Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why do guys in the army, or like spies, use that 0 thing when they tell time?

that will be made abundantly clear to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

AJ is such a failson, that not even a military commander manages to keep a straight face, it’s great

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What gutters?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s a lot of weird poo poo in the last season. The coma stuff just feels extremely indulgent and kind of fits into some of the pet theories I’ve heard that the showrunner was just loving with the audience at times. The way the Melfi stuff just ends in a wet fart is also frustrating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ulvir posted:

that will be made abundantly clear to you

I love that response so much, AJ was gonna be in for a pretty shocking wake-up call if they'd actually sent him there.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I love that response so much, AJ was gonna be in for a pretty shocking wake-up call if they'd actually sent him there.

Let us not forget that about six years later in the show timeline, he announces out of the blue that he wants to join the army, become a helicopter pilot, and then get out and become a private pilot for Trump or somebody.

Never change, AJ!
(and he never did)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
“So what, the Don is gonna give you time off so you can go to Iraq?”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do wish we could check in on him, I want to see how he's doing under Little Carmine's tutelage. Someone itt pointed out that LC is actually a perfect role model for AJ and i've never been able to stop thinking about it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what else you would expect from the Melfi arc...

She cures him? A "Ok see you next week" scene before he gets his head blown off? That's more appealing?

I've said it before in this thread, but I would've liked it to have been a runner across the back half of Season 6 rather than "Melfi reads one study and decides she has to cut Tony loose, all in the course of a single episode's B-story." Her finally wising up and realizing she has to extricate herself from Tony's orbit was inevitable, but as executed it's kind of a slight against her character. Melfi having the realization sooner, then spending a few episodes dealing with her internal conflict over whether she thought she could actually help Tony or wondering if she'd been aiding and abetting a known criminal for the ongoing thrill of having a window into his world would've given Bracco some weighty material in the home stretch, and could've been a smart outlet for the series to comment on itself and its audience.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He’s undoubtably making fat stacks from the multiple pictures under their subspecies

Probably happily married, too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Melfi absolutely realized she wasn't helping sooner, she just didn't want to quit with the joyride of having a don as a client. She's the same as Carmela, they've been doing nothing but lying to themselves for years about what Tony is and does, she just takes the evidence being rubbed into her face and decides to sever rather than further denial like Carm does when her own reckoning comes.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Melfi shot Tony

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GolfHole posted:

Melfi shot Tony

Toodle-oo! *bang*

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pirate Radar posted:

Toodle-oo! *bang*

Toodle loving oo?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think Season 6 is brilliant but it does have an issue with packing certain storylines into siloed off episodes - Melfi as mentioned, but also Tony's gambling plotline, and there are a few others.

Although, on rewatch I found the Finnerty plotline has aged way better than when I watched it the first time. On my initial watch I found myself impatient with finding out whats going on with Tony in the "real world", but on a rewatch I found the Finnerty dream plot utterly captivating.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's weird that the gambling thing keeps being mentioned as "coming out of nowhere" because Tony is shown to stop giving a poo poo about a lot of stuff first because of the separation and then getting shot. Right before Little Carmine sits down to lunch with him in "Stage 5" Tony's making a bunch of personal bets on the phone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Finnerty and Dream episodes are what really sets Sopranos apart in the Prestige TV space. It is the only show willing to really go off the deep end into exploring the psychology of the character in surrealistic and visual terms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's weird that the gambling thing keeps being mentioned as "coming out of nowhere" because Tony is shown to stop giving a poo poo about a lot of stuff first because of the separation and then getting shot. Right before Little Carmine sits down to lunch with him in "Stage 5" Tony's making a bunch of personal bets on the phone.
The gambling ‘subplot’ doesn’t really end up going anywhere, and that was a bit frustrating. The payoff is that he ruins his relationship with Hesh over a debt and also Hesh’s wife dies. That’s about it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It also shows just how much worse he's getting, and how much more Carmela is willing to put up with. He also continues gambling so nothing that happened in the episode actually got through to him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was amused watching the first two-parter of Star Trek Enterprise Season 4 that they stunt-casted Steve Schirripa as a mobster fighting Nazis in a time-altered 1944

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It amused me to no end after I listened to Schirripa and Imperioli's podcast that Steve actually comes across as much more of a meatball type than even his character in the Sopranos. If anything, he had to tone himself down to be the more soft-spoken, warmhearted Bobby.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

It also shows just how much worse he's getting, and how much more Carmela is willing to put up with. He also continues gambling so nothing that happened in the episode actually got through to him.

