Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Ferrinus posted:

Move fast and stake things

Let's just say I'm a STAKEholder who isn't happy with the current management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

TheCenturion posted:

Let's just say I'm a STAKEholder who isn't happy with the current management.

Why isn't anyone getting Imbued nowadays? Well, for starters, angel investors are a lot leerier in this economy.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 4, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Why isn't anyone getting Imbued nowadays? Well, for starters, angel investors are a lot leerier in this economy.

Supernatural powers? In THIS economy? Buddy, best I can do for you is a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire, a notebook, and a decent cell phone with a good camera and three month's prepaid data.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

The weird obsession with big organizations is where H5's neoliberal ideology comes through the strongest and most heavily distorts the game. We may never know why new White Wolf decided that the most important real-world metaphor for hunting vampires was Silicon Valley startup culture, but that's what we got.

It correctly identifies the monsters that really walk among us, such as taxi services, the idea of going outside to pick up a sandwich, and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Since picking up my first V:tM book in the 90s it is only in this moment that I am experiencing true personal horror.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

It correctly identifies the monsters that really walk among us, such as taxi services, the idea of going outside to pick up a sandwich, and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Ferrinus posted:

The weird obsession with big organizations is where H5's neoliberal ideology comes through the strongest and most heavily distorts the game. We may never know why new White Wolf decided that the most important real-world metaphor for hunting vampires was Silicon Valley startup culture, but that's what we got.
Hmm I wonder how most start ups are doing right now?

I heard good things about jucerio since since you can't really mess up a juice maker and SBF seems like his good with money since he's able to buy an whole stadium:roflolmao:

But sarcasm out of way how would you map the recent ongoing collapse of the crypto market and the growing negative public perception towards start ups in general a hypothetical H5.5 if you were writing it?

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 5, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

(Fills in 3 squares on his harano track)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Hmm I wonder how most start ups are doing right now?

I heard good things about jucerio since since you can't really mess up a juice maker and SBF seems like his good with money since he's able to buy an whole stadium:roflolmao:

But sarcasm out of way how would you map the recent ongoing collapse of the crypto market and the growing negative public perception towards to a hypothetical H5.5 if you were writing it?

If I was seriously tasked with writing a Hunter game it'd pretty much be a retread of Vigil, but if I specifically had to follow and build on H5 you'd basically get something in the spirit of the tweet I posted upthread. I wrote more about it in this thread a while ago, but I think the basic ideological assumption H5 makes - that if you have "Drive" you're definitely going to strike out on your own, and only stupid boring fuddy-duddies would ever want to avail themselves of the resources of a large organization - is incoherent at best and reactionary at worst, so by taking it seriously you won't be able to help satirizing it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
It really comes down to whether you'd want to keep the old factions or not. You could use the profusion of gritty street-level hunters as a paradigm shift that sweeps away moribund orgs but now having overtaken the ecosystem now go about consolidating with one another. You could also be like, "this is the oWoD, your randian vitality will revert to its historical function as the catspaw of some ancient conspiracy".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That's just Olivia Hill's game iHunt.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

Personally I would have a large faction of hunters realize that looking over your shoulder 24/7 for monsters that may or may not exists while bumming in a ratty apartment sucks, it's better to have the resources and man power an org can provide than "personal integrity".

An example of that would be becoming an Zwei associate in my weird Project moon/World of darkness fusion thing I'm working on, sure an hunter don't need to become a Zwei associate to clean they section back streets of vampires but the heavy discount that comes with being a associate means the Zwei patrol subscription is much more affordable then protection payment for the local spine ripper syndicate and the payment for Zwei requests are triple compared the what you earn form normal missions...

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 5, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I found out that there exists in Woof 5E a level 5 ritual for Black Spiral Dancers to use who don't want to dance the Black Spiral anymore and break their bond to Bat* and a few thoughts occur. One is why does it exist. Two is do other BSDs really let somebody use it. And three is so Dancers can maybe be redeemed but the Fenrir can't? Okay, sure.

*Changing from Whippoorwill to Bat because Bat = Evil I guess is a coward's choice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I mean the idea of having a way for Black Spiral Dancers to repent of the Wyrm is great, but that's a chronicle defining thing.

