Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this charger/brand any good?

UGREEN Nexode 100W USB C Charger Plug 4-Port GaN Type C Fast Wall Power Adapter also Supports 20W Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 14 Pro Max, Galaxy S23/S22, Pixel 7, Matebook, etc https://amzn.eu/d/6bFkS0U

I'd put UGREEN stuff up there with anker fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I just upgraded from an OG Pixel XL to a S23 Ultra. Is it worth using the Samsung ecosystem (keyboard, bixby, etc)? What are the biggest changes that I'm going to see?

Also case recommendations? I picked up the Spigen Rugged Armour but not too happy with it.

Lastly, is there a way for me to sync my photos and videos back to my Pixel XL, so that it can upload them to Google for the free photos storage?

I alternate between Google and Samsung keyboards, depending on which one is behaving better at the time. You are not missing much by using one over the other.

While there's nothing wrong with Bixby, most of the features it had over Google Assistant have since been added to Google. I personally use Google Assistant and I don't think you'd gain much by switching since you're coming from a Pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Latest leaks of the OnePlus Open have it adopting the Oppo Find N or Pixel Fold aspect ratio and the dimensions have it being just a tiny bit larger than the Pixel Fold.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Are there known issues trying to connect older devices, in this case a Lenovo TB-X704F tablet on Android 7.1, to a WiFi hotspot created on a Pixel 6 or 6a running Android 13?

The tablet will connect OK to older phones. It's fine connecting to a Nokia 7.2 on Android 11 for example, and other devices can connect fine to the Pixels.

Using the 'WPA2' and 'WPA/WPA3' options it gives a 'Password may be incorrect error'. 'WPA3' shows as an unsecured network and doesn't prompt for a password.

With no security enabled it just cycles between 'connecting', 'obtaining ip address' and 'saved' repeatedly.

I tried a static IP with no security and it cycled between 'connecting', very briefly showed 'obtaining ip address' added ''connected, no internet' and then back to 'saved' and repeated.

The 'Extended compatability' toggle appears to make no difference. Same issue in safe mode on the tablet. I removed all the old saved networks. If there's a network reset option on this version of Android I couldn't find it.

I know the tablet is ancient and should be put out to pasture, but it's a tough sell to the owner, who we just convinced to upgrade their phone to said Pixel 6a.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is the tablet ancient enough to only speak 2.4G?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

VictualSquid posted:

I've seen a few newer ones that cheap out and run 2.4 only.

Usually the cheapo no-name poo poo, probably picking up bargain basement spares.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

No, it can connect to a 5GHz network created by the Nokia 7.2 on Android 11.

e: An even older tablet can connect to the Pixel hotspot OK, so I think it's something specific to the Lenovo. I've tethered it with Bluetooth as a cludge, but it's not ideal obviously.

Pierre Chaton fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 5, 2023

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is this charger/brand any good?

UGREEN Nexode 100W USB C Charger Plug 4-Port GaN Type C Fast Wall Power Adapter also Supports 20W Compatible with MacBook Pro/Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 14 Pro Max, Galaxy S23/S22, Pixel 7, Matebook, etc https://amzn.eu/d/6bFkS0U

I've got a bunch of UGreen Chargers/Batteries/Cables/Dongles and they've all been as good as Anker stuff

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
anker sucks poo poo though

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tokit posted:

:dafuq:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tokit posted:

I wouldn't put an Anker camera in my house but all their power stuff is solid

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tokit posted:

Jeepers! Show your working!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think you've got anker management issues

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The Android Thread -

smoobles posted:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

smoobles posted:

:smoobles:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone that has used the P5 and the base S23 comment on differences in haptics?

I work in a warehouse so rely on the haptics a bit, but from what I'm ready the S23 lines have some weak motors.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Puddin posted:

Anyone that has used the P5 and the base S23 comment on differences in haptics?

I work in a warehouse so rely on the haptics a bit, but from what I'm ready the S23 lines have some weak motors.

Assuming you're talking about haptics in relation to getting notifications by vibrate, I'm going to offer the tangential input that smartwatches have basically solved this for me. I would frequently miss text alerts with my phone in my pocket when I was walking around, but since my first smartwatch that has just not been a thing. I rely on my smartwatch as an extension of my phone, and the vibration alert on my wrist is way more reliable than just having the phone vibrate. Being able to see the text on my watch without having to drag my phone out is handy, too.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah, on a forklift all day and not gonna hear a ringtone, but can stop and hop off if I get calls from the notification buzz.

I have a Fitbit as well so that works too, but it's vibration can be a bit hit and miss too.

Not the end of the world, but would just be good to know.

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I use a podcast downloader called gpodcastdownloader and it automatically saves podcast files to the "podcasts" folder on my android phone, but files keep randomly disappearing and I can't figure out how to stop it. Is there some stupid setting I can't find somewhere or something? I only use VLC for media on my phone, I can't imagine it's the culprit.

Miles Blundell fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 6, 2023

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the Google translate button that shows up on the menu that appears when you select text (in other languages)?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I just upgraded from an OG Pixel XL to a S23 Ultra. Is it worth using the Samsung ecosystem (keyboard, bixby, etc)? What are the biggest changes that I'm going to see?

