Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thank you!! :wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Grassy Knowles posted:

This is a really gross way to talk to the free devs of the free app, you’re welcome to use safari and try to complain to Astral about any features you find missing

my bad but cyrano's posts are completely valid and this persons response was :cry: whatever i don't know the code for that dumb crying one. also "if you don't like the app you try making a better one" is always and forever a dumb rear end response to criticism, especially polite criticism (not my post)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

and the reasoning is both "we don't want people to use imgur anymore because we don't know what will happen" and also "just use the imgur shortcut it's even easier than before, i didnt' even use the feature lol"

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Tenkaris posted:

We get that a lot of people just want to keep using Imgur, I'm doing it too.

Yeah, we know.

And it's qq :qq:

Sorry you don't like that we're offering you a perfectly reasonable workaround that is just as quick and easy to use? How rude of us.

poo poo I even demonstrated how quick you can use it yesterday for those who need to see it to believe it :shrug:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 4, 2023

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tenkaris posted:

Sorry you don't like that we're offering you a perfectly reasonable workaround that is just as quick and easy to use? How rude of us.

yup, that is the situation.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

b_d posted:

yup, that is the situation.

Glad you are keeping up.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Put the imgur thing back in
Whatever imgur scraper was running as part of the great archival project can just run daily to capture any new imgur posts until imgur breaks. RPO is like a day of broken images.
bing bong so simple!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Just because it’s viewed as useful to you doesn’t mean folks who are maintaining it need to do anything to meet your whims. They’re not trying to sell you anything, they’re making something useful to themselves (either in end function or skills learned while doing) those of us who do not participate at that level are able to enjoy in the umbrella effect of it being available through an app developer with a paid subscription publishing it, but there is nothing to compel someone to work on something they dont want to do. when the attitude of entitlement permeates discussion around projects such as this it either makes doing the work thankless or sharing the work thankless. This app has been short developers for a long time and only recently has any kind of progress been visible. Removing the capability solved multiple problems and the reasoning behind it is documented alongside a more functional free workaround being provided.

The reason the shortcut is more functional is because it associates uploads with an imgur user account, which using the api key did not do.

Again, go be whiny babies at Astral for doing nothing with all the efforts of goons in archiving imgur and not yet deploying an alternative. see how he takes the feedback, he lives in the tech support forum.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think the reasoning made sense at the time but given that clearly a lot of people badly miss the feature, some people are avoiding updating the app to keep it (never a good sign), and the proposed workaround doesn't actually fix the problem, maybe it could be reconsidered?

Or maybe it's not the users' fault that the situation is bad?

I think someone said they couldn't use the shortcut without making an imgur account so it sounds like a downgrade in that aspect, usability / convenience wise. wouldn't you agree? edit: answered

edit small aside in response to above: it would be different if we were talking about developing a new feature. not reverting the removal of a feature

big deal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 4, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

You definitely can use the shortcut without an Imgur account? None of my shortcut uploads are tied to my Imgur account.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

b_d posted:

I think the reasoning made sense at the time but given that clearly a lot of people badly miss the feature, some people are avoiding updating the app to keep it (never a good sign), and the proposed workaround doesn't actually fix the problem, maybe it could be reconsidered?

Or maybe it's not the users' fault that the situation is bad?

I think someone said they couldn't use the shortcut without making an imgur account so it sounds like a downgrade in that aspect, usability / convenience wise. wouldn't you agree?

No because those specific imgur uploads are undesirable per Astral (notice a trend here). imgur uploads not associated with an account are specifically subject to additional culling rules and constitute the main worry of imgur uploaded materials. There is no reason for someone to develop a solution that makes those anon uploads easier other than a few braying folks in here.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Tenkaris posted:

You definitely can use the shortcut without an Imgur account? None of my shortcut uploads are tied to my Imgur account.

Grassy Knowles posted:

No because those specific imgur uploads are undesirable per Astral (notice a trend here). imgur uploads not associated with an account are specifically subject to additional culling rules and constitute the main worry of imgur uploaded materials. There is no reason for someone to develop a solution that makes those anon uploads easier other than a few braying folks in here.

word

edit: the solution was already developed btw

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah same.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

And yeah I'm pretty sure it's the admins who wanted less Imgur links posted, commie kong quoted a Pragmatica post, but I'm not sure if they reached out via PM as well?

They acknowledge they can't force us to stop and many people will continue, but I think they wanted it removed from the app just to cut down on it/not encourage it by including it as a feature.

The fact that the great Imgur save project has been a dead fish for 6 weeks with no updates from Astral is just the unfortunate reality of our dead gay forums status quo :( and that might also mean scraping new links made since the backups may not happen. We are all sitting ducks 🦆

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

b_d posted:

edit small aside in response to above: it would be different if we were talking about developing a new feature. not reverting the removal of a feature

I hear you but that’s how it goes with maintaining and developing an interdependent software product. Imgur has proven to be unreliable and can reasonably be expected to break things completely at some point in the future here given their stated intent. If you’d prefer you can view it as a preemptive bug fix for that.