Also, Bat is associated with one of humanity's greatest culture heroes alongside Spider, Wolverine, and Super.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's not a redemption and it's not a ritual. It's a five dot loresheet ability usable once per story which basically represents the extreme end of cult deprogramming. It "breaks Bat's hold" but doesn't really go deep into what that means or what the aftermath looks like, leaving that up to the Storyteller. Notably it doesn't say anything about removing any taint of the Wyrm, though there's really no way to tell what's corrupted/tainted any more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

It's not a redemption and it's not a ritual. It's a five dot loresheet ability usable once per story which basically represents the extreme end of cult deprogramming. It "breaks Bat's hold" but doesn't really go deep into what that means or what the aftermath looks like, leaving that up to the Storyteller. Notably it doesn't say anything about removing any taint of the Wyrm, though there's really no way to tell what's corrupted/tainted any more.
This probably sounds dumb but is the Wyrm still in the game

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I found out that there exists in Woof 5E a level 5 ritual for Black Spiral Dancers to use who don't want to dance the Black Spiral anymore and break their bond to Bat* and a few thoughts occur. One is why does it exist. Two is do other BSDs really let somebody use it. And three is so Dancers can maybe be redeemed but the Fenrir can't? Okay, sure.

*Changing from Whippoorwill to Bat because Bat = Evil I guess is a coward's choice.

Alright we need an evil-sounding animal here uhhhh how about Wolf. No wait, gently caress, what else is there

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

Yes it is. I finished mostly reading the book today (I skimmed attributes and skills) and it's very 1e vibes. You got Pentex, the Triat is there and all hosed up, Fomori, Banes.

It's all there, and like I said it has a very 1e vibe with a lot of the racism and gross poo poo cleaned out.

It's also fairly open in how it talks about the legends of the Garou and the times before, so you can pull as much or as little previous metaplot in as you want.

They specifically referenced a Dancer hive from a book I just reviewed, so it's pretty clear they were going for a clean slate with a door open to the previous editions if that's your thing.

I enjoyed it, and I definitely need to go over the rules a bit more because I want to run this at some point.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The Angel Unisystem RPG had a really cool system for building the players' hunter organisation, by putting points into attributes like Clout, Quarters, and Gear. There is no fixed point limit, but the PCs' own rank is inversely proportional to the power of their organisation. You can be the owners of Angel Investigation, foot soldiers in Wolfram & Hart, or middle management in some up-and-coming national hunter group.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Which doesn't really change the question of "why on earth do BSDs have a playable lore sheet when the Get of Fenris are universally unplayable by writer fiat?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Which doesn't really change the question of "why on earth do BSDs have a playable lore sheet when the Get of Fenris are universally unplayable by writer fiat?"

I've seen speculation they weren't even going to have the Dancers as enemies at all so this is like two or more versions crashing in on itself.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Kurieg posted:

It’s not a sheet about being a BSD. It’s a sheet about knowing a little too much for your own good about them. The Cult of Fenris also has a loresheet that indicates that you were one of the Get that left rather than join the Cult.

Weirdly there isn’t one for the Stargazers, which feels like an oversight. Their reasoning behind walking away from the Nation is probably the most interesting to me - like the BSDs, they believe the war is unwinnable for Gaian forces but the Stargazers want to focus on rebuilding in the aftermath of the Apocalypse.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 5, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

Weirdly there isn’t one for the Stargazers, which feels like an oversight. Their reasoning behind walking away from the Nation is probably the most interesting to me - like the BSDs, they believe the war is unwinnable for Gaian forces but the Stargazers want to focus on rebuilding in the aftermath of the Apocalypse.

So the Stargazers are still extant?

Do they still have Kailindo

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

So the Stargazers are still extant?

Yes, they're an NPC faction that usually seems to slot into either being an ally of convenience or an accidental/incidental antagonist. Chimera doesn't seem to be their Patron Spirit any more and no one knows what if anything has taken its place, which probably doesn't help their reputation. They only have one sample NPC stat block but it doesn't indicate any existence of Kailindo.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

It's not mentioned but like a lot of things in the book, there's the implication that if that's what you want as the ST, nobody is going to stop you.

Hell, Lunatics are still in there, they're just not called that anymore.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

SimonChris posted:

The Angel Unisystem RPG had a really cool system for building the players' hunter organisation, by putting points into attributes like Clout, Quarters, and Gear. There is no fixed point limit, but the PCs' own rank is inversely proportional to the power of their organisation. You can be the owners of Angel Investigation, foot soldiers in Wolfram & Hart, or middle management in some up-and-coming national hunter group.

