Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the helck director did nadesico and stellvia and bodacious space pirates which are good shows. so clearly the problem here is that helck isn't about girls in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tales of Woe posted:

the helck director did nadesico and stellvia and bodacious space pirates which are good shows. so clearly the problem here is that helck isn't about girls in space

Seems logical to me.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
theres a girl from space at least in the helck sequel so maybe if they adapt that itll be better

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tales of Woe posted:

so clearly the problem here is that helck isn't about girls in space

We'll actually get there if the anime goes long enough and hyperspace counts

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Was the Helck manga this slow? It feels like they're doing like a chapter an episode.

I binge read it so I don't remember the pacing being this bad.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's just what happens when you do a 1:1 adaptation of a manga that has a lot of "shonen overexplaining". see also demon slayer and such. that stuff kills the momentum a lot more when it takes time rather than panels.

having watched the first couple episodes now, honestly the animation is totally fine, it's that lack of forward momentum that makes it feel underwhelming

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I really like the character designs of Undead Murder Girl. Sharp, unique, attractive, cohesive.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Strange Quark posted:

I watched all of the Slam Dunk anime in a month to prepare for the movie. The show was fine. The movie made me cry. Hard to imagine any sports anime movie can top this.
This is from a few pages back but would you say you have to watch the series to enjoy the movie? I just found out it's showing near me soon but then I looked up the series and there's no way I can watch 101 episodes before then.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

InspectorCarbonara posted:

This is from a few pages back but would you say you have to watch the series to enjoy the movie? I just found out it's showing near me soon but then I looked up the series and there's no way I can watch 101 episodes before then.

I saw it without having seen a single episode of the show and had a great time. It does plenty to communicate the emotional stakes so even though I didn't know the full history behind the cast that was enough for me to get invested in the outcome of the match.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I have a hunch that the movie probably does hit harder if you've read the manga or watched the anime series beforehand, since it will give you additional background for the characters, but yeah just like Srice said, I went into the movie cold and can verify that it's still a good movie as a standalone film even with no knowledge of the series.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I think I’ll give it a try then, thanks.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
episode 5 of Undead Murder Girl was neat. Loving the variety of characters.
I didn't know that Undead Murder Girl was gonna be a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-type affair during the setup in episode 1, so this is all really cool.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Happy Marriage has the stereotypical super nasty villainess character that just wants to ruin the heroine that's usually in all the otome isekai stories, first time seeing it in a regular story.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Seems like mom did a number on her and her own self worth its wrapped up in how much better she seems to be in comparison to her sister.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Spy Classroom got a second season, Forgetter's arc was excellent.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i stayed watching Spy Classroom for more catchphrases, to see what each girl had but they didn't seem to have anymore past the first episode

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not sure what you mean, they do all have and use them at times. Usually a climactic moment? Dreamspeaker used hers in the ep last week.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

InspectorCarbonara posted:

The emotional thrust of the story is original to the movie so it largely works, but it definitely skimps on some of the character details. You probably won't understand why everyone acts the way they do, but the highs are still pretty high.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

Happy Marriage has the stereotypical super nasty villainess character that just wants to ruin the heroine that's usually in all the otome isekai stories, first time seeing it in a regular story.

Yeah I think she even did the classic otome villainess "Oh ho ho ho ho ho!" laugh at one point

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/anime_eupho/status/1687395056410677248?s=46&t=g0OYFpH0sgkCOtjKnpq5Gw

Season 3 of Hibike Euphonium announced for next Spring.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't really dipped my toes into any shows outside of Helck this season because there really hasn't been much popping out to me. Even Helck is just an okay snack show than anything super meaty. Zom100 I might watch after it ends but as far as weekly watches I'm still rather stumped. I know people are raving for MyGO! Is it supposed to be funny, dramatic or anxiety-inducing? What's it's vibe and are there any other shows that have really been popping off this season?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I haven't really dipped my toes into any shows outside of Helck this season because there really hasn't been much popping out to me. Even Helck is just an okay snack show than anything super meaty. Zom100 I might watch after it ends but as far as weekly watches I'm still rather stumped. I know people are raving for MyGO! Is it supposed to be funny, dramatic or anxiety-inducing? What's it's vibe and are there any other shows that have really been popping off this season?

Murderface

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

I know people are raving for MyGO! Is it supposed to be funny, dramatic or anxiety-inducing?

Yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I know people are raving for MyGO! Is it supposed to be funny, dramatic or anxiety-inducing? What's it's vibe and are there any other shows that have really been popping off this season?
mygo is a band drama with some good character banter/comedy. its not really like bocchi (or previous seasons of bang dream) that are mostly good natured comedies but its not like, the most despair inducing thing ever, its just teens being dramatic at each other.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

mygo has some light comedic elements but the primary writing focus is social/band-related drama and i think it can be a little anxiety inducing.

undead murder farce is tons of fun but if you're already waiting on stuff to binge i'd also probably wait on this because they cram a lot into 20m episodes which leads to the pacing feeling kind of weird and i think it would work better as a binge watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

mygo is a band drama with some good character banter/comedy. its not really like bocchi (or previous seasons of bang dream) that are mostly good natured comedies but its not like, the most despair inducing thing ever, its just teens being dramatic at each other.

I might pick this one up then. I want something with some heft for a good weekly watch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mygo owns, highly recommend it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

mygo owns, highly recommend it

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Murderface is still good but I'm extremely over Sherlock Holmes fanfic. Put that poo poo back in the private domain imo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cave emperor posted:

Murderface is still good but I'm extremely over Sherlock Holmes fanfic. Put that poo poo back in the private domain imo.

no

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I like the tone they've taken when setting up Holmes and Rindou as detective rivals, which I'm sure will continue to play out with the usual strength of the banter so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spellblades turning out to have even more in common with Cold Steel since no one actually died last ep lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Can people find out what show you mean if they ask for things they haven't heard of and you only use a nickname instead of the real title?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Can people find out what show you mean if they ask for things they haven't heard of and you only use a nickname instead of the real title?

Only one way to find out

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cave emperor posted:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
100 years from now. When Undead Murderface 2000 airs, it be about Harry Potter teaming with Twilight, Hunger Games, IT, Animorphs

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

murder farce is the best show i'm watching for sure

synduality noir is probably 2nd. or sugar apple fairy tale but that one's on s2 so you all missed the boat

seven spellblades is okay but i can't shake the feeling i'm watching something thats getting higurashi'd

dark gathering is still decently funny but the horror bits havent been nearly as effective after the first episode

shiro seijo is a very nice adaptation effort trying its hardest to elevate a pretty dull 4koma manga and not really succeeding

that's all i got. definitely a weaker season but summer typically is. i'll probably drop those last 2 after 1 more episode unless they break the status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We gotta public domain Columbo, then anime will be overrun with more things