Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the stupid music poo poo today is search engines, which are all loving terrible and are useless for any indepth research unless someone has specifically asked the question you did, in the exact words, on reddit.

I'm trying to find more examples of music videos where the version of the song used is a completely unique recording

offhand, i can only think of two, maybe three:

new order - the perfect kiss
soundgarden - fell on black days
the waterboys - the whole of the moon

i know the first two were live-on-the-set takes. i remember the waterboys track sounding wildly different between the album cut and the video version - wikipedia says it's the album backing track with live vocals and some overdubs. close enough for my purposes.

but trying to find any more information about other videos like this is basically impossible, goog, bing, and ddg all give a bunch of links to listicles about covers of famous songs, famous music videos, etc.

anyone got any others in mind?

or a better way to research it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I think the Strokes recorded live audio for all their videos. I could be wrong about that but they did for the one I worked on

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LPAVDHo1Elc&pp=ygULVGhlIHN0cm9rZXM%3D

At least that’s the story I was told. If that’s the same audio as the album then whooooooops

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kingo Ligma posted:

I did it. I went to the Jimmy Page Nando's.
It's almost impossible to sit in the window / be seen from outside.
Pretty sure he tipped off the paparazzi himself.

lmao

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I think the video version of Even Flow by Pearl Jam is different from the regular CD recording. I don’t know why I remember this and I don’t know how it would be possible to look up, but it’s a good question.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I think the video version of Even Flow by Pearl Jam is different from the regular CD recording. I don’t know why I remember this and I don’t know how it would be possible to look up, but it’s a good question.

I think the song was remastered in a way that changed a lot of stuff because I remember hearing it on the radio in like 2010 or 11 and the drum pattern sounded totally different from what I remembered years before.

Edit: I’m searching around maybe there’s no truth to this, maybe I was confusing it with the video version like you mentioned.

Edit: oh there was a remixed version that came out in 2009 with a full copy of the original and a remixed version. Maybe they swapped what was playing on the radio for like royalties reasons or something.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 22, 2023

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Not a remix. Looked it up. From wiki:

“An alternate version of the song was recorded with drummer Dave Abbruzzese in 1992 while the band was recording songs for the soundtrack for the 1992 film, Singles.[5] This version was used for the music video,[6] and was used in single releases in the United Kingdom. This version is on Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album, rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991–2003).”

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Not that anyone but me cares, but Johnathan Coulton's Artifical Heart album has a bunch of official videos that are all new versions of the tunes (Except for "Je Suis Rick Springfield.")

It's a great album, and the original video versions are fantastic.

Album: on Piano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3BczbB1Zo

Official video: on Harp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_VEq1AIZmU

This is badass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LR_5yk7bgc

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

I think the Strokes recorded live audio for all their videos. I could be wrong about that but they did for the one I worked on

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LPAVDHo1Elc&pp=ygULVGhlIHN0cm9rZXM%3D

At least that’s the story I was told. If that’s the same audio as the album then whooooooops

This was one of my favorite videos of the 00s, easy, but I had to remind myself how it sounded vs the album version. There's also a version of the video where they're rehearsing the song in the greenscreen room where they're clearly all wired in and playing live, but it sounds like they played it live for the cameras and then overdubbed the studio cut anyway? someone with more sensitive ears and a copy of room on fire can probably tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grZgfp2aFqk

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think the song was remastered in a way that changed a lot of stuff because I remember hearing it on the radio in like 2010 or 11 and the drum pattern sounded totally different from what I remembered years before.

Edit: I’m searching around maybe there’s no truth to this, maybe I was confusing it with the video version like you mentioned.

