Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I don't care if it is ageist, nobody above the retirement age should be in government. The fact that our country is still mostly ran by the silent generation is absurd and a huge part of the problem in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh no clue, I'm no expert. Though term limits would go a long way in the long term for having a younger healthy political body which isn't terribly radical or anything. I don't think I need a solution to point to a problem and think that it's bad for the long term health of the country.

I asked because every democracy in the history of the world has had this problem so if it’s a problem for democracy then it’s one we’ve always had.

We have term limits, we call them “elections”

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't care if it is ageist, nobody above the retirement age should be in government. The fact that our country is still mostly ran by the silent generation is absurd and a huge part of the problem in general.

I don't think people over 70 should get to vote. No long term outlook. I'm going to voluntarily stop after 70

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Elected officials who can't be removed from office due to not being capable of performing their role is bad for democracy. I think it's as simple as that. There needs to be a way to remove people who literally can't perform the job and have become a proxy for others to act through. No one elected their handlers, they elected the politician.

That's not so easy. After all, removing elected officials from office is also bad for democracy. And "are they capable of performing their role?" isn't always a clear-cut question either. The whole concept is very vulnerable to anti-democratic manipulation and political maneuvering.

The 25th Amendment at least has the advantage that we already have an elected position whose sole job is to be a backup for the president, which substantially limits the ability to politically exploit its use.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Sounds like you figured it out, Main Paineframe. We need Vice Senators.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When McCain died wasn’t his wife sworn in to temporarily fill in for him? It might have been a different senator but I seem to remember their spouse was the one that was just automatically accepted as their successor until they were formally replaced. I thought it was loving dumb as gently caress back then and I still do today.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh no clue, I'm no expert. Though term limits would go a long way in the long term for having a younger healthy political body which isn't terribly radical or anything. I don't think I need a solution to point to a problem and think that it's bad for the long term health of the country.

Unlike a mandatory retirement age for political office, term limits are not an experiment: we've seen them at the state level and know how they work and what they do. As it turns out, it gives voters less control over who represents them, while party insiders and special interests get more. Also politicians themselves are even more prone to see their seat primarily as a way to set up a sweet new job once they limit out, and less as a reason to serve their constituents since it's not like they have to be popular any more.

Main Paineframe posted:

That's not so easy. After all, removing elected officials from office is also bad for democracy. And "are they capable of performing their role?" isn't always a clear-cut question either. The whole concept is very vulnerable to anti-democratic manipulation and political maneuvering.

The 25th Amendment at least has the advantage that we already have an elected position whose sole job is to be a backup for the president, which substantially limits the ability to politically exploit its use.

Yeah, the "who decides when someone isn't fit to run/serve" question is tricky, since that's easily exploitable. A lot of Constitutional mechanisms were naively/ineptly designed due to adopting an 18th century beta version of constitutional republic and not updating it to fit the times, but making it hard to just disqualify popular candidates unilaterally actually seems to be a good call on balance given how common it is in failed democracies.Even if it sucks in the here and now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Dull Fork posted:

Sounds like you figured it out, Main Paineframe. We need Vice Senators.

They're called Chief of Staff :colbert:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

When McCain died wasn’t his wife sworn in to temporarily fill in for him? It might have been a different senator but I seem to remember their spouse was the one that was just automatically accepted as their successor until they were formally replaced. I thought it was loving dumb as gently caress back then and I still do today.

Nope. Under Arizona law, when an Arizona senator dies, the governor appoints a temporary replacement from the same political party until such time as a special election could be held. The replacement was John Kyl, who basically just took the seat, voted to confirm Kavanaugh, and then resigned the seat. That led to the appointment of a second replacement, Martha McSally, who held the seat through 2019 and 2020 until the special election was finally held (which she lost).

There have been a few cases where a dead legislator's spouse gets appointed to replace them, though. I don't remember names, but the instances I can vaguely remember tended to involve relatively popular legislators dying during or shortly after an election that they won rather handily, leading to the relevant authorities being anxious to appoint someone with clear ties to that legislator rather than just picking someone off their own patronage list.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fart Amplifier posted:

The person they were responding to was making a similar claim that would use polling data to prove: that Trump and Biden are not running neck in neck.

It's a little closer than I'd like.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Nope. Under Arizona law, when an Arizona senator dies, the governor appoints a temporary replacement from the same political party until such time as a special election could be held. The replacement was John Kyl, who basically just took the seat, voted to confirm Kavanaugh, and then resigned the seat. That led to the appointment of a second replacement, Martha McSally, who held the seat through 2019 and 2020 until the special election was finally held (which she lost).

