Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Punished Ape posted:

So was that pilot error or wind or what?

Both.

When landing in a crosswind, you're supposed to apply aileron into the wind on the rollout to keep the upwind wing from lifting, and the windsock seems to show a pretty good crosswind from the left.

The pilot seemingly didn't do that (or didn't do enough), and the situation was exacerbated by the fact that the airplane has a relatively narrow main gear span and a high wing, which makes it more susceptible to trying to roll in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Is that even a full paved runway? It almost looks like he got stuck in a rut

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Booger Presley posted:

Reno here, similar poo poo happened and messed up many of my friends.

Being off, I can help them talk through stuff.

what?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Why do you gotta get all personal with that post, man?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BUG JUG posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the 8th AF buck sergeant just nodding along at the end, "yup...yup...happens all the time..."

Generic AAF, not 8th AF

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

It looks like a grass runway.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was still stationed at Bragg when this happened. A friend of mine was a medic with the 429th Med Company (Ambulance) and he and his partner were first responders. It was completely hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4L50eMI8gY

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was still stationed at Bragg when this happened. A friend of mine was a medic with the 429th Med Company (Ambulance) and he and his partner were first responders. It was completely hosed up.

Got that mixed up with the hotdog who overbanked a b-52 in 94 at first

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Reno Air races a few years ago. Plane crashed into the crowd and killed/mangled a bunch of people.

I had friends there who were struggling with the experience and what they witnessed. I am off due to deployments, gunfights and poo poo and I tried to support them the best I could.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

To expand a bit, in 2011, a heavily modified P-51 Mustang went into the crowd at the Reno Air Races, killing 10 spectators and injuring 69.

The crash happened because of a set of circumstances lining up exactly wrong, since the accident airplane had skipped a required inspection (the pilot thought it wasn't required, and the organizers didn't realize it hadn't happened), which meant no one caught the fact that a nut on the elevator trim tab that was supposed to be replaced every time it was removed had been reused for decades, and was loose.

That nut let go during the race, and the failure (combined with how the airplane was modified) caused an immediate 17G pull-up, which blacked out the pilot and resulted in the airplane crashing into box seats on the ramp.

The crash was made worse by the fact that the FAA didn't realize they had two conflicting sets of rules for how far back the crowd line needed to be, with the organizers following one set, and the FAA failing to realize the event didn't comply with the updated rules.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

To expand a bit, in 2011, a heavily modified P-51 Mustang went into the crowd at the Reno Air Races, killing 10 spectators and injuring 69.

The crash happened because of a set of circumstances lining up exactly wrong, since the accident airplane had skipped a required inspection (the pilot thought it wasn't required, and the organizers didn't realize it hadn't happened), which meant no one caught the fact that a nut on the elevator trim tab that was supposed to be replaced every time it was removed had been reused for decades, and was loose.

That nut let go during the race, and the failure (combined with how the airplane was modified) caused an immediate 17G pull-up, which blacked out the pilot and resulted in the airplane crashing into box seats on the ramp.

The crash was made worse by the fact that the FAA didn't realize they had two conflicting sets of rules for how far back the crowd line needed to be, with the organizers following one set, and the FAA failing to realize the event didn't comply with the updated rules.

Thank you for the facts.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Soooo, what’s the status on that kid in North Korea?

Haven’t seen anything overt in the news.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Check the previous page.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He is hosed. He is hosed if he stays in NK. He is hosed if he is released.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Is there a accurate account of what went wrong here?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mom was front row in the stands when that happened.

After mentioning that single fact, she never, ever went into any more details.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wasabi the J posted:

Is there a accurate account of what went wrong here?

It was a LAPES run with a Sheridan. The aircraft came in too steep and too fast. My buddy had worked a ton of LAPES tests as a DZ Medic for the Airborne Test Board and said that the 130 was moving in a lot faster than he had seen before and tapped the ground, bounced up and and the pilot lost control and that was that.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It was a LAPES run with a Sheridan. The aircraft came in too steep and too fast. My buddy had worked a ton of LAPES tests as a DZ Medic for the Airborne Test Board and said that the 130 was moving in a lot faster than he had seen before and tapped the ground, bounced up and and the pilot lost control and that was that.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19870701-0

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I believe that accident was a big part of why they decided LAPES was too dangerous and not worth the risk anymore. I remember seeing it in a recruiting commercial in the early 00s but I think the practice had been completely abandoned by that point.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe that accident was a big part of why they decided LAPES was too dangerous and not worth the risk anymore. I remember seeing it in a recruiting commercial in the early 00s but I think the practice had been completely abandoned by that point.

Kinda like how the Air Force is showing recruitment commercials with A10s in them during EVO this year.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Just for the record I still wanna pet that cat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A.o.D. posted:

Kinda like how the Air Force is showing recruitment commercials with A10s in them during EVO this year.

They've still got a few years left.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dillbag posted:

A number of years ago on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, a dude in his 50s or 60s was hiking up an old logging road when he was pounced on from behind by a sick or otherwise hungry cougar. Long story short, he managed to stab it to death with his pocket knife, grabbed what was remaining of his scalp and held it on the top of his head, and walked several kilometers back towards town until a passing logging truck picked him up and took him to the hospital.

I watched a documentary ages ago about a guy who literally got his face torn off by a kodiak. Dude took a swipe to the head, went down, and it nommed his head a bit before wandering off. He tied his face in position with a bandana and hiked his rear end to a ranger station.