Edit: oh there was a remixed version that came out in 2009 with a full copy of the original and a remixed version. Maybe they swapped what was playing on the radio for like royalties reasons or something.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Not a remix. Looked it up. From wiki:

“An alternate version of the song was recorded with drummer Dave Abbruzzese in 1992 while the band was recording songs for the soundtrack for the 1992 film, Singles.[5] This version was used for the music video,[6] and was used in single releases in the United Kingdom. This version is on Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album, rearviewmirror (Greatest Hits 1991–2003).”

it's a little of column a and a little of column b - yeah, the video definitely had a different take, but there was a remix of Ten in `09 as boops said, so there's actually three versions floating around. The 09 mix is literally just a different mix, it's the same take as the original studio version, so it's not too different, but it's possible that radio stations or even some radio stations flipped from one to the other. here's that 09 mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEN0142JRgU

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not that anyone but me cares, but Johnathan Coulton's Artifical Heart album has a bunch of official videos that are all new versions of the tunes (Except for "Je Suis Rick Springfield.")

It's a great album, and the original video versions are fantastic.

Album: on Piano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3BczbB1Zo

Official video: on Harp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_VEq1AIZmU

This is badass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LR_5yk7bgc

This is interesting because it's re-recordings for the videos, but specifically for the internet, whereas all the previous cases mentioned were in the MTV pipeline (though I saw 12:51 on Fuse more often than not, back when Fuse played music videos regularly - still the difference between things being done for TV distribution vs youtube) - also I think the artistic intent on the videographer's and Jonathan's part might be a bit different than, for example, the fell on black days video - it's a studio performance, yes, but it still LOOKS like a music video, whereas Coulton is just being filmed giving a studio performance. The NLYLM video is a bit more videoey, if you will.

this particular instance definitely counts, don't get me wrong, but it's not what I initially expected to come across when I started thinking about this.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hexwren posted:

There's also a version of the video where they're rehearsing the song in the greenscreen room where they're clearly all wired in and playing live, but it sounds like they played it live for the cameras and then overdubbed the studio cut anyway?

I’ll defer to you on that then. It was fun getting to hear them actually play even if it was the same song over and over. Most bands of course just lipsynch, but my video experience is also limited so :shrug:

E- maybe they were so bad at lip synching they had to play live! But then it wouldn’t match up as well I’d think. Idk

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m going to doublepost to thank you for this. I was there for a day or two but my memory sucks rear end so anything like that is much appreciated

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-n1t0TulUA

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:allears:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

hexwren posted:

anyone got any others in mind?

or a better way to research it?

Michael Stipe did a live vocal take for the video of REM's "So. Central Rain"

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hey kid!!!

I'm a compressor!

Stop all the sidechainin'!!!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Hey boss, can we buy a PA system?

No, we already have a PA system at the workshop.

The PA system at the workshop:

Sounds pretty terrible for PA stuff but fun as a guitar amp. Nice big spring reverb in there which is the selling point.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t wanna brag, but I’m currently drinking a 311 come original IPA. It’s pretty good, but I feel like they missed a golden opportunity by not making an amber beer instead.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Krustic posted:

I don’t wanna brag, but I’m currently drinking 311 come

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's your mix? Ejaculations!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

I think you’re all mixed up, you don't know what to do.
Next thing you turn around and find the person is you.
Thought a freak might be the thing
But the first could be the last, so just get off of your rear end.
Hear why!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Krustic posted:

missed a golden opportunity by not making an amber beer instead.

lmao

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

p-nutty

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

It seems impossible, but the beer is even better than the band. For sure one of the best band beers and embarrassingly enough I’ve had several. Iron Maiden, deftones, pantera, the sword, Pearl Jam to name a few.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 4, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Why are band beers so popular? Just the licensing money involved, or trying to get a cut of the venue's concessions? Seems a weird thing for so many groups to branch into.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the gwar beer was actually pretty good though

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Turbinosamente posted:

Why are band beers so popular? Just the licensing money involved, or trying to get a cut of the venue's concessions? Seems a weird thing for so many groups to branch into.

Exactly. Band beer is ridiculous.

