Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

papasyhotcakes posted:

So I just started watching this the last month and what a great series. Just in time for season 2 to pick up steam even if I thought the throwaway comment of "oh the girl you almost died protecting? we had a spare" cheapened out a little bit what had just happened. I would have liked to see the consequences of the sacrifice not happening

If you haven't yet now is actually the perfect time to watch the movie, JJK0, because this is basically where it takes place in continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

The animation was a little rough this episode, but I guess they're saving all the budget for Shibuya now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

RillAkBea posted:

The animation was a little rough this episode, but I guess they're saving all the budget for Shibuya now.

The first 4 episodes were like near movie quality so anything less would be a step down but the animation didnt really bother me that much and there was plenty of nice flourishes and bespoke animation in the episode! Thought it was pretty good.

Edit: Also I gotta say I am really loving the directorial decisions made in JJK and Chainsaw Man. Mappa is doing great stuff with framing, shot choice, how they flesh out these scenes. Cinematic.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 4, 2023

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Maybe I'm misremembering but it seems like they're doing a lot more of the roughly-drawn cartoony reaction animations this season than they did last season, but that's obviously a conscious stylistic choice.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's a new director isn't it? i figured that was the reason

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ninjewtsu posted:

it's a new director isn't it? i figured that was the reason

A lot of those are just straight from the manga

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Jerkface posted:

A lot of those are just straight from the manga

Sure, but that's at the director's prerogative. I generally prefer that those sort of shots are cut out, so I'm finding it a pleasant surprise how well they're working here.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Talking to a hot lady and accidentally becoming a mass murderer, whom amongst us

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

Sure, but that's at the director's prerogative. I generally prefer that those sort of shots are cut out, so I'm finding it a pleasant surprise how well they're working here.

This is Gojo's generation's maturation arc (in addition to being set up for the rest of the series). While adult Gojo still is the type of dude to do silly reaction faces, most of the characters in this arc have been introduced as pretty serious adults earlier in the series. They're still pretty immature at this point and imo the reaction shots have helped reinforce that.

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 4, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was originally baffled by the start of the Hidden Inventory arc when it happened in the manga because it felt like it came out of nowhere but it's probably one of the best villain origin stories in a Jump magazine. It pretty much makes sense, provides context for a lot of other characters' behaviors/personalities, and is more than just a "one bad day" story. Geto genuinely struggles until he finally falls.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah it's a different director and largely different staff this season, that's way the vibe is very different.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I was originally baffled by the start of the Hidden Inventory arc when it happened in the manga because it felt like it came out of nowhere but it's probably one of the best villain origin stories in a Jump magazine. It pretty much makes sense, provides context for a lot of other characters' behaviors/personalities, and is more than just a "one bad day" story. Geto genuinely struggles until he finally falls.

What are you talking about, they didn't really give any background to Toji

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao at telling a hot lady in a moment of moral distress that you think maybe hitler had the right idea and the hot lady going "yeah, you know I think so too! Anyways whatever choice you make here is going to define the rest of your life"

Really gotta feel for the guy being in an awful place and then being told pretty much the worst thing possible

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
One critical thing that people need to remember for this series is that to be a jujutsu sorcerer at all you basically need to be mentally ill. It's literally a requirement.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

the unabonger posted:

This is Gojo's generation's maturation arc (in addition to being set up for the rest of the series). While adult Gojo still is the type of dude to do silly reaction faces, most of the characters in this arc have been introduced as pretty serious adults earlier in the series. They're still pretty immature at this point and imo the reaction shots have helped reinforce that.

Agreed, it's really helped sell the vibe and I'm not sure whether I to want it to continue with the regular bunch of idiots.