If something like that happened to me I'd just fuckin die

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 7, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

A.o.D. posted:

Just for the record I still wanna pet that cat.
You can pet a cougar, but they might not be a cat.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Jimmy Smuts posted:

You can pet a cougar, but they might not be a cat.

Me-ow and/or Woof Woof!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If something like that happened to me I'd just fuckin die

I had a buddy who got severely injured in the back country and hiked out with his full pack and a broken arm. He says it wasn't him being tough or brave. He just had nothing better to do so before the shock wore off he just started walking. I don't know if that means he's stupid or tough or both.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sounds smart to me. "I'm not gonna be able to walk once the shock wears off, better make tracks."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atticus_1354 posted:

I had a buddy who got severely injured in the back country and hiked out with his full pack and a broken arm. He says it wasn't him being tough or brave. He just had nothing better to do so before the shock wore off he just started walking. I don't know if that means he's stupid or tough or both.

That’s a hell of a time for clarity :stare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Seems logical to me. 'gently caress this hurts, not going to stop hurting any less sitting here, might as well walk in the direction of painkillers.'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had to hike out on an injured knee once. It wasn’t that bad, but I will never again not carry enough painkillers to cover limping out while taking the max dose.

My buddies were impressed with my pace in breaking camp and getting a head start on the trail; I just wanted to make progress before the last of the pills wore off.

They’d also graciously volunteered to lighten my pack, so I had that going for me.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
the results of getting hurt while wilderness hiking is exactly the premise of the movie The Ritual, and that didn't end well for those guys

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty cautious about not hiking deep if it looks even remotely like the weather will be the main danger (this is annoyingly often), but hey, sometimes you just gotta solo hike for 14-20 miles in the mountains. If you get hosed up, you get hosed up I guess!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Atticus_1354 posted:

The way I've always looked at these kinds of things boils down to, gently caress else are you gonna do? Especially if you're way the gently caress out, even if you've got signal or an EPIRB, your rear end is waiting anyway. People whose first instinct is to sit down and wait to be rescued or just die loving baffle me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mllaneza posted:

Sounds smart to me. "I'm not gonna be able to walk once the shock wears off, better make tracks."

Honestly, that’s kinda what it’s for. Your body just dumps all the hormones it can into your system to get you out of the situation. Huh, I should be in horrific agony but I’m not. I better get somewhere safer before I can feel again.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The way I've always looked at these kinds of things boils down to, gently caress else are you gonna do? Especially if you're way the gently caress out, even if you've got signal or an EPIRB, your rear end is waiting anyway. People whose first instinct is to sit down and wait to be rescued or just die loving baffle me.

"I'm just going to sit down and ignore this problem until it goes away" has been my approach to everything so far, might as well die how I lived.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
It's worth everyone's time and money to throw down the $100 or so and the weekend to take a wilderness first aid class.

Learn:
How to do splints on all limbs.
How to identify and treat various bites
How to treat environmental emergencies (heat, cold, lightning, drowning)

Back to thread topic:
I was an EMT-Advanced before going to basic, so I made myself the barracks doctor, but with actual medical experience.

A guy had caught a hot brass on 240/249 day, and had decided to treat his burn with hand sanitizer. By the time he said something to me and I examined, the infection had almost reached his armpit lymph nodes. As in there was a thin red line from the burn up his arm. I MADE him go to sick call.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 8, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gorilla Radio posted:

It's worth everyone's time and money to throw down the $100 or so and the weekend to take a wilderness first aid class.

Learn:

Seconding this, and if not wilderness first aid then AT LEAST take a Stop the Bleed course and have a kit handy. CPR certification is also a great idea.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

mlmp08 posted:

I'm pretty cautious about not hiking deep if it looks even remotely like the weather will be the main danger (this is annoyingly often), but hey, sometimes you just gotta solo hike for 14-20 miles in the mountains. If you get hosed up, you get hosed up I guess!

Me and a buddy set out on Lost Coast trail in the winter probably ten years ago now and spent a couple of days in incomparable beauty and punishing rain. We knew it was going to be wet, but at some point your synthetic clothes pass threshold and we became one with the rain. Fire was impossible -- we tried hard enough the first night to know not to bother the second. We stopped and set up a rainfly lean to so we could make a hot lunch on a canister stove the middle of the third day in a redwood grove and realized that we were never going to get enough calories in us to make this comfortable. We struck, turned around, and made back the whole two and a half days' hike that evening, I'm not even really sure, about 20 odd miles, got back to the truck well after dark as the big ol fat raindrops turned into a screaming wind and biblical deluge lol. Insanely tough day of walking in boots full of wet sand but I think it was probably the right decision to not die of chattering teeth in a broken tent. If that had been somewhere less hospitable than northern California, we probably would have taken a real spanking from mother nature. Sometimes you just gotta call it, and the best time to do that is, you know, well before you're in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gorilla Radio posted:

Learn:

Back to thread topic:
I was an EMT-Advanced before going to basic, so I made myself the barracks doctor, but with actual medical experience.

A guy had caught a hot brass on 240/249 day, and had decided to treat his burn with hand sanitizer. By the time he said something to me and I examined, the infection had almost reached his armpit lymph nodes. As in there was a thin red line from the burn up his arm. I MADE him go to sick call.

And here I felt like an idiot for not realizing an ingrown hair had abscessed :stonklol: