Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Honestly nobody gives a gently caress about violating the licence conditions of free software, but doing it to achieve security through obscurity is a lovely risk to take to partially mitigate a non-exploitable vulnerability. Advising a client to do so just makes us look bad as a company on every level.

Security through obserurity .. that reminds there is still a DialUp Special identity group in Windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

How do I build my own DIY weather radar ?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mr. Fix It posted:

firefox is the only non webkit/blink/chromium/whatever browser left so it's your moral imperative to use it
I do, and you'd be amazed how many websites don't work in Firefox. It's the browser wars all over again.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I do, and you'd be amazed how many websites don't work in Firefox. It's the browser wars all over again.

Web developers hear “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” and think “Nothing that a new package manager won’t solve.”

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Arsenic Lupin posted:

i'm sure they exist, but i haven't run across any of them. maybe only really visiting a half-dozen sites keeps me from noticing

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Does every organisation that uses Google Apps Suite Workspace also subscribe to Slack and Zoom? My side gig uses Google and the bundled chat and meeting stuff is really bad, and in true Google fashion it doesn't look like they've developed it much for a few years. I joined a meeting the other day and just assumed that I could hand control of my shared screen to someone else but lol, nope.

devs and product management get slack, IT gets google messenger, and the rest of the company can use messenger, zoom chat or ring central!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Apple continues to half-rear end enterprise support through third parties and that's More poo poo That Pisses Me Off.

Managed iCloud for business they needlessly and deliberately keep behind their basic mdm paywall. The MDM is fine for specific conditions, but anything pas 10 devices and you should be using jamf at the very least. Now that hardware device sales are falling off cliffs and they need services it's literally another print money avenue.

At least we'll get platform SSO in mac os wineo country.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

what websites? i switched back to firefox like 5 years ago and i can't recall a single instance of a website not working properly, other than when i break them with ad blockers

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Mr. Fix It posted:

i'm sure they exist, but i haven't run across any of them. maybe only really visiting a half-dozen sites keeps me from noticing

business.apple.com

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Someone at work named a machine "localhost". It's in AD and everything.

Oh I'm sorry, this isn't the "poo poo that makes you LOL out loud" thread.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Our backups were scheduled using a malformed cron line. We dont have any monthlies. Guess who just got asked to restore something from more than a week ago :thumbsup:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You know what they say about backups you don’t test

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sometimes when I'm asked about my IT experience, I just mention mistakes I've made. Things like making a DNS server its own primary responder, or the time I hosed up an iptables rule on a Saturday and had to take a cab into the office.

This is one of those times.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Added a computer to domain, changed device name, logged off. Hop on next day, no accounts with any sort of permissions above User are recognized nor is the account I used to make the change able to be logged in on.

These computers... friggin loony, imo!!!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

Someone at work named a machine "localhost". It's in AD and everything.

Oh I'm sorry, this isn't the "poo poo that makes you LOL out loud" thread.
How badly did this break things?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

dc3k posted:

yeah i need to know more about home weather stations. been thinking about building one recently.

Do any of your neighbors have a wireless one mounted on the side of their house? I'm pulling data from my neighbor's Acurite 5-in-1 into my Home Assistant server using a cheap RTL-SDR dongle.

The RTL-SDR will also allow you to pull other things into your Home Assistant servers as well, like TPMS data for cars that drive down your street.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

sweet, dude, are you pirating a weather station

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Traveling this week for a new location opening, and because the site changed its opening date multiple times, and its in a heavy tourist area, we couldn't get rooms until late. The closest place is about 45 minutes away, so I can't wait to have get up earlier and get back later all week.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I do a lot of online shopping, and at least once a week some site that wants a form filled in breaks utterly on Firefox, even with extensions off, but works fine on Chrome. Government sites and small online stores are the most likely to fail.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Do any of your neighbors have a wireless one mounted on the side of their house? I'm pulling data from my neighbor's Acurite 5-in-1 into my Home Assistant server using a cheap RTL-SDR dongle.

The RTL-SDR will also allow you to pull other things into your Home Assistant servers as well, like TPMS data for cars that drive down your street.

that's neat, i didn't know you could do that. however i live in a tall building on the edge of a lake. the nearest houses (or any buildings at all that could potentially have one of these) in my line of sight are like 2-3km away and mostly occluded by trees

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

How badly did this break things?

Oddly enough, not at all. "localhost" still resolves to 127.0.0.1 on every other machine, to reach that machine you have to use the fqdn. We have other DNS/AD issues, but this is fine.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mllaneza posted:

Oddly enough, not at all. "localhost" still resolves to 127.0.0.1 on every other machine, to reach that machine you have to use the fqdn. We have other DNS/AD issues, but this is fine.

unless the default settings are messed with, the hosts file (%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts or /etc/hosts) will always be checked before DNS and never overridden.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

That's an interesting way to troll. I should remember to do it sometime.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

sweet, dude, are you pirating a weather station

I mean, no more than someone who's sitting in their backyard listening to the music their neighbor is playing in their backyard is pirating music.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
"I did a ChatGPT search and it said..."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I know it's been going on for a while, but companies that bomb search results for "product+SSO" with their automatically generated pages for their also-ran identity platform that eventually says "yes we can handle SSO to this application via password vaulting and a helper app" are search spam and should be treated as such.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Actuarial Fables posted:

"I did a ChatGPT search and it said..."

