Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Starting to think I need to keep a full set of medium armor around for these Heist/Sacrament daily quests.

The stealth in this game is so incredibly janky and for some reason npcs and traps respawn during these missions, which is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Potato Salad posted:

Watch some guide videos by Deltia's Gaming

No really go do it, he's so good at explaining the flow of ESO combat

Agreed, Deltia is great. Hack the Minotaur and Skinny Cheeks are also good youtubers to watch to learn about mechanics imo.

Learning about sets and what each attribute does has helped me enjoy the game more by looking into sets myself, experimenting with interactions and all that, makes it more fun when you understand better the walls of text that some sets have.

Now that I think about it, this kinda scratches the same itch that deck brewing does for me on MtG where I don't really like copying meta decks but testing janky builds is very fun to me.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 30, 2023

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

What's some good stuff to buy with Tel Var?

I'm using my writ vouchers to buy storage coffers, any other good buys from there?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

What's some good stuff to buy with Tel Var?

Hakeijo runes.

Can also try your luck on Powerful Assault boxes (Ice Staff can go for millions), but the Hakeijo price is basically guaranteed.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Interesting, I didn't know that rune was so valuable, will give it a shot

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So with the ESO+ weekend I have been running the dungeons I haven't purchased (the second set of Greymoor dungeons forward). I got down to Bal Sunnar (most recent set) and Red Petal Bastion. Bal Sunnar came up four times and every time the tank and/or healer would leave immediately. Is this dungeon hated for some reason? The one time we got the the first boss we didn't have a tank so the healer was very busy. The healer then bailed after that.

My first attempt at Graven Deep had the tank quit immediately and the other DPS said it takes longer than normal as most players want to do the optional bosses for an arch lead.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Just installed the Wizard's Wardrobe and Action Duration Reminder addons and... how did I ever live without these?

Only complaint is that the first one's Champion Point functionality is basically useless until you reach like level 1500 since it can only shuffle nodes you currently have unlocked.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are there any recommended add ons for people just getting started? Where do you get them?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dick Trauma posted:

Are there any recommended add ons for people just getting started? Where do you get them?

use Minion to manage addons
https://minion.mmoui.com/
ESOUI if you wanna read about them or troubleshoot or download manually
https://www.esoui.com/addons.php

Zen recommendation: when you find something annoying in the game or some feature you'd like, search to see if there's an addon.

Real answer:
ESO has a good number of basic UI options built in, but the UI is still quite lacking. Getting a UI addon is probably worth it if that matters to UI.
I like Bandits.

Tamriel Trade Centre (TTC) the most convenient trading addon. Let's you quickly see at a glance a ballpark figure of what an item is worth.
Use the website tamrieltradecentre.com if you want to find something specific to buy.

After that it really depends on what matters to you.

Some popular useful things:
UI
Votan's Keybinder if you are someone who changes keybinds because ESO insists on making keybinds per character, this let's you have the same keybinds for everyone

Urich's Skill Point Finder: Nice simple way to see where you can find skillpoints.

Harven's Improved Skills Window: easier to see what skills morph into

Inventory insight: If you have multiple characters this lets you see other character's inventories without logging into them.

Crafting:
Craftstore: tracks research and motif/recipe knowledge across multiple characters.
Lazy Writ Creator: makes doing daily writs easier.
Potion Maker: The default alchemy interface sucks, this helps.

Combat:
Code's Combat Alerts: Helps with some mech timers that the game doesn't make obvious.

I really would not load up on addons until you know what you feel you want more help on.
Wanna grind antiquities but find the default interfact lacking? get Display Leads
Want to parse and do endgame content? Get combat metrics.
Want to manage a bunch of gear sets? Wizard's Wardrobe is useful.
Want more powerful housing editing tools? Essential housing tools is very well regarded.
etc

In general addons fall into two camps:
UI addons that either change how things look, or surface info that isn't easy to find or get.
Small automation addons that do interface actions for you (pull things in and out of inventory, assign skill/champion points/swap gear/etc)

Addons won't let you do things you couldn't do without them and won't perform world interacting actions for you (no moving, combat, initial interacting, etc).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you! I'll go easy on mods until I learn more.

One thing that confuses me is the first crafting person I encountered said that I could only be "certified" in one crafting skill at a time, but I see that people appear to gain and use all the skills. I'm probably just not understanding the way this is phrase.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 1, 2023

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That just means that you can do the crafting certification quests one at a time, but you can be certified in all 7 crafts. To get certified in jewelry crafting you need to go to Alinor in Summerset but for the other 6 you can do them in your alliance city.

Daily writs are an easy source of gold and xp and they take like 10 minutes to do once you gather a good cache of materials.

I think most of you are on PC but if you're a new player on PSNA let me know and I can hook you up with beginner crafting materials

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 1, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah I'll happily hook you up with any crafted sets you want. Again, go to Deltia's website -- any of his solo non-heavy-attack builds especially are loving fantastic for learning the mechanics of the game

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I see now that when you research something it's a single attribute for a specific slot. Is it also for a specific armor weight? I can see now how research can take forever, especially because it looks like it's character specific.

