Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

Bring back the Moto Droid carbon fiber bodies.

edit: wait, I think it was actually Kevlar in epoxy. What ever it was, it was the best.

I think the Motorola ThinkPhone has a carbon fiber back. Or some kind of woven fiber stuff idk. Either way I think they look cool. Any word on if it's actually getting decent support since it's aimed more for businesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, recent Moto releases for their higher end stuff has had decent promises for updates, but it's anyone's guess at this point if they will actually follow through.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kirbysuperstar posted:

the nexus 4 back was worth it

still the best looking phone I've ever owned. It also wasn't as slippery as my pixel has been.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rap Game Goku posted:

still the best looking phone I've ever owned. It also wasn't as slippery as my pixel has been.

Yeah the rubber sides made it so nice to hold

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone ITT use the Pixel Buds? I recently bought a pair, and I gotta say I'm really impressed at how poorly they seem to work. My phone constantly does not disconnect from them when I put them back in their case.

Pixel 5 is up to date, as far as I can tell the buds are also up to date :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sab669 posted:

Anyone ITT use the Pixel Buds? I recently bought a pair, and I gotta say I'm really impressed at how poorly they seem to work. My phone constantly does not disconnect from them when I put them back in their case.

Pixel 5 is up to date, as far as I can tell the buds are also up to date :shrug:

I have the Pros and this is my one complaint about them. I haven't figured out a reliable way to make them disconnect correctly, so I've taken to just checking my phone whenever I put them away.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Flashy light on the case is a good indication they're charging and have been put in properly, then they definitely disconnect

It's also possible you've got grubby contacts that are stopping it registering as being in the case

It's happened to me a few times over the last year or two but I wouldn't call it a major failing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

hooah posted:

... so I've taken to just checking my phone whenever I put them away.

Is there a way to manually disconnect from my phone, other than disabling bluetooth entirely?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Sab669 posted:

Got pros, absolutely love them, not had a single issue with them

Seconding clean the contacts on the case and the buds

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

Is there a way to manually disconnect from my phone, other than disabling bluetooth entirely?

Long-tap on Bluetooth in your pulldown menu, clock the gear next to the item you want to disconnect, hit disconnect.

I have this problem with my Beats sometimes, too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I have the Pixel Buds Pro and they're the first wireless headphones that have actually worked properly for me. Pixel 7, ymmv.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My Pixel buds A are better in just about every way compared to the Pros except for the once in awhile the noise cancelling comes in handy like in an airplane or public transit. A shame really considering the price difference. If I hadn't got them on steep discount I definitely would've returned them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pixel buds pro are always on steep discount, they regularly get bundled with other devices and then people put them on ebay for about half of MSRP

same goes for galaxy buds

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Xperia 1 V is the first phone I've used since the iPhone 5S that I felt like I didn't need a case on it. Its amazing how the textured back and the ridged side rails make it feel so much sturdier.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

withoutclass posted:

My Pixel buds A are better in just about every way compared to the Pros except for the once in awhile the noise cancelling comes in handy like in an airplane or public transit. A shame really considering the price difference. If I hadn't got them on steep discount I definitely would've returned them.

+1. I vastly prefer the A series to the Pros.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
For me, the Pros have been better at disconnecting in the case than my A's. It rarely happens,but I also clean contacts infrequently.

I have found that the find my buds feature has been almost useless, because by the time I'm in a situation where I need to have the buds ring, the battery has almost always already died, but that's probably a function of where I use them.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got the A buds as a bonus with one of my wife's pixels, and they're perfect at what they do. The battery is comfortably more than I need, too. A shame to hear the upgrade to noise cancelling is otherwise a slight downgrade.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah the Buds A's for me have been excellent other than my ear shape kinda not locking them in all the time.

Google's having a sale for their 25th anniversary which looks like it's 25% off most things as per the Japanese store.

The 7a would come down to about $530AUD which for all I was 50/50 on makes it a lot more enticing than dropping $1400 an S23. Means I can justify upgrading again at an earlier date.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Qylvaran posted:

A shame to hear the upgrade to noise cancelling is otherwise a slight downgrade.

I mean, they aren't. They sound better and the ANC is pretty good. It's just a matter of them not having the wingtips to lock into ears that doesn't make them work as well for some, but there were just as many people who found the wingtips of the A series fatiguing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

I think the Motorola ThinkPhone has a carbon fiber back. Or some kind of woven fiber stuff idk. Either way I think they look cool. Any word on if it's actually getting decent support since it's aimed more for businesses?

bull3964 posted:

I mean, recent Moto releases for their higher end stuff has had decent promises for updates, but it's anyone's guess at this point if they will actually follow through.

Their track record since being acquired by Lenovo suggests they won't.

Personally I wouldn't consider another Motorola until they actually demonstrate they can support a phone in a decent manner for a reasonable length of time, which they have not done since the acquisition.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

He;pl

I dropped my Pixel 5a and now the screen no longer turns on. It does vibrate if I tap the fingerprint sensor or click the power button, so I'm guessing it's on but just no longer displaying.

Fi support tells me I didn't buy device protection for this one. I normally do every time, but maybe it wouldn't let me because I didn't buy this from them?

I'm about to contact UbreakIfix, but before I plunk down $$$ is this an easy enough issue to fix at home?

Glad I kept an old phone handy to switch to! Even if it is a Moto :p

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Screen kit from iFixit is $99 and here are the instructions.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+5a+Screen+Replacement/148892

iFixit is an official Google partner for self repair.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Phone fixed for free, thanks to Google's extended warranty. Whew!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay I am going insane.

