Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Ok Comboomer posted:

American Musical is a moog partner and they do zero credit check interest free financing but this isn’t the Bad With Money thread

I'm not sure if they have two financing systems there, but Affirm is not a great solution if that's the only one they offer. You need to link it to a credit card, and you need to have the full remaining balance available in credit every month. If you owe them $800 and need to make a $50 payment, you still need $800 in available credit on the card you used to get financing or you default and they demand full payment. And if you carry a balance month to month, it's also not interest free financing, you're just paying the interest to your cc company. If you want to pay it off early, it's a huge hassle. I went through this when I financed Ableton suite and never again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I'm not sure if they have two financing systems there, but Affirm is not a great solution if that's the only one they offer. You need to link it to a credit card, and you need to have the full remaining balance available in credit every month. If you owe them $800 and need to make a $50 payment, you still need $800 in available credit on the card you used to get financing or you default and they demand full payment. And if you carry a balance month to month, it's also not interest free financing, you're just paying the interest to your cc company. If you want to pay it off early, it's a huge hassle. I went through this when I financed Ableton suite and never again

I was deffo not talking about affirm, but maybe the matriarch is too pricey for their in-house financing (I think the cutoff is like $2500?)

In either case, I thought I was clear that I was being facetious and in no way encourage poor financial decision-making

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Boody posted:

They did get the Edge out eventually.

If its not on sweetwater its not out imo

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Where's the BCR32, Behringer you wankers

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

CatBlack posted:

If its not on sweetwater its not out imo

Looks like released in Europe in small batches. I picked one up in the UK a few weeks ago but seems European stockists are all out now and not expecting stock for 6-8 weeks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really, really want a Matriarch.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Any recommendations on dub sirens? There seem to be a handful of options on eBay and Reverb, some bespoke jobs and others like BeniDub's offerings. I'm leaning towards a BeniDub DS01E but it's a bit pricier than I'd like and really it doesn't nee to do much.

EDIT: Onboard delay would be a nice feature though, something I don't think the more DIY-lookin'-rear end options don't have.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 3, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Any recommendations on dub sirens? There seem to be a handful of options on eBay and Reverb, some bespoke jobs and others like BeniDub's offerings. I'm leaning towards a BeniDub DS01E but it's a bit pricier than I'd like and really it doesn't nee to do much.

EDIT: Onboard delay would be a nice feature though, something I don't think the more DIY-lookin'-rear end options don't have.

Purchased this one for a friend and we are still having a blast playing with it everytime he brings it.

https://www.rigsmith.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6yLp6KT2AE

e: actually it was an older model but mostly the same as the new version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqrSy7aOtCU

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 3, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
sirs and madams and others -- the site is now called gearspace :colbert:

I told sweetwater to go ahead and put me on the pro mini list, at 1015 am they said they showed an order expected ETA in oct and then within 30 mins they said "oops now it says January, I've never seen that happen before".

Whatever, they don't charge until they actually ship and I'm going to spend like, 50 times that much money on nonsense gear and possibly a nice saxophone in that time, if life goes well :rolleye:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I told sweetwater to go ahead and put me on the pro mini list, at 1015 am they said they showed an order expected ETA in oct and then within 30 mins they said "oops now it says January, I've never seen that happen before".

:lol:

I hope someday there’s a book about Behringer. I have a feeling that Ulli is very Musk-ish and just storms around ordering a bunch of underpaid engineers, “why don’t we have a <blank> on the market?! And it should be $99! Go make it happen!”

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I hope someday there’s a book about Behringer. I have a feeling that Ulli is very Musk-ish and just storms around ordering a bunch of underpaid engineers, “why don’t we have a <blank> on the market?! And it should be $99! Go make it happen!”