I find in most anime those gags can be detrimental to the tone of a scene (something that's not so much a problem in manga). But the switch to a looser animation style has made a big difference even when Gojo isn't on screen.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think Geto is mentally ill. Arguably that's the problem, he approached being a sorcerer with a sort of naive utilitarian morality and follows those premises to their predictably vile conclusion. The people who are doing this for thrills or because it flatters their ego or even "eh, it sucks less than a regular job" and so on are the ones that make it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, it's a mix of a bunch of things with Geto. Like, if the way his powers worked didn't leave him feeling disgusted and soiled to his core he'd probably have been a lot less likely to go off the deep end like that, even after his experience with the cult.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

One critical thing that people need to remember for this series is that to be a jujutsu sorcerer at all you basically need to be mentally ill. It's literally a requirement.

Shoko seems pretty well adjusted

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

Shoko seems pretty well adjusted
She has a conversation with her friend that snapped and murdered a bunch of people and really doesn't seem to give a poo poo that he did all that after he confirms he did and she thinks it's funny that he's performatively sulking about not being understood.

There's no really well adjusted sorcerer. The "good" ones tend to have really strange views on death/suffering/killing and usually seem like they draw their negative emotions (thus their cursed power) from some form of self-loathing. Part of the reason Gojo is so freaked out by Geto losing it is because he basically used Geto as his moral compass- even Gege says that; namely that he was actually unironically asking Geto if he should kill the cultists because he genuinely couldn't conceive of what was moral to do. Gojo at that point was basically a nearly unkillable god; almost nothing is impossible for him, so he has nothing really stopping him from doing anything he wants outside of his own moral judgment. It's why his threat in the previous season to kill all the higher ups in the jujutsu world scared Ijichi so much; Gojo could do it effortlessly if he just decided to one day.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

She has a conversation with her friend that snapped and murdered a bunch of people and really doesn't seem to give a poo poo that he did all that after he confirms he did and she thinks it's funny that he's performatively sulking about not being understood.

There's no really well adjusted sorcerer. The "good" ones tend to have really strange views on death/suffering/killing and usually seem like they draw their negative emotions (thus their cursed power) from some form of self-loathing. Part of the reason Gojo is so freaked out by Geto losing it is because he basically used Geto as his moral compass- even Gege says that; namely that he was actually unironically asking Geto if he should kill the cultists because he genuinely couldn't conceive of what was moral to do. Gojo at that point was basically a nearly unkillable god; almost nothing is impossible for him, so he has nothing really stopping him from doing anything he wants outside of his own moral judgment. It's why his threat in the previous season to kill all the higher ups in the jujutsu world scared Ijichi so much; Gojo could do it effortlessly if he just decided to one day.

Otoh she did call Gojo and decided against fighting the mass murderer

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Electric Phantasm posted:

Otoh she did call Gojo and decided against fighting the mass murderer

Well yeah, she still has her orders and a sense of self preservation

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
surely gojo could easily kill 7 billion people. certainly that wouldn't create more curses. i mean geto killed 120 people, what's 6,999,999,880 more

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tabletops posted:

surely gojo could easily kill 7 billion people. certainly that wouldn't create more curses. i mean geto killed 120 people, what's 6,999,999,880 more

I mean i'm pretty sure he could just blow up the earth if he really put his heart into it

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tabletops posted:

surely gojo could easily kill 7 billion people.

It'd take him a number of years but yeah, he could. He's physically unstoppable, near inexhaustible, can teleport vast distances, and has the firepower to level a city in short order.

Gojo is loving jujutsu superman.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Conspiratiorist posted:

It'd take him a number of years but yeah, he could. He's physically unstoppable, near inexhaustible, can teleport vast distances, and has the firepower to level a city in short order.

Gojo is loving jujutsu superman.

And it's in that classic shounen action anime roundabout sort of way.

Sure, keeping my "you can't touch me" powers subconsciously active 24/7 fries my brain, but I just happen to have a secondary regen power that autoheals that damage using a fraction of the energy I generate naturally.