So if you have alt-itis is there any point to doing any kind of crafting on additional characters beyond collecting mats and deconstructing? Do people research just a small number of traits for specific armor types and slots?

Sorry to ask so many questions about this but what guides I've found are barebones and focus on the mechanics of researching but not the player strategy, and I usually craft in games.

EDIT: I'm still confused about weapon and armor choices, and why there's such a plethora of skills but so few skill slots. There's so many skills from the class, then from any weapon you use even once, then guilds, race, etc. Just a shitload of skills and you won't be able to use hardly any of them. I must be missing something because when it comes time to use skill points I generally just look for passives because the last thing I need is another skill I can't fit on the bar. And this feeling that sooner or later I have to level everything is always in the back of my mind.

I started a templar and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be using for a weapon or armor. I'm focused on magic so I'm wearing almost all light armor due to the magic related bonuses, and since the first skill is melee range (the one where you JABJABJAB your enemy in the face) I'm using a two handed axe. But... I can't tell if something else would be better because I can't determine if there's some sort of benefit to mixing up traditional class and weapon matches. Maybe by buying a narrower system I found Skyrim fairly easy to understand, even if I wanted something a bit more unorthodox than a wizard with a staff.

But so far ESO's synergies among class, resource focus, armor, skills, weapons... eludes me.

PatentPending posted:

My sister has one character and just researched everything eventually on that single character and took her time with it. This is the correct approach.

My brother created a dedicated alt who after grinding to L50 does nothing except craft, all research and styles etc happen on that alt. This is the bad approach.

I created a bunch of characters who I do content with sometimes and have divided up the crafting duties amongst them. So one does blacksmithing, one does enchanting, etc. This is the worst approach DO NOT DO THIS.

Oh this is good info, and it's in line with how everyone talks about not grinding, taking your time, following quest lines, etc. I'm still fooling around with test characters to try to and find one to focus on. I don't think this is a good game choice for my usual load of alts.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 2, 2023

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Yes it’s for a specific armor weight. Heavy is blacksmithing, light and medium are clothing (and are separate research slots, i.e. light chest is different to medium chest).

My sister has one character and just researched everything eventually on that single character and took her time with it. This is the correct approach.

My brother created a dedicated alt who after grinding to L50 does nothing except craft, all research and styles etc happen on that alt. This is the bad approach.

I created a bunch of characters who I do content with sometimes and have divided up the crafting duties amongst them. So one does blacksmithing, one does enchanting, etc. This is the worst approach DO NOT DO THIS.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I bought the Domihaus head from the golden vendor and I really want the shoulders but have had no luck after four boxes, got the other set all four times lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lol just noticed the thread tag

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Honestly, it’s been like that since at least Daggerfall. I don’t care to admit how much time I spent shopping for the right style clothing and colors in that game.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

I regret sleeping on the card game. The rewards are fantastic even if you lose a match.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

After hours of playing and watching videos I decided that it was time to liquidate my test characters and start for real, with just one character. I think I have a handle on the basics, and how you can level a bunch of stuff at once. Crafting makes more sense to me now. I'm going to take my time and not worry about the concepts that seem too complicated for me.

But why so many urns? And why must I loot all of them?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I was just doing pledges with randos and got paired with a group of 3k+ CP players, holy poo poo do they melt enemies down fast! In a DLC dungeon too.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

How much of a pain is it to get the gold dye from the card game?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dick Trauma posted:

After hours of playing and watching videos I decided that it was time to liquidate my test characters and start for real, with just one character. I think I have a handle on the basics, and how you can level a bunch of stuff at once. Crafting makes more sense to me now. I'm going to take my time and not worry about the concepts that seem too complicated for me.

Why liquidate? You get character 10 slots. You never know. At the very least they can be storage mules.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's my usual routine starting a game like this. I can always make more if I need them. They helped stake my "real" character with their combined mats and gold and some items to research.

EDIT: Didn't realize that houses were account-wide. That's neat!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 4, 2023

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

One reason to make additional chars is that you can get one free inn room per character in different zones, just do the Room to Spare quest.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Player_Housing

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Simone Poodoin posted:

One reason to make additional chars is that you can get one free inn room per character in different zones, just do the Room to Spare quest.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Player_Housing
or, you can make a character, claim the free inn room, then delete it and repeat.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

You should probably avoid the hallway outside the thieves guild entrance in Necrom. Hundreds of urns, all marked as stealable, no guards to see you stealing, and access to the thieves guild is right there.

On the other hand, if you're looking to max out legerdemain quickly, it's great.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

g0del posted:

You should probably avoid the hallway outside the thieves guild entrance in Necrom. Hundreds of urns, all marked as stealable, no guards to see you stealing, and access to the thieves guild is right there.

On the other hand, if you're looking to max out legerdemain quickly, it's great.

