Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Barudak posted:

Kemco bundle is 200 dollars for 50 games.

Inaction 52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Asphadian Genesis does not have working doors, so in a cutscene where a character needs to knock on a door, he stands in front of a gap between where a door would be and the game goes "knock knock"

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I guess I have to have an Xbox to purchase the 50 games I will almost certainly never play? Bummer

I really like the Sword of Hope games on Gameboy and think Rogue Ops was underappreciated, but never tried any of Kemco's mobile phone RPGs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

A Bystander posted:

Tried to play 14 years ago after someone whose opinions I value a lot said it was good, tried it out, thought "whoa neat," had to stop cuz it costs money I didn't want to spend at the time, never went back since. I imagine it's pretty cool what with all the stuff that's there, but I haven't felt compelled to return at all.
it's a big investment and I don't begrudge anyone who looks at it and says "I'm good" and moves on

[e] time investment

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 3, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the kemco daikatana gbc game was better than, daikatana

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

goblin week posted:

Inaction 52

lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I've been hungry enough for RPGs in the past to go for the hoard of C-tier games and search for the B-tier ones that may be mixed within, and I may be that hungry again, but not in 2023.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im pretty sure the translation for A. Genesis is done by hand, because I dont think machines translations forget to have verbs in their sentences or have "pissed in your grits" as a standard idiom. Please note this is not a complaint, I really only care about translations when I cant tell what the hell is going on Xuan Yuan Gate of Firmament this is about you.

Game is giving me flashbacks to Elemental Gimmick Gear which is also not a good game, but look Ive lived my life mainlining the mediocre.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 3, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Barudak posted:

Kemco bundle is 200 dollars for 50 games.

I looked this up because I couldn't remember any RPGs made by Kemco. Looked at the list, and I recognized none of the games on the list.

Looked up Kemco, because I was trying to remember what games they made and I went, "Oh, they made Kid Clown, and all the Crazy Castle games, and published a bunch of bad licensed games."

I guess all the RPGs in that pack were originally mobile games.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mostly know Kemco from the SNES port of Lagoon

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I liked their sword of hope games as a kid

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
love it when a skill description just lies to me, that's my new favourite thing. thank you wooden ocean, very cool

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

i been playing this mechabellum game it has cool robots, but unfortunately its not a rpg so now i am going to be yelled at

Any game with text chat is a role playing game if you're drama kid enough.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
way back in the day I basically used cs 1.6 as a chat program because I sucked and got killed early every round

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

way back in the day I basically used cs 1.6 as a chat program because I sucked and got killed early every round

this reminds me of my favorite FFXIV fact that I'm sure has been mentioned ITT at some point, which is that there's a decently-sized number of users that use FFXIV exclusively for the Gold Saucer since it's apparently the only decent online implementation of riichi mahjong

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there are a few other popular mahjong clients like tenhou but yeah ff14 is pretty popular for it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

this reminds me of my favorite FFXIV fact that I'm sure has been mentioned ITT at some point, which is that there's a decently-sized number of users that use FFXIV exclusively for the Gold Saucer since it's apparently the only decent online implementation of riichi mahjong
there's other online implementations of riichi mahjong that are good but ff14 is very no frills which some people prefer and has a slightly different ruleset than the other major online implementations wrt a few edge cases

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff14 gets to officially be counted as one of the big ones to play because like any good mahjong game, it had a crossover with saki, the mahjong manga set in an alternate sci-fi universe where gay marriage is legal worldwide and same sex pregnancy is real

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best part of saki is one of the girls loving tacos for 15 years of the mangas runtime with it just being a random throwaway character quirk and then she randomly got a flashback that revealed that all this time she loved tacos because her aunt's wife was mexican and made them for her when she was a kid

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
back when I played irl riichi the club was split by thirds between people who got into it from saki, people who got into it from Yakuza or Yakuza manga, and Japanese-American Microsoft employees

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my other favorite riichi mahjong thing is that people ask me for good single player practice games on their phone, and the most recommendable one is the one where all the characters are bara kemonos

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my other favorite riichi mahjong thing is that people ask me for good single player practice games on their phone, and the most recommendable one is the one where all the characters are bara kemonos

Well now that we're here I've gotta ask if I can get this on my phone. I could use a new transit game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

claw game handjob posted:

Well now that we're here I've gotta ask if I can get this on my phone. I could use a new transit game.

https://cyberdog.ca/kemono-mahjong/#:~:text=No%20mere%20tile%2Dmatching%20solitaire,of%20the%20classic%20multiplayer%20game!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
riichi mahjong rules

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

gently caress yeah, thank you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would have greatly preferred poker.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
i miss goon blacknyack nights especially because that little bastard would often do things like hit on 20

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Kemono Mahjong is one of the better ways to teach yourself to count fu, since most of the big online clients just automate that step.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I play mahjong but Ive been assuming every one I play with is a gambler or family with a gambler.

