Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

wynott dunn posted:

1 Guy 1 Jar was filmed in Ukraine and we can make a tour de force sequel as a story of hope and courage for the modern era

What's this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a country in Eastern Europe (for now)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
"the modern era" usually refers to the period from about 1500 ce to present.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

What's this?

oh boy, a live one

if its the video i'm thinking of

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

mawarannahr posted:

What's this?

a short film that beautifully portrays the moment of triumph one feels when victory is within reach, as well as the anguish and pain left in its wake when things break apart and one is left scrambling to pick up the pieces.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I once read an interview with the 1 guy 1 jar guy and he was so very charming. Just a regular guy with a loose grasp on English and an unusual "hobby".

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

It's a country in Eastern Europe (for now)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ikanreed posted:

"the modern era" usually refers to the period from about 1500 ce to present.

Why are the two CSPAM history threads bifurcated along 1815 then

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why are the two CSPAM history threads bifurcated along 1815 then

loving Victorians.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

What's this?

Looks like someone didn't spend years of their youth listening to Loveline

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Centrist Committee posted:

Lol I didn’t consider they’d try to repo bri infrastructure. These people really can’t see past the end of history

everything for them is just the next hustle to get over the hill for the next 4 years. it will continue until the bottom falls out AND they have no recourse

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Convergent evolution but its racism

:patriot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I love this screen cap. You can't see his hands but you can imagine him wringing them as he talks.

Maybe in another 20 years people will finally realise the industrial powerhouse that was WW2 USA happened a century ago. In the dust of history.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
it’s not economically feasible to spin up western manufacturing for every critical component of every critical industry - military, pharmaceutical, electrical, protection, etc.

there is also a lack of industrial knowledge to force the establishment of those industries by offsetting the profit aspect with no guarantee that it would ever succeed or be profitable as the black and decker example shows

doing either is also a prospect that would take an excessively long time far beyond next quarter due to the lack of central planning, knowledge and industrial culture, and is not a problem that can be solved by hand waving trillions of dollars at the private industry because it will just be siphoned off by the shareholders as soon as contractually feasible

in summary lol lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The great western empires only know how to burn down their countries for insurance money

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/andybxxx/status/1687401800222310400?s=46&t=mzWS2vgSInnU9jlt8C3n_Q

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
free as in beer

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Free Hong Kong, AKA the city with the highest apartment unit cost and cost of living.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

wynott dunn posted:

it’s not economically feasible to spin up western manufacturing for every critical component of every critical industry - military, pharmaceutical, electrical, protection, etc.

there is also a lack of industrial knowledge to force the establishment of those industries by offsetting the profit aspect with no guarantee that it would ever succeed or be profitable as the black and decker example shows

doing either is also a prospect that would take an excessively long time far beyond next quarter due to the lack of central planning, knowledge and industrial culture, and is not a problem that can be solved by hand waving trillions of dollars at the private industry because it will just be siphoned off by the shareholders as soon as contractually feasible

in summary lol lmao

it would make sense to spin up manufacturing for at least ONE critical component though, so you always have a niche in the world market you can dominate. as a biologist i suggest medical/biotech

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

but at what no cost?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Free? Hong Kong!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

celadon posted:

it would make sense to spin up manufacturing for at least ONE critical component though, so you always have a niche in the world market you can dominate. as a biologist i suggest medical/biotech

the niche they dominate is finance and when you really think about it you can't manufacture anything without money so technically they dominate all niches

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Free? Hong Kong!

but at what cost?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jel Shaker posted:

but at what cost?

at no cost. it says it right there

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Free? Hong Kong!

Comrade Koba posted:

but at what no cost?

Jel Shaker posted:

but at what cost?

fart simpson posted:

👏

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fart simpson posted:

there's no such thing as a free Hong Kong

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

the niche they dominate is finance and when you really think about it you can't manufacture anything without money so technically they dominate all niches

The bottlenecks US dominantes in: MIC, finance, biotech, semiconductor, Hollywood (propaganda)
EU: pharma
UK: finance
Japan dominates: ummm I can't think of anything now

Arguably these are the most important sectors you should take controlling interest in if you don't want to pay for any of the manufacturing or resource extraction. Providing, the controlling stakes don't slip too fast

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

“more hong kong please” - china

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

typical capitalist...ignoring externalities....

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

The bottlenecks US dominantes in: MIC, finance, biotech, semiconductor, Hollywood (propaganda)
EU: pharma
UK: finance
Japan dominates: ummm I can't think of anything now

Arguably these are the most important sectors you should take controlling interest in if you don't want to pay for any of the manufacturing or resource extraction. Providing, the controlling stakes don't slip too fast

don't forget agriculture

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

indigi posted:

it makes sense to me, money is basically impervious to all political and international upheavals and you can eat it if you get hungry too

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Eminent DNS posted:

typical capitalist...ignoring externalities....

well yeah, they are external after all

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

don't forget agriculture

Yeah patent-able portion of agriculture.

The west would like to switch the global subsistence farming to seed subscription-based if they can.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its funny cause Free Hong Kong probably wouldn't sound perfect in chinese anyway you should say Liberate Hong Kong (liberate meaning to make free) but it's also sounds much more commie in chinese so I guess 自由香港 is ok cause everyone knows its a cypher for the english phrase anyway?

自由香港 out of context sounding like Hong Kong Freedom i.e. a statement of fact not an imperative or a command?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Free Hong Kong as in Free Winona, it's the freest form of free.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

celadon posted:

but then you need every industrial player to double source that component from you and revalidate/recertify every product using it. also since the cost of your double source would be more expensive you’d gently caress up the product margins next fiscal cycle which makes number cry

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

What's this?

don't look it up unless you want to watch a naked man sit on a mason jar, have it slide a couple inches in, then shatter. followed by him making GBS threads out shards of glass and a large amount of blood

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wynott dunn posted:

1 Guy 1 Jar was filmed in Ukraine and we can make a tour de force sequel as a story of hope and courage for the modern era

Spergin Morlock posted:

don't look it up unless you want to watch a naked man sit on a mason jar, have it slide a couple inches in, then shatter. followed by him making GBS threads out shards of glass and a large amount of blood

gently caress you

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
someone is mad that public schools in Oklahoma are finally getting the funding they need to teach kids

https://twitter.com/ryanwalterssupt/status/1686865788416688128?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

why is he mad that china is helping children in third world states how to read?