There have been a few cases where a dead legislator's spouse gets appointed to replace them, though. I don't remember names, but the instances I can vaguely remember tended to involve relatively popular legislators dying during or shortly after an election that they won rather handily, leading to the relevant authorities being anxious to appoint someone with clear ties to that legislator rather than just picking someone off their own patronage list.

That used to be the main way women ended up in office, when they were appointed or elected to succeed a dead husband. It's happened relatively recently but was mostly a thing in decades past when it was rare for women to have successful political careers of their own. So far as I know though, it's never happened automatically: it's just that "how about his wife?" is a common suggestion for replacement appointments.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Madkal posted:

Seeing that this is Trump I wonder how many warning he will get for every time he violates the gag order.

A news update I heard today also said he's "not allowed to commit any more crimes" which made me chuckle. Not only for how stupid it is (people should not commit crimes regardless) but also for the idea that I genuinely wonder if he can actually abide by it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Mel Carnahan, the dead MO governor that beat John Ashcroft in 2000 was kind of like this. He died in a plane crash too close to the election to remove him from the ballot, so the campaign selected his widow Jean as an unofficial stand in, and the newly ascended Lt. Gov. promised to appoint her to the vacant seat if Carnahan won on election day.

Here in the Texas state house, we've had wives fill in for Reps on military duty. Rick Noriega, who would go on to lose to John Cornyn in '08, his wife Melissa filled in for him for 8 months when he was deployed in 2005, but she was also a former Houston city councilmember so it's not like she was a neophyte.

E: boy that sure wasnt worth it huh
https://twitter.com/kkruesi/status/1687268018441572352

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 4, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Killer robot posted:

That used to be the main way women ended up in office, when they were appointed or elected to succeed a dead husband. It's happened relatively recently but was mostly a thing in decades past when it was rare for women to have successful political careers of their own. So far as I know though, it's never happened automatically: it's just that "how about his wife?" is a common suggestion for replacement appointments.

On a similar note, segregationist Alabama governor George Wallace got around term limits by having his wife run in 1968 and she won in a landslide. Except then she died in office barely a year later and Wallace didn’t control the lieutenant governor.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

zoux posted:

Mel Carnahan, the dead MO governor that beat John Ashcroft in 2000 was kind of like this. He died in a plane crash too close to the election to remove him from the ballot, so the campaign selected his widow Jean as an unofficial stand in, and the newly ascended Lt. Gov. promised to appoint her to the vacant seat if Carnahan won on election day.

Here in the Texas state house, we've had wives fill in for Reps on military duty. Rick Noriega, who would go on to lose to John Cornyn in '08, his wife Melissa filled in for him for 8 months when he was deployed in 2005, but she was also a former Houston city councilmember so it's not like she was a neophyte.

Knowing that John Ashcroft lost an election to an actual cadaver brings just a small mote of joy to my day. Every day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Then acourse you got Ma and Pa Ferguson. James "Pa" Ferguson was impeached, removed, and barred from holding office in 1917 after he zeroed out the UT budget because they wouldn't fire certain professors who were also political rivals of his. So, he had Miriam, his wife run in 1924, they were absolutely, blatantly running her as a puppet for Pa, and she won and became the state's first female governor.

quote:

During her campaign, she said that voters would get "two governors for the price of one". Her speeches at rallies consisted of introducing him and letting him take the platform. A common campaign slogan was, "Me for Ma, and I Ain't Got a Durned Thing Against Pa." Patricia Bernstein of the Houston Chronicle stated "There was never a question in anyone’s mind as to who was really running things when Ma was governor."

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Main Paineframe posted:

McSally managed to achieve the fairly unique feat of losing election to both the senior and junior Senate seats of the same state within two years of one another.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Then acourse you got Ma and Pa Ferguson. James "Pa" Ferguson was impeached, removed, and barred from holding office in 1917 after he zeroed out the UT budget because they wouldn't fire certain professors who were also political rivals of his. So, he had Miriam, his wife run in 1924, they were absolutely, blatantly running her as a puppet for Pa, and she won and became the state's first female governor.

George Wallace couldn't run for reelection due to consecutive terms served, so his wife (his second, who he married when she was 16 years old) ran in his place and won.

Also his wife had cancer.

Also the doctor hadn't told her about the cancer, only Wallace.

