Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

whoa, where is this one from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bogus Adventure posted:

whoa, where is this one from?

The story goes that that was the original plan for the films, was to have a practical effects doll for the child.

They did not like the results, so they pivoted to a creepy CGI-baby.

EDIT https://jezebel.com/freaky-twilight-doll-may-actually-be-haunted-1843528024

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 3, 2023

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like watching horses in westerns because they're not always on board with the movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The story goes that that was the original plan for the films, was to have a practical effects doll for the child.

They did not like the results, so they pivoted to a creepy CGI-baby.

EDIT https://jezebel.com/freaky-twilight-doll-may-actually-be-haunted-1843528024

Lol that the doll looks less disturbing than the lady

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Working with kids is pretty fun. I’ve only had like two little weird moments but other than that I’ve been impressed.

One kid tried to put a hex on the trick r treat fan film set. I didn’t know if it was a good or bad one and he didn’t really say lol. But it worked out so thanks lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are you saying people actually still avoid theaters due to the pandemic?? Like right now?
It's absolutely a factor in their calculations. The general audience isn't afraid of dying to an unknown superplague anymore but people are still factoring in the hassle of getting sick and missing a few days of work, turning a $20+ outing into a several hundred dollar outing. If the movie's not that good why bother with all that, just wait for streaming. Audience behavior is changing, instead of just going out on the weekend to see whatever is playing and picking a familiar name, people are only going to the theaters to see movies they really want to see, and are just fine waiting for the rest to hit streaming.

And if you're elderly you actually do still have to worry about dying and you still have to be careful, and that's the bulk of Harrison Ford fans.

duz posted:

This is The Call of the Wild erasure.
No one saw Call of the Wild

Bogus Adventure posted:

:cool::respek::cool:

Yeah, I lost interest once Power Rangers turned into Zeo, and then when I heard the new Blue Ranger for Turbo was 12 I just nope'd out of it. Power Rangers Lost Galaxy was pretty funny, though. Also had a bitchin' theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOh26JYwLOs
I think it was In Space that featured the ubiquitous Starship Troopers movie outfits and Lost Galaxy which started with a Rumble in the Bronx tribute.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 4, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s just expensive

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The weird thing about the Power Rangers reboot, to me, was just that the trailer was scored with this slow moody cover of... Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-C4qqsgs8w

Like, okay sometimes you do this because a song's lyrics have something to do with the movie but you don't like the tempo so you either use an acoustic cover (as Donnie Darko did, hence dooming us all) or have some artist make one.

But like why this song. What does this have to do with your Power Rangers reboot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It sets the tone for the cool first half and not the awful second half

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
remember when Murder on the Orient Express had Imagine Dragons on it lmao

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alan Smithee posted:

remember when Murder on the Orient Express had Imagine Dragons on it lmao

That makes sense, because Imagine Dragons is tailor-made to be only played in promotional material.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
There are zero good Wicker Man movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Apart from The Wicker Man (original) and The Wicker Man (remake), I agree.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I am going into battle and I want your strongest plutonium.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That makes sense, because Imagine Dragons is tailor-made to be only played in promotional material.

I’m pretty sure imagine dragons actually literally did start as a promotional music production thing a la two steps from hell.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I’m pretty sure imagine dragons actually literally did start as a promotional music production thing a la two steps from hell.

