Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

celadon posted:

How can you resign if you're not of sound mind? Like if you are senile are you capable of retiring legally? Presumably a Senator in a coma wouldn't be capable of retiring, so whats the degree of incapacitation that can be tolerated while still being able to resign?
If a senile Senator resigned, nobody would be legally challenging it. People on both sides of the aisle would be sighing in relief. Why? Calling legal action down on Feinstein would be pointing a shotgun at the Senate as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kale posted:

So when exactly did Bill Barr flip to being an anti Trump commentary guy? I know he peaced out after Jan 6 but like has he been an anti trump legal troubles commentary guy all this time and I just missed it?

I want to say about a year or so ago? I think it was a "Barr has his lips superglued to Trump'a rear end->Trump tried to blame him for one of the things he's now indicted for->Barr has suddenly never been a supporter of Trump and has always been a firm believer in L&O" situations. I think I had whiplash from it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

evilweasel posted:

also it turns out many justices realized they should retire when they get senile, got senile, and it turns out it's hard for someone senile to realize they're senile and remember they ought to resign now that they're senile
Yeah, the ability to notice that something is wrong is quite often the first thing to go. Like, in the summer of one year, my mother was making nervous jokes about forgetting everything. By the following spring, she was insisting nothing was wrong with her even after she walked sock-foot into the snow in search of missing children.

Dementia sucks. She was smart enough to climb the fence to escape the nursing-home garden and move her socks to her hands so her hands wouldn't get hurt but had major cognitive deficits elsewhere. (The staff stopped her on time.)

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Randalor posted:

I want to say about a year or so ago? I think it was a "Barr has his lips superglued to Trump'a rear end->Trump tried to blame him for one of the things he's now indicted for->Barr has suddenly never been a supporter of Trump and has always been a firm believer in L&O" situations. I think I had whiplash from it.
i thought it was after the raid? barr went across the television giving interviews about how screwed trump is. so, like, almost exactly a year?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Justice McKenna (on page 21) and Justice Douglas (page 59) of the pdf linked here both had this happen to them. I think I'd been thinking of Douglas but it apparently happened twice! https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5893&context=uclrev
Note this magnificent falling-piano footnote:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

celadon posted:

How can you resign if you're not of sound mind? Like if you are senile are you capable of retiring legally? Presumably a Senator in a coma wouldn't be capable of retiring, so whats the degree of incapacitation that can be tolerated while still being able to resign?

There's no mental competency check required to retire. If someone is clearly incapable of doing the job, and then they write an official letter saying they're going to resign, then typically the Senate isn't really going to contest the issue.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

InsertPotPun posted:

i thought it was after the raid? barr went across the television giving interviews about how screwed trump is. so, like, almost exactly a year?

I think he sensed where history was going to view Trump and decided he was going to try and not be seen on that side.

An "if that's the way the wind is blowing" profile in courage.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

edit* misread

Kale
May 14, 2010

InsertPotPun posted:

I didn't realize it had been quite that long. I would have guessed a few months maybe. He seemed to be evasive about Trump for a while and now all of a sudden is all John Bolton "Yeah I worked for the guy and hes crazy!!! Like nutso!!!"

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
It’s one thing when you work with a foreign power to get elected but when you cross the line of destroying our “democracy” that’s one line the neocons can’t cross.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Stupid question, but we're not ever going to get a mug shot or even a clip of trump in cuffs, right?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Beastie posted:

Stupid question, but we're not ever going to get a mug shot or even a clip of trump in cuffs, right?

We will get a mugshot when GA indicts.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Surprising no one,

Trump pleads not guilty to charges that he plotted to overturn election

quote:

Former president Donald Trump pleaded not guilty Thursday to charges that he conspired to overturn the results of the 2020 election, appearing in the federal courthouse that sits just blocks away from where his angry supporters stormed the Capitol building in an effort to keep him in power.

The first hearing in former president Donald Trump’s case is set for Aug. 28 at 10 a.m. Judge Tanya Chutkan has been assigned the case. U.S. Magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya told Trump during Thursday’s arraignment that she’s consulted with Chutkan.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So dumb question but what happens at a first hearing?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Charliegrs posted:

So dumb question but what happens at a first hearing?

Indication from reporting is that first hearing a trial date will be set. The timeline for next three weeks is, 7 days for prosecution to write up a timeline for trial. The defense will then have 7 days to draw up a response to that timeline. Hearing on the 28th.

Havent heard a firm report on discovery hearing but it sounds like government wants to drop what they have and hit the ground running, its not classified stuff but rather lots of interview and testimony.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

celadon posted:

She'd be crazy to continue in the senate, but all she has to do is ask to resign. This is something a rational person would do, which would make her qualified and responsible to serve in the senate

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

BDawg posted:

I think he sensed where history was going to view Trump and decided he was going to try and not be seen on that side.

An "if that's the way the wind is blowing" profile in courage.

