Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

Huh. I didn't realize the MiG-17 had an afterburner. TIL

it was a funny surprise for american pilots who saw what they though was a mig-15 suddenly go vertical in vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Those are some phenomenal photos!

Yeah, absolutely gorgeous.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah baby, that's the stuff

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah man, those photos are great. 'nthing the B25. I've seen far, far worse looking commercial prints. I'm assuming the lighting on the underside is the pyro?

You should watermark those.

What are you using for equipment? Don't you dare say your phone lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah awesome shot, very lucky getting the sunset caught like that

From the OSHA thread:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah awesome shot, very lucky getting the sunset caught like that

From the OSHA thread:

No it's ok, look how slow the rotor is spinning

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That will not buff out.

You too can total a plane with this one weird trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw-aUVa3a0U

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 31, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

That will not buff out.

Is it bouncing off the single rear that gives it the torsion needed to do that, or can you just skip the rear gear entirely

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hadlock posted:

Is it bouncing off the single rear that gives it the torsion needed to do that, or can you just skip the rear gear entirely

I am not an airplane designer but I think it's the first hard hit on the nose gear, which occurred with the mains off the ground. The main landing gear is at roughly the center of mass of the airplane and everything in the structure is engineered around normal landing technique, which is to absorb the energy of the landing impact through the mains with the airplane rotated to a medium AoA, then rotate the nose down gently. When the nose gear is temporarily the only thing supporting the entire weight of the airplane, that puts a bending moment on the fuselage which the fuselage was not designed to handle. (I'd guess that this is exacerbated by the nose gear not having enough shock absorber capacity to handle the whole aircraft's weight, making the impact forces much shorter and sharper than the same impulse through the mains.)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Reddit was kicking around that the type was known to slam down the nose if you didn't keep it up after the mains come down. In the right conditions that's presumably enough even if you don't bounce the back. Supposedly the guy was on IOE and there's going to be a lot of blame thrown around but it probably isn't going to be the end of anyone's career.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FunOne posted:

Reddit was kicking around that the type was known to slam down the nose if you didn't keep it up after the mains come down. In the right conditions that's presumably enough even if you don't bounce the back. Supposedly the guy was on IOE and there's going to be a lot of blame thrown around but it probably isn't going to be the end of anyone's career.

Scuttlebutt is that the PIC was not on IOE.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

for the dummies (me) what is initial operating experience and whats the sigificance there

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

OMGVBFLOL posted:

for the dummies (me) what is initial operating experience and whats the sigificance there

The last phase of airline training, which is also the first few trips of flying in the real airplane, with an instructor pilot in the other seat.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Platystemon posted:

That will not buff out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw-aUVa3a0U

Just pressurize the cabin, it'll pop right back into shape.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xakura posted:

Just pressurize the cabin, it'll pop right back into shape.

https://youtu.be/qtKOPF0NyHg

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Platystemon posted:

That will not buff out.

that video is over 10 years old and from what I've found the airframe is JA610A - which was repaired and returned to service in six months. Still going, in fact.

the UAL one, who knows, but it's potentially more fixable than it looks. the probable difference is JA610A was 9 years old at the time and this UAL one is, what, 32?

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 1, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Part of the weird trick is doing it on a sufficiently old plane. :shobon:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
well, yeah. It makes sense to assume this one's going into the parts bin. I was just impressed when I looked up the JAL one that it was both fixable and is still flying today.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

RoastBeef posted:

I didn't know NASA still had a DC-8 in their inventory - it's flying around the new york suburbs at about 1500' right now.

I just saw this guy in the Milwaukee suburbs at 1500'. I was trying to figure out what the heck quad jet would even be flying, and why it would be flying that low.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Jimong5 posted:

I just saw this guy in the Milwaukee suburbs at 1500'. I was trying to figure out what the heck quad jet would even be flying, and why it would be flying that low.

