a bad sci-fi kick.

BG3 is indisputably a AAA game, someone did the calculations in the BG3 thread and it has to be the biggest selling CRPG of all time to make back its budget.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah Larian employs 400+ people now - it’s definitely a AAA budget. Fortunately it’s already sold well just in EA and looks like it will continue to do so well into the future.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

bear fuckers

Incorporated!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Substandard posted:

What's the firefox setting to turn this off?
I'm sorry guys, I honestly can't find it for the life of me. I'm pretty sure it was some toggle in about :config (as I'm no power user and don't have any custom user.css or anything) but I can't find it again. I do know it was there and being annoying, I did a bit of googling and fiddled a bit, and now it's gone. There's probably an extension out now that'll do it, that's the best I've got sorry!

-----

Regarding Baldur's Gate 3: I'm sure it's a great game, but holy gently caress do publishers have some sort of allergy to showing the actual loving game or something? Two whole videos which are nothing but cutscenes, and the first TEN screenshots are more of the same. The UI makes an appearance after much scrolling on the Steam page - like are you ashamed of it, what?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Street Fighter 6's settings menus are bad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'll probably get BG3 the very first time it dips below 30 quid. I can't justify fifty on a game I know in my heart I'll probably not get really into. That's a bit much for what will probably just be a character creator sandbox for me.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Throne of Bhaal was enough of a sequel to BG2 :colbert:

Not that I haven't already bought BG3 and waiting to get off loving work to play it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hwurmp posted:

bear fuckers

Always has been.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mycot posted:

I think people also just want a high budget (? Is BG3 AAA budget? AA budget at least) fantasy WRPG since Dragon Age is dead,

BG3 is more Dragon Age than any other game, like you do some fights, get a cutscene and blood is all over your face, your main character is mute, all the party members are assholes (but you need them!!!) etc

also it is hard as balls

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I never understood why the Mass Effect/DA-like died. I mean I think it was subsumed by the open world behemoth (hence games like AC Odyssey and Horizon ZD, that clearly owe a lot to Bioware), but you'd think they could co-exist.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I never understood why the Mass Effect/DA-like died. I mean I think it was subsumed by the open world behemoth (hence games like AC Odyssey and Horizon ZD, that clearly owe a lot to Bioware), but you'd think they could co-exist.

Probably I’m forgetting something but every one I can recall was middlin’ to dogshit? Your Spiders games, things like that, with the conversation wheel and the vague, ultimately pointless nods towards your choices mattering. Not a one of ‘em was anything but a quaint attempt at the formula that never quite did it.

Not half mentioning that the majority of BioWare’s work wasn’t good either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orv posted:

Probably I’m forgetting something but every one I can recall was middlin’ to dogshit? Your Spiders games, things like that, with the conversation wheel and the vague, ultimately pointless nods towards your choices mattering. Not a one of ‘em was anything but a quaint attempt at the formula that never quite did it.

Not half mentioning that the majority of BioWare’s work wasn’t good either.

Alpha Protocol :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Alpha Protocol :colbert:

Alpha Protocol is the one and only game that actually delivers on the choices matter schtick, the end slides stuff of some CRPGs doesn’t really count in the same way, so I don’t even really consider it a BioWare-like. Fair though.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rinkles posted:

The two major studios doing them are jank or collapsing (Spiders and Bioware respectively). A few others dabbled and realized "it is a better use of our time and resources to go a little more stock CRPG".

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I'm having a blast in BG3 so far. Combat, the dialogue/characters, the choices, it's all fun. I can tell just from character creation I'm going to play this a million different ways for years with different concepts.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Orv posted:

Alpha Protocol is the one and only game that actually delivers on the choices matter schtick, the end slides stuff of some CRPGs doesn’t really count in the same way, so I don’t even really consider it a BioWare-like. Fair though.

The whole Bond-Bourne-Bauer approach to dialogue was a great idea and made replays that much more fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Quill posted:

The whole Bond-Bourne-Bauer approach to dialogue was a great idea and made replays that much more fun.