I got a Moto One 5G in I wanna say April 2021, so it's not a very old phone. Probably about a week ago, I stopped getting the Turbocharge notification when I plugged it in, now it just says the standard Charging. It still charges to full and charges pretty quick, so that's not the annoying part. Starting a day or two ago, periodically when it's charged, NOW it gives me the "phone charging slowly, use the original charger" notification even though I am.

I've ruled out cord damage and outlet as a possible cause. How plausible is it that it's the adapter? I kinda can't fathom the idea that it's the port on the phone, not only because I haven't caused it any obvious physical damage and it's not that old, but the connection is still snug and tight and whatnot. It doesn't feel like there's anything off there, and I figured if it's the port I probably would've been able to sense SOMETHING.

I'm ordering a new adapter but the notification is annoying as gently caress because it'll pop up for a few seconds, disappear, and then randomly pop up again, seemingly without rhyme or reason.

Could it be the adapter?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Lint in the charging port?

Poke around with a toothpick or pointy plastic, be amazed at the crud that comes out.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Branch Nvidian posted:

The Xperia 1 V is the first phone I've used since the iPhone 5S that I felt like I didn't need a case on it. Its amazing how the textured back and the ridged side rails make it feel so much sturdier.

This phone checks a lot of boxes for me except price. I'm keeping an eye out for sales. Is there anything you dislike about it?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Puddin posted:

Lint in the charging port?

Poke around with a toothpick or pointy plastic, be amazed at the crud that comes out.

Could be that too I guess. Is that safe to do without risking any damage? I wouldn't wanna gently caress poo poo up worse.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Screama posted:

This phone checks a lot of boxes for me except price. I'm keeping an eye out for sales. Is there anything you dislike about it?

Honestly the price is the biggest issue when you consider a few omissions that some cheaper devices have like a variable refresh screen. Curious what the Xperia 5 V will retail for, since it will keep almost all of the stuff the 1 V has, but be a little smaller with a 1080p screen (instead of a 4K screen that switches to 1080p in most situations) and looks like it'll lack the physical telephoto camera and instead use super resolution with the new Exmor T sensor. Haven't hit any deal breakers or major issues yet, but I've also only had it since Sunday. If some weird poo poo arises I'll talk about it in here.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Could be that too I guess. Is that safe to do without risking any damage? I wouldn't wanna gently caress poo poo up worse.

It hasn't hurt my ports, and I do it once a month.

I normally cut a piece of plastic off like the packaging of batteries or SD cards into a long sharp point.

I wouldn't use anything metal in case of shorting/damaging any pins.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Why's Google creating every dumb device except for a pixel mini

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Because it would sell less than the Pixel Fold.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I hate that you're right.

Guess it's time for a Samsung

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the zenfone 10 is there if you want a small flagship with stock-ish android, google isn't going to give you one

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I just upgraded from an OG Pixel XL to a S23 Ultra. Is it worth using the Samsung ecosystem (keyboard, bixby, etc)? What are the biggest changes that I'm going to see?

Also case recommendations? I picked up the Spigen Rugged Armour but not too happy with it.

Lastly, is there a way for me to sync my photos and videos back to my Pixel XL, so that it can upload them to Google for the free photos storage?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I just upgraded from an OG Pixel XL to a S23 Ultra. Is it worth using the Samsung ecosystem (keyboard, bixby, etc)? What are the biggest changes that I'm going to see?

Also case recommendations? I picked up the Spigen Rugged Armour but not too happy with it.

Lastly, is there a way for me to sync my photos and videos back to my Pixel XL, so that it can upload them to Google for the free photos storage?

Not an expert but I also have an s23u

It's been years since I tried bixby, first thing I do on a a new phone is turn it off.

I don't use their keyboard but it doesn't seem horrible. I've been using SwiftKey forever and I refuse to try anything else.

I have the Spigen liquid air and I really like it

Syncthing installed on both devices with the pixel set up as a receiver (or whatever it's called) might work. But I wonder if Google has it set to not give that benefit to pictures taken on other phones. Unless you plan on stripping put the metadata

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is this charger/brand any good?

UGREEN Nexode 100W USB C Charger Plug 4-Port GaN Type C Fast Wall Power Adapter also Supports 20W Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 14 Pro Max, Galaxy S23/S22, Pixel 7, Matebook, etc https://amzn.eu/d/6bFkS0U

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

Got pros, absolutely love them, not had a single issue with them

Seconding clean the contacts on the case and the buds

I did wipe down the buds + case and have also been giving the buds a little extra "push" down into the case and so far haven't had any issues yet this week. I did buy the extra foam tips they sell that are a bit more bulky than the standard rubber ones, maybe those necessitate that little extra shove to get them fully down in the case :shrug:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

I did wipe down the buds + case and have also been giving the buds a little extra "push" down into the case and so far haven't had any issues yet this week. I did buy the extra foam tips they sell that are a bit more bulky than the standard rubber ones, maybe those necessitate that little extra shove to get them fully down in the case :shrug:

The tips not allowing the buds to fully seat into the case is what I'd put my money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this charger/brand any good?

UGREEN Nexode 100W USB C Charger Plug 4-Port GaN Type C Fast Wall Power Adapter also Supports 20W Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 14 Pro Max, Galaxy S23/S22, Pixel 7, Matebook, etc https://amzn.eu/d/6bFkS0U

Haven't heard of it. I really like Anker for price/quality venn. Not the cheapest, but reliable and safe. Works as advertised.

USB C Plug , Anker 737 Charger GaNPrime 120W, PPS 3-Port Fast Wall Charger for MacBook Pro/Air, iPad Pro, Galaxy S22/S21, Dell XPS 13, Note 20/10+, iPhone 13/Pro, and More https://amzn.eu/d/6sov8Rd