A huge part of Conspiracy X was building your cell's assets and resources. Your character background would give you 'pulling strings' points in various categories, and everybody in the cell pools their poo poo. You're in the army? You can probably get guns. You're in NSA? You can probably get codebreaking tools. You're from CDC? You can get contamination suits, maybe even a level three or four biolab if you have enough pull.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

For WoD/CofD games, Deviant has a similar system with its Conspiracy-building mechanics.

It’s focus in the core is on Conspiracy-as-Antagonist, but the Devoted Companion provides mechanics for building a Conspiracy that the PCs are technically allied with.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Having now made a bunch of characters for Deviant, while I love the game, tying variation power to scar level is nice thematically, but poo poo for play. There needs to be more scars and deviations that increase the magnitude, while making it so that taking a level 5 scar doesn't straight up cripple your character. Many of them are more limiting than a vampire's sunlight allergy or werewolf's silver bane. I think maybe taking more inspiration from Aberrant while limiting the upper levels of the powers to what Deviant currently has would have made a more enjoyable game, but I do love the feel of this.

I know others have actual play experience, I'd love to hear what you made or your players made and how scars were handled.

My current character is a thief who set up to steal a new industrial chemical, was shot by outside security and fell into a vat of chemicals, now her blood is all hosed up, giving her incredible healing powers, enhanced dexterity, and a pressurized blast of blood when struck (deadly ichor with knockdown). Unfortunatly, she has almost complete amnesia from the time before her accident, which me and my ST are going to have fun with working in her past criminal connections, and the need to be eating constantly so that her blood ( THE JUICE) doesn't consume her body.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Soonmot posted:

Having now made a bunch of characters for Deviant, while I love the game, tying variation power to scar level is nice thematically, but poo poo for play. There needs to be more scars and deviations that increase the magnitude, while making it so that taking a level 5 scar doesn't straight up cripple your character. Many of them are more limiting than a vampire's sunlight allergy or werewolf's silver bane. I think maybe taking more inspiration from Aberrant while limiting the upper levels of the powers to what Deviant currently has would have made a more enjoyable game, but I do love the feel of this.

I know others have actual play experience, I'd love to hear what you made or your players made and how scars were handled.

My current character is a thief who set up to steal a new industrial chemical, was shot by outside security and fell into a vat of chemicals, now her blood is all hosed up, giving her incredible healing powers, enhanced dexterity, and a pressurized blast of blood when struck (deadly ichor with knockdown). Unfortunatly, she has almost complete amnesia from the time before her accident, which me and my ST are going to have fun with working in her past criminal connections, and the need to be eating constantly so that her blood ( THE JUICE) doesn't consume her body.

Hi! Been a Deviant GM for a few months now.

As crippling as the Scars are in the game, I prefer that to an Aberrant-style model. Without high-Mag Scars giving serious mechanical effects, you remove a lot of what separates Deviant from being just another street-level superhero game. A lot of the interesting gameplay is built around how Deviants cope with these terrible effects, and they provide a plausible justification as to why so many Deviants go renegade after being altered by their Conspiracy (even if voluntary).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Soonmot posted:

In the campaign in, my character is a looks-like-a-Boyle-style-rage-zombie-but-this-is-what-you-get-when-you-try-to-mash-a-bunch-of-host-shards-into-one-guy, modeled as a 5-dot alternate form (Super-Str / Super-Dex / Carapace 3, with Murderous Urge while activated), and in practice I've been able to keep scar-consequences relatively low key between using the Chimeric adaptation to sand off the roughest edges (1/chapter drop scar magnitude to 1 does work) and having a lot of "this is really bad, buuut only while it's active" things (the aforementioned Murderous Urge, probably going to aim for a bigger Storm Caller with Conspicuous-Appearance-while-active (ripping open holes in the gauntlet! and revealing his true horror underneath!). Also, Maintenance and Cooldown are easy breezy scars to have that only come into play if you MUST use all your shiny toys ALL the time.

Honestly picking "Transmissible" as an optional thing has done more to define how the character engages with the world around him, between one fateful combat turning into a multi-session oh-gently caress-oh-poo poo-hunt-this-down-oh-it's-just-worse-now outbreak, and it taking uhhh 94 sessions (I checked!) to learn that it doesn't transmit to other Deviants and major-template-havers. But I'm really glad I modeled that with something other than the Scar system, because I don't even know how you'd do it without making it crippling.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Nessus posted:

Others have given you the basic confirmation, but the Wyrm (and the Triat in general) is presented very differently in W5.