I imagine it's an apt comparison, with the exception that Uli doesn't claim to have founded Mackie after he started stealing their designs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Nah, say what you will about Behringer but Uli can clearly execute on a level that Elon could never approximate if it weren’t for his ability to buy and replace real innovative talent at places like Tesla/SpaceX/Twitter

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Nah, say what you will about Behringer but Uli can clearly execute on a level that Elon could never approximate if it weren’t for his ability to buy and replace real innovative talent at places like Tesla/SpaceX/Twitter

Now I feel bad for dumping on the B, because I think Uli would run intellectual laps around Elon, and, if Uli Behringer for some reason invited me to a house party I would absolutely go and if I got face time with him I would try to think of something interesting to ask to get some insight into him. I would not go to an event with Musk even if it gave me a chance to tell him in person my low opinion of him.

The only Behringer product I've had a negative experience with was a noisy mixing board, and that's a pretty common complaint about the Eurorack series of mixers they make, and also they are priced well below comparable A&H stuff. I think the bArp is a well made, reasonably priced, thing. I almost pulled the trigger on a Neutron the other week because I saw a caseless one for $150 and even if I think of it as an obnoxiously oversized ring modulator that happens to have a bunch of other stuff, that seems fine (except for the part where I already have 4 semis in a perpetual state of being racked and unracked as I fill rackspace).

I'm not annoyed by the unclear launch timing and :lol: 2-year?? hype train on the pro vs mini, I'm just amused by it. It's a fine fire-and-forget preorder, which I'm only likely to cancel if information about a eurorack version hardens in the meantime and it's some kind of reasonable <=22hp plate.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah as much as i like to make fun of behringer and i find uli to be pretty contemptuous. at the very least his companies make products that work and are dirt cheap (relatively)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I chronically look at the Legendary 2500 series and think about just jamming most of it into a small rack. I think this stuff looks nice, distinctive, it's cheap as bollacks and the stuff it's copying shouldn't offend anyone.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Haha yea I just added all that up, and, without a rack, that is $750 worth of modules bought brand new.

I might just do it some day, with 3xVCO and the mixer etc. Cheep.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I chronically look at the Legendary 2500 series and think about just jamming most of it into a small rack. I think this stuff looks nice, distinctive, it's cheap as bollacks and the stuff it's copying shouldn't offend anyone.

same, and also their Roland 100 clone stuff

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I wish they would use nuts on their jacks

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

If I get any 2500 stuff I am probably no poo poo going to start with the mixer, because if there's a single component I'd expect to maybe have an annoying hiss to it, there you go, and how well that one piece does the thing it's supposed to do against known inputs is interesting. Also interesting to side-by-side it with the relatively more feature rich but also 4.5x as expensive Cosmix Pro, only analyzing it from the perspective of noise floor.

a mental block I am having is that the more I tinker with this $400 alto sax, the more my brain chants TENOR, and at that point I'm instantly looking at low/mid 4-digits, it would eat my funstuff budget well into next year even if all goes well. I figure I'm best off holding back on purchases and continuing to practice as much as is fun, and the path will become clear.

Been using my modular racks as a Very Expensive Metronome :laugh: I am going to get a sax pickup mic and a behr PP1 so I can dick with playing the thing through Spectraphon, that was half the reason I got it (that plus the ~2000 hrs lifetime play time or whatever I got from 8-9 years of band).

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 4, 2023

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

a mental block I am having is that the more I tinker with this $400 alto sax, the more my brain chants TENOR

gently caress, me too. drat this sax addiction.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you do get a 2500 Behringer clone I'd be interested in hearing your experience with it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
If I weren't still on the "gently caress B for that antisemetic joke on Peter Kirn" train I'd have no beef with their clones of stuff that's long been out of production, like the Pro-1 and Monopoly. And hell not gonna lie their cheapo 2600 is still tempting.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Tayter Swift posted:

If I weren't still on the "gently caress B for that antisemetic joke on Peter Kirn" train I'd have no beef with their clones of stuff that's long been out of production, like the Pro-1 and Monopoly. And hell not gonna lie their cheapo 2600 is still tempting.

