Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Interesting. Based on pre-war photos of the ship, it looks like they couldn't have fired on the drone even if they knew it was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Nah, this is a trick from the old playbook. The earliest firefight simulator I know of is WW1, but the US used it to great effect in Vietnam particularly.

US SoF forces used to make and carry what they nicknamed "Mockingbirds"- a piece of material like cardboard with a series of det cord, blasting caps, and other assorted goodies- that simulated an engagement. Since these were homemade devices, they could be made with delay starts, pauses, and increased tempos to give the false impression of a fight. SOG used to drop them around various Landing Zones to distract the LZ watchers and draw forces away from the insert.

They were also introduced and utilized in some immediate action drills.

Being surrounded creates a unique psychological effect. Drones you can hear and see, and are an accepted part of it. Thinking you are surrounded by sneaky fucks who want to slit your throat being guided by drones. These are also cheaper and easier than the Drone Bombing program, and require less technical skill to use.

I've never been fully surrounded that I know of. It came pretty close; when we pulled out, we had 3 sides occupied and contested by the enemy, and to our rear, they had ambushed the armor. It's... not a cool and good feeling.

During Operation Overlord, the Allies dropped dummies that had poppers on them to confuse the Germans. No idea how effective it was.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

psydude posted:

During Operation Overlord, the Allies dropped dummies that had poppers on them to confuse the Germans. No idea how effective it was.

They probably just got high

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

psydude posted:

The way I've heard it, the dummies were supposedly more effective because the drops were such a poo poo show. Real paratroopers were falling all over the countryside and those real paratroopers were the cause of real, sporadic gunfire all over the place, and that made the dummies seem perfectly believable in the dark

It makes sense to me, but like so much D Day stuff, it feels like there's a dozen layers of myth surrounding the mundane answer, so all I know for certain is that they were dropped and did confuse some German infantry at some point between falling from the plane and the sun rising

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

The way I've heard it, the dummies were supposedly more effective because the drops were such a poo poo show. Real paratroopers were falling all over the countryside and those real paratroopers were the cause of real, sporadic gunfire all over the place, and that made the dummies seem perfectly believable in the dark

It makes sense to me, but like so much D Day stuff, it feels like there's a dozen layers of myth surrounding the mundane answer, so all I know for certain is that they were dropped and did confuse some German infantry at some point between falling from the plane and the sun rising

It was in the movie The Longest Day with John Wayne so it has to be real. :colbert:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

Don't forget the dummies were dropped not in Normandy, but in Calais as part of the Fortitude ruse, so two hundred miles from the landing zones and beaches.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cimber posted:

Don't forget the dummies were dropped not in Normandy, but in Calais as part of the Fortitude ruse, so two hundred miles from the landing zones and beaches.

I know they did stuff with the fake sea landings, but I thought the last part of Titanic was to draw troops away from real 101st operations

Just Another Lurker posted:

It was in the movie The Longest Day with John Wayne so it has to be real. :colbert:

For all I know, that could be where I heard it, I loving loved John Wayne movies as a kid

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s a full documentary about the ghost army

https://youtu.be/6g1H3GJqBkc

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I was reading why the counteroffensive is going slowly compared to other ones, and one of the issues was the fact that the defensive lines are so heavily mined in some spots it is 4 mines per square meter.

I wonder if the ol' creeping barage concept might be useful once again? Have troops move foreward behind the shell fire which detonates the mines for them?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It doesnt reliably detonate them though

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Just Another Lurker posted:

Man, of all the scenes, the one where the Mauser sounds like the paratrooper crickets felt so dumb and out of place.

Cimber posted:

I was reading why the counteroffensive is going slowly compared to other ones, and one of the issues was the fact that the defensive lines are so heavily mined in some spots it is 4 mines per square meter.

Apparently, the minefields are also up to like 1km+ deep in places.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently the Ukrainians getting trained on the Leopard 2 in Germany asked the trainers how to deal with minefields and the response was to "just go around" and they didn't understand why that wasn't an option.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

McGavin posted:

Apparently the Ukrainians getting trained on the Leopard 2 in Germany asked the trainers how to deal with minefields and the response was to "just go around" and they didn't understand why that wasn't an option.

Calling Hobart and his funnies!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowy posted:

There’s a full documentary about the ghost army

WW2 in Real Time did an hour-by-hour special on D-Day, midnight to midnight. It's hourly videos on their other channel, here's the big chunk on the airborne landings,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0AKc7xxQQk

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

McGavin posted:

I'm reminded of one meme very early on imaging a cadre of battle hardened Ukrainian soldiers training with the US to get Abrams or something, each one having more battlefield experience than the trainers combined, asking questions stemming from hard fought experience about situations the trainers never would have imagined. Who knew memes could be prescient.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's also bollocks, mine clearing and recovery vehicles were some big ticket items Ukraine received, because obviously Ukraine needs those, because you don't leave gaps in mine fields unless you want someone to drive into them.