The cancer devoured her to the point they needed a closed casket at her funeral.

edit* sorry, got his wives confused. He married 16 yo Lurleen when he was 24 which was not scandalous back then, and is probably not that scandalous in alabama now. His second wife was 20 years younger than him.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 4, 2023

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think there needs to be some way to disqualify people from holding office, but I'm not sure age is the right fit for it. You can get dementia in your 30's if you're very unlucky.

At the very least getting diagnosed for certain conditions should fast-track you for retirement, and an independent body ought to screen people for that, but then we're in a screaming row about who gets to decide who is technically suffering from life-impairing mental problems.

In a sane world, people who are obviously too old to function wouldn't be able to win elections at all, that's where the problem needs to first be settled.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Kalit posted:

This definitely wouldn’t work on a state or federal level due to the percentage of home ownership. If it was specific for a medium/large city, maaaaybe? But then I feel like you’d end up with the rental market diminished and have a hosed city budget.

There’s probably some sweet spot to adjust taxes, but I think it would be far from primary residences being exempt from property taxes, since that’s a huge source of town/city budgets

Most places do this already though, usually with something called a "Homestead exemption"

If you can prove the place you own is a primary residence, you get a discount off the property taxes, in some places it's like > 50%. They also add additional excise taxes past a certain number of properties.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1687198419910275072

Big Boy's been arraigned (again). We'll see if he violates the gag order before five pm.

That's why all his co-conspirators have the same lawyer, to get around that requirement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Instead you've got a lower age limit of 35 for the highest office, for... some reason.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Instead you've got a lower age limit of 35 for the highest office, for... some reason.

Not just president. You have to be 30 to be a senator and 25 to be a representative.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

I think there needs to be some way to disqualify people from holding office, but I'm not sure age is the right fit for it. You can get dementia in your 30's if you're very unlucky.

At the very least getting diagnosed for certain conditions should fast-track you for retirement, and an independent body ought to screen people for that, but then we're in a screaming row about who gets to decide who is technically suffering from life-impairing mental problems.

In a sane world, people who are obviously too old to function wouldn't be able to win elections at all, that's where the problem needs to first be settled.

Historically, we have had a disqualification mechanism, in the form of "if someone seems like they're not physically or mentally able to hold office, no one will vote for them and they'll lose the election in a landslide". That's why, for example, FDR went to great pains to conceal his polio-caused health issues, and why there was quite a bit of attention paid to Fetterman's campaign-trail stroke.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

David Brook has written something. I know the general rule is to comment when posting singing like this. I’m not going to do that. This isn’t a normal OPed. It’s going to take me a while to be able to have the words for what I think about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/02/opinion/trump-meritocracy-educated.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

“NYTs” posted:

Donald Trump seems to get indicted on a weekly basis. Yet he is utterly dominating his Republican rivals in the polls, and he is tied with Joe Biden in the general election surveys. Trump’s poll numbers are stronger against Biden now than at any time in 2020.

What’s going on here? Why is this guy still politically viable, after all he’s done?

We anti-Trumpers often tell a story to explain that. It was encapsulated in a quote the University of North Carolina political scientist Marc Hetherington gave to my colleague Thomas B. Edsall recently: “Republicans see a world changing around them uncomfortably fast, and they want it to slow down, maybe even take a step backward. But if you are a person of color, a woman who values gender equality or an L.G.B.T. person, would you want to go back to 1963? I doubt it.”

In this story, we anti-Trumpers are the good guys, the forces of progress and enlightenment. The Trumpers are reactionary bigots and authoritarians. Many Republicans support Trump no matter what, according to this story, because at the end of the day, he’s still the bigot in chief, the embodiment of their resentments and that’s what matters to them most.

I partly agree with this story, but it’s also a monument to elite self-satisfaction.

So let me try another story on you. I ask you to try on a vantage point in which we anti-Trumpers are not the eternal good guys. In fact, we’re the bad guys.

This story begins in the 1960s, when high school grads had to go off to fight in Vietnam but the children of the educated class got college deferments. It continues in the 1970s, when the authorities imposed busing on working-class areas in Boston but not on the upscale communities like Wellesley where they themselves lived.

The ideal that we’re all in this together was replaced with the reality that the educated class lives in a world up here and everybody else is forced into a world down there. Members of our class are always publicly speaking out for the marginalized, but somehow we always end up building systems that serve ourselves.