But I better not catch anybody besmirching the good name of Metallica BLACKENED® brand whiskey though.
It's even "sonically enhanced" during its finishing phase by the distillers playing a bunch of Metallica songs at the barrels, which is something the whiskey brand literally advertises that actually, really happens... so you know it's good.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 4, 2023

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

GreatGreen posted:

It's even "sonically enhanced" during its finishing phase by the distillers playing a bunch of Metallica songs at the barrels, which is something the whiskey brand literally advertises that actually, really happens... so you know it's good.

this has strong vibes of that achewood strip where pat makes ray angry near his compost heap and then ray complains about his plants trying to grow in yelled-at dirt

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Exactly. Band beer is ridiculous.

But I better not catch anybody besmirching the good name of Metallica BLACKENED® brand whiskey though.

That one is even better, since at least Hetfield is not drinking anymore, I think Kirk is also dry?

But band beer is a pretty easy branch, since any band worth a drat is already associated with drinking. You just need to make a deal to slap your logo on a beer, maybe decide a kind of beer. And idiots like me will definitely buy the Temple of the Hair of the Dog beer over a similar pseudo craft beer.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Krustic posted:

It seems impossible, but the beer is even better than the band. For sure one of the best band beers and embarrassingly enough I’ve had several. Iron Maiden, deftones, pantera, the sword, Pearl Jam to name a few.

Surely a Pantera beer is just whatever is cheapest at the gas station where your hot cousin works?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The true musicians beer is one someone else paid for

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

BonHair posted:

That one is even better, since at least Hetfield is not drinking anymore, I think Kirk is also dry?

But band beer is a pretty easy branch, since any band worth a drat is already associated with drinking. You just need to make a deal to slap your logo on a beer, maybe decide a kind of beer. And idiots like me will definitely buy the Temple of the Hair of the Dog beer over a similar pseudo craft beer.

Is Rush a drinking band though? I think they've had one as well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Metallica is a "not supposed to be drinking anymore" band.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Turbinosamente posted:

Is Rush a drinking band though? I think they've had one as well.

Henderson, a local craft brewery in Toronto, makes a Rush Golden Ale branded with the 'star man' imagery from 2112.

Pinball tables are another thing that big bands love to license. Rush just got one, Metallica and Iron Maiden and AC/DC have been out for years, I'm sure there are tons of others. The Metallica table is wicked fun and really easy to get a multiball.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 4, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Mister Speaker posted:

Henderson, a local craft brewery in Toronto, makes a Rush Golden Ale branded with the 'star man' imagery from 2112.

Pinball tables are another thing that big bands love to license. Rush just got one, Metallica and Iron Maiden and AC/DC have been out for years, I'm sure there are tons of others. The Metallica table is wicked fun and really easy to get a multiball.

Rewatching the Rush beer ad I saw on youtube and that is indeed the beer. Pinball tables make more sense to me because of The Who and Tommy making that a thing. Kiss have a well known table too, right?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I saw the Elton John pinball table in a bar and it was probably the oldest pinball machine I’ve ever played. That sort of just resulted in it not being much fun and it was really janky. The ball would just get stuck on the table sometimes.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Rewatching the Rush beer ad I saw on youtube and that is indeed the beer. Pinball tables make more sense to me because of The Who and Tommy making that a thing. Kiss have a well known table too, right?

Kiss have a couple:

https://youtu.be/8OG39TNamsc

https://youtu.be/DEfENGnaigc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I played an old KISS one from the 70s the other day. Super basic, the later ones looked a ton more fun.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Aerosmith table is GREAT, it got me into pinball as an adult. I was bummed when they replaced it with Metallica; playing to Battery is great, but the table wasn’t nearly as interesting.

Next time I’m in NYC I’ve gotta play the one-off A Place To Bury Strangers table that has a smoke machine.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

[quote="Remulak"
Next time I’m in NYC I’ve gotta play the one-off A Place To Bury Strangers table that has a smoke machine.
[/quote]

:eyepop: I don’t even know them but now I have an even better reason to visit Death By Audio

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Second one should be shaped like the Kiss Kasket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

I worked at a comic book store with a guy everyone knows as "Metal Fred" and he would proudly tell you he owned the KISS pinball machine with the unaltered logo because there was a USA and a German version.

German version:

Only registered members can see post attachments!