No sweat. :rolleyes:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m glad we’re putting this arc in the rear view mirror. Everyone in this arc is kind of an unlikable poo poo at this stage in their life.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Conversely this was my favorite part of JJK so far and a little bit sad that we're returning to the status quo. But people have been saying the next (?) arc is very good so I'm not too disappointed.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

But people have been saying the next (?) arc is very good so I'm not too disappointed.

Without saying anything specific about it, yes, the next arc is the big one.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m glad we’re putting this arc in the rear view mirror. Everyone in this arc is kind of an unlikable poo poo at this stage in their life.

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only one who disliked this arc. I felt like I was taking crazy pills.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this was far and away, easily the best arc so far imo

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

this was far and away, easily the best arc so far imo

Yeah I only just recently started watching this. I was mildly positive about the show after season 1, but this arc was outstanding. Ep. 4 really drove home how awful Riko's death was and even though I knew Gojo would somehow survive, his resurrection felt appropriately thrilling. Ep. 5 was arguably more impressive by following through on the emotional core of the final shot in 4 and showing how easily someone like Geto can self-radicalize when reality destabilizes their beliefs and they have no external support system. I saw some complaints about the animation which was confusing, the shot of Geto in the shower and the transition from that one dude's dead body were haunting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah S1 I felt like had "perfectly ok" writing and superb animation, which it was very consistent about both as a strength and weakness (in the case of the writing)

This arc felt like it had great writing and superb animation so big step up imo

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
By far the greatest arc, yeah. Season 1 was cool too but was all over the place

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I mean i'm pretty sure he could just blow up the earth if he really put his heart into it

There's gotta be some gravity altering bullshit he could do at one of Earth's magnetic poles to throw it all off axis and really mess up the planet. That's the go-to way Magneto from Marvel could mess up Earth, but I feel like Gojo just camping at a Pole for a few days and tossing his unique brand of Jujutsu bullshit into it could get the Earth spinning a lot faster or slower than it should and wreck the planet with mega-lovely weather phenomenons and other weird stuff.

I don't think he's "blow up the Earth" strong but he certainly seems "Use my powers in the right way and I can change the state of life of Earth as a whole" strong. Like I don't think he can fire a purple straight down and have it go through the whole drat planet or anything.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

pretty sure he could make the surface uninhabitable with relative ease. there's messing with the poles, pretty sure he could figure out a way to set off several super volcanos, or just grab nukes from some world leaders

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Just destroy critical infrastructure worldwide and that's gonna halve the population within a few months.

I'd say take out world leaders while at it but, frankly, having the dysfunctional G20 governments desperately fumbling through the crisis would probably just get more people killed than the alternative.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
gojos power reminds me of accelerator, except not as cool

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

NowonSA posted:

There's gotta be some gravity altering bullshit he could do at one of Earth's magnetic poles to throw it all off axis and really mess up the planet. That's the go-to way Magneto from Marvel could mess up Earth, but I feel like Gojo just camping at a Pole for a few days and tossing his unique brand of Jujutsu bullshit into it could get the Earth spinning a lot faster or slower than it should and wreck the planet with mega-lovely weather phenomenons and other weird stuff.

I don't think he's "blow up the Earth" strong but he certainly seems "Use my powers in the right way and I can change the state of life of Earth as a whole" strong. Like I don't think he can fire a purple straight down and have it go through the whole drat planet or anything.

gojo spending a month shooting purples in a really deep hole to try and dig to the other side of the earth, like a boss

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Fabricated posted:

what does being well adjusted even mean in the context of having to risk your life wrestling with evil apparitions, evil cultists, and wizards who are evil for fun and profit

And that's before you get to the pretty egregious issues with jujutsu sorcerer culture at large. They might be worse than Type Moon Magi inasmuch as that the latter have a dedication to secrecy that keeps them from going too apeshit. Not that said secretive nature actually tends to be reflected often in the stories...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Fabricated posted:

Remember when Nobara saw a sapient being grieving for the brother she slaughtered and went "DON'T WORRY YOU'RE GONNA BE REUNITED SOON" with the most axe maniac expression she could muster?