In addition, the feature was always unreliable as the app’s api creds to Imgur would be rate limited fairly quickly as everyone using Awful is pulling from the same pool of resources. If LitterlyAMetaphor decided to go post 4 dozen mildly rehashed LotR Memes in the meme thread one month then that’s as many uploads taken from the pool from anyone else. “Use a shortcut” has been a long-standing solution around here for people running into this. I get it being an inconvenience; it is for those of use using it as well but it’s the situation we’re in.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

all right. but if people are avoiding updating because the sole change is removing a convenient feature they're using, that's a bad situation and seems like it should be completely unnecessary. what if you had to go to options and check a box that says "i understand that i shouldn't use this and i should use a shortcut that does the exact same thing instead"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
that sounds really dumb and the people refusing to update can enjoy an outdated app

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

is it feasible to attempt to contribute to an ios app if i dont currently havea apple mac computer. i guess i don't necessarily need to be able to test poo poo on my phone immediately

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
You could pay for a MacOS VM somewhere and use it to learn the swift programming language, the app code is on github. any changes you made would have to be approved and merged into the app by pokeyman, or you can fork the code and make your own.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I hear there’s a secret feature where if you make 50 posts about it the feature comes back. Keep going! You’re almost there!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Dave posted:

I hear there’s a secret feature where if you make 50 posts about it the feature comes back. Keep going! You’re almost there!

thanbks. working on it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

`Nemesis posted:

You could pay for a MacOS VM somewhere and use it to learn the swift programming language, the app code is on github. any changes you made would have to be approved and merged into the app by pokeyman, or you can fork the code and make your own.

m y specific question was whether i could meaningfully develop for ios without a mac these days, which as i recall was difficult or impossible to do in the past. i didn't ask what language it's in or how github works. but thank you

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

b_d posted:

m y specific question was whether i could meaningfully develop for ios without a mac these days, which as i recall was difficult or impossible to do in the past. i didn't ask what language it's in or how github works. but thank you

no problem

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

b_d posted:

It's doable, if by "without a mac" you include "renting someone else's cloud in the mac" and you have a great internet connection.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Tenkaris posted:

Going off this, how would you even make it tied to an Imgur account? I followed the steps in this post:

FlapYoJacks posted:

Throw this on your homepage and call it good.

And I'm signed into the Imgur app, but nothing I've uploaded through the shortcut shows in my upload history...

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

fartknocker posted:

Going off this, how would you even make it tied to an Imgur account? I followed the steps in this post:

And I'm signed into the Imgur app, but nothing I've uploaded through the shortcut shows in my upload history...

Click the arrow on the Imgur action and disable 'Upload anonymously'

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

101 posted:

Click the arrow on the Imgur action and disable 'Upload anonymously'

A random test:

Takes their app a bit to update (lol) but it works :tipshat:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I'm not getting the correct back button on my iPhone, it does show up on the iPad though. Both are on the latest App Store version.

e: Small details too but the Edit button in the top right of the bookmarks and the Cancel / Preview buttons when posting should be the rounded typeface.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 6, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tenkaris posted:

It's still pretty easy, y'all are just real angsty about having to do it slightly differently. Like you can literally have the shortcut in your share sheet, then bam it's been uploaded and it's in your clipboard?!

Like, please get over it and just use the shortcut, this is stupid to repeat this exchange every week

Or make your own app and show us how superior it can be done but just please move on with your lives lol

insane reaction to a basic feature request that worked perfectly and was removed for a stupid reason

The Dave posted:

it worked when everyone posted about the really bad proposed new profile picture sizes

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

insane reaction to a basic feature request that worked perfectly and was removed for a stupid reason

it worked when everyone posted about the really bad proposed new profile picture sizes

:okboomer:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

:lurkmore:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

:unjustpost:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Lately my phone has been getting insanely hot and burning through like 1% per minute while using Awful, is this happening for anyone else or has Apple just hit the secret Buy A New Phone button?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What model

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has anyone proven yet that it isn't mining bitcoins?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
Hey can the format option when text is highlighted be moved to the front?

I’m on iOS and given the layout I think “no” is the answer but gently caress I use those more than any other option in that menu except [img] and paste

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Did a new update go out? App seems to have gone a bit weird in various ways in last 24 hours

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m seeing Twitter embeds being messed up but I awesome that is their fault.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

smackfu posted:

I’m seeing Twitter embeds being messed up but I awesome that is their fault.

I’m glad you have self esteem now that twitter embeds are broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They break randomly all the time it’s nothing to do with the app and everything to do with twitter being even shittier than it already was

I look forward to the day it breaks forever because no good post has ever been embedded in a tweet.