Also case recommendations? I picked up the Spigen Rugged Armour but not too happy with it.

Lastly, is there a way for me to sync my photos and videos back to my Pixel XL, so that it can upload them to Google for the free photos storage?

I switched to Samsung's keyboard on my S8 Ultra because Parsec and SwiftKey don't work well together. Seems fine, but I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. I also don't use much of the other stuff, but GoodLock seems like a decent way to do some customization.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

samsung's autocorrect suggestions are awful, and nobody should ever use bixby

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tokit posted:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jeepers! Show your working!
https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/30/23486753/anker-eufy-security-camera-cloud-private-encryption-authentication-storage

There's a long saga to this, but the reason people are dropping them wholly is because they very openly and very brazenly lied, even when people's security was on the line.
Their USP as being the only power adapter people to actually honour a refund has long since passed anyway, and you should just buy UGREEN, monoprice, etc, instead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Welp, this is a new one. Pressing the power button and this is the lock screen I'm seeing.

Fingerprint sensor worked fine and thankfully a reboot fixed it (can't use your fingerprint immediately after a reboot).

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Goddamn it, that google sale has all phones bar the 7a included.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Khablam posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/30/23486753/anker-eufy-security-camera-cloud-private-encryption-authentication-storage

There's a long saga to this, but the reason people are dropping them wholly is because they very openly and very brazenly lied, even when people's security was on the line.
Their USP as being the only power adapter people to actually honour a refund has long since passed anyway, and you should just buy UGREEN, monoprice, etc, instead.

Holy poo poo that's... frightening. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Edit: No Android 14 today, boohoo.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 7, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, the hinge on the z Flip 5 feels completely different from the z flip 4.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

How about mouthfeel?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to utilize Miracast on my Pixel? My son got a projector for his birthday that can do wired and wireless mirroring from Samsung and OnePlus phones. Other brands too I believe.

I know Google has always locked out USB-C to HDMI on Pixels, which is stupid, but is there a workaround for wireless screen mirroring for all the devices and use cases without a Chromecast?

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 8, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

They redesigned it this year right? Is it a good kind of different?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It somehow feels a bit looser while feeling more premium.

The Flip 4 (and 3) was always a bit stiff to open. The 5 has resistance at the very beginning while being a lot easier and smoother to move past that while losing nothing in the ability to stay at different poses. It's a good change.

Also, the color situation is flipped this year. Last year I was disappointed to learn after arrival that the glass of the Samsung.com exclusive colors was glossy when the normal ones were matte. This year, the normal ones are glossy while the nice blue I got from Samsung.com is not only matte, it has nice matte black side rails. Very happy with the look of it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It somehow feels a bit looser while feeling more premium.

The Flip 4 (and 3) was always a bit stiff to open. The 5 has resistance at the very beginning while being a lot easier and smoother to move past that while losing nothing in the ability to stay at different poses. It's a good change.

Also, the color situation is flipped this year. Last year I was disappointed to learn after arrival that the glass of the Samsung.com exclusive colors was glossy when the normal ones were matte. This year, the normal ones are glossy while the nice blue I got from Samsung.com is not only matte, it has nice matte black side rails. Very happy with the look of it.

drat, those Grey and Blue colours with the black sides look nice.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I kind of want a flip 5 but I can't get over the weird verticality of the outside screen. Think I'm just going to keep waiting for a better foldable.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

Is there any way to utilize Miracast on my Pixel? My son got a projector for his birthday that can do wired and wireless mirroring from Samsung and OnePlus phones. Other brands too I believe.

I know Google has always locked out USB-C to HDMI on Pixels, which is stupid, but is there a workaround for wireless screen mirroring for all the devices and use cases without a Chromecast?

Don't buy Google phones if you need video out/miracast.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Does Google Photos support HEIF images and HEVC videos properly? I'm getting weird issues backing up my camera and I'm not sure if it's the file formats.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Edit: No Android 14 today, boohoo.

This is the first time in years I've not used the previews from the rc's onwards, quite happy with the state of 13, it doesn't feel like there are any must have new things to play with

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

This is the first time in years I've not used the previews from the rc's onwards, quite happy with the state of 13, it doesn't feel like there are any must have new things to play with

Samesies, normally I hop on at the second or third beta but the whole release seems so conservative, unless I'm missing something. Not that I'm clamouring for tons of new features, but a UI refresh would be nice. I'm not a fan of pretty much plain grey menus for instance. I really liked the stock Pixel 7.1 Android look.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
If the Pixel 7 face unblur feature would be moved to Google Photos a la Magic Eraser, would that happen with Android 14 or at the release of the Pixel 8? Or just some random other time? What was the timing like on Magic Eraser?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

When I search for a Zenphone 10 to purchase, I see a lot of "No CDMA - not compatible with Verizon/Sprint"

I use Google Fi which is partly on Sprint.

Is this a limitation across all Zenphone 10s or do I need to keep looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sprint doesn't exist anymore. Fi is 100% T-Mobile now.

That said, I don't think the North American variant of the Zenfone 10 is available to purchase yet.