Yeah it’s a fantastic game.

It’s also like five hours a play through for a reason and while I think the fakery of the choices matter thing is probably the least of why most BioWare games were really bad, it’s super cool that AP actually managed to play it out.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

baldur's gate 3 is extremely good

also larian isn't a publicly traded company so they don't have a greedy publisher breathing down their neck chasing infinite profit by milking consumers for every penny

"but what about the deluxe edition dlc?"

they gave that to everyone who bought the game during early access for free

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

mycot posted:

Yeah, fantasy RPGs are always in demand, it's mostly just a problem of scale. A lush, large, believable world with interesting things to do and a myriad of player options is really resource intensive to make (especially when you're trying to keep up with modern graphics). Every now and then we get one, and people love it, and it performs well enough on the marketplace, but good luck convincing a suit with a cigar to back that horse when they can make just as much money (if not more) with a simpler, tried-and-true concept.

That's not knocking simple games either; nothing wrong with a game with a narrow focus. I'm just speaking in practical terms.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 4, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Obsidian is developing a lush first person fantasy rpg right at this moment called Avowed

Orv
May 4, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Obsidian is developing a lush first person fantasy rpg right at this moment called Avowed

That looks as bad combat wise as Skyrim, I’d rather another traditional PoE.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Outer Worlds with swords.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not a selling point!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
no rope kid = no sell :colbert:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fez_machine posted:

I'm happy for Bethesda to have any competition, but after TOW it's hard to be particularly excited for Avowed

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh to me almost all of TOW’s problems stemmed from 1) the premise of the world, which isn’t an issue with Eora or 2) its obviously limited budget and cut content, which shouldn’t be as much of a problem here. And even then TOW was just a disappointing 7/10 that played it too safe from a studio that usually overreaches in more interesting ways.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It was just bad.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'll probably get BG3 but man did I bounce off of Divinity Original Sin hard.

The combat was so janky and unintuitive to me, which made it super hard to get through. The writing and dialogue was making me cringe. It reminded me of the worst nerds in the gaming store who were very into the whole "being a nerd" thing and played Munchkin.

So "better writing and combat DOS" appeals to me.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Outer Worlds is... Competent. The writing and quest design was much better than Bethesda's, but you can tell it was made on a limited budget and schedule. There's not a lot of depth to it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Avowed. I'm hoping that the Microsoft money plus working from their own established setting means that they can really pour themselves into fleshing out the quests and characters.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I thought the combat in DOS was good, but I think calling the writing cringe is is underselling how unbelievably interminably bad it is.

"Better writing than their last game" is all well and good, but does that elevate their writing from dogshit to Pathfinder: Kingmaker levels of bad, or…?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is way better than Kingmaker, for what's worth.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This is a heinous issue I've been dealing with for months now. Whenever I press the left thumbstick on my Xbone controller, Steam opens up an unclosable on screen keyboard. How do I disable this?

My solution up until this point has been to close the client whenever I play games outside of Steam, but now the client has started activating the keyboard while I'm playing games on their service. It overlays on top of all other applications and it captures every controller input. As far as I can tell there's no way to disable it without closing the whole program.

How do I disable this?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Beartaco posted:

This is a heinous issue I've been dealing with for months now. Whenever I press the left thumbstick on my Xbone controller, Steam opens up an unclosable on screen keyboard. How do I disable this?

My solution up until this point has been to close the client whenever I play games outside of Steam, but now the client has started activating the keyboard while I'm playing games on their service. It overlays on top of all other applications and it captures every controller input. As far as I can tell there's no way to disable it without closing the whole program.

How do I disable this?

It should be in Steam - Settings - Controller - Guide Button Chord Layout - Edit Layout - Joysticks. If anything says Show Keyboard, disable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm interested in how modable Avowed will be.

Mods are the reason Skyrim has had such longevity.