The most important of those systems is the modern meritocracy. We built an entire social order that sorts and excludes people on the basis of the quality that we possess most: academic achievement. Highly educated parents go to elite schools, marry each other, work at high-paying professional jobs and pour enormous resources into our children, who get into the same elite schools, marry each other and pass their exclusive class privileges down from generation to generation.

Daniel Markovits summarized years of research in his book “The Meritocracy Trap”: “Today, middle-class children lose out to the rich children at school, and middle-class adults lose out to elite graduates at work. Meritocracy blocks the middle class from opportunity. Then it blames those who lose a competition for income and status that, even when everyone plays by the rules, only the rich can win.”

The meritocracy isn’t only a system of exclusion; it’s an ethos. During his presidency, Barack Obama used the word “smart” in the context of his policies over 900 times. The implication was that anybody who disagreed with his policies (and perhaps didn’t go to Harvard Law) must be stupid.

Over the last decades, we’ve taken over whole professions and locked everybody else out. When I began my journalism career in Chicago in the 1980s, there were still some old crusty working-class guys around the newsroom. Now we’re not only a college-dominated profession; we’re an elite-college-dominated profession. Only 0.8 percent of college students graduate from the super-elite 12 schools (the Ivy League colleges, plus Stanford, M.I.T., Duke and the University of Chicago). A 2018 study found that more than 50 percent of the staff writers at the beloved New York Times and The Wall Street Journal attended one of the 29 most elite universities in the nation.

Writing in Compact magazine, Michael Lind observes that the upper-middle-class job market looks like a candelabrum: “Those who manage to squeeze through the stem of a few prestigious colleges and universities in their youth can then branch out to fill leadership positions in almost every vocation.”

Or, as Markovits puts it, “elite graduates monopolize the best jobs and at the same time invent new technologies that privilege superskilled workers, making the best jobs better and all other jobs worse.”

Members of our class also segregate ourselves into a few booming metro areas: San Francisco, D.C., Austin and so on. In 2020, Biden won only 500 or so counties, but together they are responsible for 71 percent of the American economy. Trump won over 2,500 counties, responsible for only 29 percent. Once we find our cliques, we don’t get out much. In the book “Social Class in the 21st Century,” the sociologist Mike Savage and his co-researchers found that the members of the highly educated class tend to be the most insular, measured by how often we have contact with those who have jobs unlike our own.

Armed with all kinds of economic, cultural and political power, we support policies that help ourselves. Free trade makes the products we buy cheaper, and our jobs are unlikely to be moved to China. Open immigration makes our service staff cheaper, but new, less-educated immigrants aren’t likely to put downward pressure on our wages.

Like all elites, we use language and mores as tools to recognize one another and exclude others. Using words like “problematic,” “cisgender,” “Latinx” and “intersectional” is a sure sign that you’ve got cultural capital coming out of your ears. Meanwhile, members of the less-educated classes have to walk on eggshells because they never know when we’ve changed the usage rules so that something that was sayable five years ago now gets you fired.

We also change the moral norms in ways that suit ourselves, never mind the cost to others. For example, there used to be a norm that discouraged people from having children outside marriage, but that got washed away during our period of cultural dominance, as we eroded norms that seemed judgmental or that might inhibit individual freedom.

After this social norm was eroded, a funny thing happened. Members of our class still overwhelmingly married and had children within wedlock. People without our resources, unsupported by social norms, were less able to do that. As Adrian Wooldridge points out in his magisterial 2021 book, “The Aristocracy of Talent,” “Sixty percent of births to women with only a high school certificate occur out of wedlock, compared with only 10 percent to women with a university degree.” That matters, he continues, because “the rate of single parenting is the most significant predictor of social immobility in the country.”

Does this mean that I think the people in my class are vicious and evil? No. Most of us are earnest, kind and public-spirited. But we take for granted and benefit from systems that have become oppressive. Elite institutions have become so politically progressive in part because the people in them want to feel good about themselves as they take part in systems that exclude and reject.

It’s easy to understand why people in less-educated classes would conclude that they are under economic, political, cultural and moral assault — and why they’ve rallied around Trump as their best warrior against the educated class. He understood that it’s not the entrepreneurs who seem most threatening to workers; it’s the professional class. Trump understood that there was great demand for a leader who would stick his thumb in our eyes on a daily basis and reject the whole epistemic regime that we rode in on.

If distrustful populism is your basic worldview, the Trump indictments seem like just another skirmish in the class war between the professionals and the workers, another assault by a bunch of coastal lawyers who want to take down the man who most aggressively stands up to them. Of course, the indictments don’t cause Trump supporters to abandon him. They cause them to become more fiercely loyal. That’s the polling story of the last six months.

