Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Standingstoic posted:

Kinda tangentially related here, but Concrete Jungle is a card-based game about community building. Don't see it get mentioned too much, but it's a very polished experience with some nice art.

Is that what's it actually called? I can't find it.

Edit: ah, it's incompatible with my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Oh.

Well it's offscreen in landscape now. I think I'm gonna consider this beating endless mode

This is the result of about 15 of each cat multiplier essence item and 25 cats feeding off Mrs fruit/compost item. And bounty hunter/thieves.

But what I learned at the end there is what really matters is all those cats and about 7 capsule items that make them trigger twice. Which stacks. And then the essence item for capsules which apparently persists after it's destroyed? Anyway, if I use a refresh capsule I get 150 refreshes out of it. So you can see where I'm going with this. Buffing capsules plus cats. I think it broke something too cause in some cases (usually when a piece of fruit sprouts from a seed) I first get negative a few trillion gold before it explodes and doubles.

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 3, 2023

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is there anything that's like, you make a team of little dudes and watch them fight stuff, but they're running around and going places. Idk. Summoners War is just FF parties fighting, Ever Legion has a little bit of positioning but its limited. I guess I'm looking for like a DOTA but you just watch your bots fight, something between an autochess and a dota

I would give Despots Game a shot. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KonfaGames.DespotsGame

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there any reason to go down more floors in LBAL after you get essences?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What the gently caress is this goose game? Is there any reason to continue playing a level beyond meeting the other goose head? I left a level overnight and gained millions but of course it doesn't carry over.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New Leaf posted:

What the gently caress is this goose game? Is there any reason to continue playing a level beyond meeting the other goose head? I left a level overnight and gained millions but of course it doesn't carry over.

It's an idle game so you rebirth and start over but with new sprout types and a taller goose therefore more room to work and make combos plus other benefits.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

New Leaf posted:

It's an idle game like Cookie Clicker or whatever, where you frequently reset in order to get bonuses to the next round. So you build to the top, reset, and then the next round has you gaining money 1.2x faster but you need to build higher with some extra environmental conditions like low gravity or wind. Once you get to the top you're supposed to just reset to zero and start over.

It's kind of a strange genre when you write it out like that but the resets make it so that you can do new designs over and over rather than having to 100% optimize one set.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just gonna pop in here with my somewhat annual warning of "Do not play Egg Inc. Do not engage."

It's not that it's bad, it's a really polished entry into the clicker genre. Maybe too polished. I have spent more time and money (like $5) into it than I ever expected, and had to force myself to drop it for good. It was extremely addictive, if that genre interests you at all.

Seriously. It got bad.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Egg inc was fun but they really reduced the number of prophecy eggs with all the contacts being kinda useless with crappy rewards.

Once you have all the trophies the game kinda ends.

Anyway I check maybe once a month to do the prophecy egg contact and I see that now you can pay a subsection to get more contacts with prophecy eggs and that just killed any interest I have left in the game

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Len posted:

Is there any reason to go down more floors in LBAL after you get essences?

I guess only for the challenge of beating the floor with the landlords adding more x's and removing refreshes/removes from the emails. He also gets more health the higher you go

I really wish there were 2 save files. I wanna play my endless make big number game but also wanna lose a bunch of times before rent 5 trying to beat the next floor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just gonna pop in here with my somewhat annual warning of "Do not play Egg Inc. Do not engage."

It's not that it's bad, it's a really polished entry into the clicker genre. Maybe too polished. I have spent more time and money (like $5) into it than I ever expected, and had to force myself to drop it for good. It was extremely addictive, if that genre interests you at all.

Seriously. It got bad.

Conversely I found it pretty boring and uninstalled it as quickly as any other bad phone game. We all have our specific weaknesses I guess.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Galaxy Trucker is on sale. Is it decent for a quick sessions on the bus and the like?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

sad question posted:

Galaxy Trucker is on sale. Is it decent for a quick sessions on the bus and the like?