At least he has enough sense to do that. Josh Hawkley goes around talking about masculinity when he would willing be Trump's human toilet if asked.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this Tweet, and the fact that Rudy allegedly said this line, made me laugh even more at this.

https://twitter.com/ComradeSnake/status/1686876282561150976?t=IPdGP5XfJV1FmEYiZ4YV1g&s=19

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

lol that you cant look at that tweet and even tell what the gently caress it is or where it came from. bang up job elon

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Randalor posted:

I always laugh at the endless, and I mean endless parade of bootlickers that enabled Trump at every turn and then finally go on a PR circuit where they position themselves as an insurgent freedom-fighter that was actually challenging him at every turn and couldn't have been more disgusted with every single crime they smiled through.

Paul Ryan is a good proto-example back in the long-long ago of 2019 which is like an eon ago in this new age of Trumpian politics. Now Barr and Pence are jostling for the crown of Most Culpable But Want Their Reputation Back.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Paul Ryan sucks poo poo on manifold axes, he might be a case study of heretofore unknown shitsucking techniques, but he never seemed on-board with much of anything Trump came up with.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

tracecomplete posted:

Paul Ryan sucks poo poo on manifold axes, he might be a case study of heretofore unknown shitsucking techniques, but he never seemed on-board with much of anything Trump came up with.

https://www.wrn.com/2017/12/ryan-praises-trumps-exquisite-leadership-on-tax-triumph/

quote:

In Washington on Wednesday, House Speaker Paul Ryan of Janesville was effusive in his praise of President Donald Trump, in getting the Republican tax reform package done.

“Something this big, something this generational, something this profound could not have been done without exquisite presidential leadership,” Ryan said.

e: I saw this speech live and it's like he was talking about his biggest crush.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I honestly don't think that Thomas would recuse himself if Ginny were involved in a case brought before SCOTUS.

I also think that RWM would do a ton of leg work to tell us why:

- It's unfair (for some reason)
- (Democratic President Appointed) Judge, (insert name here) didn't recuse themselves from (some other case) some other time (that's unrelated and a thin comparison)
- Liberals (the real racists) hate him for having a white wife
- Who better to hear the case than someone who has all this first hand knowledge?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 4, 2023

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly don't think that Thomas would recuse himself if Ginny were involved in a case brought before SCOTUS.

I think in the grand scheme of things, a No vote wouldn't be much different than a recusal. It really rests on the other conservative judges to save her hide or not.

But I'm speaking in fantasy, god I hope it's Ginny.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We have come a VERY long way since this was BiggerBoat's January 6th Committee TV thread. What do the nay-sayers have now? Trump won't go to jail? I agree. I worry he might be pardoned eventually (though not by himself b/c in my estimation that ship has sailed.)

He is going to trial in DC on this one and I think he'll be found guilty because when Jack Smith brings charges on the co-conspirators they are going to try to flip as well. Enough people are going to serve ol' Donnie up on a platter to save their miserable asses but DOJ will have to insist on guilty pleas to certain (reduced) charges.

If he doesn't vapor-lock first, that is. Reading the speaking indictment, they demonstrated his knowledge beyond a reasonable doubt. The only punishment I can think of is house arrest because I don't think you can put a former POTUS in a prison due to Secret Service protection.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

Kale posted:

So when exactly did Bill Barr flip to being an anti Trump commentary guy? I know he peaced out after Jan 6 but like has he been an anti trump legal troubles commentary guy all this time and I just missed it?

Oldest Article talking about it in depth that I found was in the Atlantic June 27, 2021: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/06/william-barrs-trump-administration-attorney-general/619298/. This is probably the first or one of the first pieces he worked to plant by getting his allies to volunteer as sources and was probably a source himself to provide detailed accountings of private conversations and quotes not previously available to the media. It references Barr's AP Interview that was reported on Dec 1, 2020 by WaPo and others where he rejected the voter fraud claims (and famously caused ketchup to grace the walls of the Oval Office). He resigned 2 weeks later.

When he realized he might still need gainful employment after Jan 20 2021, whether that is for writing, speaking, consulting, or within the legal profession, he got loud fast. He launched a reputational rehabilitation tour a few months after Trump left office and got himself interviews with several talking heads. Now he's a CNN regular, gets on Meet the Press, and gets some Fox spots so they can slap him around a bit. There are big paychecks available for people who have been in the room when big decisions get made, but no one wants to pay six figures to hear from the guy who advised the organizers of the Beer Belly Putsch. In my line of work, House or Senate staffers who actually put pen to paper on some of the major legislation of the past couple decades or former mid-level alphabet agency types get around 10-15k to come in and spout off for 1-2 hours about their opinions on the crisis of the month. Cabinet-level would crack 6 figures for 3-4 hours including prepared remarks, Q&A, and a social event. You probably also have a semi-permanent seat at one of the big consultancies or a boutique place for as long as you want it. Not a bad way to live.

neurobasalmedium fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 4, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dr. Faustus posted:

We have come a VERY long way since this was BiggerBoat's January 6th Committee TV thread. What do the nay-sayers have now? Trump won't go to jail? I agree. I worry he might be pardoned eventually (though not by himself b/c in my estimation that ship has sailed.)