NASA's DC-8 has a CFM56 conversion - same engines as the 737 and many A320s. They normally use it for atmospheric research, but they are taking emissions samples over large cities lately as part of the NOAA AEROMMA program: https://csl.noaa.gov/projects/aeromma/ https://csl.noaa.gov/projects/aeromma/platforms.html

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/pilots-are-seeing-some-very-strange-things-in-arizonas-military-training-ranges

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i love that they've had to come up with multiple new names for when they see a flying object they can't identify

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

0toShifty posted:

NASA's DC-8 has a CFM56 conversion - same engines as the 737 and many A320s. They normally use it for atmospheric research, but they are taking emissions samples over large cities lately as part of the NOAA AEROMMA program: https://csl.noaa.gov/projects/aeromma/ https://csl.noaa.gov/projects/aeromma/platforms.html

And wouldn't you know it every city they test has CFM56 emissions in the atmosphere above it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lil wrinkly plane. lil basset hound fuselage. roof

moparacker
May 8, 2007

For those that don't follow the LEGO thread but would like something like this:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

moparacker posted:

For those that don't follow the LEGO thread but would like something like this:

That is super tempting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lego has some genuinely neat stuff. A friend of mine just had a milestone bday and I gave her a Lego set of the Birds of Paradise plant and a kiddo card that doubled as a coloring book
She sent me a few photos of the finished kit and it's pretty cool and looks great on her desk next to her lego Bonsai.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

All of the LEGO botanical stuff is great. I have them all around my house as they don't wither and die after a month. Nice way to add color.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

moparacker posted:

All of the LEGO botanical stuff is great. I have them all around my house as they don't wither and die after a month. Nice way to add color.

My wife told me she actually loves artificial flowers because they never die and always look good. She also loves Legos. It has made birthday and Christmas shopping so much easier.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Very nice! Botanicals is doing well for LEGO, so you should be set for presents for years.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

"lego flower arrangements debut to runaway success" is the kind of acid-brained nonsense that would have made for hilarious predictions of the future in Bloom County/Outland in 1985. instead thats just the straight-faced actual world being fed to us like we're supposed to take it seriously

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

moparacker posted:

At first I just didn't get it, but then I realized it was mostly I was thinking of them as toys. It's probably closer to something more like "art" collectibles like how some people collect pottery or those garden gnomes, dragons and poo poo.

And they do look neat and are recognizable for what they're supposed to be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They have played us for absolute fools!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

slidebite posted:

At first I just didn't get it, but then I realized it was mostly I was thinking of them as toys. It's probably closer to something more like "art" collectibles like how some people collect pottery or those garden gnomes, dragons and poo poo.

Lego is no longer just playsets. There are sets made now specifically aimed at adults that are basically just sculptures or models of cool things people like and would like to look at in Lego form.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

slidebite posted:

This is pretty much it. My wife made a bouquet for her office of a mix of the sets and actually looks really nice ...

To bring it back to aeronautics, the Shuttle Discovery model is amazing and makes a great display item. It will also never be touched by my children.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My nephew tried to touch my Saturn V and I told him to look with his eyes, not his hands.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

To bring it back to aeronautics, the Shuttle Discovery model is amazing and makes a great display item. It will also never be touched by my children.

Great build. I really liked the use of olive green to hint at various interior aluminum parts. I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't read Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon and ogling the build pictures.

Cojawfee posted:

My nephew tried to touch my Saturn V and I told him to look with his eyes, not his hands.

At least you were there to tell him instead of hearing a crash.

That reminds me that I need to build my 2nd gifted Saturn V to a 1B variant.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Lego is no longer just playsets. There are sets made now specifically aimed at adults that are basically just sculptures or models of cool things people like and would like to look at in Lego form.

I'm confident that all the military stuff cobi does has a bigger user base in adults instead of kids.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i'm curious about the thread title. is the piss truck just the same kinda thing that empties portapotties or is it something more high-tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'm curious about the thread title. is the piss truck just the same kinda thing that empties portapotties or is it something more high-tech

Here you go
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=2114&perpage=40&userid=0#post530221330