I played lots of Galaxy Trucker on the bus and I think you'll enjoy it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I keep getting ads for this stupid game: Tower War https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=games.vaveda.militaryoverturn

And it has hit a nostalgia vein that has me loging for web browser flash games / Starcraft UMS maps. Now I want to play a game like this where you build up factories and launch them to capture bases. Is there a non freemium ad-riddled game that can scratch it? If not, I'll probably have to play that game until the ads drive me insane / I get bored.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I think Opacha by Yiotro is a very bare-bones but competent version of what you're looking for.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Xtanstic posted:

So I keep getting ads for this stupid game: Tower War https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=games.vaveda.militaryoverturn

And it has hit a nostalgia vein that has me loging for web browser flash games / Starcraft UMS maps. Now I want to play a game like this where you build up factories and launch them to capture bases. Is there a non freemium ad-riddled game that can scratch it? If not, I'll probably have to play that game until the ads drive me insane / I get bored.

Tbh the aesthetic is different but Cell Expansion Wars might work for you. If has ads and premium items but the ads are top of page ones instead of videos.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tbh the aesthetic is different but Cell Expansion Wars might work for you. If has ads and premium items but the ads are top of page ones instead of videos.

It's closer to the old flash game aesthetic that I used to play on Kongregate and the ilk so I actually prefer it. Thanks for the recommendation.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
Looking for colorful visually pleasing or maybe cute tactics rpg / jrpg something with planning or strategic elements to its combat systems.

Maybe like Octopath Traveller or Sea of Stars.

Also any thoughts on Guardian Tales or Arknights?

TIA.

i3lueHorneT fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 4, 2023

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

sad question posted:

yeah its perfect for that. as a bonus if ever you come across someone with the cardboard version youll already know the good parts to grab!

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

i3lueHorneT posted:

Looking for colorful visually pleasing or maybe cute tactics rpg / jrpg something with planning or strategic elements to its combat systems.

TIA.

Another Eden.

Guardian Tales is action and awesome, except it’s absolutely crippled by the character development system. I dunno if it has changed but it took like a month or two fully focused on one character to max them out. I have no idea the state of the game now though.

Then yea might as well as check out Arknights too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

How playable is Plants Vs Zombies 2 without buying stuff in the cash shop? Is it "it'll make it faster to upgrade" or "some levels are next to impossible unless you get your wallet out"?

It looks like it's a loot box system which is annoying.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone have recc's for pass-and-play games that are pretty light/simple but still fun? My partner and I want to play something on plane rides together, but she doesn't like playing Scrabble with me because I have all the cheap words memorized. Ideally no strategy games or card games. Most of what I'm finding out there are tactical.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have recc's for pass-and-play games that are pretty light/simple but still fun? My partner and I want to play something on plane rides together, but she doesn't like playing Scrabble with me because I have all the cheap words memorized. Ideally no strategy games or card games. Most of what I'm finding out there are tactical.

Patchwork is good fun, it's a boardgames adaptation.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

i3lueHorneT posted:

TIA.

Honkai: Star Rail is a gacha turn-based RPG with great graphics and surprisingly interesting combat system. If you can put up with f2p sorta things (which aren't too bad here in terms of being forced to spend money to get anything good), it's a good time.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

My wife and I enjoy Ticket to Ride, as I will go for the game winning strategies while she just tries to interfere as much as possible and then win.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kris xK posted:

My wife and I enjoy Ticket to Ride, as I will go for the game winning strategies while she just tries to interfere as much as possible and then win.

Sounds like she's the one going for game-winning strategies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks so far, y'all—I'll check out Patchwork, but to course-correct, I was definitely hoping for something more on the casual side. Something that's a bit more throwaway and mindless, or is over quickly and has high replayability. Ticket to Ride had too much strategy and required too long of an attention span for her when we played the tabletop version last year.