Gonna have to start asking what animals they like.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets all play the mahjong game made by kenji eno, creator of D and D2, about fighting perverts in strip mahjong to protect women

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 4, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can easily play it, on your Xbox series s/x home console.

That's not the gotcha you think it is; It's still "just" the same X360 version being emulated. Good preservation would be a multiplatform-capable remaster.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
FF Crystal Project going well. Just beat the Owl Bear with Warrior/Agent, Paladin/Archer, Arcanist/Chemist, Blue Mage/Red Mage. I wish I used the mod that gives you every mount at the start. Now that I have everything it'd be nice to have the golden quintar so I didn't have to switch.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shyfted One posted:

FF Crystal Project going well. Just beat the Owl Bear with Warrior/Agent, Paladin/Archer, Arcanist/Chemist, Blue Mage/Red Mage. I wish I used the mod that gives you every mount at the start. Now that I have everything it'd be nice to have the golden quintar so I didn't have to switch.
if you can add mods mid-playthrough, there's a mod on the Workshop that does nothing but add a golden quintar whistle to the quintar sanctuary merchant (and as such shouldn't break your save?)

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Thanks. I'll have to look for that.

This has been a fun mod. Archer certainly isn't as strong as the OG game, but it has fun synergy with Dark Knight with the stance that follows up every action with an attack. Stance, Charge 1, Tracking, Quick Attack, whatever the strongest single target DK skill is. That's what I used for the Sky Arena. You even get a free attack just for starting the stance!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Needed to distract myself from bad news lately so I bought and played Live A Live, and it was good, but not great; some of what I didnt like felt mostly from it being hold overs from it being a SNES game remake, and there were some characters it felt like you barely had any time with to get a feel for them. Lots of the stuff you could do in the final chapter looked tedious when I checked out a guide. I don't usually replay RPGs so I like to see everything in one go, but sorry game I am not going to spend the time fleeing from 100 battles to see some special secret boss.

One big draw of RPGs for me is the story, I love a climax where everything comes together and you're off to fight the big bad guy and you're pumped up to fight and save the day and Live A Live gave a good feel for that. Great music. I think if the original SNES game made it way here it would've blown my mind back in the day.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Now that I've played through all 3 Etrian Odyssey games in the HD collection, I would say the remasters are a great way to experience the DS originals. Actually having the original assets on full display in this version before they were squashed down to a resolution for ants, instead of just upscaling the sprites and assets like some more questionable remasters love to do was a very nice visual treat. The 3D models used in dungeons were also redone and smoothed up without being limited to the DS's technical shackles.

The small bit of rebalances are also very welcome, as the changes actually added more to the game experiences without disrupting the top end metas too much. The mapping controls will take some getting used to with a controller, but I think they pretty much did their best with a single screen format. Of course if you have the PC version, I find mouse mapping far far superior, but if you don't have that luxury, the keyboard/controller mapping is good enough. I do have some minor quibbles here and there, but for the most part, I'm glad how they handled these games.

The criticisms I do have are mostly with the UI, as I've had it glitch out on me a few times in a nasty way, such as some menus sticking around on the screen when they're not supposed to, or some UI elements disappearing entirely. The recent patches seem to have stamped a lot of that out thankfully, but they do still exist. There's also some compression that can be visible on the sprites as these games were built with 1080p in mind.

Another issue I had is how the localization was very inconsistent on what errors or concessions in the original scripts and skill names it did or didn't retranslate. If it was just the original stuff that'd be one thing, but some changes such seemed very arbitrary on what needed changing and what they decided to leave alone. So Relaxing gets to become Peace Ballad, but Allslash is left alone?

That being said the price point is rather ridiculous and I don't blame anyone for balking at that! I would say wait for a sale if you want these, but not that badly to fork up the $80 for all 3 or $40 separately if you opt to buy a select few (or whatever hell regional price inflation you have to deal with in other countries). I had no plans to buy the collection myself until a big sale, but through some great luck, I got a Steam copy through a giveaway, so I was able to play these now instead of several months later.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
atlus steam pricing specifically is to capture a ton of money through fomo buys at really high prices. they were putting persona 4 on steam years late at full price lol. id expect the price to permanently creep down over time.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Several big publishers like to price their stuff knowing it'll be at least 50% off during every sale after the first 6 months.

SMT: Nocturne is still listed for 50 bucks (sans DLC) and it might have been 66% off last month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Atlus in particular never drops their prices but uses the high prices as an excuse to do huge discounts. It's probably a workable marketing strategy for them because "75% off" tends to attract attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Square-Enix does it too, although I'll admit I'm strictly basing this on the Steam version of FFXII: Zodiac Age which always has been 50 bucks or 50% off, since it got added in 2018.

I think it was a on Game Pass for a year, but with a service like that I'd rather play 10 different 4 hour games than one 40 hour game for a month.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 4, 2023