Are Trump supporters right that the indictments are just a political witch hunt? Of course not. As a card-carrying member of my class, I still basically trust the legal system and the neutral arbiters of justice. Trump is a monster in the way we’ve all been saying for years and deserves to go to prison.

But there’s a larger context here. As the sociologist E. Digby Baltzell wrote decades ago, “History is a graveyard of classes which have preferred caste privileges to leadership.” That is the destiny our class is now flirting with. We can condemn the Trumpian populists until the cows come home, but the real question is: When will we stop behaving in ways that make Trumpism inevitable?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
david brooks develops class consciousness in the nytimes Op-Ed page. The writers room has really outdone themselves this time.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Brooks comes uncharacteristically close to talking about the role of the media wrt Trump, but he gets carried away talking about anti-woke stuff that nobody cares about and Josh Hawley's imaginary multiracial working-class GOP.

His argument about the Trump indictments misses that Biden won lower income voters, Trump won higher income voters, the working class lives mostly in cities because those are the places where people live, and "working class" is not the same as "white voters without college degrees".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Of course the problem is education. The entire column just keep bumping up against the money thing, only to increase the volume on the insistence that it's all about elite ivory tower academia. If only we were more accommodating to the stupid oafs, maybe Trump would go away. Shut up about wealth inequality!

Edit: It's like most elaborate allegorical retelling of the Oil Can scene in The Jerk.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 4, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's basically the same poo poo of when for your entire life you aren't allowed to acknowledge material conditions at all, (because that makes you a filthy red) to the point where you don't even know how if you wanted to, analysis ends up entirely about the trappings of class through a lens of cartoon stereotypes, and an excuse to beat on the same punching bags as ever. We see this op-ed more or less every week from the useless middle.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Natty Ninefingers posted:

david brooks develops class consciousness in the nytimes Op-Ed page. The writers room has really outdone themselves this time.

uhhh i think that's less class consciousness and more turning up the racism/RETVRN dial, friend--he doesn't want elites to release power but to get way, WAY more trad

"" posted:

“History is a graveyard of classes which have preferred caste privileges to leadership.” That is the destiny our class is now flirting with.

what he means here is that the ruling elite should show "leadership" by clamping down on the "caste privileges" of having out gays and integrated schools and not ostracizing single mothers

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 4, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gyges posted:

Of course the problem is education. The entire column just keep bumping up against the money thing, only to increase the volume on the insistence that it's all about elite ivory tower academia. If only we were more accommodating to the stupid oafs, maybe Trump would go away. Shut up about wealth inequality!

Edit: It's like most elaborate allegorical retelling of the Oil Can scene in The Jerk.

Right? He seemed to brush right up against the idea that the educated elite always call the shots and that a lot of normal people can never gain access to that level of education but he never addresses the ideas of affordable college, generational wealth and near impossibility of upward mobility. Then somehow posits Donald Trump as the logical answer (for many people) to all that entrenched wealth and power. A man who was born rich for one thing.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1687199702180319237

For those not familiar with said movie, this was the turbo-racist movie starring Jim Caviezel that came out earlier this year about child trafficking!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bellmaker posted:

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1687199702180319237

For those not familiar with said movie, this was the turbo-racist movie starring Jim Caviezel that came out earlier this year about child trafficking!
When you spend 5 minutes digging into the OUR group that this movie is ‘based’ on, it’s not at all surprising that one of their backers is a weirdo

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
What do people think is most novel in the Brooks oped? (The way that i'm phrasing this seems snarky, but I'm genuinely curious.)

Seems like the same safe class self criticism that is often his wheelhouse. Like isn't that what bobos in paradise was about? https://www.amazon.com/Bobos-Paradi...mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BiggerBoat posted:

Right? He seemed to brush right up against the idea that the educated elite always call the shots and that a lot of normal people can never gain access to that level of education but he never addresses the ideas of affordable college, generational wealth and near impossibility of upward mobility. Then somehow posits Donald Trump as the logical answer (for many people) to all that entrenched wealth and power. A man who was born rich for one thing.

I mean, he's so close to grasping that the answer to these issues is socialism, and people who can't get socialism, turn to fascism instead. . . . but he just can't get there, mentally. It's like watching a Renaissance astronomer derive calculus from first principles, just so he can figure out how many epicycles to add to make sure the planets all orbit correctly around Earth.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Brooks is close to correct like an anglerfish is close to a lightbulb. It’s a hook.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Considering where Brooks was 10-15 years ago that column is actually really impressive.