Neither of us is competitive, so that's a pretty big barrier I guess. Something closer to co-op might be ideal, or something low-stakes.

I do wonder if the silliness of Worms would work for her, though. Is one of the mobile ports considered better than the others? My favorite part about the Worms game I played in high school (Armageddon? World Tour?) was the map-making and customizability of all the options and weapons. Unlocking a bunch of stuff doesn't sound very appealing these days, though.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Man had been stuck on floor 12 for about a week and couldn't get past it.... Then today got a King along with triple coins and the triple coins essence and just started hammering away! man, that felt good!

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Sounds like she's the one going for game-winning strategies

I meant to say "extravagant and unnecessary strategies" but I hadn't had my morning coffee yet so brain no work good.

But yes, you would be correct.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

How playable is Plants Vs Zombies 2 without buying stuff in the cash shop? Is it "it'll make it faster to upgrade" or "some levels are next to impossible unless you get your wallet out"?

It looks like it's a loot box system which is annoying.

Honestly, if I remember correctly you get to the point of needing to buy poo poo because it gets so unfair. But that was some time ago, but it's EA so just assume the worst.

Also everyone, Tinyfolks is on sale for 99cents and it's a delight. Darkest Dungeon Jr.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.VandermaesenGames.Tinyfolks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Silius posted:

Honestly, if I remember correctly you get to the point of needing to buy poo poo because it gets so unfair. But that was some time ago, but it's EA so just assume the worst.

Also everyone, Tinyfolks is on sale for 99cents and it's a delight. Darkest Dungeon Jr.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.VandermaesenGames.Tinyfolks

Yeah, it's also pushing long ads on me after every round which sucks. Can't just make a nice game and sell it for a price point, no sir.

Are there any good knockoffs of it that don't have that issue?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

i3lueHorneT posted:

TIA.

I'm gonna 2nd another eden. It is the chrono trigger f2p game. People have beaten all of the super bosses with only f2p characters, and they give a ton of premium currency.

It just has a crazy amount of content. The way they format new content as short stories that build off the previous stories. They don't just boil the pot forever. It nice to actually get closure on things and then move on to a new story. In any other game, you would just be this unknown orphan fight the beast wars forever.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Octopath Traveler: Champions Of The Continent is just a reskin of Another Eden, with some tweeks to make it Octopathy.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Man, LBAL changes completely once you get over the level 6 hump. Essences almost make it too easy. I spent days on 6 only to breeze through 7.

(I may eat those words down the road..)

I'm stuck on 13, but mainly because I'm trying to not cheese bees and flowers again

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sleekly posted:

yeah its perfect for that. as a bonus if ever you come across someone with the cardboard version youll already know the good parts to grab!
Counter point: the mobile version is a lot more fun

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, it's also pushing long ads on me after every round which sucks. Can't just make a nice game and sell it for a price point, no sir.

Are there any good knockoffs of it that don't have that issue?

It requires some android file knowhow, but you might try one of the many modded campaigns people have put together for pvz2. Other than that, I'm not sure there's anything among the 800 billion tower defense games on the play store that quite nails the same pacing and positional focus that it does.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

feedmyleg posted:

Small World has been my wife and my go-to game for years. It's Risk, but you never gain new units and it's over in 10 turns.

It's strategy but not Strategy if that makes sense. There's also decent AI and different boards for 2/3/4/5 players, so it doesn't get stale.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

GetDunked posted:

It requires some android file knowhow, but you might try one of the many modded campaigns people have put together for pvz2. Other than that, I'm not sure there's anything among the 800 billion tower defense games on the play store that quite nails the same pacing and positional focus that it does.

Thanks for this, I had no idea it existed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

GetDunked posted:

Awesome, thank you. I'll look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
In Luck Be a Landlord, does anyone else feel weird when you add Toddler symbols for the purpose of being murdered by General Zaroff?