The book goes out of its way to tell you that the Wyrm isn't evil, only ascendant and out of balance. It's not acting with any real purpose, just a blind idiot god a la Azathoth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Free Gratis posted:

Others have given you the basic confirmation, but the Wyrm (and the Triat in general) is presented very differently in W5.

The book goes out of its way to tell you that the Wyrm isn't evil, only ascendant and out of balance. It's not acting with any real purpose, just a blind idiot god a la Azathoth.
That honestly seems consistent with the previous work, though it got more pronounced and clearly articulated as you went along and usually was in the form of "cosmologically this is true. Anyway, Hrugguth, the Urge-Wyrm of Skullfucking, is planning to piss purple poo poo into your water supply:"

Logically there would still be 'wyrm aligned' spirits floating around that were not fucko bonkers. Like mushrooms.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Logically there would still be 'wyrm aligned' spirits floating around that were not fucko bonkers. Like mushrooms.

This was sort of hinted at that there were, or that it was possible to free them from corruption,* but that it was super rare.

*There was a small camp of Shadow Lords who guilty over their ancestors being conquistador assholes who killed all the Camazotz werebats were working hard on trying to redeem Bat as a spirit they either managed to partially cleanse the spirit or found an untainted portion and were working on that.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the Wyrm proper in OG Werewolf was never portrayed as a sentient actor, none of the three were except in the broadest mythological sense. It didn't pop in like a Captain Planet villain and wring its hands together while trying to get the local forest chopped down for a strip mall. But it as a primary component of the universe had been twisted from entropy to corruption, which trickled down to everything that was serving it. And those servants were sentient actors, so they were the ones all-in on the evil boat and the ones that the PCs would encounter. Mentions were made now and then about uncorrupted followers of the original destruction Wyrm still being out there doing their thing, but since they weren't the ones causing trouble, there wasn't much reason for PCs to run into them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I definitely got the impression from reading Apocalypse that the Wyrm was a sentient actor, just not one that showed up in person very much (or, in practice, ever).

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
The Original Uncorrupted Wyrm was definitely spoken of, sure. However, The Wyrm the Antagonist had many faces that gave it character and a sense of proactivity. The Triatic Wyrm (Eater of Souls, Beast of War, Defiler), The Urge Wyrms, The Maeljin Incarna, etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I definitely got the impression from reading Apocalypse that the Wyrm was a sentient actor, just not one that showed up in person very much (or, in practice, ever).
The idea was that the Wyrm was all hosed up and split into multiple heads which just all kind of pulled together. Presumably, poo poo like conflict between Beast-of-war and Eater-of-souls was part of why things weren't even worse, because sometimes fomori manufacturers were sending Nemesis after their corporate rivals as much as the Garou.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A bit like an Azazoth and Nyarlathotep thing maybe.

On another note; I feel like coming up with Gentry should be fun but it's oddly tricky. I think it's a matter of figuring out a theme and vibe that manages the right mix of strange and scary without getting TOO ridiculous. I might also just be fussy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On another note; I feel like coming up with Gentry should be fun but it's oddly tricky. I think it's a matter of figuring out a theme and vibe that manages the right mix of strange and scary without getting TOO ridiculous. I might also just be fussy.

The line between "just enough" and "too much" is also in a different spot at the table than it is when you're sitting around thinking of stuff. By and large players are gonna go along with whatever you put down unless you've lost their interest for some other reason*

Plus different Gentry are going to present as horrific at different rates so one isn't necessarily a failure as a character if they don't hit out of the gate. Some might be immediately terrifying, some of them only get under your skin over time, some of them seem almost benign until you look back on the experience and see it for what it was all along.

*or, I guess, if you've got a lot of "so THAT just happened" player-characters but tonally that's always just gonna be a different game if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The impression i got is that the actual triat, as pure embodiments of concepts are not sentient, but in the roiling mixture of Entropy and Stasis everything that's ushered in from that point at least has some kind of 'mind' and motive drive. The Triatic Wyrm all seem to have some kind of Goal in mind and the Maeljin incarnae are definitely fully realized individuals.

Meanwhile most of the Wyld entities are barely comprehensible because Wyld has more or less maintained it's purity. And gaian spirits are imminently understandable since they're composed out of a balance of the 3 forces.