Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Amazing models. They are ripe for customization and creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh the previous pope is dead and is covered in candles and sits on the other side of the pope's chair. I thought it looked like flames.

I thought it was gonna be a dual kit where you can either build it as a live pope or a burning undead pope for some reason, which was a hell of a lot cooler, even though this is extremely cool.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Geisladisk posted:

Oh the previous pope is dead and is covered in candles and sits on the other side of the pope's chair. I thought it looked like flames.

I thought it was gonna be a dual kit where you can either build it as a live pope or a burning undead pope for some reason, which was a hell of a lot cooler, even though this is extremely cool.
Nothing can stop from putting the dead pope in front :skeltal:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

What the gently caress, it’s all so good

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I love the dude drinking on the job on the cannon base. loving boss.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

:shepface:

also the whisperblade owns in particular

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Cadaver Pope (my next grindcore project) and lizard dog are fine. Where are non-humans?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
They died on the way back to their home planet.

All of those models are making me absolutely consider selling my deepkin, these look the absolute bomb.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 4, 2023

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Cool models, but why does the cannon have what looks like a spare barrel sitting upright on the base? Do the designers think it needs changing like a modern machine gun?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Genghis Cohen posted:

Cool models, but why does the cannon have what looks like a spare barrel sitting upright on the base? Do the designers think it needs changing like a modern machine gun?

It's a silencer

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cannon barrels crack. It's cute.

Also yeh it's a silencer.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This release is going to be absolutely huge. The confirmed new kits are:

Infantry guys
Knight guys
Handgonne guys
War Surgeon
Arch-Knight
Great Herald
Soul Shepherd
Whisperblade
Warforger
Freeguild Marshal
Freeguild Cavalier-Marshal
Great Cannon
Cadaver Pope

That is 13 new kits, at least. Including 3 whole units, 2 medium-large kits, and 10 heroes.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JBP posted:

Cannon barrels crack. It's cute.

Also yeh it's a silencer.

I mean, those medieval and early modern cannon barrels did crack, but you couldn't just slap another section in there, it's not a modular system!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Single shot disposable barrels. Sigmar cares not for your environment.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The official release is out:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/04/cities-of-sigmar-the-entire-magnificent-range-revealed/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently most of these weird little guys are one box, possibly all the same unit of aides for your general. Love the idea of your general having a retinue of weird little guys.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Geisladisk posted:

This release is going to be absolutely huge. The confirmed new kits are:

Infantry guys
Knight guys
Handgonne guys
War Surgeon
Arch-Knight
Great Herald
Soul Shepherd
Whisperblade
Warforger
Freeguild Marshal
Freeguild Cavalier-Marshal
Great Cannon
Cadaver Pope

That is 13 new kits, at least. Including 3 whole units, 2 medium-large kits, and 10 heroes.

I think you forgot the manticore and archers with dogs or am I missing it on the list

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 4, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

yeah I think five of those are the command squad but adding back the other two you left out that’s still 11 new kits

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or at least their response to the leak. :v:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

The cannon frame has a crane attached to it, and the middle portion of the cannon has a hook for the crane to attach to. It looks like the design is that the loader adds the ammunition to the barrel portion that is on the ground, then they use the crane to unload the empty barrel and load the charged barrel onto the cannon, as opposed to the cannon having some sort of breech system or being loaded in the traditional way. I suspect this is because it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have the loader and sponger go in front of the bulwark.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

This guy wasn't part of the leak, was he?

looks a lot better than the regular cavaliers

also, if the retinue is one box I may have to get it, they're my favorite of the bunch

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nope, he wasn't in that case. So I figure they were just sweetening the deal a little.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
All of these are going to be a bitch to paint but they look drat cool

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lucinice posted:

All of these are going to be a bitch to paint but they look drat cool

Yeah they all looks kinda busy. Still good, just not really my preference to paint.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The cannon frame has a crane attached to it, and the middle portion of the cannon has a hook for the crane to attach to. It looks like the design is that the loader adds the ammunition to the barrel portion that is on the ground, then they use the crane to unload the empty barrel and load the charged barrel onto the cannon, as opposed to the cannon having some sort of breech system or being loaded in the traditional way. I suspect this is because it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have the loader and sponger go in front of the bulwark.

not "as opposed to", it's straight up a kind of breech loader, just an earlier sort than you're picturing. early cannonry is home to many strange and terrifying things

I think I might know what specific illustration they had in mind actually. but, they appear to have missed out on a pretty important detail of how the two parts need to fit together lol

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Assessor of Maat posted:

not "as opposed to", it's straight up a kind of breech loader, just an earlier sort than you're picturing. early cannonry is home to many strange and terrifying things

I think I might know what specific illustration they had in mind actually. but, they appear to have missed out on a pretty important detail of how the two parts need to fit together lol

Not to be pedantic but it cannot possibly be a breech loader as it doesn't appear to have a breech. What cannon illustration do you have in mind in regards to this? Like an early bombard like the Dardanelles gun or Orban cannon?

Edit to say, it looks like the cannon continues on into the wooden structure , but maybe that is not the case. IT is a bit hard to see.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 4, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am surprised we did not get a generic Witch Hunter.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Gotta buy Cursed City for that.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Not to be pedantic but it cannot possibly be a breech loader as it doesn't appear to have a breech. What cannon illustration do you have in mind in regards to this? Like an early bombard like the Dardanelles gun or Orban cannon?

Edit to say, it looks like the cannon continues on into the wooden structure , but maybe that is not the case. IT is a bit hard to see.

this specifically

grabbed it from here; https://www.mdpi.com/2571-9408/6/2/58 but I'm sure i've seen it or a nearly identical drawing in a book previously.

anyway, you can also find similar designs of Veuglaire if you look around. GW have cobbled it together from a few styles but whoever it was does appear to have done some research... though like I said still missed something important, the second breech on the base of the model doesn't have a lip to socket into the barrel, so I wouldn't want to be standing near this thing when fired:

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 5, 2023

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
That's pretty cool, what was the actual RoF on something like that?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the skeleton piper dooting away rules

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Those models are amazing but I never in my life would imagine painting a full army of them.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

smug jeebus posted:

That's pretty cool, what was the actual RoF on something like that?

cursory look isn't giving me much more than vague comments on how being able to prepare multiple shots is good, but, I don't know where to start looking for accounts on 15th century stuff really... someone in the milhist thread over in ask/tell might know of something more specific

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I mean, those medieval and early modern cannon barrels did crack, but you couldn't just slap another section in there, it's not a modular system!

This one is. It's Warhammer.

Assessor of Maat posted:

this specifically

grabbed it from here; https://www.mdpi.com/2571-9408/6/2/58 but I'm sure i've seen it or a nearly identical drawing in a book previously.

anyway, you can also find similar designs of Veuglaire if you look around. GW have cobbled it together from a few styles but whoever it was does appear to have done some research... though like I said still missed something important, the second breech on the base of the model doesn't have a lip to socket into the barrel, so I wouldn't want to be standing near this thing when fired:

This owns

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 5, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Assessor of Maat posted:

this specifically

Ah yes, the type of cannon that where, as a book I've read put it, the breach was held together by "wedges, weights and prayers" when fired

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

it’s going to be extremely hard for me to just not buy all of CoS when they drop. gently caress!!! My pile of shame is already too large!!!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah yes, the type of cannon that where, as a book I've read put it, the breach was held together by "wedges, weights and prayers" when fired

Sounds like warhammer to me?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, pretty much.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Thank gently caress they're on normal-rear end horses. I've been waiting years for this refresh and was worried they'd put all the cavalry on lizards or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Apparently this primitive guns on freeguild fusiliers can fire 2 shots at 24 range so who ever designed them is some kind blackpowder genius who hates product design