"and it vomited out 6 paragraphs of text that looked nice, so I didn't verify it and dumped in straight into a ticket :haw:"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mllaneza posted:

One weird trick to make your laptop unhackable. Sysadmins hate it.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Got asked (told) to spec up and build a PC for a Director's son this week.
First PC I've built in about 5 years (and that was the PC this one is replacing) and everything worked first time. No recabling the front panel LEDs, no PCIe cables not seated properly, no fans on upside down, nothing.

Might buy a lottery ticket on the way home tonight.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

KillHour posted:

One weird trick to make your laptop unhackable. Sysadmins hate it.

A long time ago working for a now-gone appliances and electronics retailer, one of the upsells they did was to basically click next next next on the initial windows startup options and run updates. A dedicated, internet-only vlan was carved out in the stores with a few ports hot for use.

One store in particular decided to use the jack in the manager’s office which was the standard non-pci vlan. For one computer they named it “share”….which was the dfs namespace for the entire company. It happily did the dynamic dns update and surprise, no more file shares for anyone!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Printer wont do dual-sided prints, uh oh!

Check the settings, Optional Duplex Addon isnt enabled - takes a PCL driver.

Try and install - insufficent permissions.

Ive had 4 tickets now that Ive had to kick to someone else since I dont have permissions for simple poo poo like device renames or standard updates :psyduck:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

a thing pissing me off today:

a breaking change in an argument we don't use in the azurerm provider means we may have to manually edit the state for nearly ~300 environments

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
After working with a different site location that is 8 hrs ahead of my time zone and a language barrier to get all their devices to communicate with the new software in the same manner that it interacted with excel... I have to now explain why a database style of storing device input is better than putting everything in multiple weekly Excel sheets

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Whipstickagostop posted:

Got asked (told) to spec up and build a PC for a Director's son this week.
First PC I've built in about 5 years (and that was the PC this one is replacing) and everything worked first time. No recabling the front panel LEDs, no PCIe cables not seated properly, no fans on upside down, nothing.

Might buy a lottery ticket on the way home tonight.

Speaking of the front panel wiring, I wish more companies used the Q-connector idea Asus had for a bit. Or just make the drat thing permanent, pretty sure all the power/reset/LED headers are the same anyways. I hate having to wrangle all those teeny wires & cramp up my fat hands trying to fit everything.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

No, vendor, I will not grant you an account with Domain Admin privs. I don't care how many other places have just granted it to you, there isn't a good reason for this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ratmtattat posted:

No, vendor, I will not grant you an account with Domain Admin privs. I don't care how many other places have just granted it to you, there isn't a good reason for this.

But have you considered that it will make someone's job very slightly easier and you don't actually owe due care to your company because companies are made up bullshit anyways so gently caress security, not your problem?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yesterday, my team was tasked with testing a specific issue in a test environment, to confirm if a big patch in the upcoming Thursday night deployment fixed it.

Team member confirmed the patch did in fact fix it, but discovered a completely separate, high-priority issue.

We documented our findings in the ticket we were assigned to test, and I personally, directly alerted the lead of the deployment that would occur yesterday afternoon. The alert was acknowledged.

Today, I come in to "what did you guys find" and "why didn't you tell the right people" and "miscommunication" all over the place.

I ask what could be done better, and I get "you could have emailed <team lead> about the issue or reported it in an existing ticket related to the deployment."

gently caress I did alert the team lead, and I have no way to know which existing ticket could have caused it. That's why I alerted the team lead.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Show your receipts and tell them to pound sand.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wibla posted:

Show your receipts and tell them to pound sand.

Done.

I'm also going full malicious compliance. I am currently proposing that I spin up an entire project on how to prevent this from ever happening again.

This development team's current process only allows for testing tickets to be created as sub-tasks of user stories, and they also don't allow things to be filed as Defects. Only User Stories are allowed. This means that if someone just finds a problem, their only recourse is to file it on the ticket they're working (a sub-task of a story that may not be part of an impending release, and therefore not considered until the release it's part of) or as a new User Story (to be triaged and worked eventually).

Therefore we clearly need a path to alert the deployment team of potential defects outside their existing process. In this essay, I propose...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ConfusedUs posted:

they also don't allow things to be filed as Defects

I'm going to tell my mentor at work this and see just how bad of a heart attack she has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

ConfusedUs posted:

This means that if someone just finds a problem

It took a while, but this was implemented in our process as a 'NCP' (non-compliant product) and is filed in Jira as such. It's only a 'Defect' ticket if a user finds it. Maybe that helps? :shrug:

I have no idea what the actual difference is, I just fix the bugs.