Oh that was a great tip, finally having fun with that skill. Something I can put points into and get more chummy with my companion, Sharp-as-night who is quite handy. Still, I should brew more elixers of invisiblity for the tricky stuff.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Gonna try that tomorrow, been stealing apples in belkarth like a chump

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

g0del posted:

Yeah, it's fantastic. I suggest doing it with Azandar active so that you also get a ton of Research Folders.

In other news, finally sold the epic companion chestpiece I got from a dolmen for 1mil, about a 50% markdown from what I could theoretically get if I had a guild trader... but we work with what we've got. Really hate trying to sell these high price yet low demand items.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 5, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

g0del posted:

This. If you want to max Ledger do this everyday.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Offkorn posted:

Yeah, it's fantastic. I suggest doing it with Azandar active so that you also get a ton of Research Folders.

In other news, finally sold the epic companion chestpiece I got from a dolmen for 1mil, about a 50% markdown from what I could theoretically get if I had a guild trader... but we work with what we've got. Really hate trying to sell these high price yet low demand items.

holy crap, congrats

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Word of warning for those who want to play around in Cyrodiil: You won't get any end of month/week reward unless you right click on a campaign name and set it to "Home". Switching home campaigns will also apparently reset all reward progress.

The reward isn't huge, but it's still annoying to miss out on just because of a missed setting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I want to find out more about this in-game card game so I'm taking what appears to be a very long trip to get to the quest location, the kind of MMO long run I've always enjoyed.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

I want to find out more about this in-game card game so I'm taking what appears to be a very long trip to get to the quest location, the kind of MMO long run I've always enjoyed.

The card game is insanely lucrative. The consolation prize for losing a casual match? I got 3 chromium grains from one.

It just drowns you in tons of crafting materials (20 plat dust here, 10 nightshade there), which is awesome.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I'm generally bad at games due to my small brain this one doesn't seem too bad. Maybe a bit over-complicated without adding to the fun. I probably will not figure out anything beyond the most basic strategy but I might play it when the opportunity arises. For now I'll go back to questing.

EDIT: Tried playing a human being and got destroyed.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 7, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

The trick, as far as I can tell, is to always gather only one or two types of Patron cards while making sure to always use Patron abilities (including the Treasury early on to get more coin) when possible. Sometimes you may want to grab a card from a Patron your opponent is collecting though. Sacrifice cards (like Ragpicker) are also pretty important to rid your deck of excess cards.

It's amazing how many people forget about the Patron win condition (if all 4 favor you, you win, no prestige necessary).

More advanced strategies would be choosing Patrons that oppose the Patron your opponent picked. If they grab Rajhin for example (who adds useless cards to your deck), you may want to respond with the Psijic (card cycle) or Red Eagle (card sacrifice). They pick Almalexia (agent-based card steal)? St. Pelin or Ansei will (hopefully) give you the Power cards necessary to keep them down.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I went off to do the campaigns tutorial so I could pick up that passive that boosts your speed. The open country campaign reminded me of Guild Wars 2. I didn't leave the sewers in the city campaign but it made me wish for an Elder Scrolls version of The Division, probably my favorite game for purely environment vibe reasons.

I've accumulated a few skill points because I'm following a simple build guide so I'm looking for passives and crafting skills I can boost, like the ones that give you additional materials when you deconstruct. Although the low level sorcerer experience has been okay in a few more levels I'll be ready to put them on pause for a bit to test out Warden, Templar and Nightblade again.

For a solo PvE player is there a class that can primary a bow and swap to melee when they can't maintain range? Is having ranged/melee for front and back bars even a reasonable option in this game or is the back bar really meant only for buffing and additional skills to supplement a front bar that's heavily offence?

EDIT: VVV thank you!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 7, 2023

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dick Trauma posted:

For a solo PvE player is there a class that can primary a bow and swap to melee when they can't maintain range? Is having ranged/melee for front and back bars even a reasonable option in this game or is the back bar really meant only for buffing and additional skills to supplement a front bar that's heavily offence?
Yes it's possible, it has not been ideal for quite a while. Bows are making a comeback next patch, tho.
For optimal play, yes the back bar is meant for additional buffs rather than playstyle flexibility, but it can be used that way and it's not that suboptimal.
Any class should be fine with any playstyle.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Brewing builds is fun, my nightblade was a briarheart/hundings rage dual dagger fast attack machine. I just changed it to an immortal axe wielding fire ring summoning maniac

5 pieces Hexo’s Ward for the damage shield proc with crits. (Armor)

4 pieces Tzogin’s for the crit chance and penetration. (Weapons and jewelry)

2 pieces Domihaus monster set for the stam/magicka as well as the cool lava fire ring effect.

Oakensoul

The first tzogin weapon I found was a battleaxe and it’s great because the two handed skill line lokes crit stuff too. With all of this I can have shields up pretty much constantly as long as I keep on attacking so it’s a very fun aggressive build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Was disappointing to find that the main Bleakrock quest is bugged, and having found 9 of the 10 missing NPCs I'm bummed that the only fix is to abandon the quest and start over to make the 10th person reappear. I shouldn't be surprised at bugs in a Bethesda game but still... it's annoying.