The problem with it is we never see it escalate and the idea of it becoming This Huge Problem isn't shown or really earned. Prior to Tony's Big Gambling Addiction arc, he's just shown doing what mobsters do and betting on stuff. They all do at one point or another but none of them spiral. Same with his long lost, deeply loved cousin that's at the root of many of his psychological problems (Special Guest Star: Steve Buscemi) that we're forced to care about because the show says so but not for any reason we've seen or known about.

We GET Tony's relationship with Chris, his struggles with his son, the issues with his marriage, his Janice problem, his mother (and father) issues and the escalating tension between NJ and NY because we get to WATCH them happen. His stress, his anxiety and his depression are all right there. People's problems with the things we mentioned are because they're mostly just dropped on us and we're told we're supposed to care.

It'd be like if all of a sudden in season 5, Chris has this horrible heroin problem that's maybe been given to us in one scene 2 minute scene from S2. Or even not at all, for that matter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I agree with that; on my next rewatch I’m gonna try to pay more attention to Tony’s gambling, maybe it’s there the whole time and I just missed it on my end because there’s so much else to pay attention to

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

It amused me to no end after I listened to Schirripa and Imperioli's podcast that Steve actually comes across as much more of a meatball type than even his character in the Sopranos. If anything, he had to tone himself down to be the more soft-spoken, warmhearted Bobby.

Steve is an absolute oaf.

A redditor posted this a while back, and I saved it because I thought it was as perfect of a summary of that podcast as any:

quote:

M: A great moment in the show here that really cements the decaying relationship between Chris and Tony. Chris now has this big house, the kid, the wife - some form of “regularness”. He’s maturing, though who is to say how long that’ll last. He looks over at Tony who is talking to Bobby.

S: I REMEMBAH DAT SCENE. WE HAD TO SHOOT 6 FUCKIN’ TIMES, ONE OF DA EXTRAS KEPT HICCUPING.

M: I don’t remember that.

S: …. YOU DON’T FUCKIN’ BELIEVE ME? YOU WERE FUCKIN’ THERE MICHAEL.

M: *laughs* I didn’t say I don’t believe you, I just don’t remember it.

S: YOU WERE DRINKIN’ A LOT THOSE DAYS. AFTAH THIS SCENE WE WENT TO SAN GRAPO’S ON 34TH STREET. GREAT STEAK PIZZAIOLA. DO YA LIKE STEAK PIZZAIOLA?

M: When I was eating meat, sure. My grandmother used to make it a lot.

S: BUT NOW YOU’RE A VEGETARIAN BECAWZ YOU’RE A BUDDHIST.

M: *confused* …..Steve, plenty of Buddhists eat meat. It’s just a matter of personal ethics for me.

S: SO BUDDHISTS BELIEVE I’M GOING TO HELL BECAWZ I EAT SALAMI SANDWICHES?

M: *sighs* Not at all. Steve, that’s not how it works. I really loved this scene with Jim as Christopher is grilling the meat - a lot of symbolism with the grilling meat, the flames being stoked between the two. There is clearly a lot of tension here, and their relationship will never really rec-