I honestly never got the antisemitic angle. It was stupid, petty, childish, and worst of all not even funny, but like, the image on the fake product was a spitting image caricature of Peter Kirn, sniffing corks because the joke was he was a "cork sniffing wine snob" of the synth world. The nose was long like Pinocchio so that it could sniff 3 corks in a row, and because he was lying about being able to tell the difference. It just never made any sense to me why it would have anything to do with Semitism.

toadee fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 4, 2023

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I can see the anti-semitism angle if I am giving them 0 charity but they haven't done more stuff like that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty much the only behringer product I have ever been interested in getting is the model D, and that’s only because the alternative is over five grand

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Pretty much the only behringer product I have ever been interested in getting is the model D, and that’s only because the alternative is over five grand

Give in to the dark side, buy an ipad and get the model d app.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

SE-02! And it has patch memory

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CatBlack posted:

I can see the anti-semitism angle if I am giving them 0 charity but they haven't done more stuff like that.

I’m not one to blithely Pangloss over bad behavior, etc, nor do I want to give dog whistle actions the benefit of the doubt, but I find the idea that a contemporary German company that is as highly plugged into school and education markets across Europe as Behringer would make an organization-level choice to basically do an “ok symbol”-level public display of semi-covert antisemitism somewhat more far-fetched than the idea that some marketing dipshit in the relatively small synth division (or maybe even Uli himself) thought that they were getting a sick burn on Peter Kirn and didn’t stop to think about how their dumb Pinocchio drawing might be interpreted.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think it's at least somewhat decent that after having his feet held to the fire, Uli eventually followed through on his synths for kids promises.
Low bar, but there's a lot of executives out there that would just try to continue on and ignore backlash.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001

curried lamb of God posted:

SE-02! And it has patch memory

Plus sync, various cross-mod options, a far more usable sequencer, an editor app, and a decent delay.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I like Behringer products because they're no frills and provide exactly what it says on the tin without needing to drop five times as much on a Roland or Shure or whatever or twenty times as much on a used piece of 70s/80s kit on Reverb.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kazinsal posted:

I like Behringer products because they're no frills and provide exactly what it says on the tin without needing to drop five times as much on a Roland or Shure or whatever or twenty times as much on a used piece of 70s/80s kit on Reverb.

Speaking strictly from my experience in the a/v equipment world, behringer products aren’t really that much cheaper when you factor in how many times you’re going to need to replace it due to random failure or show-derailing glitches compared to the shure or Roland

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

saxes on the mind? synths? mutant brain?

what am I doing in life

https://soundcloud.com/suboptimal-synthesis/epic-synth-guy

edit: bass drum straight from the unicorn's rear end. sidechaining one of the multed sax lines :laugh:

edit: oh yea someone on modwiggler asked if someone could scope an LFO and a smooth random going through Psychedelic Voltage Processor, so I did. This thing is hilarious and if it was less of a one-trick pony I could see having like six of them. I wonder if they'll make any other obnoxiously loving glaring christmas tree plated things. THE RBGAMER IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE RACK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyaboYVvhMc

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 5, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

there's really no reason that an oscillator front plate shouldn't strobe at a rate related to its frequency in a color that relates to its waveform. OLED faceplates when?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Give in to the dark side, buy an ipad and get the model d app.

Making music on ipad sucks absolute rear end.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

W424 posted:

Making music on ipad sucks absolute rear end.

can't even connect an M8

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

can't even connect an M8

Yes you can, I've driven AUM completely with my M8. Got a usb-c to usb micro wire off Amazon and it's grand.

Not sure if lightning will do the right thing. Technically it should be fine, it's all usb. But Apple can be weird with that stuff.

Soft synths ain't for everyone and I get it but a room full of heavy hardware and nests of wires ain't for me. I love space farting on the ipad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yes you can, I've driven AUM completely with my M8. Got a usb-c to usb micro wire off Amazon and it's grand.

Not sure if lightning will do the right thing. Technically it should be fine, it's all usb. But Apple can be weird with that stuff.

Soft synths ain't for everyone and I get it but a room full of heavy hardware and nests of wires ain't for me. I love space farting on the ipad.

Word? I thought there was no serial on iOS. Or maybe that's for the phones.
Edit: I'm using headless and m8.run says it can't do serial on the iPad mini 6.
Edit 2: so yeah proably works for MIDI but not headless?

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 5, 2023