2 steps? Sounds like they get it from the source hahahahahaha

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They started as a band because their songs were rejected for use in the Spider-Man musical.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nightmare Cinema posted:

:mods:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just finished closing the financing for Rebecca Lenkiewicz’s Hot Milk. More than 3 weeks after star of shoot. Good-natured transaction but “difficult difficult lemon difficult”.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Me, reading this post:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching Flight of the Phoenix. I thought they were gonna fix the plane, not try to build a smaller plane out of it. That’s an insanely stupid plan, there’s no way it’ll work.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Possibly the greatest twist in cinematic history.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flight of the Phoenix. Pretty good.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Insidious: The Red Door (dont bother)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Insidious: The Red Door (dont bother)

sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9NRx67fts

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I saw that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 was now streaming on Disney+ and planned on watching it tonight since I skip all those movies in theater, but then I learned that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was on Max; a movie I probably haven't watched since 1995 on VHS and I was 10. So I decided to watch it instead. Honestly, it's everything I remembered and way better. Transfer looks nice, some surprisingly nice cinematography sprinkled around, a lot of 80's/90's tech film grain, the banging soundtrack. Honestly think I came out on top with that decision.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 5, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mental Hospitality posted:

I saw that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 was now streaming on Disney+ and planned on watching it tonight since I skip all those movies in theater, but then I learned that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was on Max; a movie I probably haven't watched since 1995 on VHS and I was 10. So I decided to watch it instead. Honestly, it's everything I remembered and way better. Transfer looks nice, some surprisingly nice cinematography sprinkled around, a lot of 80's/90's tech film grain, the banging soundtrack. Honestly think I came out on top with that decision.

TMNT '95 owns. All of those movies are pretty good, even the cheesy sequels

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gripweed posted:

Flight of the Phoenix. Pretty good.

Which version did you watch? I have a weird soft spot for the remake (2004) and will pretty much watch it whenever it pops on.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

Ah a fellow chucker!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I'm watching Star Trek 2009 and in the scene where they're scrambling all the cadets to the front Uhura gets mad at her teacher, Spock because she didn't get the one she wanted and she says "did I not, on multiple occasions demonstrate exceptional aural sensitivty" which seems like a pun JJ Abram's would do in 2009

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Which version did you watch? I have a weird soft spot for the remake (2004) and will pretty much watch it whenever it pops on.

The original. But if you've seen the remake I have a question. In the original by like the halfway mark everybody has blisters all over their face. It's gross but because of the technology of the time they do look a bit fake. Does the remake use our modern technology to make them look super gross?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Bogus Adventure posted:

TMNT '95 owns. All of those movies are pretty good, even the cheesy sequels

There weren't any ninja turtle movies in '95, but yes the 1990 one is great. The 1991 sequel has its charm but it's notably a step down and the third one from 1993 was so bad it took them 14 years to try to revisit the franchise.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is there a thread for talking about movies that aren't "genre"? Clockwatchers, Lantana, etc. I just saw The Passenger, which was okay to good and sort of floated in that direction as a film, but then I saw Giant Little Ones and it absolutely blew me away and given me cravings for that kind of story.

And I guess it's just a genre of film that I really enjoy and like to watch more / talk more about. The only other examples of this kind of thing I can think of are obscure Canadian and Australian indie dramas tbh, and that Alan Ball film that's named after a slur. American Beauty too, maybe. House of Sand And Fog? And I know there's got to be more. But it's a hard one to sort of look for because it's a genre defined by what it's not and I'm not that educated about it tbh

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I always think of American Beauty as a melodrama, but a particularly self-centered one.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Where’s the legend of the stardust brothers thread go?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Where’s the legend of the stardust brothers thread go?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035491

it's just not pinned anymore because it is no longer July

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is there a thread for talking about movies that aren't "genre"? Clockwatchers, Lantana, etc. I just saw The Passenger, which was okay to good and sort of floated in that direction as a film, but then I saw Giant Little Ones and it absolutely blew me away and given me cravings for that kind of story.

And I guess it's just a genre of film that I really enjoy and like to watch more / talk more about. The only other examples of this kind of thing I can think of are obscure Canadian and Australian indie dramas tbh, and that Alan Ball film that's named after a slur. American Beauty too, maybe. House of Sand And Fog? And I know there's got to be more. But it's a hard one to sort of look for because it's a genre defined by what it's not and I'm not that educated about it tbh

There is not I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Anybody want a bluesky code?