S: JIM WAS A PRETTY FUCKIN’ GOOD GRILLMAN. REMEMBAH WE WENT OVER TO HIS HOUSE FOR BRACIOLE ONCE? WE WENT WITH JAMIE LYNN’S EX-HUSBAND, HE COULDN’T FUCKIN’ HANG (laughs wheezily)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Michael Imperioli is back for the new season of This Fool on Hulu. I’m glad they kept him around, I thought for sure he was gone after the first season. That show is hilarious by the way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't remember who mentioned it in this thread, but I really loved the idea mentioned that Tony's father is shown firmly telling him never to become a degenerate gambler like the poor sap he saw him dealing with that day (who went on to be a multi-millionaire!), and Tony's increased gambling in the later seasons kind of lines up with the illusion of his father as a great man being chipped away, and Tony having less guilt/doubt about going against what he told him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m don’t know if it was me because I have posted about that before but I think others have as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If it was you, thanks for the great and intriguing idea! It was somebody else... thanks to them for the great and intriguing idea!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember who mentioned it in this thread, but I really loved the idea mentioned that Tony's father is shown firmly telling him never to become a degenerate gambler like the poor sap he saw him dealing with that day (who went on to be a multi-millionaire!), and Tony's increased gambling in the later seasons kind of lines up with the illusion of his father as a great man being chipped away, and Tony having less guilt/doubt about going against what he told him.

Which probably starts(?) or gets rolling really good when he meets his dad's goomah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The final scene of that episode where he's with all his friends and he knowingly continues the bullshit fantasy version of his father's reflected glory in his choice of goomah, after coming face to face with the sad and pathetic reality was really quite something.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I came to consider one thing that seems to be a fairly common misconception, namely "Meadow just becomes a mob lawyer", when I think the text actually just says she becomes a regular lawyer, and that led me to think that there's one thing Tony is actually successful at, in the end.

It's fairly clear in the show that one thing he doesn't really want to pass on to his children is the life in the mob, and in the end, AJ the failson who was never even seriously considered to be taken into the mob fold, ends up fairly well in a production company run by someone who's effectively a retired mobster gone semi-legit. Patsy Parisi's kid who Meadow ends up dating is in a similar position, having become a lawyer. It plays nicely into the thing that Tony says in the pilot, "I came in at the end of things", the mob is a dead end and dying out, there's precious few young people coming in and most of the young associates we meet end up with bad ends, like Matthew Bevilaqua and Christopher. The final image of the family is old-rear end made guy Paulie sunning himself outside Satriale's, the last man standing from the original crew.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jerusalem posted:

The final scene of that episode where he's with all his friends and he knowingly continues the bullshit fantasy version of his father's reflected glory in his choice of goomah, after coming face to face with the sad and pathetic reality was really quite something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
She’s also completely uninterested in his life or anything negative going on like aunt and uncle dying so it destroys the idea that Johnny Boy went to her for emotional support and someone to talk to because he couldn’t get that from Livia.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

I came to consider one thing that seems to be a fairly common misconception, namely "Meadow just becomes a mob lawyer", when I think the text actually just says she becomes a regular lawyer, and that led me to think that there's one thing Tony is actually successful at, in the end.

It's fairly clear in the show that one thing he doesn't really want to pass on to his children is the life in the mob, and in the end, AJ the failson who was never even seriously considered to be taken into the mob fold, ends up fairly well in a production company run by someone who's effectively a retired mobster gone semi-legit. Patsy Parisi's kid who Meadow ends up dating is in a similar position, having become a lawyer. It plays nicely into the thing that Tony says in the pilot, "I came in at the end of things", the mob is a dead end and dying out, there's precious few young people coming in and most of the young associates we meet end up with bad ends, like Matthew Bevilaqua and Christopher. The final image of the family is old-rear end made guy Paulie sunning himself outside Satriale's, the last man standing from the original crew.

I wonder about that yeah. We don't really get to see what kind of lawyer she becomes, but iirc her attitude toward the mafia by the end is basically "what the gently caress did you just say about my family?" and it's not hard to imagine a world where she rationalizes herself into becoming something terrible. But I also kind of forget all the details of how her arc ends

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Meadow 100% becomes a politician. Like a lovely centrist Democrat.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jerusalem posted:

Pretty sure his dad referred to Satriale who's finger he cut off, not the other guy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, I could see her using her law degree to become a local politician like Zellman. And Zellman also started out with big progressive dreams.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

One hundred percent

A lovely Dem who occasionally rails against people talking about The Mob

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

One hundred percent

A lovely Dem who occasionally rails against people talking about The Mob

When they say John Gotti, you say Rudolph Giuliani

i wonder if any line in the show has aged worse than that one. it's a tie between that and "the US army hardly even goes to war anymore" for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Meadow definitely blames Bernie Sanders for Hillary losing.