I don't think anyone expected mine fields be this deep, though.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

It's also bollocks, mine clearing and recovery vehicles were some big ticket items Ukraine received, because obviously Ukraine needs those, because you don't leave gaps in mine fields unless you want someone to drive into them.

I don't think anyone expected mine fields be this deep, though.

Salting the earth for years to come unfortunately :/

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Am I overestimating the minefield density, or are they also going to sort of limit Russia's potential avenues for a theoretical counteroffensive?

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Dandywalken posted:

Am I overestimating the minefield density, or are they also going to sort of limit Russia's potential avenues for a theoretical counteroffensive?

Russia understands that this is as far as they are gonna get and want to keep what they have now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Meshka posted:

Russia understands that this is as far as they are gonna get and want to keep what they have now.

If by some miracle Russia regains the strength and competence to try to take territory, they still have the options of an amphibious landing near Odessa or new invasions from the North or Belarus. They don't have to attack across No Man's Land.

I'm not suggesting that Russia can actually do this, just that they have attack directions available to them that Ukraine can't employ, unless they take leave of their senses and decide to conduct a proper invasion of Russia.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Meshka posted:

More likely they want to make the Ukrainians bleed themselves dry battering themselves up against the fields until they cry uncle and agree to concede land.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

A.o.D. posted:

If by some miracle Russia regains the strength and competence to try to take territory, they still have the options of an amphibious landing near Odessa or new invasions from the North or Belarus. They don't have to attack across No Man's Land.

I'm not suggesting that Russia can actually do this, just that they have attack directions available to them that Ukraine can't employ, unless they take leave of their senses and decide to conduct a proper invasion of Russia.

Ukraine should simply take Belarus and trade it back for their occupied territories. I'm a strategic genius.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Ukraine should simply take Belarus and trade it back for their occupied territories. I'm a strategic genius.

Someone get this person a think tank ASAP!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PurpleXVI posted:

Post that on Twitter X and watch the offers to write think pieces for every major newspaper roll in.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

That's why Wagner is in Belarus! Russia is still winning this game of 5D Candyland

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Door Frame posted:

That's why Wagner is in Belarus! Russia is still winning this game of 5D Candyland
If Belarus is ruled by a renegade PMC, surely Russia cannot complain if they get blown up with HIMARS.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nessus posted:

If Belarus is ruled by a renegade PMC, surely Russia cannot complain if they get blown up with HIMARS.

Whats the idiots version of Outer Heaven?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

This but unironically so long as they take the nukes that Russia placed there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1687577041888022528

quote:

Early reports of heavy fire now underway on a portion of the Kerch Strait bridge.

Motorists are being evacuated from their cars. Attack appears to be ongoing.

Ohhhh baby. Please bring that sucker down, or at least completely ruin it for travel.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

That Works posted:

I didn't want to let this go unnoticed before the bridge blows up. Bridge CHAT blows up. Either way, I appreciated this.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The only good bridge is a dead bridge!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say blow them all up!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A.o.D. posted:

I'm from Buenos Aires and I say blow them all up!

get this anti-nato sentiment out of here

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

The only good bridge is a dead bridge!

Refarted fuhr floodlust

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flyinglemur posted:

I didn't want to let this go unnoticed before the bridge blows up. Bridge CHAT blows up. Either way, I appreciated this.

:unsmith:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Flyinglemur posted:

:same:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/1687601666877521920

quote:

A chemical/oil tanker has reportedly been hit near the Kerch Strait Bridge by a Ukrainian drone, per a pro-Russian Telegram group. The Russian owned/operated vessel in question is SIG (IMO: 9735335), which has been under U.S. sanctions since 2019 for jet fuel deliveries to Syria.

So perhaps not the bridge, but a fuel tanker.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is kind of awesome though.

"You want to block the Kerch Strait and stop Ukrainian shipping into the Sea of Azov and Black Sea? Fine. We'll just terror bomb all your shipping in the area."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That Works posted:

of course they were high, the point of parachuting is to jump from a high place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

AlternateNu posted:

This is kind of awesome though.

"You want to block the Kerch Strait and stop Ukrainian shipping into the Sea of Azov and Black Sea? Fine. We'll just terror bomb all your shipping in the area."

I don't think there's anything awesome at all about a tanker getting holed to be honest. If that thing was laden it's another catastrophe for the region.