He is going to trial in DC on this one and I think he'll be found guilty because when Jack Smith brings charges on the co-conspirators they are going to try to flip as well. Enough people are going to serve ol' Donnie up on a platter to save their miserable asses but DOJ will have to insist on guilty pleas to certain (reduced) charges.

If he doesn't vapor-lock first, that is. Reading the speaking indictment, they demonstrated his knowledge beyond a reasonable doubt. The only punishment I can think of is house arrest because I don't think you can put a former POTUS in a prison due to Secret Service protection.

If he's pardoned, it will be posthumous by the next Republican POTUS, and only if it's recent enough that Trump still has some level of popular support. If Trump is still alive and not running in 2028, it will be a common campaign promise among Republicans running in that election - whether or not it comes to fruition is a different question.

He 100% will not be jailed at any point - jail is reserved for pretrial detainees, and people serving sentences <1 year. Whether he ends up in prison is an open question, I'd put it at 50-50 on whether he goes to prison or gets some kind of a plea deal that keeps him on house arrest, but is prevented from running for office. I'm not sure how that would work (cannot leave the state for any reason - including running for office? without rallies I don't see him being successful), but I can see it happening.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

He 100% will not be jailed at any point
To be clear I know he won't be jailed, I was referring specifically to prison. I picture a Mar-a-lago house arrest with USSS detail that keeps an eye on him.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It's going to rule if he can never play golf again

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's going to rule if he winds up on cameo.com because that's the only way he can get the attention he needs.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Shooting Blanks posted:

If he's pardoned, it will be posthumous by the next Republican POTUS, and only if it's recent enough that Trump still has some level of popular support. If Trump is still alive and not running in 2028, it will be a common campaign promise among Republicans running in that election - whether or not it comes to fruition is a different question.

He 100% will not be jailed at any point - jail is reserved for pretrial detainees, and people serving sentences <1 year. Whether he ends up in prison is an open question, I'd put it at 50-50 on whether he goes to prison or gets some kind of a plea deal that keeps him on house arrest, but is prevented from running for office. I'm not sure how that would work (cannot leave the state for any reason - including running for office? without rallies I don't see him being successful), but I can see it happening.

I don’t think a plea deal could actually bar him from office.

I think he ends up convicted in at least the documents case and probably the Jan 6 case but I think they do house arrest due to the nightmare security concerns surrounding imprisoning him.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I think he ends up convicted in at least the documents case and probably the Jan 6 case but I think they do house arrest due to the nightmare security concerns surrounding imprisoning him.

They can't bar him from office AFAIK. However, they can set the conditions of his plea deal such that he cannot leave the state without permission from the court, which limits his ability to host rallies. I'm sure there are other terms they could reasonably set that would make it even more difficult to run effectively. The point is whether Smith really wants to pursue this to a verdict, or if he decides that the goal is simply to keep Trump as far away as possible from the levers of power.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
My understanding (from the internet) of plea deals that prevent people from running for office is that they have been done and upheld but that it’s unlikely to be constitutional when running for president simply because the constitution says what the specific requirements are for running. So, theoretically anything not specified in the constitution can not be determinative.

It’s never been tried though so at the end of the day who knows?

I suppose though that if the plea deal is that you agreed that you committed a rebellion or insurrection while filling one of the enumerated positions then as per the 14th amendment you would be ineligible.

It doesn’t matter though, Trumps not going to make plea deal because he’s a winner (just ignore all the many failures in his past).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1687290024625057793

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Who among us hasn't committed a little light reason?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

While he absolutely will never be in general population of a prison, protective custody is totally doable and likely as easy to secure as house arrest. Plus has less chance of a friendly mob of dumbass MAGAs trying to bust him out.

This article seems to cover some options.
https://www.businessinsider.com/secret-service-agent-protect-trump-jail-prison-state-federal-crimes-2021-1

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The states had already weighed in according to their laws. Using false electoral ballots to “send it back” would be fraud.

Also by attempting to deny the lawfully chosen electors from having their votes counted he would have deprived them of their explicit constitutionally granted powers to vote for the president.

These are not 1st amendment speech issues, they are actions taken by Trump and his conspirators to obstruct the purpose of congress meeting on January 06.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What gets me is all these congress members sticking by Trump when he unambiguously tried to have them killed. Trump would have been thrilled if Hawley or Cruz were killed because that was his best bet of delaying the certification. Even Pence, the most direct Target, doesn't seem to want to talk about it. If I were Pence that is ALL I would want to talk about. My book would have had a picture of Trump on the cover with the title, "This motherfucker tried to kill me. "

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Murgos posted:

The states had already weighed in according to their laws. Using false electoral ballots to “send it back” would be fraud.

Also by attempting to deny the lawfully chosen electors from having their votes counted he would have deprived them of their explicit constitutionally granted powers to vote for the president.

These are not 1st amendment speech issues, they are actions taken by Trump and his conspirators to obstruct the purpose of congress meeting on January 06.

Yeah, but that's really hard to defend, so they'd much, much rather make up a different thing and do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

How curious that Trump didn't send in the tanks when the people in charge of the tanks were comparing him to Hitler