There are some conservative pundits who have just been like, "gently caress this, I'm out" during the Trump era, like Nicole Wallace, and basically just joined Team Lib like they had always been there, but Brooks has been clinging to his self-image as a conservative and a Republican despite clearly noticing that there's not really any reason to. So now he's reduced to coming up with reasons why other people do.

Brooks is way too old to decide that "actually, I've been wrong about socialism my whole life," but he does point out some legitimate problems in the piece, doesn't he? He doesn't attack the idea of "wokeism" so much as he just explains - pretty well, I think, better than these things usually do - why it bothers some people so much. And his explanations of how class conflict flows through generations are pretty good.

My biggest problems with it (aside from Brooks being pathologically unable to name actual solutions because of his ideology) are

1. Ignoring that faction of "the elites" that directly funds the right wing and intentionally makes the working class angry, in the way that the liberal elites carelessly are.

2. Kind of glossing over that while there are a lot of them, working class Trump voters are not necessarily representative of the average member of the working class, or representative of the average Trump voter.

It's also, like, incredibly inward looking - are "we" the bad guys? Like, I feel like I'm reading Brooks's inside-baseball conversation with one of the six guys in America who holds his precise political views. Which, it's interesting, but why not talk to us instead, David? Maybe you want to say "sorry"?

e: Somebody in the comments compared Brooks to Peggy Noonan, which, I don't know if they meant it this way, but :iceburn:

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 4, 2023

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, he's so close to grasping that the answer to these issues is socialism, and people who can't get socialism, turn to fascism instead. . . . but he just can't get there, mentally. It's like watching a Renaissance astronomer derive calculus from first principles, just so he can figure out how many epicycles to add to make sure the planets all orbit correctly around Earth.

Try this half formed argument on for size-

In my opinion the reason this critique smells like socialism is because it is derived from ex trots that went to the national review like james burnham (see his managerial revolution and the machiavellians.) Someone like David Brooks draws more centrist end of the critique whereas someone like sam francis represented the racist right wing of the critique- The whole "the old bourgeois is gone and now we have a managerial elite." However, its origins are heavily intertwined with anti-communism so someone like David Brooks who came into the tradition from the right is unlikely to redirect this intellectual lineage back to its socialistic origins.

Here's a quote from sam francis in 1996 making a case for the buchananite wing of the party (a movement that trump has cribbed tons from):

"The significant polarization within American society is between the elites, increasingly unified as a ruling class that relies on the national state as its principal instrument of power, and Middle America itself, which lacks the technocratic and managerial skills that yield control of the machinery of power. Other polarities and conflicts within American society—between religious and secular, white and black, national and global, worker and management—are beginning to fit into this larger polarity of Middle American and Ruling Class. The Ruling Class uses and is used by secularist, globalist, anti-white, and anti-Western forces for its and their advantage."
https://chroniclesmagazine.org/web/from-household-to-nation/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Nah, David Brooks has been like this for a long time, because he's got a lot of personal resentment against people who went to top schools.

As a Jewish kid who went to a state university, he reportedly didn't really fit in among the parade of rich WASPs working at places like the Weekly Standard. And when he was hired by the NYT as a token conservative he found that his co-workers there hated him even more than the conservative journalists did, something he chose to blame on them being ivory-tower intellectuals who were out of touch with REAL AMERICANS like himself. On top of that, he's mentioned that that his parents (both of whom are professors) aren't particularly supportive of his tendency to never let facts get in the way of his preferred narrative, although he frames it as the result of baseless slander from the journalistic class turning his own parents against him.

Brooks is like that - he tends to blend his own personal resentments and humiliations into his own conservative ideology. For example, he developed his strong hatred for marijuana because he once showed up to English class mega-stoned on a day he was due to give a presentation, and is forever haunted by the embarrassment of incoherently stumbling through his presentation in front of the whole class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So kind of like the guy who figured out the oddities in Uranus's orbit was caused by another planet and predicted Neptune's location (it was found within a year using his math) ...but couldn't figure out why Mercury's orbit was so erratic, threw up his hands and said there was a planet even closer to the sun perturbing Mercury's orbit.

Only in Urbain Le Verrier's case the missing piece of information he needed to accurately math out Mercury's orbit was Einstein's relativity, while in David Brook's case he's missing the ability to extract his head from his own rear end.